Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Wexford 2 Day August 17th -18th

• 10-05-2013 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭

If you enjoyed the Frank O Rourke and you fancy a two day in august, promoted by the same Wexford Wheelers Club that brought you the Frank O Rourke, keep an eye on here.

If you trust the club who brought you the Frank O Rourke, to bring you on another organised and safe route, non circuit: then keep reading.

As this is a new promotion for this club, we have not yet defined the race Route.

A re-use of the Frank O Rourke is a possibility, but a stronger proposition is to bring you on one huge circuit.

You all might feel like guinea pigs by August, from circular races, so our aim is one long, non repeating route.

Our Current Aim is A2/A3, A4. Interested in your opinion on that. I Resources permit, a one off underage might be possible.

The structure regarding Criterium / time trial/ race is not yet defined.

Gives us your ideas, your wishes.

There are excellent south Wicklow hills nearby, however a transfer would be needed to the start.

Let us hear from you: for the Wexford Wheelers 2 day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭wav1

Michael.the very best of luck with the event as its fantastic to see a new stage race come on board.The organisation last week was great and that will stand to you in attracting riders to this.
    I dont want to rain on your parade in any way,but I think its quite possible that you may have to exclude the A3 and Junior riders from the race as Sun 18th is the Nat Road Race Championships for these categories.Im sure there are a lot of A3 riders who have no intention of making the trip up to Omagh for the champs and would welcome your event.Its just possible I think that Cycling Ireland wont allow an event for these cats on the same day as the champs.I may be wrong,but I do feel that this will be the case,so I would recomend that you get clarity on it from them before you actually plan for the A3s in the event.Cheers Wav

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

wav1 wrote: »
    Michael.the very best of luck with the event as its fantastic to see a new stage race come on board.The organisation last week was great and that will stand to you in attracting riders to this.
    I dont want to rain on your parade in any way,but I think its quite possible that you may have to exclude the A3 and Junior riders from the race as Sun 18th is the Nat Road Race Championships for these categories.Im sure there are a lot of A3 riders who have no intention of making the trip up to Omagh for the champs and would welcome your event.Its just possible I think that Cycling Ireland wont allow an event for these cats on the same day as the champs.I may be wrong,but I do feel that this will be the case,so I would recomend that you get clarity on it from them before you actually plan for the A3s in the event.Cheers Wav

Hi Wav

the original submission to CI included A1-A4. Perhaps did not include underage.

Was hoping for more than a 'great' rating on the organisation !!! C'mon Wav !!

Have u dismantled the carrier yet ?

michael196 wrote: »
    Hi Wav

the original submission to CI included A1-A4. Perhaps did not include underage.

Was hoping for more than a 'great' rating on the organisation !!! C'mon Wav !!

Have u dismantled the carrier yet ?
    Michael think you may have misunderstood my post?
    You'll have no problem running u/age
    The problem may be that you might not be allowed have the event open to A3s.
    If I was you [and im not ] I would open the race to the A1s as they are the ones who are crying out for events at that stage of the season.Bit like the Suir Valley [all in together]?

wav1 wrote: »
    Michael think you may have misunderstood my post?
    You'll have no problem running u/age
    The problem may be that you might not be allowed have the event open to A3s.
    If I was you [and im not ] I would open the race to the A1s as they are the ones who are crying out for events at that stage of the season.Bit like the Suir Valley [all in together]?

what do u mean Suir Vally all in together ?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

Agree with Wav. Think you will great difficulty getting CI to agree to an A3 race on the day of the A3 National Champs.

Presuming you find an alternate weekend a two day stage race taking in the Frank O'Rourke circuit and the Eddie Tobin race circuit with a short TT would be some tough event. These are two deceptively hard courses that would seriously test A1/2s.

• Advertisement

MichealD wrote: »
    Agree with Wav. Think you will great difficulty getting CI to agree to an A3 race on the day of the A3 National Champs.

Presuming you find an alternate weekend a two day stage race taking in the Frank O'Rourke circuit and the Eddie Tobin race circuit with a short TT would be some tough event. These are two deceptively hard courses that would seriously test A1/2s.

CI already agreed to A3, way back in October 2012, when the race was first submitted, as per CI procedure.

Not every A3 in the country will attend the national champs.

Yes, the Eddie Tobin combined with the Frank O Rourke, with added laps sounds about the right level of torture, and can still be considered, but a key objective, if practicable, is to remove the circuit nature of the 2 day.

Removing the circular nature presents quite a challenge to the club, in terms of resources, however that remains our aim.

As said. all up for discussion and input from anyone here. All suggestions welcome.

Distances: restricted to 80 K for the A4, A3 should then potentially ramp to 120K similar for A2. IF A1 come in: then we climb to 150K or so for A1/A2.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

The camross race was excellent and really enjoyed the circuit. The one comment I would have is that I don't remember seeing any throphies? I for one would prefer a trophy to recieving a envelope with money and that applies to most races.

My first thoughts when looking at the calendar was, Great there is a two day in Aug but then noticed the A3 national champs were on the sunday. It would be very close as to which one I would attend and I think it will detract from your numbers.

A non circuit route would be excellent and it would be even better if you managed to get the race up fort mountain?

In terms of the TT it would be nice to see a slightly longer TT than those in current races, maybe 10km. If you could get the race up some decent hills then maybe that would compensate for the distance in the TT.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭The Crunch

Arthurdaly wrote: »
    The camross race was excellent and really enjoyed the circuit. The one comment I would have is that I don't remember seeing any throphies? I for one would prefer a trophy to recieving a envelope with money and that applies to most races.

My first thoughts when looking at the calendar was, Great there is a two day in Aug but then noticed the A3 national champs were on the sunday. It would be very close as to which one I would attend and I think it will detract from your numbers.

A non circuit route would be excellent and it would be even better if you managed to get the race up fort mountain?

In terms of the TT it would be nice to see a slightly longer TT than those in current races, maybe 10km. If you could get the race up some decent hills then maybe that would compensate for the distance in the TT.

Of course, lots of A3s aren't eligible to ride the A3 Champs.
    I'd love this. It's been a long time since there was a Wexford 2-Day.

The Crunch wrote: »
    Of course, lots of A3s aren't eligible to ride the A3 Champs.
    I'd love this. It's been a long time since there was a Wexford 2-Day.

Didn't realise there are specific criteria to ride the A3 champs? Yes, august in the sunny south east for a two day would be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭fondriest

Didn't realise there are specific criteria to ride the A3 champs? Yes, august in the sunny south east for a two day would be great!

An A3 with "vet" on their licence can not ride the A3 champs .

• Advertisement

Yes its really great to have a new two day in that part of the country,but as i said get clarity pronto re the A3s.

As regards criteria for entering A3 champs.There are none.
    Every A3 licence holder in the country is eligible to enter.Possible problem is the maximum rider size up North.

fondriest wrote: »
    An A3 with "vet" on their licence can not ride the A3 champs .
    You are quite correct my friend.Forgot about that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Pawlie

Personally I think 2 good long stages 100km+ (non loop/no TT) would be cool.

Hope you get something going no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭leopard trek

Was hoping that you would be running a two day event also for underage, I know you don't get many with the frank o rourke but that's because of the kanturk 3 day. You'd get more people if you ran the two days.

Was hoping that you would be running a two day event also for underage, I know you don't get many with the frank o rourke but that's because of the kanturk 3 day. You'd get more people if you ran the two days.
    Disagree with this one leopard trek.The nat youth champs are in Enniscorthy the following weekend and they will all be geared towards that one.Basically the parents would have to fork out 2 w/ends in a row and I cant see it happening at that time of the year.Theres already a 2 day youth race scheduled for Arklow are in mid July.

I know you don't get many with the frank o rourke but that's because of the kanturk 3 day.

You there this year? Pretty decent numbers in the A4 anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭1750W

Races very thin on the ground for a1. Would live to race it!

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭J Madone

1750W wrote: »
    Races very thin on the ground for a1. Would live to race it!

Heard the Elliott is on tomorrow !

You there this year? Pretty decent numbers in the A4 anyways.

Arthur the OP is referring to few underage present . Particularily U 14

Lads

great to hear the feedback please keep ur comments coming in. We are at the pre-design stage and all is up for grabs.

Let me cover a few points already Aired:

An A3 will run irrespective of the nat champs. We submitted A1-A4 originally, which CI granted, not on our chosen date, but in their wisdom to permit our A3 on the same date as nat champs: , therein We trust in the wisdom of CI ..... !!

Underage numbers were low, for the Frank O Rourke, but Wexford will always incorporate [EMAIL="U@nderage"]Underage[/EMAIL].

At submission underage was considered and entered. : up for decision and discussion.

Forth mountain is a possibility . Or a similar hill.

Time trial routes are numerous, due to a large network of local national routes ( Wexford- Rosslare, New ross enniscorthy, all hard shoulders, we are spoilt for choice here for TT routes, anything up to 5o K

2 longer stages was my initial thinking of the structure.

We did get criticised last year for dropping the A1 from the Frank O Rourke, however in 2013 we attracted 31 into A1-A2, for which we had 12 prizes. That's a high A1/A2 prize proportion, per race, and I would envisage the amount of a1/A2 prizes will drop for 2014, not the value just the amount of prizes.

We will redesign our prizes to reflect the field: the category with the most riders gets the most prizes in value.

For future races the prize fund will be determined on the morning by the number that turn up. Higher number , higher monetary value in prizes.

We have tentative sponsorship at this stage.

As said the consultative process is in progress.

@ Paulie We will get organised.

@ Paulie: Dunno if u did Taghmon - Roubaix last year, but we are planning to go ahead this year, and in addition a Team time trial is planned for end of July, similar to last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭fondriest

@ Paulie: Dunno if u did Taghmon - Roubaix last year, but we are planning to go ahead this year, and in addition a Team time trial is planned for end of July, similar to last year.

Taghmon - roubaix race was brilliant craic last year .

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Pawlie

michael196 wrote: »

I didnt race last year,only racing since Feb,the Ned Flanagan was was first day out,

Really looking forward to whatever ye put on lads (2 long stages my prev :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

Feedback...

Short hilly/technical TT and 2 long road stages please :D

Flat hard shoulder stuff gives too much advantage to those with a full TT setup.

Wexford Wheelers 2 day is taking shape. Following a committee meeting tonight, the Wexford Wheelers 2 day moves into the preparation stage.

The basic structure of the 2 day is coming together.

Looks Like combined A2/A3 and A4 separate.

1 shorter circuit followed by Technical hill climb TT followed by longer stage race on the sunday. No Criterium.

Watch www.wexfordwheelers.com only for current updates.

No current posting regarding the 2 day on the wheelers site at the moment.

Online sign will be in place.

Numbers initially limited, so sign on early.

The Wexford 2 day is a re-instatement of the original wexford 2 day, which predates my time in the club.

The event will feature , close to town race activities ( start / finish ) Neutralised starts.

Please come and support the 2 day, in order to secure the race future.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭buffalo

I presume that's supposed to be combined A2/A3? :)

Correct Combined A2/A3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Any strava, garmin or mapmyride type link to the potential stages ?

Tx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭RockWerchter

The hill climb will probably be on one of these climbs (apart from the one at the start) http://app.strava.com/activities/53460931

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

The hill climb will probably be on one of these climbs (apart from the one at the start) http://app.strava.com/activities/53460931

The one up from Mother Hubbard's I'd say, best road surface and plenty of space at the start.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭RockWerchter

That was the usual one alright, hoping for something shorter and steeper, the flat bit over to concord neutralises that climb a bit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement