Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TriAthy 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Cheers for the reply. What's the alternative to going barefoot from transition to start? Do people wear flip flops up to the start, then come back and collect them after the race?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭littlemsfickle

Is the flow of the river strong?? Some of the swim times last year look very very fast (well, compared to my ability anyways :D)!!

Depends on rainfall this week. However, in theory, as part is upstream and part downstream, the organisers have some scope to make it close to a neutral course (I.e. unaffected by flow).

Are there any aid station on the bike/run course?

Don't think so, not certain about Double Olympic.

What will they be handing out? Gels? Just water?

I've never done a triathlon that didn't have water stops on the run. It's usually just water though unless a longer distance race

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Cheers for the reply. What's the alternative to going barefoot from transition to start? Do people wear flip flops up to the start, then come back and collect them after the race?

Just pick up a pair of cheap flip flops or slippers for your feet and leave them there. People also wear old socks and leave them there too.

If they're there when you get back well and good, but likely to have been cleared or binned.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

Shedite27 wrote: »

As AKW said. Goto Pennys and buy 2 pairs of flips for €2 or less.
    If your ar$ed, go back for them after the race.

There is water on the run course. Think there is on the bike also at the turning point, vaugely remember on the Double last year.

Parking is about 10mins walk from the river. But if you get in real early you can park beside the swim start beside the supermarket.
    Also get your bike in early as it gets jammed in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

Is there anywhere to leave your car keys?

• Advertisement

Stick them in your bike bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭littlemsfickle

StaggerLee wrote: »
    Is there anywhere to leave your car keys?

I'll take them off your hands if you like....:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Daithios

altercor wrote: »
    So, are we all set for this weekend?

Is the flow of the river strong?? Some of the swim times last year look very very fast (well, compared to my ability anyways :D)!!

AC

I've done 4 swims in the Barrow in the past 4 weeks, last one on Sunday morning, and the flow has progressively slowed over that time so provided there isn't any huge downpours between now and Saturday then it should be grand, not too hard for the 500m up-stream and a good flow for the 1km down-stream.

Also, the water has also warmed up slightly in that time too (relative to what it was (:eek:) The forecast is for warmer temperatures this week so that might make it decent enough.

If you have the time this week I'd still recommend you go down for a quick swim because you might be in for a surprise on Saturday morning if you haven't done any open-water swims so far this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭altercor

Any big names doing it this year??

If you want big names head to Trikilkenny, Brezzie is doing it.

Amazeballs.

• Advertisement

Wowzers.. He's like, totally famous!:eek: ;)

The number of female entries must be down so in Athy? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Eh, not doing it but ya i will be signing autographs in transition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

looking forward to this. The race is stalked in favour of the swimmers IMO

Have to say though, for such a big and well run race, i'm surprised they still have the run where they do. its only a matter of time till someone snaps there ankle IMO. lethal surface

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

miller82 wrote: »
    looking forward to this. The race is stalked in favour of the swimmers IMO

Why do you say that?

About 800 Olympic entries - roughly how many per wave? Also - Do we start in the water?

sorry, meant to say the Double Oly is staked in favour of the swimmers.

Podge83 wrote: »
    Why do you say that?

About 800 Olympic entries - roughly how many per wave? Also - Do we start in the water?

yes you do

Damnit.. Stacked in favour of swimmers?

3k is a bit of a hike alright..

bring on the run! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭Shedite27

miller82 wrote: »
    sorry, meant to say the Double Oly is staked in favour of the swimmers.
    How so? The Double Olympic distances in general or the TriAthy Double Olympic?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Got to say I'm less than impressed with the website this year. Brutally slow right now.

I went on it to find out about registration, it gives the times, but I can't see the registration venue, if its shown there its not obvious to me. Now, I've done the race before so Ill go to where reg was before and hope for the best, but if you've not done the race before you'd be scratching your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

They had something on their facebook about parking and I think registration being in a new school. Seems to have moved from previous years and they are looking for people to come into Athy by Monasterevin rather than the old way.

Have the same problems with the website myself, their facebook is a bit better for newer information.

• Advertisement

joey100 wrote: »
    They had something on their facebook about parking and I think registration being in a new school. Seems to have moved from previous years and they are looking for people to come into Athy by Monasterevin rather than the old way.

Have the same problems with the website myself, their facebook is a bit better for newer information.
    That bugs me. Im not on facebook. Not everyone is. If the information is out there, put it on the damn website.

Oryx wrote: »
    Got to say I'm less than impressed with the website this year. Brutally slow right now.

I went on it to find out about registration, it gives the times, but I can't see the registration venue, if its shown there its not obvious to me. Now, I've done the race before so Ill go to where reg was before and hope for the best, but if you've not done the race before you'd be scratching your head.

Mrs Jones will look after you at registration ( in the GAA )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

Elvis- does this mean we are parking in the new school and then registering in the same place as the last few years? How far would it be from the school to registration?

Mrs Jones will look after you at registration ( in the GAA )
    GAA? What about the school?

GAA? What about the school?

Sorry my bad i wrote before i tought ! I'd in the hall in the VEC school on the Monasterevin rd.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

from twitter, posted at the weekend

NEW VENUE for TriAthy Registration is Athy Community College - a fabulous campus on Monasterevin Rd. Details 2 follow pic.twitter.com/GDFkq9qjYQ

plus this was posted 12 hours ago
    Race Info Pack currently being updated. We will distribute asap.

Sorry my bad i wrote before i tought ! I'd in the hall in the VEC school on the Monasterevin rd.
    Right, now Ill just figure out where that is. I presume its not the same road as last year!

Right, now Ill just figure out where that is. I presume its not the same road as last year!

If your coming from Carlow its stright through the traffic lights at SUper Macs and out the rd on the right.

If coming from Dublin its right at the traffic lights at Super Macs.

If coming from Kilkenny is Left at the traffic lights at Sper Macs.

For some reason i now want a burger ?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

So how far is it from registration to race start / transition?

Can we park at athy college and leave the car there? Are there lockers, or somewhere to hold valuables at registration or near transition?

• Advertisement

StaggerLee wrote: »
    So how far is it from registration to race start / transition?

Can we park at athy college and leave the car there? Are there lockers, or somewhere to hold valuables at registration or near transition?

Its about a 10 min walk from registration to transition. I wouldn't bring any valuables with me personally. There will be a bag drop area.

Advertisement