Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TriAthy 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭Shedite27

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

split times are all correct now. In fairness to them they did say the the earlier results posted were provisional results. It seems as though they have collected all the data and updated provisional results to final results.

As for someone cutting short the bike route I'd hope it was human error but it's hard to understand how someone could make a mess of that route it was flat,straight and well marshaled. Disappointing for yesterdays second place and todays winner not to receive the plaudits on the day.

Looking forward to next years and hoping they don't increase the entries. Bring on TriAthlone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭Daz1214

That run along the tow path is still poxy but again, a well marshalled event

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Mr.Fred wrote: »
    split times are all correct now. In fairness to them they did say the the earlier results posted were provisional results. It seems as though they have collected all the data and updated provisional results to final results.

As for someone cutting short the bike route I'd hope it was human error but it's hard to understand how someone could make a mess of that route it was flat,straight and well marshaled. Disappointing for yesterdays second place and todays winner not to receive the plaudits on the day.

Looking forward to next years and hoping they don't increase the entries. Bring on TriAthlone :)

Same chip company:cool:

Same chip company:cool:

Easy Tiger...:cool: I didn't mean that as a dig at TriAthy which was a great day out and plan to take part in next years :D

It was a case of bring on the next one which happens to be Athlone :)

• Advertisement

Easy Tiger...:cool: I didn't mean that as a dig at TriAthy which I enjoyed, so careful getting down now :D

It was a case of bring on the next one which happens to be Athlone then KK.

No just saying and in my experience with them any problems they do fix. I believe the delay was them getting back to the UK to compile and get the data sorted !

I'm thinking of Athlone myself, any idea what time the sprint is at ?

Ah yeah figured that after I commented, all good. :)

I was surprised to see results actually going up so quickly after to be honest albeit a bit hit n miss.

No idea of times for Sprint but the all downstream description sounds sweeettt.. I heard it was a nightmare swim lastyear.

Hopefully a lot earlier than Athy which it should be seeing as how oly was cut. It'll be a chance to redeem myself and buy some anti fog for my goggles rinsing my goggles out half way through the swim wasn't part of the plan. At least that's my excuse.:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

No just saying and in my experience with them any problems they do fix. I believe the delay was them getting back to the UK to compile and get the data sorted !

thats good. cause i;m still age 21 on the results..:)

Ah yeah figured that after I commented, all good. :)

I was surprised to see results actually going up so quickly after to be honest albeit a bit hit n miss.

No idea of times for Sprint but the all downstream description sounds sweeettt.. I heard it was a nightmare swim lastyear.

Hopefully a lot earlier than Athy which it should be seeing as how oly was cut. It'll be a chance to redeem myself and buy some anti fog for my goggles rinsing my goggles out half way through the swim wasn't part of the plan. At least that's my excuse.:D

Actually an easy swim to be honest, the sprint was made longer to 1km but the current was so fast it was over in a flash

Daz1214 wrote: »
    the sprint was made longer to 1km b

it was? was the tryathy longer as well then?

• Advertisement

mossym wrote: »
    it was? was the tryathy longer as well then?

I didn't really notice any kind of current in the Barrow on Sat. A gentle flow on the down leg I doubt they made it any longer.

Actually an easy swim to be honest, the sprint was made longer to 1km but the current was so fast it was over in a flash

I thought the Oly was cut short as a lot of folks were having difficulty reaching the turn point.

Looking forward to it now if the sprint swim is as easy as you make out :D

Is there any thread like this one for TriAthlone?

Sorry folks, that comment was in relation to the comment made about the triathlone swim last year...athy distances were correct

Sorry folks, that comment was in relation to the comment made about the triathlone swim last year...athy distances were correct

I was with ya there Daz :cool:

I'm just looking through some pics of Athlone it's a bloody big river.

apologies, totally misunderstood your meaning, which was pretty clear when i go back and read it now

Hahaha...no problems

Dont fear the shannon, its big but its a nice swim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

fluboy wrote: »
    I wasn't there so I didn't see anything and I don't know the person involved, but I am just wondering about what you saw miller82. Wasn't this race on closed roads? If it was, how did a van get out onto the course to help her? Was it a marshal or bike mechanic in the van? and if it was, then i think this type of help is allowed, is it not?

good point, and if so, i take back the comment. It was a silver van, thats all i remember.

miller82 wrote: »
    good point, and if so, i take back the comment. It was a silver van, thats all i remember.

Silver or greeny sliver with a blue sign on it.............the lead marshal on the cycle who has a bike shop in Portlaoise.

