Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Lemlin wrote: »
    So you portray one opinion on here yet have your own opinion which you keep to yourself? That doesn't really make sense tbh.

Why come onto an internet forum that's about posting your opinions and post an opinion which isn't your true opinion?

Lemlin I was on a wind up last year because of the whole debacle and this thread being completely derailed with arguments about Johnston.

I'm not discussing this on thread again I am not gonna let this thread be filled with crap again. Tell you what if you wanna discuss anything we have been talking about pm me to be fair to the other users here

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Lemlin I was on a wind up last year because of the whole debacle and this thread being completely derailed with arguments about Johnston.

I'm not discussing this on thread again I am not gonna let this thread be filled with crap again. Tell you what if you wanna discuss anything we have been talking about pm me to be fair to the other users here

I don't think this thread was derailed. There was a separate Johnston thread iirc.

I honestly don't see the issue with the player being discussed. I think you want to move away from the debate because you don't want to admit that you were wrong in your opinion last year.

The argument above you have given makes no sense whatsoever. You're trying to say that you come onto an internet forum, which is about people posting their opinion, and post an opinion which isn't your own?

I'm sure other users may be interested in reading this also. Celt brought up an alleged rumour about Johnston. Now two of you have alluded to Johnston having problems with his club side. If ye didn't want to discuss the issue, why did ye mention it in the first place?

Of course people are going to ask questions when the topic is alluded to. Even above you say "it's straffans business what goes on there but believe me it's not a bed if roses there". Of course that is going to have someone asking, what are Straffan's problems then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Kinder Bueno

He plays with Kevin's not Straffan!

Lemlin, you seem to have some gripe with SJ that's bordering on the obsessive. Anytime there's a whiff of his name on here you jump in like a scolded cat.

Klairon is correct, I was at that relegation final and only for Johnston, St. Kevin's would now be an Intermediate team. I think there's a very good chance Johnston will play a big role in the championship for us this year, I think the full forward line will be JD, Brophy and SJ. The whole O'Connor experiment is over and rightly so, it works against the weaker teams but not against the big boys. Alan Smith has never convinced me, he blows too hot and cold for my liking and he seems to have an attitude problem at times too. Fogarty and Dowling are not quite ready yet especially after the U21 semi disaster.

I can't believe one year later we are still having a debate about Johnston..

Lemlin, you seem to have some gripe with SJ that's bordering on the obsessive. Anytime there's a whiff of his name on here you jump in like a scolded cat.

Klairon is correct, I was at that relegation final and only for Johnston, St. Kevin's would now be an Intermediate team. I think there's a very good chance Johnston will play a big role in the championship for us this year, I think the full forward line will be JD, Brophy and SJ. The whole O'Connor experiment is over and rightly so, it works against the weaker teams but not against the big boys. Alan Smith has never convinced me, he blows too hot and cold for my liking and he seems to have an attitude problem at times too. Fogarty and Dowling and not quite ready yet especially after the U21 semi disaster.

I can't believe one year later we are still having a debate about Johnston..

I'd imagine its for the same reason:

a)straight away a few papers ran a story on Monday morning that Martin Dunne said he still regularly talks to Johnston and would love to play with him for Cavan again.
    b)The first tweet the Sunday Game read out on Sunday night was one from Johnston.
    c)Johnston tweeted about Cavan after the game and tweeted some players directly.
    d)Cavan media like the Anglo Celt still regularly report on Johnston's progress in Kildare.

I don't see how its bordering on the obsessive to follow the progress of a player who relocated from the county to Kildare. How many years is it since Larry Tompkins relocated and is it not still talked about in Kildare?

The responses from all of ye above also show its still obviously a touchy subject in the county. Straight away ye close ranks.

To be honest, my interest today is more in the fact that Dark Knight won't admit his opinion has clearly changed? Last year SJ was a bastion of greatness, this year he clearly isn't, yet DK reckons that's because he didn't want to give his true opinion on here last year ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Alan Smith has never convinced me, he blows too hot and cold for my liking and he seems to have an attitude problem at times too. Fogarty and Dowling are not quite ready yet especially after the U21 semi disaster.

I don't agree. Smith's attitude is fantastic. He was Kildare's best forward last year and was the best forward in the club championship too. It was just unfortunate that he got injured against Ballymun in the Leinster Championship. He was one of the few Kildare players to come out of the Meath and Cork matches last year with their reputation intact.

