Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2013 Cooking Club Week 10: Banana Bread

• 15-03-2013 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

I decided to share my banana bread recipe with you. This is a really quick easy one to do and uses up the leftover brown bananas at the end of the week. I have used frozen bananas in this and it still works well.

I make this in 2 tins to make it stretch further, but one can be used. I have also made it in bun cases and all sort of kids cookware shaped tins. It can be frozen and it also very tasty toasted.

While it is called bread, I would normally eat it without butter but I do use butter rather than marg when making it.

For the observent reader, the recipe calls for cinnamon but I was out of it on the day and used mixed spice. When kids were smaller I would make this without walnuts, doesn't taste as nice but still more than enjoyable.

dry ingredients:

10 ozs/280g self raising flour
    5 ozs/140g of brown sugar
    1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
    4 ozs/110 g walnuts, chopped
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

wet ingredients:

3 beaten eggs
    3 bananas, mashed
    7 ozs/200g melted margarine

method

mix dry ingredients in one bowl
    mix wet ingredients in another bowl
    mix wet mixture and dry mixture together
    put into well greased loaf tin
    bake in a pre-heated oven for 1hr 30 mins

oven temperature:gas mark 4, 350of, 180oc

As stated above I normally make this in 2 tins so cooking time reduces to about 50 minutes, check after 45 but as always depending on oven etc could take upto an hour.

Enjoy

PS it's a very easy one to make with the kids as can be seen from the photos, in my house they love to help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

and a photo of the finished bread

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

Thanks for this. Going to make this tonight

I love banana bread! Definitely going to try this out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

This will be my first Cooking Club recipe! Just one question, can you buy the loaf tin liners in Tesco too?

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭sdp

January wrote: »
    This will be my first Cooking Club recipe! Just one question, can you buy the loaf tin liners in Tesco too?

I get them in shaws, not sure about tesco,

op lovely looking bread, :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭pugwall

Nice recipe. I sometimes add raisins soaked in whiskey for some added punch

I got the tin liners in my local friut and veg shop, have never seen them in tesco or any of the supermarkets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Saw some in Woodies today

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

I made this last night using spelt flour, half white half brown, and an extra banana. It is really lovely. Going to add nuts next time.
    I got those liners in my local €2 type shop. The one with the blue shop sign in Maynooth.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

You'll get them in that shop beside inspiring ideas. They do 1 and 2lb liners ;)

I love banana bread. I must try this!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i just took this out of the oven, not a huge banana bread fan but this is nice. himself is loving it :)

i didnt use tin liner, i just greased the tin with some of the melted butter.

oh i wouldnt leave it in the oven for 1.5 hours the next time, it was a bit burnt on the outside

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Going to follow your recipe for this tomorrow.

I might make a double mixture - and use half for bread and then make a dozen muffins also :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭tampopo

I line the insides of the tin with the cover of 225g margarine. Or a lb of butter wrapper.

I never use eggs though, differing from the above recipe...

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭timbertime

Oh haven't had banana bread since I got back from OZ so was very excited when I saw the recipe pop up! Thanks Fitzcoff.

Just one query, is cinnamon/mixed spice an essential ingredient? I can't stand the taste of it or cloves for that matter!!

timbertime wrote: »
    Oh haven't had banana bread since I got back from OZ so was very excited when I saw the recipe pop up! Thanks Fitzcoff.

Just one query, is cinnamon/mixed spice an essential ingredient? I can't stand the taste of it or cloves for that matter!!

No, not at all. Cinnamon just goes really well in these type of recipes, or any recipe with apple, for example.

I'd put in a teaspoon of vanilla essence also. Nutmeg would also work, again only a small bit (no more than half a teaspoon).

I found a spice pairing list, there are some downright odd combinations, well worth experimenting though: cardamon, cinnamon, coriander, ginger, sesame, vanilla.

I would never have thought of the coriander/cardamon. I wouldn't have thought ginger or banana would work either.

Used this recipe and the first batch is in the oven (I doubled the mixture).

I didn't use a loaf tin - I put them all in muffin cases, it will be a lot easier to freeze and give them as a treat to the kids.

Of to find a new recipe - haven't made enough of a mess yet ;)

Oohh - those were special muffins. Really fluffy and light. This is the best lot I have made, and will be my stock base for all muffins now :)

I put in less brown sugar as I find recipes are generally really sweet. So muffins were perfect sweetness wise.

There is a tad too much walnut - even though I also put in less than recipe asked for. So less again.

Very impressed - your banana bread recipe made me lovely muffins :)

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    I would never have thought of the coriander/cardamon.
    Whatever about coriander, cardamom is a staple ingredient in Danish desserts such as æbleskiver.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Whatever about coriander, cardamom is a staple ingredient in Danish desserts such as æbleskiver.

I have no idea what that is - off to google to see can I make it and how hard it is to make.

I have no idea what that is - off to google to see can I make it and how hard it is to make.
    You need a special pan, but it's worth it. They're all sorts of awesome.

• Advertisement

oscarBravo wrote: »
    You need a special pan, but it's worth it. They're all sorts of awesome.

Do they have to deep fried?

I might try them. Do you happen to have a fool proof recipe for almond cake, the one with shortcrust pastry, and the layer of jam.

I had a slice yesterday and it was beyond awesome:D I might see can I try to make it one of my classics.;)

Do they have to deep fried?
    No, not at all; they're basically little walnut-sized pancakes.

http://goo.gl/t70xu
    Do you happen to have a fool proof recipe for almond cake, the one with shortcrust pastry, and the layer of jam.
    I'm afraid not. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Making this tonight, I'm going to be bold and add in some chocolate chips and have it hot with a scoop of icecream. Its Friday so why not. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

This was lovely, think it's going to be my banana bread reciepe, made it for a cake sale for daffodil day yesterday & compliments all round.

Thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭tampopo

Heya,
    I made your recipie with a couple of modifications. Two not three bananas, two not three eggs. And I was sure I had brown sugar somewhere in the cupboard. But it wasn't till I'd added the white that I found it. Oh well.

I made two tins worth and they looked great after about 40 mins.

Attaching an old pic of a previous attempt, with a little something I saw in Tesco.

And to say, the addition of the eggs was delicious. It was SO soft and fluffy. I had one eaten almost straight away....
    thank you...

tampopo wrote: »
    Heya,
    I made your recipie with a couple of modifications. Two not three bananas, two not three eggs. And I was sure I had brown sugar somewhere in the cupboard. But it wasn't till I'd added the white that I found it. Oh well.

I made two tins worth and they looked great after about 40 mins.

Attaching an old pic of a previous attempt, with a little something I saw in Tesco.

And to say, the addition of the eggs was delicious. It was SO soft and fluffy. I had one eaten almost straight away....
    thank you...

LOL, I'll have to look for the beer the next day I'm in tesco to try it:D

One of my kids just asked me for one of the Walnut Possessed Muffins:D

I was looking very blankly at him for a second or two:confused:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Gonna make these later.

The recipe says 3 bananas. What size bananas? It's just that I have 2 large bananas that are really ripe, and would be perfect to use? Should I just half the ingredients and use 1 and a half bananas?

You'd be grand using the 2 bananas, the recipe I orginally used said 3 bananas but I find with large bananas it is too much, we normally have the kids bananas in the house so I use 3 of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Made this last night. Just halved the recipe and made one loaf in a silicone mould.

7V3v7w.jpg

Really nice, although I reckon it could do with a little bit more cinnamon next time and probably a little longer cooking time. It looked done after 40 mins and a cocktail pressed into the middle came out clean, but the bottom (of the cake, ahem) seems a little wet this morning.

Thanks OP.

Advertisement