Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions vs Queensland Reds Sat 8 June 10:30am; Sky Sports 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

****bags. From an Irish perspective, assuming you want our players in the team, that's two of our frontrunners gone. Serious bad luck.

BOD, stay off the field, damnit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,016 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

its_phil wrote: »
    Devastated for Tommy Bowe.

Sky has just lost all its viewership for women who were watching before the injury.

Excuse you, what makes you think it's just the female contingent that would fancy a bit of Bowemance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Excuse you, what makes you think it's just the female contingent that would fancy a bit of Bowemance?

Classy man..... Nothing wrong with a bit of Bromance if that's your thing dude*.

* Not my thing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

Can't understand why people are calling for Zebo to be the potential replacement for Bowe. He's in his first full year of International rugby.

Has nobody learned from what happened Earls and Fitzgerald last time around?

My guess is that Gatland will up Visser before Zebo and in the long run I think that's better for Zebo, Munster and Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭Hype710

Profiler wrote: »
    Can't understand why people are calling for Zebo to be the potential replacement for Bowe. He's in his first full year of International rugby.

My guess is that Gatland will up Visser before Zebo and in the long run I think that's better for Zebo, Munster and Ireland.

Utter rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Fitzgerald? He was one of the stand out performers on the last tour and started the second test, laughable comment at best

Hype710 wrote: »
    Utter rubbish.

Which bit?

That Zebo is in the first year of his international carear?

Or that being on the 2009 Lions tour damaged both Earls and Fitzgerald's carers?

Or that Visser is more likely to get a call from Gatland than Zebo?

Fitzgerald? He was one of the stand out performers on the last tour and started the second test, laughable comment at best

My point is being on that physically tough hard attrition tour hasn't helped Fitz since. Same with Earls, who went out suffered a set back in terms of confidence and hasn't reached the heights he was at pre 2009 tour since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭DGRulz

My point is being on that physically tough hard attrition tour hasn't helped Fitz since. Same with Earls, who went out suffered a set back in terms of confidence and hasn't reached the heights he was at pre 2009 tour since.

Earle suffered a set back because he decided he wanted to be nothing but a center and was fairly average.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

I doubt Visser will be called up, Gatland will pick someone that can cover a few positions. There has been no outstanding candidate for the 23 jersey yet so can see him replacing Bowe with someone that can cover fullback and wing. Zebo fits this profile, and the fact Gatland mentioned him before announcing his squad means that he would be in his thoughts as a replacement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,184 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Are you suggesting a tour in June 2009 has led to Fitzgerald suffering repeated injuries, the first of which was 5 month later and a freak accident where he twisted his knee?

Earls also played his best rugby since then. He had a great WC and has improved massively as a player in terms of defence and awareness.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Which bit?

That Zebo is in the first year of his international carear?

Or that being on the 2009 Lions tour damaged both Earls and Fitzgerald's carers?

Or that Visser is more likely to get a call from Gatland than Zebo?

How did that tour damage Fitzgerald's career? Explain that to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

While I agree with that point (Should have stated that in your earlier post:rolleyes:) IFitz announced himself on the World stage on that tour. While the tour may be partly to blame for his series of injuries I still think it benefited his game immensely being there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

Swiwi wrote: »
    Who did get MOTM in the end?

It was Luke Morahan, Swiwi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

Cheers, mate. I owe you one.

Buer wrote: »
    Are you suggesting a tour in June 2009 has led to Fitzgerald suffering repeated injuries, the first of which was 5 month later and a freak accident where he twisted his knee?

Earls also played his best rugby since then. He had a great WC and has improved massively as a player in terms of defence and awareness.

Ireland suffered a great number of injuries to top line test players in the last 12 to 18 months, quite a few of them were 2009 Lions tourists.

Sean O'Brien has had a stop start year with hip and knee injuries, I understand the prestige these tours bring but tours like this at the end of a very tough cycle of Rugby, just before we head into another world cup build up will not help O'Brien, Heaslip, O'Connell.

Kearney and Bowe (2009) tourists have also had serious injury issues between Lions tours.

If people could look beyond a few inches past their nose then I think they would reluctant to start beating the drum for yet more Irish players heading out to the join the Lions.

For all that improvement Earls is no longer an Ireland regular is he?

When nobody will entertain you....!

Ireland suffered a great number of injuries to top line test players in the last 12 to 18 months, quite a few of them were 2009 Lions tourists.

Sean O'Brien has had a stop start year with hip and knee injuries, I understand the prestige these tours bring but tours like this at the end of a very tough cycle of Rugby, just before we head into another world cup build up will not help O'Brien, Heaslip, O'Connell.

Kearney and Bowe (2009) tourists have also had serious injury issues between Lions tours.

