Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOD stays on for another year! - Confirmed

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Teferi wrote: »
    I'd actually like to see ROG staying on too. Think his Irish situation was handled horribly, would like to see him get a testimonial at the least and he could still play a big part at Munster for a season.

His Irish situation was handled the same way as everyone else's, i.e. he wasn't up to it and was dropped.

But this thread is about O'Driscoll. Happy thoughts everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Clearly BOD just wants the Ireland Caps record back off ROG.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

Larbre34 wrote: »
    O'Driscoll shouldn't be Ireland captain again, there'd be more upset in undoing the error, besides which he probably will only play selected games.

Better let him off doing what he does best, playing 7,9 and 13 all at once.......!

I don't know about "selected games". He's still our best player. He'll probably be given the Samoa match off but he's bound to play against Oz, NZ, and all the Six Nations matches. So if he stays injury free and before retiring next summer he'll likely have played seven of eight possible matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Killser

BOD back for one more year - lovin it !!

'In BOD, we trust'

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

His Irish situation was handled the same way as everyone else's, i.e. he wasn't up to it and was dropped.

Stupidly happy thoughts. This is fast becoming one of the best few weeks ever. Schmidt announced as Irish coach, Leinster in 2 finals with 5 successive games in the RDS, one of which could see us get a record 3 successive European titles, Clermont to shout for in the HEC, Stan & Filipe & Rocky back in Dublin, Drico announces a contract extension and I got my itinerary for the Lions tour last night so there's the excitement for that too.

H38Ui0Z.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,845 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I don't think we need to let children see the above .gif do we?

Put up a little smug dance instead......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Brilliant, Bring on NZ in November, that is going to be epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Larbre34 wrote: »
    "Good morning, IRFU, how may I direct your call?"

"Howya boy, its Ronan here."

"Ronan who?"

"Ronan....Ronan O'Gara!"

"oh right, hello Ronan. What can we do for you?"

"Ive changed my mind, where can I get one of those pre-retirement, play the odd game for a year, victory lap contracts?"

"Sorry, a what?"

"The yoke you just gave the O'Driscoll lad there"

"(Chuckles) oh that, ehhhh sorry Ronan, I dont think so, but thanks for the call" *click*

"Langers!"

Is that not what ROG was doing for the last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Clearly BOD just wants the Ireland Caps record back off ROG.

Fantastic dummy by BOD, in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

ambid wrote: »
    I don't know about "selected games". He's still our best player. He'll probably be given the Samoa match off but he's bound to play against Oz, NZ, and all the Six Nations matches. So if he stays injury free and before retiring next summer he'll likely have played seven of eight possible matches.

Which, along with two or more test caps for the Lions this summer would see him overtake George Gregan as the most capped test player of all time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

The top 50 players have their contracts directly with the IRFU. So they can't choose to stop playing for country and keep paying for their club

All contracts are central. The three types are International, Provincial and Academy as far as I know.

Also the number was never as high as 50. It was around 35 and is being brought down to around 25 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

The top 50 players have their contracts directly with the IRFU. So they can't choose to stop playing for country and keep paying for their club

Maybe, but it's hardly a prison sentence. They're hardly going to force him to play if he says he doesn't have it in him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

o god not another driscoll circus fed up to the back teeth of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

YAY! - No more curled up in the dark wearing my leinster jersey and weeping over a picture of BOD... till next year at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,845 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

He speaks very highly of you........

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeah me too! Grr, I hate having the best Irish player in the professional history signing up to play another year of rugby, and I hate people who like it too! GRR! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

What circus?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

.ak wrote: »
    Yeah me too! Grr, I hate having the best Irish player in the professional history signing up to play another year of rugby, and I hate people who like it too! GRR! :mad:

I know so irritating ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

ambid wrote: »

Given his injury record I think there is merit in using him sparingly. As well as his playing ability his presence in the camp can't be underestimated. I think Schmidt sees in him the same qualities he strives for as a coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

P_1 wrote: »
    I know so irritating ;)

Sure you know what he's like. It's all me, me, me, me, me. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Fantastic news for Leinster, Ireland I'm not too sure. It looks very unlikely that his body will cope with another year after next and we could well go into the RWC with only the one N to find his successor.

Hopefully the management recognise this and BOD is sparingly used as a proper succession policy is put in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Dats de Limerick coming out in ya kid!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,757 ✭✭✭✭bilston

What are the chances...? BOD signs on for another year and then retires just in time to become Sky's face for their Pro 12/HEC/Irish test match coverage from 2014/15 and beyond.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Brilliant, brilliant news ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Fantastic news. A rugby legend, and not just in Ireland, widely recognised as the finest centre in modern day rugby, the consummate professional, and a guy any aspiring young rugby player would look up to.

When he does retire, he will retire with the plaudits of the rugby world in his ears.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭shootermacg

BoD plays 1st game of the season for Leinster.
    BoD gets injured.
    BoD pockets the money while continuing his punditry for sky sports and carrying water bottles.
    BoD makes a guest appearance, just when his replacement is gaining in confidence.
    Meanwhile we are even less ready for the WC, which most of you would agree we should be targeting.

If a player is too old to make it to the WC, then he should not have a central contract.

We've already been through this with RoG, this year!
    Oh and we have the same issue at 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Disagree completely. There is still room for a certain amount of sentiment in professional sport. He should have been told he wouldn't be playing the 6N and allowed to make an announcement of his international retirement by himself. It's the least he is owed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Drico saw what you wrote and this is exactly what he looks like right now

Woody-Harrelson.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

he deserves all the money

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

BoD plays 1st game of the season for Leinster.
    BoD gets injured.
    BoD pockets the money while continuing his punditry for sky sports and carrying water bottles.
    BoD makes a guest appearance, just when his replacement is gaining in confidence.
    Meanwhile we are even less ready for the WC, which most of you would agree we should be targeting.

If a player is too old to make it to the WC, then he should not have a central contract.

We've already been through this with RoG, this year!
    Oh and we have the same issue at 12.

holy crap but theres just no justification for that comment.

players should be screened for central contracts based on 4 year cycles???

Advertisement