Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Off on honeymoon tomorrow and so excited! Need some sun and relaxation. A friend is minding the two small dogs and a lovely boardies is minding the hyper one! I hope she's behaving herself!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Congrats Mrs!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Congrats TillyGirl :)

Dude is being so lovely at the moment, he's finally started rubbing his face into me, on my birthday of all days! Like an extra little present :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Congrats Tillygirl, and happy birthday sillymangox!

Off work today and jake has been purring loudly beside my head the last half hour, he thinks I should be up and cuddling him by now.

The sun is shining so I better get up and walk dogs, and do some gardening (when is summer coming?) and all the other cleaning etc that days off always contain :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Congratulations Tillygirl, have a great holiday!
    And belated happy birthday Sillymango!

• Advertisement

Trying to get the house clean before my party tomorrow is not easy with a hyperactive kitten, not only is he the actual cause of most of the mess, he also insists on grabbing the sweeping brush, attacking my hands anytime I pick anything up, latching onto my moms arms when she's wiping any part of the floor and worst of all he keeps stealing all my loose socks, running around so fast I can't catch him with them, and then hides them!! Anyone want a kitten for the weekend? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Congrats TillyGirl and Happy Birthday SillyMangoX!!

The chickens are settling in nicely and the dogs are so well behaved that I decided I'd bring them into the chicken run one at a time, on the lead, for a face to face introduction. I took Henry in first. He was a bit nervous and I had to coax him through the gate. One of the hens (Salt) waddled up to him, gave him a big peck on the nose and waddled off again. Poor Henry... he wasn't hurt but he backed out of that chicken run so fast! :D:o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Congrats and Happy Birthday ladies! TGIF what a week! :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I've been busy strimming today, and a song popped into my head and just will not leave. Swimming, early 90s, an Irish band? I cannot for the life of me remember the band's name and it is driving me absolutely bananas. Anybody got any ideas? Apparently Hector played it a few days ago. Of course its the word strimming that I'm singing, instead of swimming. :D Have put this question in the music forum, so hopefully someone here or in there can put me out of my misery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

ISDW wrote: »
    I've been busy strimming today, and a song popped into my head and just will not leave. Swimming, early 90s, an Irish band? I cannot for the life of me remember the band's name and it is driving me absolutely bananas. Anybody got any ideas? Apparently Hector played it a few days ago. Of course its the word strimming that I'm singing, instead of swimming. :D Have put this question in the music forum, so hopefully someone here or in there can put me out of my misery.

There are not Irish but the first one that popped into my head was 'Nightswimming' by REM 1993?

• Advertisement

Saints and Sinners by any chance? Or Saints and Strimmers for you lol :P

If you go to his page on 2fm.ie you can see the playlist from each show ;)

Sorry, I found it, it was Swimmer by The Big Dish, Scottish band, not Irish. a great song though, and now I'm happy :D

I went to Hector's page, can't believe he plays so few songs on a breakfast show!

Maybe they don't count the crap charty ones they have to play every bloody day at the same time! :mad:

K was coming home from work yesterday and spotted a dog lying by the side of the road. He did a U turn and went back to her and he sat with her talking to her to see if she was responsive or not. He thought she was ok because she was panting and trying to sit up, he didn't recognise the signs of shock.

A lady stopped and knew the local vet so called her and K dropped the dog in. Apparently there are a few dogs roaming the area after a fair. The vet is doing all the searching for owners but reckons she was thrown from a car. Now we're waiting to see if there is any news on her. She's on pain killers but I'm not sure the vet can do much else. K thought she looked pregnant, I'm hoping it wasn't swelling from internal injuries (can that happen?). He's left his number so if she makes it either the lady who stopped or ourselves will take her and try find her a home.

Apparently she was gorgeous and very sweet considering the pain and fear she must have been feeling. I really hope she makes it.

:mad:

Just up in Maxizoo there - our last stop after being out all morning ..a local very big rescue was there at the door... They said hello on the way in but we didn't stop to chat - Bailey was on a mission to get inside lol. On the way out they stopped me - have you head of the rescue etc to which I replied I knew it well because we donate stuff to them all the time and not 2 weeks ago I donated 15l of industrial disinfectant as well as 30 tennis balls, some toys and a box of cows ears.. Anyhoos got a pushy sales pitch and she tried to hand me a clipboard to sign up to be a member and make a monthly payment. I didn't take the clipboard off her and said I'd think about.. Was asked was I working, told they would not get money off the government if they didn't get donations because they get a percentage back..again said I'd have to think about it as I already donate to lots of different rescues and was asked could I not spare €2.50 a week so they can save more dogs.. again said I'd think about it and walked away at this stage before I lost my temper.
    This is a recuse with purpose built premises, full time staff as well as 100s of volunteers and they afford to advertise on TV ...so why the fudge are they more deserving than people who don't have staff or facilities like theirs running rescues by themselves, with sponsorship for their cars etc etc etc. The last lot of stuff I gave going by Maxizoos prices would have been worth close to €100 (the toys were unused ones we got as presents that Bailey doesn't like) but I she pretty much told me that they want cash only. TBH I don't think I'll donate to them again after that.
    They remind me of politicians kissing babies - trying to pet my dog and get on our good side before the pitch comes in...