If people could look beyond a few inches past their nose then I think they would reluctant to start beating the drum for yet more Irish players heading out to the join the Lions.

For all that improvement Earls is no longer an Ireland regular is he?

Massive difference with SOBs injuries and Fitzgerald's which was due to twisting his knee in the ground and complete freak injury.

There are 4 years between Lions tours. Most players will have significant injuries in that spell. What can Leamy and Flannery blame? Did DOC and Heaslip suffer anything significant? It's completely pie in the sky stuff.

The Irish players might be tired or run out of steam but to blame the Lions tour for injuries suffered in the couple of years after a tour is fanciful to say the least.

As for Earls, he's fallen down the pecking order since the emergence of others. It doesn't change the fact he has improved or has played his best rugby since the last tour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Wow. Gatland was a bit of a d*ck there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Hagz wrote: »
    Wow. Gatland was a bit of a d*ck there.

Fill us in...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

When? How? Where?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Fill us in...

Ah he just came off pretty condescending.
    Sky just showed a clip of the press conference where Gatland said Bowe's out of the tour.

The guy just asked "bring us up to speed on Tommy"

Gatland: Yeh it doesn't look good. Looks like he's broken a bone in his hand, doctors saying he probably needs an operation.

Guy: So, that is it then for him...if that is the case

Then Gatland just paused and let out a very condescending smile and said "I would say so, you can deduct that from that".

How did that tour damage Fitzgerald's career? Explain that to me.

Player well fair programs are in place for a very good reason.

Given he picked up more than one serious knee injury, do you seriously think playing almost non stop top level Rugby with Club (2009 Heineken Cup Winner) Country (2009 Grand Slam) and then Lions tour to South Africa and not giving the body adequate time to recover before going into a World Cup build up helped?

Meh. He's just lost a massive player and his third in 24 hours. Dumb questions were probably not particularly helpful.

Massive difference with SOBs injuries and Fitzgerald's which was due to twisting his knee in the ground and complete freak injury.

There are 4 years between Lions tours. Most players will have significant injuries in that spell. What can Leamy and Flannery blame? Did DOC and Heaslip suffer anything significant? It's completely pie in the sky stuff.

The Irish players might be tired or run out of steam but to blame the Lions tour for injuries suffered in the couple of years after a tour is fanciful to say the least.

Is it pie in the sky that since Rugby went professional that after each of Lions tours the winners of the 5/6 nations has been France?

You say it didn't hurt DO'C or Heaslip, well I'd argue Heaslip's form post 2009 Lions tour, when he copped a lot of flack.

Paul O'Connell hasn't been ever present since 2009.

You do realise that Flannery picked up a serious Elbow injury while training with the Lions training for the tour in 2009?
    As for Earls, he's fallen down the pecking order since the emergence of others. It doesn't change the fact he has improved or has played his best rugby since the last tour.

Ehhh what? Are those ahead of Earls at Munster playing for Ireland? No.

Are they playing for the Lions? No.

So from being one of the 4 best centers in the 4 nations to not being one of the best in Munster is real improvement all right!

Player well fair programs are in place for a very good reason.

Given he picked up more than one serious knee injury, do you seriously think playing almost non stop top level Rugby with Club (2009 Heineken Cup Winner) Country (2009 Grand Slam) and then Lions tour to South Africa and not giving the body adequate time to recover before going into a World Cup build up helped?

He didn't play a game for over 3 months following his last Lions appearance.

He didn't play a game for over 3 months following his last Lions appearance.

Why was that then? because Lions tours have no effect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Some rubbish being spouted on this thread. The Lions tour was the highlight of Fitzgeralds international career and did nothing but enhance his rep, also, Earls not fulfilling his early potential to date has didly squat to do with that tour

And you're saying call up Visser because it's Zebo's first international year but you're calling for Visser instead despite it being his first international year too?!

trouttrout wrote: »
    Some rubbish being spouted on this thread. The Lions tour was the highlight of Fitzgeralds international career

Now who is talking rubbish? :rolleyes:

The Grand Slam 2009 was his international carer highlight.

Only this week I heard O'Gara say the highlight of his international carer was 2009 grand slam and he went on 3 lions tours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Now who is talking rubbish? :rolleyes:

The Grand Slam 2009 was his international carer highlight.

Only this week I heard O'Gara say the highlight of his international carer was 2009 grand slam and he went on 3 lions tours.

You are. My point is that Fitzgerald did nothing but enchance his rep off the back off that tour, who knows what his highlight is but being a Lions starter must be up there with winning the slam, you're just trying to shift the goalposts now

Saying not to bring Zebo because it's his first international season, and then saying to bring Visser (also his first international season) is just a complete contradiction

Advertisement