Fogarty isn't on the senior panel as far as I'm aware. He has a ridiculous training schedule with the army and doesn't feel he can give the necessary commitment. I think Eoghan O'Flaherty won't be far away from the starting lineup. He has shown signs of a return to form recently and that is a positive for Kildare.

• Advertisement

The responses from all of ye above also show its still obviously a touchy subject in the county. Straight away ye close ranks.

Of course it's a divisive subject. A large proportion of the GAA membership in the county were uncomfortable with what went on. There's no point in raking it up again. He's here now and we'll all just get on with it whatever our feelings are. There's nothing more to add to it at this stage.

Of course it's a divisive subject. A large proportion of the GAA membership in the county were uncomfortable with what went on. There's no point in raking it up again. He's here now and we'll all just get on with it whatever our feelings are. There's nothing more to add to it at this stage.

And that reasoning above is why I would respect your opinion and thanked your response above.

Dark Knight's however for me is full of waffle and that is why I questioned it. I don't see the problem with him admitting his opinion on the player in question has changed.

I don't agree. Smith's attitude is fantastic. He was Kildare's best forward last year and was the best forward in the club championship too. It was just unfortunate that he got injured against Ballymun in the Leinster Championship. He was one of the few Kildare players to come out of the Meath and Cork matches last year with their reputation intact.

Fogarty isn't on the senior panel as far as I'm aware. He has a ridiculous training schedule with the army and doesn't feel he can give the necessary commitment. I think Eoghan O'Flaherty won't be far away from the starting lineup. He has shown signs of a return to form recently and that is a positive for Kildare.
    I don't agree, Eoghan O'Flaherty was far and away the best forward in the club championship.

Smith was ok last year, he kicked a few scores against Cork and Meath, games that we both lost. I think it was more of a case of teams easing off rather than Smith been brilliant.

Going on recent challenge matches it seems Eamon Callaghan might very well be the latest experiment at CB. If that's the case I'd have a forward line of Eoghan O'Flaherty, Conway, Daniel Flynn, JD, Brophy and Seanie.

We really need to get midfield sorted this year, Daryl Flynn doesn't seem to be fully fit yet, going on reports from a recent club game he played, it seems he's a long way off it. Hurley has been suspended from the panel so it's anyone's guess as to who will partner Flynn if he is fit. Gary White will be a bigger loss than we first thought!

One player who I'm looking forward to seeing in this years championship is Paul Cribbin, he has a massive engine and he can take a score too. I was also looking forward to seeing Eoin Doyle at CB but it looks like he is injured hence Callaghan @CB. Doyle has all the attributes to be a good CB IMO.

Conway won't get near the team. He was the fall guy for the Dublin defeat in the league.

Smith for me is the best inside forward in Kildare club football. He beat Michael Shields to every single ball last year. The trouble was that Kildare could not get enough ball into him. He was excellent against Cavan and Sligo too. I think he was Kildare's top scorer from play last year.

And that reasoning above is why I would respect your opinion and thanked your response above.

Dark Knight's however for me is full of waffle and that is why I questioned it. I don't see the problem with him admitting his opinion on the player in question has changed.

I said Johnston was a lily purely to rile you... Because you were obsessing at one point last year to be honest. My opinion is seanie should have stayed where he was. I said that last year also the whole thing is embarrassing for Cavan and Kildare

I openly said pm me lemlin stop baiting me here saying I'm full of waffle etc..

And where straffan are concerned if you want call the club and ask the board what u want yo know. I know a player that said that Johnston was devoted to kildare but was not as devout to saint kevins. take from that what you want it is a fellow club players opinion.

Lemlin can you please stop what you are doing here debating is one thing but stirring the pot is another.

• Advertisement

I said Johnston was a lily purely to rile you... Because you were obsessing at one point last year to be honest. My opinion is seanie should have stayed where he was. I said that last year also the whole thing is embarrassing for Cavan and Kildare

I openly said pm me lemlin stop baiting me here saying I'm full of waffle etc..

And where straffan are concerned if you want call the club and ask the board what u want yo know. I know a player that said that Johnston was devoted to kildare but was not as devout to saint kevins. take from that what you want it is a fellow club players opinion.

Lemlin can you please stop what you are doing here debating is one thing but stirring the pot is another.

So you made points here just to "rile" me yet then go on to accuse me of "stirring the pot"?

