Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 Cooking Club Week 10: Banana Bread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

Best of luck with it, it's a easy recipe and tastes delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

So I finally got around to making it today, lovely easy recipe, only had 2 small bananas as the 3rd was a little two far gone, definitely needs the extra banana, love the walnuts, gives fantastic texture, like little surprises, oh I also forgot to get brown sugar so used white instead doesn't seem to have ruined it or anything. As I live alone I think that I will have enough banana bread to do me until Xmas, one and a half loaves are gone into the freezer.

Great recipe, highly recommend!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I also tried this recipe lately with great success.

Have made these a few times - but never posted up the results! Great recipe OP. I have tried a few different recipes and this is the only one I've found which doesn't leave a soggy bottom for the muffin cases.

mjll45.jpg

They look great, I love the cases, where did you get them

• Advertisement

fitzcoff wrote: »
    They look great, I love the cases, where did you get them

I need to find that out myself! Have just run out of them. My wife swears they were from a homeware place near st. Stephens Green, but I have doubts. If I remember I'll let you know!

Dónal wrote: »
    Have made these a few times - but never posted up the results! Great recipe OP. I have tried a few different recipes and this is the only one I've found which doesn't leave a soggy bottom for the muffin cases.

mjll45.jpg

Definitely going to do one loaf and the rest as muffins next time, muffins much handier for taking for lunch, they are so pretty!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

You can get the cases in kitchen compliments on south anne street in Dublin. I have gorgeous teal and white checked ones :)

Going to give these a go over the weekend I reckon!

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

I'm pretty useless at baking but made this yesterday and it turned out perfect:) if I do say so myself!
    I'm having some at work now with my cuppa.

Thanks for the recipe.

Just took half a loaf out of the freezer yesterday as I felt like something cakey, just had some there now, it freezes incredibly well!

• Advertisement

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Just took half a loaf out of the freezer yesterday as I felt like something cakey, just had some there now, it freezes incredibly well!

I would often have a batch of buns/muffins in the freezer , real handy for unexpected visitors. Stick them into the microwave or just leave them out to defrost.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Caroleia

thanks for this recipe - I've tried it a few times now and its never let me down!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭zzxx

Made these today, delicious. Thanks OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Made muffins from the recipe today - cooling at present. I used a mix of gluten free four/oat flour, and doubled the baking powder. Also used butter. Didn't have enough walnuts so mixed in some hazelnuts. Smell delish.

For those that care, I've made 12, they work out at about 350 calories each :eek:

Thanks OP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭shhling

Planning on making this today and I have just noticed that I don't have any brown sugar. Could I use caster instead?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I've never actually had banana bread. Is it more like a cake or what's the story? How would you eat it?

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

Faith wrote: »
    I've never actually had banana bread. Is it more like a cake or what's the story? How would you eat it?[/quote

Would you call it a tea cake?? I just like a slice with a cup of tea but my sister likes to toast it with butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭shhling

shhling wrote: »
    Planning on making this today and I have just noticed that I don't have any brown sugar. Could I use caster instead?

Back after using the caster sugar instead of brown even so the muffins and bread look and smell amazing. Can't wait until they cool.

I've used caster and/or brown sugar when making it and I never really found much of a difference.

It's not really a bread as such I find it is more a muffin texture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

Faith wrote: »
    I've never actually had banana bread. Is it more like a cake or what's the story? How would you eat it?

It's a cake. Usually sweet and light, and best served with a hot drink. It's a tea loaf, as has been said, as opposed to a dessert. It's great and you can have it just how you like it, too. I like to throw in dark chocolate and glacé cherries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Just out of the oven. Smells amazing. Just what I need, with a cup of coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bigronnie9

Girlfriend made this last night, kitchen smelled unreal after it and (from what she told me) it was easy to make.

All I know is that it is delicious with a cuppa tea! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

bigronnie9 wrote: »
    Girlfriend made this last night, kitchen smelled unreal after it and (from what she told me) it was easy to make.

All I know is that it is delicious with a cuppa tea! :)

BigRon thanks for bringing up cool zombie threads, I love banana bread, there was/is a bakery on Moore Street called the Paris Bakery where I got it first and the bread was demolished by my family. I'm gonna bake this tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bigronnie9

BigRon thanks for bringing up cool zombie threads, I love banana bread, there was/is a bakery on Moore Street called the Paris Bakery where I got it first and the bread was demolished by my family. I'm gonna bake this tomorrow :)

Did you get a chance to make this? We had another batch last week, the smell around the house after is unreal!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

I just put a batch in the oven - trying the mix in a muffin tray to see how it works :pac:

bigronnie9 wrote: »
    Did you get a chance to make this? We had another batch last week, the smell around the house after is unreal!
    Bigron, not yet, i waited for the bananas to go off so I could mush them down, but they were scoffed before hand, will try again over the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭rocoso

dont understand that form of crap.....

rocoso wrote: »

I can enlighten you, if only I knew what you're on about :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

rocoso wrote: »

Please don't bother posting unless you have something constructive to add. Being uncivil will only earn you an infraction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Sapphire

Back on topic - I recently tried banana bread with pecans and toffee chunks through it.

Oh my word...

Advertisement