Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raspberry PI $25 PC

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

cormie wrote: »
    Really, the WD TV live? Anything else you'd suggest for this so?
    This
    35026900_OVR_620x433.png

is a piece of dirt, it's not able to play stuff properly from local storage. Have tried every firmware, multiple containers and all the uber time consuming tricks off their site and it can still randomly freeze/stop playing stuff mid movie. I'm not alone either. It's the only one of these things I've used so can't recommend one.

Edit:Haven't tried newest firmware, see theirs a new one. Can't be bothered anymore either.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

That's annoying :( By local storage do you mean USB HD etc? Would you sell yours and maybe I could test it out on my HD's/set up with new firmware?

There's also this one which is a good bit more expensive: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00466IEXE/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_i4?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-4&pf_rd_r=1MEX0FTJTTPHE08THD51&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=358549367&pf_rd_i=468294

but I don't need the 1tb as I'd just be connecting the external HD to it so I don't fancy payig extra for the 1tb..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

That's annoying :( By local storage do you mean USB HD etc? Would you sell yours and maybe I could test it out on my HD's/set up with new firmware?

There's also this one which is a good bit more expensive: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00466IEXE/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_i4?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-4&pf_rd_r=1MEX0FTJTTPHE08THD51&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=358549367&pf_rd_i=468294

but I don't need the 1tb as I'd just be connecting the external HD to it so I don't fancy payig extra for the 1tb..
    what about one of these running open elec great for the money and silent
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Arctic-Cooling-MC001-E-DPACO-MC11301-GB/dp/B006WLMVG2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363745521&sr=8-1

Thanks for that, I'm not sure, is that a bit too advanced for what I'm looking for though considering all I want is a hub to connect a hd and projector and speakers too? not knowing anything about these things, I'd be a bit worried buying anything with no amazon reviews :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Really, the WD TV live? Anything else you'd suggest for this so?

I can't comment on the WD Live. I've got the non networked version and it's never given me trouble.

• Advertisement

Thanks mordeith, which is the non networked one? Would it do what I need it for do you think?

Thanks mordeith, which is the non networked one? Would it do what I need it for do you think?

Sorry, should have made that clear. I mean the original version of the WD TV. It has no ethernet connection. It comes with two USB ports for connecting external drives and has HD out. I have a 500 gig WD Passport drive in one and an 8gb generic thumb drive in the other. It has played every file I've tried on it, including DVDs ripped as ISO. Not sure if they can gotten new now as they have been superseeded with the WD TV Live version.
    Having said that I can't see why the Raspberry Pi wouldn't work either. I suppose the only issue would be adjusting the resolution ouput to work with your projector but there are options to do that. Depending on how many drives your were hoping to connect a powered USB hub will drive the Pi and at least 1 external HD (2.5").

Thanks again for the info! I'd only ever be connecting one external HD at a time to the PI so this wouldn't be an issue. How would having something like the PI compare to a WD LIVE box? What would be the pros/cons over the PI?

Thanks again for the info! I'd only ever be connecting one external HD at a time to the PI so this wouldn't be an issue. How would having something like the PI compare to a WD LIVE box? What would be the pros/cons over the PI?

I suppose the biggest drawback to the Pi is you would have to purchase a seperate remote control or wireless keyboard/mouse if you wanted to control it from a couch or something. However you can also just hook a USB mouse/keyboard up to it as well. The benefits of the Pi are that XBMC is a nice interface but only comes into it's own if you have it connected to the web to get the media info from IMDB and you get the film artwork and information. You can also download a YouTube addon which is nice. You could get a Wi-Fi adaptor for it if you couldn't connect it via ethernet cable. I suppose it all comes down to form vs funtion really. Not that the WD interface isn't nice enough as it stands.

Had a look on youtube at some of the RPI setups for media and it seems a bit complicated/messy. I'd like to be able to take the unit with me so I think I might be better off with the WD tv live box? Just not sure if it's going to have problems with my dated projector, especially considering projector native res is only 800/600?

• Advertisement

Just not sure if it's going to have problems with my dated projector, especially considering projector native res is only 800/600?

Sorry, I thought your projector has a HDMI connection for some reason. Out of interest, as you're going to be using composite video connection what are going to do about sound?

I'm not too sure :o

I thought composite could connect to my 3.5 multimedia speakers, no? :o

Here's my current set-up: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83742238&postcount=15

so if I had a Wd Tv live there, would it work do you think?

I'm not too sure :o

I thought composite could connect to my 3.5 multimedia speakers, no? :o

Here's my current set-up: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83742238&postcount=15

so if I had a Wd Tv live there, would it work do you think?

Composite only carries video signal. You would need audio out from the WD TV. Not sure if it supports analog audio out to be honest

EDIT
    If you are looking at this model, is supports RCA so you could buy an RCA to 3.5mm jack adaptor and connect that to your speakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Pi finally arrived today. I have put raspbmc onto a sd card and plugged into the pi and tried to boot but as all the writing loads on the black screen it keeps coming up 'wait 8 seconds for network interface to come up' and does this every 8 secs. I have a Ethernet cable from the LAN in my router going into pi. Is this correct method?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭arodabomb

Pi finally arrived today. I have put raspbmc onto a sd card and plugged into the pi and tried to boot but as all the writing loads on the black screen it keeps coming up 'wait 8 seconds for network interface to come up' and does this every 8 secs. I have a Ethernet cable from the LAN in my router going into pi. Is this correct method?