On a lighter note... Seriously - this toy - wtf like?? :pac:

tk123 wrote: »
    :mad:

Just up in Maxizoo there - our last stop after being out all morning ..a local very big rescue was there at the door... They said hello on the way in but we didn't stop to chat - Bailey was on a mission to get inside lol. On the way out they stopped me - have you head of the rescue etc to which I replied I knew it well because we donate stuff to them all the time and not 2 weeks ago I donated 15l of industrial disinfectant as well as 30 tennis balls, some toys and a box of cows ears.. Anyhoos got a pushy sales pitch and she tried to hand me a clipboard to sign up to be a member and make a monthly payment. I didn't take the clipboard off her and said I'd think about.. Was asked was I working, told they would not get money off the government if they didn't get donations because they get a percentage back..again said I'd have to think about it as I already donate to lots of different rescues and was asked could I not spare €2.50 a week so they can save more dogs.. again said I'd think about it and walked away at this stage before I lost my temper.
    This is a recuse with purpose built premises, full time staff as well as 100s of volunteers and they afford to advertise on TV ...so why the fudge are they more deserving than people who don't have staff or facilities like theirs running rescues by themselves, with sponsorship for their cars etc etc etc. The last lot of stuff I gave going by Maxizoos prices would have been worth close to €100 (the toys were unused ones we got as presents that Bailey doesn't like) but I she pretty much told me that they want cash only. TBH I don't think I'll donate to them again after that.
    They remind me of politicians kissing babies - trying to pet my dog and get on our good side before the pitch comes in...

On a lighter note... Seriously - this toy - wtf like?? :pac:

They are a fantastic rescue, but yes, paid fundraisers who work on commission, so of course they are going to be pushy, but I disagree with that. I have been told that they are the richest charity in the UK. Again, they are great, they have done so much in Ireland, but shame they have to be so pushy.

That toy is unreal, are they seriously selling that?

That toy is unreal, are they seriously selling that?

YES!! lol and they have it a good year - why would anyone want it lol?!:p
    http://www.best-pets.co.uk/pet-owner/catalogue/products.php?id=572213

tk123 wrote: »
    YES!! lol and they have it a good year - why would anyone want it lol?!:p
    http://www.best-pets.co.uk/pet-owner/catalogue/products.php?id=572213

Female dogs have needs too ya know :P

Lol I can't believe they have different ones. I wonder does anyone actually buy them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

TK i'd email them and let them know their "chuggers" are doing more harm than good tbh. Cant stand that pushy charity begging either and it'd put me right off too. People dont respond well to that and id rather donate of my own volition,by watching how charities operate and interact with the public AS WELL as with animals.

• Advertisement

Well I sent a pic to my bro and joked he should get one for his friend after her dog found and carried a dildo in her mount in the Phoenix Park the other week - LMAO!! :P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I think I know the charity you refer to, I had a very pushy guy call to my house recently trying to sign me up for donations.
    I was in the garden with the dogs and cats all around me at the time and due to the fact my front door is on the side of the house beside a large gate into my garden, he could see us all.
    When I said I prefer to donate to whom I choose, when I choose, he got very pushy and tried to enter my garden! Nearly letting my dogs out in the process, and got a bit stroppy when I told him to to get off my property and warned him if my dogs got out he'd be held responsible.
    I got mad and pointed out I tried to home a dog from said rescue, they refused as I was too far away, I also called them to get a place for 2 pups I found, again they refused due to distance, so I will support a local rescue instead.
    One that doesn't allow a company to collect on their behalf and keep most of the donation!

Just cut the grass and now the dogs have green feet!
    Why do weeds grow so fast, got a good 3 hrs work ahead pulling them all.

Anniehoo I did email the charity, but got no response :(

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

:o at the dog toy! I thought it was a coincidence that it looked like a willie (Can I use that word here? !) Until I saw the second link. I almost want one just for the shock value when people come around.

Whispered, that's so sad about that dog. I can't understand how anyone could throw a dog out of a car. Fair play to K and the other person for stopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Even more ironic then Mymo when twice you were refused on distance grounds by them, but their chuggers clearly didnt your house was too far away. :rolleyes:

edit: My 5000th post OMG!!!!!!!I only came on here for a "browse" 6 years ago lol

Never sure if congratulations are in order when people hit milestones on forums, or commiserations for spending so much time on it. :D

I'll go with the Congratulations

I just picked up my cake for my party tonight... aaah so cute!!!!!

bdaycake_zps9098eddd.jpg

That's a brilliant cake!! Happy birthday.

TK it is one of the things which annoys me about that charity (if it's the one I'm thinking of).... I had a big post ready to go but I'll leave it at that. I think it's great so many people here who do support animal charities are so careful in choosing them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Congratulations Sillymango, that cake looks fabulous.

I prefer to donate to the smaller independent organisations who help feral cats that would otherwise go unhelped. They are usually just groups of a few like-minded people who've gotten together and who are desperately trying to make a difference to needy animals that they help.

I had a breakthrough with Toby today, he let me stroke his head this morning when I went out to give him his breakfast of roast chicken. He's using both of our sheds these day, one to eat in the other to sleep in. He's managed to sneak in past our other 2 a couple of times but they chase him out, thankfully they don't fight just let him know not to come in to the house yet. I think it's gonna be a long time before they let him in.

He's looking much better now. His white patches are nice and clean, they were grey and grubby when he arrived. I think now that he's got food and shelter he can have some long grooming sessions:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Wow sillymango, what a fantastic cake! Wow!
    Whispered, any news on that poor wee mite? Big clap on the back for K, great work. What sort of dog is she? I hope she's okay. Can you just imagine what goes through a dog's mind after getting thrown out of a car? It must be terrifying :-(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Happy birthday sillymango! !
    So proud of my little boy today, he made his communion last week and decided that he wants to give some of his money to charity. We were in maxizoo this afternoon and Limerick feral cats were there so he gave them some of his money, and had lovely cuddles off the kittens!
    I only wish we could do more

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement