Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2013 Cooking Club Week 10: Banana Bread

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Two loaves in the oven now. I mashed the bananas with my ricer, used butter instead of margarine (yuck) and added some chocolate chips. The smell coming from the oven is making me want to climb in there...!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Two loaves in the oven now. I mashed the bananas with my ricer, used butter instead of margarine (yuck) and added some chocolate chips. The smell coming from the oven is making me want to climb in there...!

I used butter too. Can't be doing with that other stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

oscarBravo wrote: »
    BaZmO* wrote: »
    I used butter too. Can't be doing with that other stuff.

Same here never used marg, always butter tastes so much nicer

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

banana-bread.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭tampopo

Here's a couple of photos of the banana breads I made with OP's recipie (with eggs,without cinnamon and white sugar not brown)

but it shows the butter wrapper instead of the cake mould/paper.

Must make it again today, later. Got some cinnamon in the meantime...

thanks again OP

t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,486 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Forgot to take a photo of mine, but it looked almost exactly like Bazmo's. I exchanged about 50g of the flour for oat bran. I also forgot to add the walnuts until after it was in the oven, despite opening the packet.

Everyone who had it said it was fantastic. I would have preferred it to be more banana-ey, but ill see about that the next time I make it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Made these in muffin cases, 28 mins at 160C did them perfectly. Not banana-y enough for me despite 3 small bananas, but still lovely. Raisins will be added next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

This was absolutely delicious, thanks for the recipe! My house also smells amazing since baking it! I did a big loaf, and had enough left over for 3 little muffins. I had a muffin and it was gorgeous, but won't get any of the loaf as it's going into work with my dad to save me eating it all.

I added an extra banana and used very brown ones to increase the banana flavour

Just found a picture of the banana bread (that I don't remember taking but how and ever)...

It went down really well in my dads work, was gone in minutes!

I'm seeing a plate of pasta???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I swear if I had a brain I'd be dangerous! Banana bread attached now :o

• Advertisement

looks lovely
    :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Forgot to take a photo of mine, but it looked almost exactly like Bazmo's. I exchanged about 50g of the flour for oat bran. I also forgot to add the walnuts until after it was in the oven, despite opening the packet.

When your doing an exchange like that - do you do a straight swap.

Does the bran need more liquid for it? I presume then bran will be heavier in the cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

These are in the oven now. Looking forward to fresh loaves of banana bread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭breakfast roll

When using butter does it matter if it is salted or unsalted ?

When using butter does it matter if it is salted or unsalted ?

I use the salted/normal butter. I've never tried the unsalted butter as I would just use what I have in the house

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    When your doing an exchange like that - do you do a straight swap.

Does the bran need more liquid for it? I presume then bran will be heavier in the cake.

I did a straight up swap. I wasn't basing it on any solid knowledge or technique or anything, just seeing what would happen for the craic. It seemed to work ok

I did a straight up swap. I wasn't basing it on any solid knowledge or technique or anything, just seeing what would happen for the craic. It seemed to work ok

Cool. I want to start switching a few things around in the recipes so glad to hear it worked good for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 redband36

Hi
    Could anybody tell me the shelf life of the above, and should it be kept chilled or at room temp.
    many Thanks

redband36 wrote: »
    Hi
    Could anybody tell me the shelf life of the above, and should it be kept chilled or at room temp.
    many Thanks

As I make 2 of them one is normally gone in the first day, fresh out of the oven:p

but the second one is good for 2 or 3 days, I put it in one of the resealable sandwich type bags and have it left on the work top. It's yummy toasted.

If I don't feel like eating it but want to use up ripe bananas then I put it in the freezer, it freezes well.

Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

I made this with grated apple instead of banana and it is really delicious

• Advertisement

I made this with grated apple instead of banana and it is really delicious

Cooking or eating apples?

If cooking, did you add more sugar to the recipe?

I made these again today & came out lovely. Albeit recipe is altered enough now not to be original recipe.:rolleyes: I had 5/6 bananas that were black with ripeness so ideal for this.
    I doubled the recipe, but only put in half the walnuts - that seems to be perfect amount. I also used less margarine, about 4ozs less over the double, & less sugar also.
    Of course putting them into muffin cases.

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    Cooking or eating apples?

If cooking, did you add more sugar to the recipe?

I made these again today & came out lovely. Albeit recipe is altered enough now not to be original recipe.:rolleyes: I had 5/6 bananas that were black with ripeness so ideal for this.
    I doubled the recipe, but only put in half the walnuts - that seems to be perfect amount. I also used less margarine, about 4ozs less over the double, & less sugar also.
    Of course putting them into muffin cases.
    Eating. I reduced the sugar and left out the nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MsQuinn

Made it a few weeks ago. Used hazelnuts instead of walnuts and it was delicious.

Just put another batch in the oven about 10 mins ago. After cleaning up, I noticed I forgot the cinnamon:mad:

Hopefully it will be edible.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

I've been making banana bread every week for the last few weeks, I hate nuts, so instead of nuts I've been adding either a punnet of blueberries, or strawberries - I have a new love for banana bread (I'd actually never had it before lol)

:)

Likewise, I never had it before and only made it because it seemed interesting. Since I try to avoid wheat/bread in general, I look for excuses to make this.

Last batch, I made slightly too much mix so put some into 3 muffin cases, intending on giving them to my house mates. Once they cooled down, I couldn't resist and scoffed them :D

I love this recipe. I used sweet potatoes instead of banana the other day and it was really nice. Next time I'm going to try courgettes

I love this recipe. I used sweet potatoes instead of banana the other day and it was really nice. Next time I'm going to try courgettes

Did you cook the sweet potato first or just grate it into it.

I've been using this recipe with years and never tried it with anything other than bananas. I've bought extra apples this week to try them but intrigued with the sweet potato idea.

fitzcoff wrote: »
    Did you cook the sweet potato first or just grate it into it.

I've been using this recipe with years and never tried it with anything other than bananas. I've bought extra apples this week to try them but intrigued with the sweet potato idea.

I baked them and roughly mashed the flesh. I used 4 small ones and left out the walnuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Made this again today since I had 3 black bananas handy. Baked it in a 30cm loaf tin (I dunno how many lbs this is, just says 30cm). Used butter instead though. Lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Just went into dealz and got a loaf tin, bananas are going black at home and will be getting the walnuts and some other ingredients I'm short tomorrow. Looking forward to it, I've never made banana bread before or even tasted it so can't wait to try it.

Advertisement