It could be many things. But your setup sounds good as far as I can see.

I'd redo the install process, things can go wrong, the RPi is a temperamental beast at the best of times. Check your ethernet connection too with another computer maybe, although it sounds to me like the pi is struggling to initialise the network interface due to power issues. What are you powering the Pi with? Maybe try a different usb cable/charger combo. Most Pi issues are due to low power, even from power supplies bought with the Pi.

You might get better solutions if it persists over at http://forum.stmlabs.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=7

The first thing they'll get you do do is check the voltage across TP1 and TP2, its the only real way of checking the Pi has sufficient power. A voltage lower than 4.8/4.85 would explain your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Yes this is normal. The Raspbmc image is not a complete image, it requires a network internet connection and about 40 mins to do a complete install. IIRC there are complete images somewhere on the Raspbmc site, but you'll have to dig for them.

EDIT:- I re-read your post - sorry I picked it up wrong - is you router a DHCP host to assign an IP to the Pi?

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Got it working....it was a dodgy Ethernet cable. I have raspbmc up and running now.:)

A few questions....

1. Can it play 720p and 1080p?

2. Do people here use raspbmc over a wireless network and how do you find the performance vs. a wired connection? I have a wireless adaptor and it seems to stutter the odd time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

1. yes and yes - google for limitations (codecs!)
    2. Most likely it's a cheap wifi dongle problem - test it on a laptop and check number of dropped packages.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭arodabomb

Got it working....it was a dodgy Ethernet cable. I have raspbmc up and running now.:)

A few questions....

1. Can it play 720p and 1080p?

2. Do people here use raspbmc over a wireless network and how do you find the performance vs. a wired connection? I have a wireless adaptor and it seems to stutter the odd time.

1) Yes, although I've seen people complain about large 1080p files (20G)
    Think there might still be a 720p resolution limit, that you have to disable in raspbmc (not sure if you can disble it in xbian/openelec). Not sure as Ionly have a 720p tv so haven't investigated.

2)I don't notice a difference between wifi/ethernet. I've a TP-link wn725n connected to a powered usb hub. You might see those issues with a cheap/bad dongle or if the dongle isn't getting enough power (especially if you've got the dongle connected directly to the pi, ie no powered usb hub).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,088 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Been using the Pi with xbmc for the last week or two and have found it does a great job. Found the install very straight forward, not much to configure, just left it for a while and it downloaded and installed

Mostly been playing standard def videos from shared folder over network. Been using hdmi and composite to old tv. Needed to add line to config line to change from ntsc to pal for the tv. Audio from the 3.5mm to hifi

Keyboard and mouse worked fine for control. Then switched to Android app remote which works perfect too. This usb ir remote works fine too with no extra config http://www.ebay.ie/itm/USB-Windows-Media-Center-Infra-Red-Remote-Control-for-PC-Notebook-Laptop-/310431639273?pt=UK_Computing_Remote_Controls_Pointers&hash=item48472ae6e9

Haven't had any problem playing mp4 and avi files, playback smooth. Video sometimes seems a bit on the dark side, might be something with my setup though

Would be nicer if shutdown was more of one button command

Going to get a usb wifi dongle and try that out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Needed to add line to config line to change from ntsc to pal for the tv

Can you step me through how to do this... as having a problem with just that issue with the second location tv not receiving the composite signal correctly (now i know it sending ntsc signal instead of pal). Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,088 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Access wrote: »
    Can you step me through how to do this... as having a problem with just that issue with the second location tv not receiving the composite signal correctly (now i know it sending ntsc signal instead of pal). Thanks.

add "sdtv_mode=2" to the config.txt file on the sd card
    Composite displays only black and white image
    The composite display defaults to NTSC (American) output. Most TVs will show an image with that, but older PAL (European) televisions may display only back and white or no image. To fix this:
    Edit the configuration file, see the instructions at R-Pi_ConfigurationFile.
    Add the following line to the configuration file
    sdtv_mode=2
    (You can try other values: 0 is NTSC, 1 is Japanese NTSC, 2 is PAL, 3 is Brazilian PAL)
    http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting#Composite_displays_only_black_and_white_image

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭dunworth1

plex has arrived on the pi

http://rasplex.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

I'm not familar with Plex. From a quick look at the site it looks like a DNLA streaming server. Is that correct? Or what other functionality does it offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭dunworth1

matrim wrote: »
    I'm not familar with Plex. From a quick look at the site it looks like a DNLA streaming server. Is that correct? Or what other functionality does it offer?

this probably explains it much better http://wiki.plexapp.com/index.php/PlexNine_PMS_Overview

Thanks for that ghost train... thats exactly the problem i was having... black and white on one of the tvs. now sorted. cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Bored of using your Pi just as a media player? Interested in classic arcade gaming? This this is for you...

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-turn-your-raspberry-pi-into-a-retro-game-console-498561192

Nforce wrote: »
    Bored of using your Pi just as a media player? Interested in classic arcade gaming? This this is for you...

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-turn-your-raspberry-pi-into-a-retro-game-console-498561192

I knew this day would come... i just didn't know when. Roms running on a Pi.

Guess that is my weekend sorted! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭kerryked

Hey,

Just wondering, is there any chance I can setup my RPi without a keyboard?
    My Pi arrived yesterday and I'm itching to set it up but I dont have a USB keyboard :/
    Is there any possible way I could set up the Pi?
    I have a tablet and an iPod Touch if these could help in any way?

Cheers

Advertisement