Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions vs Queensland Reds Sat 8 June 10:30am; Sky Sports 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Principal Skinner

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I don't know.
    Warburton may get two more starts to prove himself and maybe today was down to rustiness.

No way will Warburton be left out, no way.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Fits Morris: Might want to look at that set of replacements again ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Pedalstool

Yeah, I think he will start the first test come what may.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,899 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Its kind of unclear. Tuesday to Saturday is a decent rest so we might see a couple potential starters on Tuesday. Oddly todays team was not really potential starter heavy so the whole midweek balance is a bit out of kilter at the moment.

Either that or most predictions around here for the test team are off the money. The whole thing seems a bit back to front imo.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Subscribers Posts: 41,253 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

gatland himself had said that nobody is guaranteed.

He wouldn't be the first captain not starting the first test.....

• Advertisement

I don't know.
    Warburton may get two more starts to prove himself and maybe today was down to rustiness.

By giving him 2 more starts other form players are being left on the bench though.
    SOB may get very little game-time between now and the first test.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Sexton Actually went to 10 and Farrell shifted across, as you'd expect really given Farrell is a very good center.

But the Lions were clearly happy to use the pack. Probably protecting Sexton a bit.

Going through the replay now. So Sexton lines up 10 and Farrell at 12. Lions game plan switches to a tighter game.

Summary. Sexton didn't get as many touches, ball went to the forwards. Reds dominated possession from the 60 min mark, Lions don't manage to construct much phases for him to do much with.. Sexton and Farrell don't kick from there on in Young box kicks everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Principal Skinner

Ah they always say that but never mean it

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

JRant wrote: »
    By giving him 2 more starts other form players are being left on the bench though.

I think he'll get two more; one at openside, one at blindside.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,253 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

3 games left... I can see warburton getting two, and the rest sharing starts and bench.

Sob may suffer for his versatility and be benched for the test games.

My own opinion... Id play 15 sobs ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭Hype710

Am I missing something about Hibbard? Granted his set piece work is the best of the three hookers, I just don't see any work rate from him whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

Who did get MOTM in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Damn.

Michael Corcoran ‏@MichaelC_RTE 1m
    Breaking: looks like Tommy Bowes tour is over, Warren Gatland has confirmed he believes Bowe has a broken bone and needs operation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

Sexton tweeked something and looked to be avoiding taking any chances on attack, at one time he was lining out on the wing defending the blindside of a Red's scrum before going back in field. He did make a cracker of a tackle in his own 22 to stall an attack so I wouldn't worry about the injury too much. It was more a case that the Lions' backline was picking up knocks and Gatland didn't want to bring on his last back sub too early and having too many players playing out of position.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Buer wrote: »
    I think he'll get two more; one at openside, one at blindside.

He'll get a run out in the mickey mouse game on Tuesday but wont make the team for the 'thas.

I just can't see either Heaslip or SOB ousting the Welsh lads given Gatties fondness for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭OldRio

I have a feeling Warburton may pick up a slight 'injury' if his form does not improve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

FFS poor Tommy :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

From an Irish perspective, it's actually quite unsettling that SOB may not start the 1st Test.

He was immense against the Aussies last year, he's the most dynamic, skillful, beast of a flanker you could wish for.

Yet not guaranteed a Test Spot. And right now you'd need to be a very brave (or very Welsh) person to say he's not in the top 2 flankers on form, skill and talent.

He has to be in that side. And if Heaslip continues on his rampaging form, i'd be disappointed not to see a SOB-Warburton-Heaslip axis.

Bottom line Gatland imo doesn't have the stones to drop Warburton. It'd be a pride issue more than anything else. Drop Warburton = Admit he got the captaincy call very very wrong. Which is already clear to see, POC is the real captain here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Ah that's just poxy for Bowe :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Bowe and Healy are huge losses and not just for what they offer on the field.

I'm a bit of a Lions nerd and i follow all the players on Twitter and read a lot of interviews with squad members - and they all seem to say Bowe and Healy are funny feckers and great craic around camp.

I know it might be a trivial point but i'm sure their loss will be felt on and off the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

He'll get a run out in the mickey mouse game on Tuesday but wont make the team for the 'thas.

I just can't see either Heaslip or SOB ousting the Welsh lads given Gatties fondness for them.

I don't agree with this whole concept of Gatland having a fondness for a player. They're his options at international level. He selects them because he doesn't have another good option. If Heaslip was Welsh, I've no doubt Faletau wouldn't have half as many starts. Gatland has had guys like Heaslip before and they started all 3 tests. He namechecked him as a potential captain.

I would say JH is in pole position with both the fans and Gatland.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

Bowe and Healy are huge losses and not just for what they offer on the field.

I'm a bit of a Lions nerd and i follow all the players on Twitter and read a lot of interviews with squad members - and they all seem to say Bowe and Healy are funny feckers and great craic around camp.

I know it might be a trivial point but i'm sure their loss will be felt on and off the pitch.

It's definitely not trivial - it's a big part of touring in anything in life, the funny people leave a big absence if they are gone.

Gethin Jenkins is a huge loss too - poor chap has no luck :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Gutted for Bowe, what an awful season for a guy normally injury free.

What I love about SOB is that he's always looking to add to his game, 2 years ago he was smashing through everything in sight "if there's no holes I'll make them", he's since become a marked man and has developed his passing game and awareness of those around him, not to mention becoming one of the top breakdown players in the NH and with a stand-out workrate to boot, for me he's a must to start somewhere in the back row but his versatility may well see him get the bench spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

Unlucky Tommy Bowe, absolute legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Doubt it will happen, but would love Zebo to get a shot.

Would light up the Midweek games i'd imagine, and can cover FB as well, in case Kearney isn't 100%

I'd imagine we'll see Brown being brought out.

Would ease the loss of Tommy a little from an Irish point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Thoughts on the game.

Apart from the third twenty minutes or so, a very entertaining game. The Reds really flew out of the blocks, showed how they wanted to play (perfect for a man like Cooper) and didn't compromise that throughout. They totally deserved their initial 7-3 lead, probably more, and the Lions did well to come back into in the first half. Tackling, a few notable exceptions, was very good, stopped the carrier in his tracks. A try at the end of the first half would have killed the game, but the Lions couldn't manage it. The first 20 of the second half was ... disjoined to say the least. Subs, knock ons, dodgy scrums etc, conspired to turn the game to a bit of a mess. The last 20 picked up a lot, and again was very entertaining to watch - the Reds hung in there, through determination, a bit of luck, and the Lions not putting the foot down until late on to give us a decent last few minutes.

Farrell, overall had a good game. Decent kicking at goal, though his kicking from hand wasn't great. Distribution, patchy but overall decent as well. Two games in from him, and he's no world beater, he's an able backup. I wouldn't rely on him to orchestrate a Lions victory in a tight match though. Sexton, who had a good game, still holds complete dibs on the Test Jersey, tm.

Vanipolu, North, Bowe and Ben Youngs also had good games. Bowe, who I really really really hope isn't injured, showed some great awareness, as did North. When you make the choice to run it from deep, you either make a good run and get the plaudits or you get caught deep - like Hogg did, repeatedly - and get slated. North made a few decisions to run it that I didn't agree with, but he pulled them off and made serious yards. Unlucky that Warburton couldn't finish his break, same for Cuthbert (who overall was poor but made a damn good attempt to finish Bowe's break) for Bowe. North and Bowe are the test starters at this point in time. Things can change though.

On the subject of Youngs try ... I thought it should have been a penalty try for a deliberate knock on (slap down) of the ball by the defender. After that I thought it was a knock on by Youngs (though no angle, to be fair, could be seen by the TMO) but he finished well, and two wrong decisions in my mind ended up with the right result. So I can't complain at all there.

On Warburton, he attacked well, his lines were good, he was supporting well, but he did give away a few penalties. That said, what 7 doesn't during the course of a game? He comes out of this in the positive, just, but after the barnstorming performances by Tipuric, Heaslip and O'Brien over the last two (easier) games, he'll have to do better - assuming Gatland hasn't already nailed him onto the test side.

Overall, we did well to win in a game where we were below par for a lot of it. I'm concerned about our defense a bit. But there's still a fair few games to get it right. Also, given the first game was a nothing game, the second was ... also a nothing game and this one was a second string Lions squad, not a whole lot can be read into them. We'll want a series of consistent "tests" as well as getting a few of the first choice players out there from now on to truly tell us how players work together, as well as how the fringe players are performing ahead of the favourites.

Buer wrote: »
    I don't agree with this whole concept of Gatland having a fondness for a player. They're his options at international level. He selects them because he doesn't have another good option. If Heaslip was Welsh, I've no doubt Faletau wouldn't have half as many starts. Gatland has had guys like Heaslip before and they started all 3 tests. He namechecked him as a potential captain.

I would say JH is in pole position with both the fans and Gatland.

Hopefully your right, I suppose we'll have a much clearer picture when the team for the 'thas is announced. A back-row of Heaslip, SOB and Tupiric would be something else and the one I'd go for at this moment in time. A major concern would be that only 6 & 8 are up for grabs. Warburton is going to get most of the game time at 7 up to and including the first test, regardless of how he performs. As trouttrout said earlier Warburton has been playing like a drain for a while now, mainly due to the fact that he's constantly injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Devastated for Tommy Bowe.

Sky has just lost all its viewership for women who were watching before the injury.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Gutted for Bowe. :(

Advertisement