Now thats that solved.

Race was well organised as usual. The run does my head in a bit but i can understand why they keep it there, given the size of the race.....then again, having hundreds of people running on a path a few feet wide with a river on one side isnt ideal.

Happy with how my own race went. came out of the water in 9th and slightly fell out of the top ten in the end, so it was my best finish so far and hopefully peaking right for Austria

Also, glad to see the improved security out of transition at the end

Silver or greeny sliver with a blue sign on it.............the lead marshal on the cycle who has a bike shop in Portlaoise.

Now thats that solved.

eh yeah i think silver and i think i noticed a blue sign and something about portaloise. Again....comment withdrawn and apologies

• Advertisement

eh yeah i think silver and i think i noticed a blue sign and something about portaloise. Again....comment withdrawn and apologies

No its good to confirm and sort these things out !

Happy that the extra security was noticed, it was the vain of my life with two transitions to work in :o

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

In fairness to Athy, they have listened to feedback and made some pretty good changes. Security was improved massively over last year. The marshals are efficient, but still don't lose sight of the fact that this needs to be fun, too. Its a fine balance, but they seem to have it.

Yes there were timing issues, and the run is, well, unique. Drafting is the biggest issue in the race though imo. Ive seen it other years, but this year you had blatant trains of riders, even among the slower ag'ers. Its as if its known to be accepted. Given that the race team seem to listen and act on feedback, hopefully this will be tackled too.

Oryx wrote: »
    In fairness to Athy, they have listened to feedback and made some pretty good changes. Security was improved massively over last year. The marshals are efficient, but still don't lose sight of the fact that this needs to be fun, too. Its a fine balance, but they seem to have it.

Yes there were timing issues, and the run is, well, unique. Drafting is the biggest issue in the race though imo. Ive seen it other years, but this year you had blatant trains of riders, even among the slower ag'ers. Its as if its known to be accepted. Given that the race team seem to listen and act on feedback, hopefully this will be tackled too.

With 3 or 4 guys from TI out on motorbikes with that being their main job perhaps it time for them to pull the finger out. A marshal can shout or the like but these guys have 1 job ( job being described as a paid activity ) to do.

yeah some of the drafting i saw was mental. i think the problem though is the numbers and the course - neither of which can be changed. there were two strecthes of road that were narrow enough, so a motor bike couldnt just go whizzing by, it would have to go slow and riders can then hear it coming. alos, due to the constant turn over of hundreds of cyclists on the course for hours, how can they track it all ??
    they did seem to have a fair few bikes, but its very hard to cover it all.
    I think the bike marshals do need to be more stern though and if a cyclist is even close, just beep them at the very least.
    When i was at the timing van place, they were inputting a fair few race numbers for drafting penalties

Two girls passed me on a wide stretch (no excuse for it), working as a team, the one to the rear a foot from the other rear wheel. They stayed like that for as far as I could see them, about two miles. They passed a stopped marshal, and went side by side, then back in the previous formation. Other than that, people were wheel sucking all the time, not just on tight stretches. I dont blame the course.

Two girls passed me on a wide stretch (no excuse for it), working as a team, the one to the rear a foot from the other rear wheel. They stayed like that for as far as I could see them, about two miles. They passed a stopped marshal, and went side by side, then back in the previous formation. Other than that, people were wheel sucking all the time, not just on tight stretches. I dont blame the course.

no i agree , its not just down to the course, i think the volume is a bigger issue probably. unl;ess they trippled the number of bike marshals, it was always on the cards. But as i said, the marshals need to get the thumb out more.
    Are most bike marshals from Tri backgrounds ??

no i agree , its not just down to the course, i think the volume is a bigger issue probably. unl;ess they trippled the number of bike marshals, it was always on the cards. But as i said, the marshals need to get the thumb out more.

Ya the majority are from Trilogy tri club, by that i mean the static marshals on the route. Oh and getting 165 marshals is hard enough without trying to add to it !!!

Bike marshals are all trained by TI, but do not need any tri experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Is there a record of any drafting penalties that were handed out? Or were there any at all?

I saw one huge pack heading back when I was at about 10-11KM on my way out. There must have been at least 10 of them and some were 3 abreast.

• Advertisement

hardCopy wrote: »
    Is there a record of any drafting penalties that were handed out? Or were there any at all?

I saw one huge pack heading back when I was at about 10-11KM on my way out. There must have been at least 10 of them and some were 3 abreast.

I saw a number of drafting 2-3min penalties on a board for dbl oly. I think They just need to reduce the number of entries overall.

Advertisement