Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Wexford 2 Day August 17th -18th

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

....nearly 6 hours since micheal196 posted anything on this thread. Can someone go and check hes ok?................:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

MichealD wrote: »
    ....nearly 6 hours since micheal196 posted anything on this thread. Can someone go and check hes ok?................:)

Think I missed my vocation, I should have been a tweet !!!! Boom !!

anyhow the A1 and the ladies have just doubled today, and I dont mean from 1 to 2 !!!

and our first UCD A1 is in.

there wont be enough strawberries in Wexford for you all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭pprendeville

I have a proposal for the TT and a few questions.

The way the TT was done in The Newry 3 Day was in order of our race number. So rider No.1 was off 1st and so on. Thought it worked well and everyone knew in advance of approximately what time to arrive at the start line.

A few questions as follows (some a bit silly):
    1: Will it be possible to do a warmup close to the start of the TT on a turbo trainer. There was a little car park across from the start up in Newry which was very handy although I only saw it when I rolled up to the start line.
    2. Will it be possible to use a plug in turbo trainer as that is the type I have (Tacx Flow). I have a 10m extension lead but obviously this is a bit of hassle for organisers but if the facility exists to plug it in it would be great. Failing that I'll see if I can borrow one.
    3. Will there be neutral service vehicles and if so is there something in particular we should do to identify our wheels in advance? Is there a specific protocol for IDing wheels? Only ever done the one stage race so I'm a bit new to all of this craic.
    4. If we have to return to the neutral vehicle for a bottle is there a minimum distance limit within which we can do this (if at all possible)? I tried it on the last stage in Newry after 47km only to be told I had to wait for the 50km mark. I had to ask a very nice motorist for a sports drink after the stage and he obliged thank God.
    5. Will there be transponders for the bikes (Im not sure how these work tbh but have heard they were used in Gorey) or a camera for finishes. Been involved in a few races where they're relying on camera phones for results which makes it a bit of a disaster.
    6. Will prizes be in cash or cheque (don't think I'll be getting any). Reason I ask is I because I got a cheque from SERC for a placing at the weekend and I couldn't cash it because my name wasn't written on it as the payee (plus I forgot to sign the back of it and lodged it in a machine to make matters worse so have to go back tomorrow and write my name on it myself which is not strictly legal but the advice I got from the bank). Just something for organisers to be aware of.
    7. Will roads be clearly marked/signed for primes/KOMs and finishes. This really helps.

Finally, to finish on an environmentalist note I would like to see organisers point out to riders it's not very nice to dispose of their gel/bar wrappers on the ground during the race. It's not pleasant seeing them tossed on the side of the road and Wexford, from what I can see is a pretty nice county and it's a shame to see a handful of cyclists doing this kind of thing in beautiful countryside. Putting a wrapper in a designated pocket or down your jersey isn't hard. Flinging a banana skin into a ditch is grand but plastic stays around a long long time. Hope I don't sound like a prick here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭fondriest

I have a proposal for the TT and a few questions.

The way the TT was done in The Newry 3 Day was in order of our race number. So rider No.1 was off 1st and so on. Thought it worked well and everyone knew in advance of approximately what time to arrive at the start line.

A few questions as follows (some a bit silly):
    1: Will it be possible to do a warmup close to the start of the TT on a turbo trainer. There was a little car park across from the start up in Newry which was very handy although I only saw it when I rolled up to the start line.
    2. Will it be possible to use a plug in turbo trainer as that is the type I have (Tacx Flow). I have a 10m extension lead but obviously this is a bit of hassle for organisers but if the facility exists to plug it in it would be great. Failing that I'll see if I can borrow one.
    3. Will there be neutral service vehicles and if so is there something in particular we should do to identify our wheels in advance? Is there a specific protocol for IDing wheels? Only ever done the one stage race so I'm a bit new to all of this craic.
    4. If we have to return to the neutral vehicle for a bottle is there a minimum distance limit within which we can do this (if at all possible)? I tried it on the last stage in Newry after 47km only to be told I had to wait for the 50km mark. I had to ask a very nice motorist for a sports drink after the stage and he obliged thank God.
    5. Will there be transponders for the bikes (Im not sure how these work tbh but have heard they were used in Gorey) or a camera for finishes. Been involved in a few races where they're relying on camera phones for results which makes it a bit of a disaster.
    6. Will prizes be in cash or cheque (don't think I'll be getting any). Reason I ask is I because I got a cheque from SERC for a placing at the weekend and I couldn't cash it because my name wasn't written on it as the payee (plus I forgot to sign the back of it and lodged it in a machine to make matters worse so have to go back tomorrow and write my name on it myself which is not strictly legal but the advice I got from the bank). Just something for organisers to be aware of.
    7. Will roads be clearly marked/signed for primes/KOMs and finishes. This really helps.

