Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOD stays on for another year! - Confirmed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

sydthebeat wrote: »
    as far beyond his best as he is, he is STILL our best selection at 13 when fit.

Thats incontrovertible.

Six syllables. You win.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

A good year for Ireland under Schmidt and he might be tempted to hang on another year for a World Cup shot...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

tolosenc wrote: »
    A good year for Ireland under Schmidt and he might be tempted to hang on another year for a World Cup shot...

If he maintains physical health and his level of performance I'll be absolutely shocked. But then again if one man can do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

sydthebeat wrote: »
    as far beyond his best as he is, he is STILL our best selection at 13 when fit.

Thats incontrovertible.

While he is the best option at the moment, its is as I say all the one, if thats still the case in 2015.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Fooker

This is terrible news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

Grimebox wrote: »

If you listen carefully, you can hear a squeeky high-pitched voice. That's Grimebox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Swiwi wrote: »
    If you listen carefully, you can hear a squeeky high-pitched voice. That's Grimebox.

Also shouting "four more years"!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Hope it works out for him, i.e. another GS, but would be genuinely concerned for his health both now and later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

Grimebox wrote: »
    Also shouting "four more years"!

That was Gregan, you cheeky bastard, and no doubt he had a high-pitched voice too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I have to say I really rate Cave, and I'd love to see what Schmidt could do with him in an Irish side.

I wouldn't put either Earls or McFadden at 13 internationally. I'd barely put McFadden there for Leinster only for injuries. He's an IC all day long for me. And Earls, while decent in the centre, is a top class winger. I really wish he'd show the same "I don't care where I play as long as I play" attitude that Ferg has.

EOM has looked the real deal at times, but his injury troubles have really prevented him coming on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

great stuff, now if we could just squeeze one more long year in, that would get us over the World Cup line, and a fitting send off with JS and POC

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

molloyjh wrote: »
    I have to say I really rate Cave, and I'd love to see what Schmidt could do with him in an Irish side.

I wouldn't put either Earls or McFadden at 13 internationally. I'd barely put McFadden there for Leinster only for injuries. He's an IC all day long for me. And Earls, while decent in the centre, is a top class winger. I really wish he'd show the same "I don't care where I play as long as I play" attitude that Ferg has.

EOM has looked the real deal at times, but his injury troubles have really prevented him coming on.

EOM looked very good as a 22 year old playing against Clermont in Clermont. I'm disappointed as a fan to see how his development has stalled, can't imagine how frustrating it must be for him. If he gets back for next season and Leinster drip feed him some big games he should be in a good place to take over from BOD for Leinster at least.

Also as a side note, I feckin love McFadden. Totally committed and willing to play anywhere just to play, his performances against Clermont for Leinster and France for Ireland were something to behold, complete disregard for his own safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭lologram

o no in another 12 months all the media fanboys will be pleading with him to hang on for the WC ...waaaaaaaaahhhhhh:mad::mad:

You're taking the mickmackey

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Seanbass

don't feed the troll!

Re McFadden, in fairness Kidney never game him a decent chance,.
    he's barely played center Internationally and he plays his heart out when given chances on the wing, Great in defence, good chasing and he can finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Gott

Well pleased with this, wonder if he feels he has it in him to hang on til the WC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Seanbass wrote: »
    don't feed the troll!

Re McFadden, in fairness Kidney never game him a decent chance,.
    he's barely played center Internationally and he plays his heart out when given chances on the wing, Great in defence, good chasing and he can finish.

Great in defence my hole. There are numerous examples of him being at sea defensively when playing 13. He's a very hard working player with a bit of pace; Trimble without the power and able to kick from a tee.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

o no in another 12 months all the media fanboys will be pleading with him to hang on for the WC ...waaaaaaaaahhhhhh:mad::mad:

Jealousy is bad for you mick.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Seanbass

Great in defence my hole. There are numerous examples of him being at sea defensively when playing 13. He's a very hard working player with a bit of pace; Trimble without the power and able to kick from a tee.

That's fair enough except for the last bit.

I meant he's solid in defence on the wing, seeing how often he actually plays 13 its no wonder he's a bit out defensively. I don't know about you but when I'm thrown in a new position it takes a while to get my bearings and feel comfortable. besides I think he's a better 12 anyway.

and power wise I've seen him break plenty of tackles and the gain line where other players might have stalled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

McFadden has a ridiculous amount of power for his size. His leg drive is outstanding

He's not the best defender at 13 but he's a fantastic one on one tackler which would suit him at 12

And he's got a lot more than a bit of pace. He's lightning

I'd have him on the wing for Ireland ahead of Trimble

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Coburger

Fooker wrote: »
    This is terrible news.

I think terrible is taking it a bit strong but a bit mixed news I guess. BOD seems to be injured quite a lot these days. If he is fit to play and does well with the Lions it would have been a good way to finish a fantastic career.

I hope he's not going to be picked for Ireland if there are other players who could be played in preparation for the next world cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Tbh the best thing that happened to Ferg was Joe playing him on the wing. He wouldn't have gotten the look in at either inside or outside centre and wouldn't have gone to the RWC as a result, or even gotten 6 Nations game time. He's said himself though that he's more of an inside centre than outside, so it won't ever be him taking over the reigns from Drico when the great man does hang up his boots.

I've had a fairly crappy day in work, but even that isn't enough to stop me smiling at the thought of another year watching Brian on the pitch. Whoever takes over from him has big boots to fill and I don't envy them that, but let's just look forward to next season for now.

• Administrators Posts: 53,449 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'm surprised he has only played 50 games more for leinster than Ireland. Thought it would be way more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Been away all day and just came back to this!!! Excellent news! Just hope he stays healthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭silverbirch66

Great news and well deserved.

My only concern is the age profile and years of hits himself and Darcy have took.(if they are to resume their partnership)

Probably be the oldest centre partnership in world rugby by a distance,I'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

What people seem to be forgetting is what this may mean for BOD. A year working with Joe Schmidt (who lets remember he helped persuade take the Irish job) and the promise that brings for the near future. Really the first chance he'll have to play in an Irish team with a top class coach and the possibility of finishing his career on a high.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeah Ferg's weakest position is 13. Oddly enough his strongest position is 12, but he plays most of his rugby on the wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Anyone hear George Hook on the John Murray (Miriam O'Callaghan)? He was very fired up about the effect of serious injuries, and concussion in particular, on the long term health of players. I agree with him but BOD is not stupid, and the Da is a doc. I think it is just fabulous that BOD is staying on, but I really hope that he is used sparingly. Just having him in the squad is inspirational for the others - priceless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

vienne86 wrote: »
    Anyone hear George Hook on the John Murray (Miriam O'Callaghan)? He was very fired up about the effect of serious injuries, and concussion in particular, on the long term health of players. I agree with him but BOD is not stupid, and the Da is a doc. I think it is just fabulous that BOD is staying on, but I really hope that he is used sparingly. Just having him in the squad is inspirational for the others - priceless.

I saw him tweeting about it yesterday - I think George is just being his contrarian self, had BOD decided to retire he probably would have complained about that as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Scott_Tenorman_tears_South_Park.jpg

Your tears are so bitter and delicious.

Advertisement