I'm following the charter here. I'm attacking the post and not the poster. First off, you tried to say that you had your own personal opinion which you kept to yourself and your opinion that you gave on here. Now that has changed again. Why not just admit the truth that your opinion on the player has changed in the year? You're busy tieing yourself up in knots trying not to when its clear as day for all to see.

And the issue isn't embarassing for Cavan so I'd suggest you retract that point. We dropped the player for a number of reasons and results are now starting to improve as management had expected. This year was our best league campaign in years and is the first year we've beaten a team outside of Division 4 in the championship since 2005.

So you made points here just to "rile" me yet then go on to accuse me of "stirring the pot"?

I'm following the charter here. I'm attacking the post and not the poster. First off, you tried to say that you had your own personal opinion which you kept to yourself and your opinion that you gave on here. Now that has changed again. Why not just admit the truth that your opinion on the player has changed in the year? You're busy tieing yourself up in knots trying not to when its clear as day for all to see.

And the issue isn't embarassing for Cavan so I'd suggest you retract that point. We dropped the player for a number of reasons and results are now starting to improve as management had expected. This year was our best league campaign in years and is the first year we've beaten a team outside of Division 4 in the championship since 2005.
    My view of him hasn't changed he is a good footballer but he loves the limelight. That is not a good quality IMO!
    I also still am saying he should have stayed in Cavan.

I said that I was trying to rile you last year with the amount of crap you threw kildares way!! You also pmd me and were attacking Johnston calling him jelly and abusing his character!!! That IMO says it all about you, calling an inter county footballer fat?? Cop on lemlin!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭full_irish

"Dark Knight. Lemlin. Get into that corner for a time-out and don't come back to play with the rest of us til you've sorted out your differences... do ya hear me??", said in Irish mammy voice.

ENOUGH WITH HIS ISSUES....

Back on topic I think Alan smith is an absolute monumental player for us when he plays well the forwards seem to follow suit. Also he is a very likeable guy...

So what are you all expecting from Offaly? Rival county with great heritage so a proud group of footballers. We should beat them comfy but you never know

Shave a bullock

Shave a bullock

Is that baronrath slang?? ;)

Conway won't get near the team. He was the fall guy for the Dublin defeat in the league.

Smith for me is the best inside forward in Kildare club football. He beat Michael Shields to every single ball last year. The trouble was that Kildare could not get enough ball into him. He was excellent against Cavan and Sligo too. I think he was Kildare's top scorer from play last year.
    I don't get this thing of blaming Conway for Dublin mauling. We actually done worse when he came off, there was only a few points in it when McGeeney hauled him off. There was a lot more problems on show that day than Mikey Conway. The man is a forward FFS not a back, certainly not a CB.

I'm sorry bit we'll have to agree to disagree on Smith. I'm not a fan at all. No consistency from him at all.

I'm not expecting much from Offaly. Anything other than a 6-10 point win and I'd be surprised.

My view of him hasn't changed he is a good footballer but he loves the limelight. That is not a good quality IMO!
    I also still am saying he should have stayed in Cavan.

I said that I was trying to rile you last year with the amount of crap you threw kildares way!! You also pmd me and were attacking Johnston calling him jelly and abusing his character!!! That IMO says it all about you, calling an inter county footballer fat?? Cop on lemlin!!!

In regard to Jelly, it is Johnston's nickname and has been for years. There is nothing derogatory about calling him it. The media often referred to him as "Jelly" Johnston when he first started playing. Much like they call Colin Cooper "Gooch".

And, as I told you then, a member of the Gaels club once told me it was because Johnston carried extra weight when he was younger. I didn't give the lad the nickname.

You're obviously not able to debate the point without trying to drag it down to a childish level e.g. "Enough with his issues". I've asked a question and you still haven't given an adequate answer.

In my opinion, the posts above show that your opinion of the player has clearly changed. They are direct contradictions of the opinions you gave here last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

SJ was known as "Jelly" in Cavan as he was so hard to keep hold off :). It's a nickname he is well known by - just saying in the interests of fairness.

anyway carry on:)

• Advertisement

I don't get this thing of blaming Conway for Dublin mauling. We actually done worse when he came off, there was only a few points in it when McGeeney hauled him off. There was a lot more problems on show that day than Mikey Conway. The man is a forward FFS not a back, certainly not a CB.

I don't agree with it either but I think it's clearly the way the management saw it. He hasn't got a look in since. Hugh Lynch the same after he was taken off after a horror show at the start of the Tyrone match. Connolly also looks to have lost the no1 shirt which I wouldn't agree with.

Lads if you want to discuss the rights and wrongs and dissect people's opinions about the transfer then resurrect the transfer thread from last year.

If you want to discuss Kildare football & hurling on here then by all means fire away.

Lads if you want to discuss the rights and wrongs and dissect people's opinions about the transfer then resurrect the transfer thread from last year.

If you want to discuss Kildare football & hurling on here then by all means fire away.

The transfer isn't being discussed here, or the rights and wrongs of it.

I am discussing a Kildare poster's opinion on a Kildare player and how it has changed.

For example, I typed Dark Knight and Sean Johnston into the search option. First post I got up was from January when Dark Knight said "seanie johnston will have a big role to play i reckon now with kavanagh gone as can see forwards being reshuffled".

This directly contradicts the opinions he is giving above, and its the first post I found, yet he continues to try and state his opinion re the player hasn't changed?

As I've already pointed out, you have continually said that you are sceptical about Johnston and you actually replied to Dark Knight in January stating Johnston would want to greatly improve. Your opinion re the player has always been consistent and that is why I would not question it but I find it amazing that someone can give such a contradictory opinion and then try to state it hasn't changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

The transfer isn't being discussed here, or the rights and wrongs of it.

I am discussing a Kildare poster's opinion on a Kildare player and how it has changed.

For example, I typed Dark Knight and Sean Johnston into the search option. First post I got up was from January when Dark Knight said "seanie johnston will have a big role to play i reckon now with kavanagh gone as can see forwards being reshuffled".

This directly contradicts the opinions he is giving above, and its the first post I found, yet he continues to try and state his opinion re the player hasn't changed?

As I've already pointed out, you have continually said that you are sceptical about Johnston and you actually replied to Dark Knight in January stating Johnston would want to greatly improve. Your opinion re the player has always been consistent and that is why I would not question it but I find it amazing that someone can give such a contradictory opinion and then try to state it hasn't changed.

Are you a Kildare man Lemlin? Because you seem to infatuated with Kildare since Johnstons transfer.

Around the same time a journo from Cavan became obsessed with Kildare.

This same hack had a personal issue with Seanie which he aired openly on every medium he could.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭celt262

Are you a Kildare man Lemlin? Because you seem to infatuated with Kildare since Johnstons transfer.

This same hack had a personal issue with Seanie which he aired openly on every medium he could.

Who is this Journo?

celt262 wrote: »
    Who is this Journo?

I'd imagine he means Paul Fitzpatrick from the Celt.

No, I'm a Cavan man and, like I said above, why wouldn't I have an interest following the transfer? Alot of the media were straight onto it on Sunday/Monday.

It's also fairly hard to avoid Kildare GAA these days. Like Dublin of the last decade, they get a lot of media attention.

This is a Kildare GAA discussion thread. I didn't realise you had to be from Kildare to discuss Kildare GAA.

And I'm not discussing the transfer to be honest. I am discussing Dark Knight's contradictory opinions that he states haven't changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I'd imagine he means Paul Fitzpatrick from the Celt.
    As if he was the only media person to have a go at that farce!

I actually think Kildare's tactics v Offaly won't be too dissimilar to Cavan's v Armagh. Certainly they'll have extra efforts at curbing McNamee in the same way Cavan curbed Jamie Clarke.

Be very interesting to see how the young Kildare lads get on - it was an interesting contrast last week in comparing Cavan's youngsters versus Galway's youngsters - albeit quality of opposition played a part in that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭full_irish

"Lemlin!? Who said you could leave the corner? Get back back in there ya wee pup" **off to get get wooden spoon**

• Advertisement

No, I'm a Cavan man and, like I said above, why wouldn't I have an interest following the transfer? Alot of the media were straight onto it on Sunday/Monday.

It's also fairly hard to avoid Kildare GAA these days. Like Dublin of the last decade, they get a lot of media attention.

This is a Kildare GAA discussion thread. I didn't realise you had to be from Kildare to discuss Kildare GAA.

And I'm not discussing the transfer to be honest. I am discussing Dark Knight's contradictory opinions that he states haven't changed.

The inter-county nature of this site is great and adds to the variety and balance. However, it would be nice to get the focus back to the games themselves. Pointing out inconsistencies in people's postings from 12 months ago until now is pointless and will see the thread descend into an inevitable slagging match.

Advertisement