Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOD stays on for another year! - Confirmed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

sydthebeat wrote: »
    holy crap but theres just no justification for that comment.

players should be screened for central contracts based on 4 year cycles???

Yeah, cause, you know, we're real contenders.

:pac:

The 6N is and should be the top priority of the Irish rugby team. The RWC is a great tournament that we should give our all for but we do not have the resources to sacrifice other games to prepare.

Assuming BOD finishes at the end of next season's 6N, that gives us 14 tests (i.e. loads) for Jared Payne his replacement to settle in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

BoD plays 1st game of the season for Leinster.
    BoD gets injured.
    BoD pockets the money while continuing his punditry for sky sports and carrying water bottles.
    BoD makes a guest appearance, just when his replacement is gaining in confidence.
    Meanwhile we are even less ready for the WC, which most of you would agree we should be targeting.

If a player is too old to make it to the WC, then he should not have a central contract.

We've already been through this with RoG, this year!
    Oh and we have the same issue at 12.

You are forgetting, Joe is calling the shots now, it will be managed beautifully.

Right now my biggest concern is how to best celebrate winning our first World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

"2 more years" 2morrow night. Even tho he is not playing.

RWC here we come...854 days to go

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=83785295

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

holy crap but theres just no justification for that comment.

players should be screened for central contracts based on 4 year cycles???

Not so sure. I think it has merit. He'll almost certainly play less internationals in the coming season than other provincially contracted players. Aside from his unique place in Irish rugby there is no real justification for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Buer wrote: »
    Yeah, cause, you know, we're real contenders.

:pac:

The 6N is and should be the top priority of the Irish rugby team. The RWC is a great tournament that we should give our all for but we do not have the resources to sacrifice other games to prepare.

Assuming BOD finishes at the end of next season's 6N, that gives us 14 tests (i.e. loads) for Jared Payne his replacement to settle in.

This is the reason we have OAP's playing rugby long after they've given their best and it is exactly the short sighted attitude that I've come to expect.
    I hope BoD doesn't live to regret his decision, I myself am already regretting it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

This is the reason we have OAP's playing rugby long after they've given their best and it is exactly the short sighted attitude that I've come to expect.
    I hope BoD doesn't live to regret his decision, I myself am already regretting it.

Why? He's the best 13 in Ireland, not as good as he was but still well ahead of the competition.

Unless he has a dramatic decline in the space of 12 months there's nothing wrong with him playing for another year

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

If EOM wasn't so unlucky with injury BOD would've retired by now. Now he gets a chance to wind down his career rather then drop it after a season of covering for other players.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,254 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Gambas wrote: »
    Not so sure. I think it has merit. He'll almost certainly play less internationals in the coming season than other provincially contracted players. Aside from his unique place in Irish rugby there is no real justification for it.

a fit BOD is a playing BOD, no questions.

He wont be dropped for loss of form.

also, its a one year contract. The pretenders to the throne know exactly what they have to do to replace him contact wise

The manager chooses the player to play.

I've no issue with players that are "past it" making themselves available for Ireland and giving 100% of what they have left.

The manager that chooses them is the issue.

That fella's gone now anyway, Joe won't be making the same mistakes as his predecessors. He's shown that he is not even a 23 man squad kind of guy.

(EOS 15 man, DK 23, Joe - 52!)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

.ak wrote: »
    If EOM wasn't so unlucky with injury BOD would've retired by now. Now he gets a chance to wind down his career rather then drop it after a season of covering for other players.

Of the four most likely replacements in Leinster for BOD at 13, three are majorly injury prone and one is better in three different positions then he is at 13.

Hard for Leinster to face but unfortunately its true

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Meanwhile we are even less ready for the WC, which most of you would agree we should be targeting.

I certainly don't, and I'm far from alone in that thought. I consider the RWC a nice diversion but nothing more.

Also there is no comparison between ROG and BOD situations. ROG hasn't been the best 10 for over two years, BOD is still the best 13 we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Which 13 in the country is currently playing better than BOD??

You can be sure as hell if there is someone putting their hand up for the jersey ahead of him, then they will get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I consider the RWC a nice diversion but nothing more.

To me, the world cup is the pinnacle, there's nothing to touch it, but hey, everyone's entitled to their opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

To me, the world cup is the pinnacle, there's nothing to touch it, but hey, everyone's entitled to their opinion.
    Whether it's the RWC or the 6N, the question of who's good enough to replace BOD is still not answered.

It's not even answered at provincial level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Thud

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Honestly id be slightly worried about his health in the long run especially after the Lions tour. BOD is one of the most passionate rugby players out there but you have to wonder what sort of state he ll be left in down the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

No, the reason we have older players in positions is because when we have the opportunity to try out different players in lesser games or to drip feed them into the side, we don't take it. We put out some of our older, best players consistently in recent seasons against the likes of Fiji and Samoa or against Italy at home when we were more than able to drop in a few younger players that had earned a shot. We flog them to death on a 3 game tour of NZ rather than try and change things up. That's when the time is to change things around somewhat.

For the big 6N games we will select our strongest side and rightly so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

rrpc wrote: »
    Whether it's the RWC or the 6N, the question of who's good enough to replace BOD is still not answered.

It's not even answered at provincial level.

In one sense, no one can replace BOD. He is a once in a lifetime talent.

In the literal sense, I think we will be looking at Cave and EOM and maybe Payne when / if he becomes IC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

They'll be smiling upside-down in the streets of Dublin tonight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

You know who's delighted with this? Matt O'Connor.

Taking over Leinster minus Sexton and Nacewa is bad enough but trying to make a success of your first season withouth O'Driscoll as well would have been a nightmare.

Regarding the succession plan, you would hope that today's announcement will focus the coaching staff and make them realise that, while O'Driscoll is still the best 13 by a clear distance, he's on his victory lap now and we need to start looking at alternatives. Cave and McFadden are next in line, IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

o no in another 12 months all the media fanboys will be pleading with him to hang on for the WC ...waaaaaaaaahhhhhh:mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

You know who's delighted with this? Matt O'Connor.

Taking over Leinster minus Sexton and Nacewa is bad enough but trying to make a success of your first season withouth O'Driscoll as well would have been a nightmare.

Regarding the succession plan, you would hope that today's announcement will focus the coaching staff and make them realise that, while O'Driscoll is still the best 13 by a clear distance, he's on his victory lap now and we need to start looking at alternatives. Cave and McFadden are next in line, IMO.

I don't rate McFadden as an international 13, good at filling a gap for Leinster but I think that's it. Would like to see him at 12 but I'd have Earls at 13 over him for Ireland

Cave clear second choice for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

o no in another 12 months all the media fanboys will be pleading with him to hang on for the WC ...waaaaaaaaahhhhhh:mad::mad:

Yeah! It's almost like they WANT Ireland to have a better chance at winning!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Has to be a Kiwi :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Yeah! It's almost like they WANT Ireland to have a better chance at winning!:pac:

If we're dependent on a 35 yo BOD to give us 12 months more for a better chance of winning, its all the one tbh,. Great and all as he is, he is past his best and that situation is not going to change in 12 months time, to be fair,.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

trouttrout wrote: »
    I don't rate McFadden as an international 13, good at filling a gap for Leinster but I think that's it. Would like to see him at 12 but I'd have Earls at 13 over him for Ireland

Based on what I've seen of McFadden, I'd agree, but I think a decent run of games at 13 would see him improve. Probably not a long-term solution though. Cave is definitely next in line. Re: Earls, he's had his chances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I'm sure he will announce his retirement well in advance

• Subscribers Posts: 41,254 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

vkid wrote: »
    If we're dependent on a 35 yo BOD to give us 12 months more for a better chance of winning, its all the one tbh,. Great and all as he is, he is past his best and that situation is not going to change in 12 months time, to be fair,.

as far beyond his best as he is, he is STILL our best selection at 13 when fit.

Thats incontrovertible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

trouttrout wrote: »

Yeah, I think McFadden, in general, has a level that he performs to, and that's even lower when he's at 13.

Not sold on Cave either really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

a fit BOD is a playing BOD, no questions.

He wont be dropped for loss of form.

also, its a one year contract. The pretenders to the throne know exactly what they have to do to replace him contact wise

A fit BOD is a hope rather than an expectation. If he had the same prospects of being fit for any given game, as say Jamie Heaslip then there would be no issue. The man is on the verge of retiring not because he 'no longer has it' but because of what he's put his body through.

Advertisement