Finally, to finish on an environmentalist note I would like to see organisers point out to riders it's not very nice to dispose of their gel/bar wrappers on the ground during the race. It's not pleasant seeing them tossed on the side of the road and Wexford, from what I can see is a pretty nice county and it's a shame to see a handful of cyclists doing this kind of thing in beautiful countryside. Putting a wrapper in a designated pocket or down your jersey isn't hard. Flinging a banana skin into a ditch is grand but plastic stays around a long long time. Hope I don't sound like a prick here.

I can answer one of your questions anyway , there is a car park at the bottom of the tt climb so plenty of space to warm up on turbo. This is used as a truckstop so I'll be out that way for a spin in the morning and will check to see if there are external electrical points for your turbo ,usually truckstops have them to plug in the fridge units overnight.

Point
    1) Yes, as per Fondriest reply there is a large car park right there.
    2) u need to assume that you have no power nearby.

3) There is a neutral service. We have a specifc announcement regarding the amount of vehicles permitted to follow the peleton. We have 80 clubs represented,. Absolutely no way we can pemit 80 cars on the circuit. Especially the figure of 8 circuit.

4) Not an issue that I can plan for. In short : no minimum distance

5) You will have transponder built into the race number but we will have a static filming camera at the finish, plus a back up camera.

6) We don’t see prize money given out on the day. You will be sent ur prize money after the race. Reason being, we do not see the revenue until after the race closes.

7) Yes the roads will be marked. You will all be receiving a booklet via email that will detail all this stuff prior to the race.

8) Environmental: I agree with you. We will tell riders not to drop any litter anywhere during the race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Slo_Rida

michael196 wrote: »
    Point
    1) Yes, as per Fondriest reply there is a large car park right there.
    2) u need to assume that you have no power nearby.

3) There is a neutral service. We have a specifc announcement regarding the amount of vehicles permitted to follow the peleton. We have 80 clubs represented,. Absolutely no way we can pemit 80 cars on the circuit. Especially the figure of 8 circuit.

4) Not an issue that I can plan for. In short : no minimum distance

5) You will have transponder built into the race number but we will have a static filming camera at the finish, plus a back up camera.

6) We don’t see prize money given out on the day. You will be sent ur prize money after the race. Reason being, we do not see the revenue until after the race closes.

7) Yes the roads will be marked. You will all be receiving a booklet via email that will detail all this stuff prior to the race.

8) Environmental: I agree with you. We will tell riders not to drop any litter anywhere during the race.

Cheeses Christ Mick I'm pure excited!
    Can we do it this weekend? It's like Christmas for a 10 year old!
    Slo

if u are feeling the buzz then i am doing my job !!

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭smurphy29

I can't bloody wait for this race. Should be the event of the season.

no pressure huh........

have to sort the ipod for the music, think kings of leon, Killers and Springsteen with a little U2 might do the trick....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Slo_Rida

no pressure huh........

have to sort the ipod for the music, think kings of leon, Killers and Springsteen with a little U2 might do the trick....

A little bit of Madonna too. This is a lot of lads' first stage race - "Like a Virgin".

• Advertisement

Slo_Rida wrote: »
    A little bit of Madonna too. This is a lot of lads' first stage race - "Like a Virgin".

Like ur style SLO !!

Hi Michael196,

Congrats to you, and Wexford Wheelers, on all the time & energy you have put into this. Adding a new stage race to the calendar is triumph, and reviving an historical one is something to be proud of, imho. Somewhere in my future I aspire to reinstating another race of old in this neck of the woods..... apparently there used to be a Kilkenny 2-Day, maybe some day there will be again....

Am on the 'Ras na mBan' organising committee this year so my level of appreciation for what goes into putting on a bike race is at a new high (and my enthusiasm for reviving the late lamented Kilkenny Race is at a new low....). I wanted to tweet something from the 'Ras na mBan' account to promote the Ladies Race you're putting on.... would you mind putting a quick post on here with the details (eg. Separate Ladies Race on Saturday 17th, 60km, <link to circuit>, please register on line <link> because minimum numbers will be required before this race can be confirmed) then I'll just tweet a link to that individual post? Or whatever you think is best. I did tweet about this already btw, .... I don't know if that had any effect though.

Also, I know you posted earlier that ladies could also opt to race in the 2-day itself, in their CI class.... but seeing as A2/A3 and A4 are now full (yes?), I presume this option is out (except for women who have already registered online? Or, if you don't get numbers for a separate Ladies Race, will you filter any ladies who do register for it into the appropriate CI category race, even if numbers are maxed-out for these?) ?

Right, must dash, lives to be saved, or something....

PS. Hi
    PPS. Thanks everyone who came along to our 'Tour de Kilkenny' yesterday, super turnout, super day, really enjoyed it, hope you did too :)

Sr Assumpta, we need ladies please . for the one day ladies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Plastik

Maldron race 'rate' is €1 more expensive, per head, than if you book via their website. €55 vs €54 for a triple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Regarding rubbish, I live locally and will endeavour to pick up any trash left around afterwards anyway. Will ride the course afterwards to clean up anything dropped accidentally or otherwise.

Some News in:

A New Wexford based Team has entered the Stafford Wholesale Wexford Two day:

Riders Frank Dunne A1 Slaney Cycling club, Davy Walsh A1 Slaney Cycling Club and Martin Mizgajski Carrick Wheelers Iverk produce will combine to ride under the Wexford Cycling Team.

In addition: Dermot Radford, winner of the 2013 Frank O Rourke Memorial in May is also returning to Wexford for the Stafford Wholesale Wexford two day.

Some News in:

A New Wexford based Team has entered the Stafford Wholesale Wexford Two day:

Riders Frank Dunne A1 Slaney Cycling club, Davy Walsh A1 Slaney Cycling Club and Martin Mizgajski Carrick Wheelers Iverk produce will combine to ride under the Wexford Cycling Team.

In addition: Dermot Radford, winner of the 2013 Frank O Rourke Memorial in May is also returning to Wexford for the Stafford Wholesale Wexford two day.

Michael there was a rumour going around at the wexford league race this evening that if A1 numbers are low they may be put in the A2/A3 race , is this correct ?

First up Pat, Thank you for asking me directly. I wish more asked me directly .

Why don't more people ask me direct ? and eliminate the chatter, . My mobile is all over the place. AsK me .

I find it odd that people who have a query, do not ask the person standing two feet away, who can answer the query definitively.

Working in a US company over the years, a good US friend thought me a valuable lesson,

when rumours are about, it is because two or more have repeated the same untruth. Just because you hear it twice does not make it twice the value in truthfulness. One massively wrong source contaminates the message.

that's is why u will hear me frequently say : I don't listen to hearsay , it is never accurate.

Answer is no. A1 will not mix with A2/A3 . It cannot be done , it will not be done.

A1 is separate, A1 is growing, A1 is gaining teams now, A1 is gaining traction all the time. A1 all the way, not to be mixed with A2 A3. Go A1 solo...... the A1 will be separate.

c,mon stop listening to the jungle drums lads........ and ask the straight question................straight talk.................straight answers......... Lord knows u hear enough from me.... We are using many web based lines of communication.........u dont need to listen to gossip/ rumours like aul biddies . if u are unsure, ask me. Don't ever list to a sentence starting ''I heard that ''. very damaging when it is wrong. jays lads... Ur letting me down badly.

Thanks for the promt answer Michael .

fondriest wrote: »
    Thanks for the promt answer Michael .

as ever. will u tell the biddies to cop on,

• Advertisement

as ever. will u tell the biddies to cop on,

Yep .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Do you have a start list Michael ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭smithslist

Just a quick post to thank michael196 for all his updates, feedback etc on this event. From all this organization I have no issue that the event will run as smoothly and better as any stage event this year.

Looking forward to it now and I think the emails\forum updates really built up the hype for the event.

Chapeau michael196.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Actual Paramedic

Michael,

Will there be KOM or sprints competition?

smithslist wrote: »
    Just a quick post to thank michael196 for all his updates, feedback etc on this event. From all this organization I have no issue that the event will run as smoothly and better as any stage event this year.

Looking forward to it now and I think the emails\forum updates really built up the hype for the event.

Chapeau michael196.

thank you. It is quite a story and I love telling the story of this race,. Not there yet though.

I was at the Bruce Springsteen concert in Kilkenny just 2 weeks ago, Wrecking ball tour, I now listen to the album constantly to keep me energised for this race. I want to recreate that concert type atmosphere on the day, that is where I am heading.

don't be surprised when u hear it blasting out as u pass camross each time.

Learnt a lot along the way, and discovered how to ask for help !!

come along and enjoy our efforts. We wont be perfect, but bear with us.

and bring on your wrecking ball............

Michael,

Will there be KOM or sprints competition?

hi , Eoghan. thank you for attending to our injured rider in the SERC GP last weekend. We in Wexford Wheelers appreciate, what u did there immediately for the man.

believe it or not that level of detail regarding KOM / sprints is outstanding at the moment. Had been considered alright. Down to logistics at this stage. We don't have electronic capability to do KOM,

We had primes in the last FOR, but no immediate plans for now.

c'mon I have to keep a few surprises..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Actual Paramedic

hi , thank you for attending to our injured rider in the SERC GP last weekend. We in Wexford Wheelers appreciate, what u did there immediately for the man.

believe it or not that level of detail is outstanding at the moment. We don't have electronic capability to do KOM, so let me work on that.

We had primes in the last FOR, but no immediate plans for now.

c'mon I have to keep a few surprises..

Your welcome Michael, am sure the rider is ok and should even be back competing albeit with a new helmet.

Look forward to hearing your plans and surprises.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Just done the hill climb TT yesterday. Quite short, I am slow and done it in 10 minutes without dying.

Starts off fast, the first few bends are on a slight incline but fast rolling, then it ramps up, sucks the speed right out of you (well me) but it is short and it doesn't stop you dead. Hang right at a T for a flat middle bit. Road is bumpy though, hard to push hard as the road bounces up and down, no potholes as they are all filled but the fills are not level with the road, slight head wind on this stretch. I found this the toughest part as I just could not gain much speed. Then a left hook turn that ramps up straight away. Steeper and longer than the first climb, getting the right gear just before the turn will decide how good a time you make overall. Looks horrible on the way down but didn't kill on the way up, slight tail wind (very slight) the whole way up. WW have a few go faster and Allez sprayed on the road presumably for the club league. Very close to the end, your looking at 30 and 20 metres left at this point.

Nice TT, quite short (fine by me) and won't destroy anyone (I was the slowest in our league hill climb and survived comfortably). Anyone who knows my level, I would do it at a little over 20 to 25kmph on the day. I can see the likes of Buffalo passing well over 35kmph with ease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

CramCycle wrote: »
    Anyone who knows my level, I would do it at a little over 20 to 25kmph on the day. I can see the likes of Buffalo passing well over 35kmph with ease.

Well over 35kmph with ease? Not a chance, maybe in the back seat of a car!

Arthurdaly wrote: »
    Well over 35kmph with ease? Not a chance, maybe in the back seat of a car!

I meant in terms of me being way below average and being capable of over 20kph with no great threat, someone so much higher in terms of cycling will bomb up it. I have no real idea in terms of actual speed.

I meant in terms of me being way below average and being capable of over 20kph with no great threat, someone so much higher in terms of cycling will bomb up it. I have no real idea in terms of actual speed.

Avg speed over the whole course? In the Club league TT, Martin Mizgajski did it in about 7:30 so just below 30kph.

The best climbers can definitely do the last uphill section at roughly 25-27 kph, and presumably they'll give themselves an absolute bone-shaking ride over the flat part at 35-40 kph. They'll fly the first half of the first section at >40 kph, and then slow right down to 20ish on the steep part of the first section near the houses.

Here's a 3D profile of the course from Veloviewer (I assume it's viewable by everyone?)

http://veloviewer.com/segments/4675659/athlete/1478161

I know the place inside out, I live on the other side of the hill.

• Advertisement

If the county champion done it in less than 30kmph then I doubt there will be many over it faster, certaintly not 35+ with ease!

If the county champion done it in less than 30kmph then I doubt there will be many over it faster, certaintly not 35+ with ease!

I wouldn't bet against Mizgajski getting near 35 kph himself!

I wouldn't bet against Mizgajski getting near 35 kph himself!

Maybe, but he is A1 and a powerhouse! I doubt any A2 would get close to 35kmph.

I think you missed my follow up post, I was trying to say that as a very sub par cyclist I had no issues at 20kph, I imagine that the really strong cyclists taking part will fly up it. Just seen the Strava segment results, I had no idea of the speeds of previous attempts.

I will head out tomorrow and give it a hammering, then revise my statement when my average jumps from 20.1 up to 21 full belt. ;-)

I know the place inside out, I live on the other side of the hill.

I even wore my boards jersey passing your house and not even a cheer or the offer of a cuppa :'(

I even wore my boards jersey passing your house and not even a cheer or the offer of a cuppa :'(

Apologies! If you're back again tomorrow I might be out there myself.

I think you missed my follow up post, I was trying to say that as a very sub par cyclist I had no issues at 20kph, I imagine that the really strong cyclists taking part will fly up it. Just seen the Strava segment results, I had no idea of the speeds of previous attempts.

I will head out tomorrow and give it a hammering, then revise my statement when my average jumps from 20.1 up to 21 full belt. ;-)

No I caught all of your original post, most of which was wrong! Good luck.

No I caught all of your original post, most of which was wrong! Good luck.

The speeds were wrong, that was it. It was an opinion though so??? I think my description and info on the course is pretty accurate though, although just my interpretation, anyone else is welcome to put up their views on it.

Personally I really enjoyed it. Looking at the times micheal196 posted I fit in fine with A4 which is better than expected. It will be a fun TT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭leopard trek

Is the u16 race going ahead? Cant seem to find reference to it after 4th of July

• Advertisement

Kyle

we had it open for so long, with (almost ) zero interest, so it was pulled and the Ladies and A1 subsequently taking the race capacity that the U 16 race occupied.

I know u were interested initially, and you and I discussed at length. We have an agenda to promote, where possible , and as much as possible, our underage section, so including U 16 into a senior race line up , matched that agenda. The nomination to promote Underage as much as possible, came from our Club president.

The original submission to CI for the 2 day was A1,A2,A3,A4 Ladies and Underage. looks like all will go ahead ( ladies and Underage were 1 day races) except the Underage.

Call me for next year. Great few laps with u in the last night of the SRAM league in Waterford !!!!

Was on the Sunday stage earlier today , holy crap it's gonna be a hard one . I had forgotten what those roads were like .

Race circuit design : Short and flat day 1 , longer and hillier day 2 :

Not too difficult or impossible.

did we meet the brief ? Are we spot on ?

I think so

Race circuit design : Short and flat day 1 , longer and hillier day 2 :

Not too difficult or impossible.

did we meet the brief ? Are we spot on ?

I think so

Suppose :-(

we used our usual race circuit consultants to give me the race design brief and we designed to that brief, and this is what we came up with.

'we heard'.... ''there was a rumour that the '.........

there is only one person in procession of all the details. and he lives here.

any questions, get answers on here...don't listen to chattering aul biddies , get the straight answeres here.....

second time his week ...wrong information regarding the race from the chattering aul biddies......

the A1 race rumouring to have low Numbers : below is the current entry list.

please do not listen to rumour regarding numbers,,, check with me

don't listen to Chattering aul biddies... they don't know the facts / latest numbers etc ( twice this week !!! the aul biddies have visited ....the race... both times with wrong information ). We hear back that lads 'heard'....... Check here lads.

Lads please get facts checked here.

4 x A1's querying in last half hour.

Beginning to knock on the door of 20 x A1's

No A+.

few nearly did not sign because they 'heard' not enough....... aul biddies chatting......

A few names :

Anthony Doyle
    Joe Christian
    Brian McArdle
    Eoin Morton
    Sean McKenna
    Derek Cunningham
    Elijus Civilis
    John Lynch
    Dermot Radford
    Julius Valickas
    Frank Dunne
    Martin Mizgajski
    Davy Walsh

Robin Kelly
    Keith Gator
    Mick Storan (tbc)
    eddie Barry ( tbc)

the above 4 fought it out in Fermoy this weekend.

keep em coming...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭buffalo

A few names :

Be careful which names you publish - you might scare off a few potential competitors! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Eoin_Morton

some good names in there but seriously lacking in numbers, 20 people in a race? Was expecting more then that to be honest!

• Advertisement

agree. we initially went a2/a3/a4 and included an underage. The underage dropped so I wanted to fill the capacity

we have to now turn the initial message of a2/a3/a4 only 100% around , and now include A1

we are including A1, primarily

1).to have an A1 Presence

2) build the A1 for next years

3) accommodate the local demand for A1 ( south east)

4) provide an opportuinity for A1 on their own with no A+

5) drive the race profile

6) our 1 day Frank O Rourke usually does not have A1

7) test our circuit on A1 Legs and gain the feedback.

its a task, i believe we can do it.

we only opened the A1 last week so our numbers are for 1 week of opening only.

we have days to go and will keep open.

confident we can hit 20-24, but need the word to spread

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement