Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

trouttrout wrote: »
    I don't think Heaslip has been far better than Coughlan this year, but his age is the defining factor there

Just can't agree with that. Coughlan is brilliant, he's a great scavanger and gets his big frame around the park well, but he's not a patch on Heaslip's skill, handling, poaching, tackling etc., etc.

• Administrators Posts: 53,526 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

There is a reason that Heaslip is a guaranteed starter for Ireland...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

awec wrote: »

and also a reason why James Coughlan has never even gotten a cap despite Kidney's willingness to cap Munster player's who are arguably being picked over better performing players from other provinces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

and also a reason why James Coughlan has never even gotten a cap despite Kidney's willingness to cap Munster player's who are arguably being picked over better performing players from other provinces.

you must love Munster :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

awec wrote: »

The IRFU getting the most out of their highest paid player?

• Advertisement

Coughlan is to Heaslip what McLaughlin is to Ferris.

They both play the same position, they both have great games at times, but they're both not capable of anywhere near the rugby that their counterpart is capable of.

Such a silly debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Heaslip has been better by a distance, maybe not more than previous seasons but still a significantly better player.
    .ak wrote: »
    Just can't agree with that. Coughlan is brilliant, he's a great scavanger and gets his big frame around the park well, but he's not a patch on Heaslip's skill, handling, poaching, tackling etc., etc.

I really don't think he has been tbh. They both do very different things for their respective teams so maybe a comparison is futile anyway

I mean obviously Heaslip is a better player, by a good distance too. But I certainly don't think the distance this year has been that great. Coughlan has been fantastic for Munster, probably our best player this season along with Zebo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Think Heaslip has had a very good season outside the 6 Nations. It is an inherent problem with comparing heaslip and Cawlin, the latter doesn't play international rugby. Heaslip is perfectly capable of good international performances (was v good against Italy) but he would probably have been better off missing the 6N reputation wise (Zebo's injury was a blessing in disguise)

trouttrout wrote: »
    I really don't think he has been tbh. They both do very different things for their respective teams so maybe a comparison is futile anyway

I mean obviously Heaslip is a better player, by a good distance too. But I certainly don't think the distance this year has been that great. Coughlan has been fantastic for Munster, probably our best player this season along with Zebo

Apologies, I misread your OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Buer wrote: »
    Heaslip was getting lots of stick from his detractors in 2011 when he signed his contract. He was getting stick from his detractors in 2005 when he burst on the scene. He'll be getting stick from them in 2016 when he's winding down.

I wish every player was as bad as him.

Yep, and the argument shifts non stop. First he didn't do enough work, was a showpony. Then he did too much work, wasn't carrying enough. Has been a class act for Leinster over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Coughlan coming up behind Heaslip will probably do him some good tbh. He really hasn't had competition for his place since he made the position his own. When challenged for their place top level players normally react very well in terms of taking their game up a notch.
    The IRFU getting the most out of their highest paid player?

So you would agree that ROG was getting picked only because he was on a central contract too then, yes? The IRFU need to get the most for their money after all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

If Coughlan had been 5 years ago I imagine he would be sitting on a couple caps by now. But I think the comparison to McL is apt (though I don't think the gap between Coughlan and Heaslip is near as large as the one between McL and Ferris) - he's an incredibly solid player up to HEC level but lacks that bit extra you want for international rugby.

They said that all that was on the line for last Saturday's derby was bragging rights... and they were right. :D

POC after the Quins game.

00073ae9-642.jpg

Healy after the Munster game.

INPHO_00687573.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Ulster have nominated the RDS as their choice of home venue if they make it to the Rabo final.

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/11384.php

I'm pretty surprised they've made the choice this early.

leinsterplayers.gif

Not to mention Seanie

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭JoeyDoh

I thought Heaslip had a great game against Munster at the weekend. Thoroughly outplayed his opposite number imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

With 5/6 games left potentially, and a B and I Cup to fight for too, who have been the standout young players of the season?

For me, Marshall, Murphy, Moore and McGrath have all impressed.

Marshall had some excellent cameos. Great rangy player, highly athletic and hopefully himself and Roux will get gametime next year. Really like the look of him.

Murphy had a really strong breakthrough season. At times, he looked almost Heaslip esque in his carrying, and outplayed more seasoned players like Ryan and Ruddock in a few too.

McGrath is just a star in the making. Really impressed any time i've seen him, and while Moore hasn't been give too much gametime, any time I've seen him, he's look solid, steady in the scrum and has carried and competed on the ground well.

Really would like to see these 4 brought in with regular Rabo gametime next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Ben Marshall is pretty much the same age as Quinn Roux, really disappointed he hasn't been afforded the same opportunity because he has looked good every time he has got a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Whenever O Driscoll smiles he looks like a bold school child which is after doing something but you never find out what it was :p

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

McGrath, Moore, Marshall, Ruddock, Murphy.

That's the backbone of a very good Leinster pack aged 23, 22, 22, 22 and 21. Leinster have strongly focused on developing forwards over the past few years in the academy with a lot of work on the front five in particular and it is now paying dividends. The players above have the potential to form the bulk of a solid HEC pack in 3-4 years if they receive the requisite game time and training.

We'll see the focus shift back towards the backs now in the next 2 years, I think. We can already see the likes of Daly, Byrne and Dardis being tipped for professional careers. If Leinster can supplement these players with decent NIQ players and the likes of Madigan, Fitzgerald, Kearney and McFadden then the squad should be in relatively decent shape.

Several players at Leinster are irreplaceable, make no doubt and success doesn't last forever but measures have been taken to try and ensure we don't encounter any sustained period of being also rans in the foreseeable future.

• Advertisement

Jordi Murphy is the headliner for me. Interestingly his favoured position is 7 but he really emerged at 8 this year.

McGrath and Marshall have shown enough to suggest they will be good Leinster players.

Moore has had less opportunities but he has impressed so far.

Most disappointing thing for me was how many guys really had their progress stalled by injury: Ruddock, Ryan, O'Malley, and Kearney.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Most disappointing thing for me was how many guys really had their progress stalled by injury: Ruddock, Ryan, O'Malley, and Kearney.

I wouldn't include Ruddock in that. He was out for the first few months due to surgery over the summer on a hip injury he had been carrying for some time. Once he came back he gradually found form and has been showing real signs of quality. He has 13 appearances for Leinster since November. His work at the breakdown in terms of clearing out and power in the tight is fantastic for a guy that turned 22 last November.

I think he has shown enough this season to have Kevin McLaughlin very nervous for next season.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

They said that all that was on the line for last Saturday's derby was bragging rights... and they were right. :D

POC after the Quins game.

Healy after the Munster game.

Did anyone else see Cullen at the full time whistle? I'm pretty sure he was doing the exact same thing. Taking the piss out of POC? haha

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

I think there's a spot on the back row up for grabs alongside Heaslip and SOB next season.

Ryan Ruddock and now Murphy fighting for it IMO.

Locky seems to be fading a bit, maybe it was his injury.

A backrow of Murphy, SOB and Heaslip would mean all 3 can play all positions competently. That's very handy meaning you can put basically whoever on 20 without thinking of cover.

However, none of them are even close to what Locky provides in the tight. He's an absolute nightmare to play against I bet, his clear outs are a thing of beauty. He's at every ruck ensuring quick ball or protected ball, and he wrestles like a crocodile with anyone who tries to poach. Add to that his skill in the air and he's generally as safe as bricks you've got yourself a very useful squad player. Murphy/Ryan, SOB, Heaslip would be a dynamic back row allright, but I wouldn't trust any of them - apart from Heaslip - to get their hands dirty with the breakdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

A backrow of Murphy, SOB and Heaslip would mean all 3 can play all positions competently. That's very handy meaning you can put basically whoever on 20 without thinking of cover.

However, none of them are even close to what Locky provides in the tight. He's an absolute nightmare to play against I bet, his clear outs are a thing of beauty. He's at every ruck ensuring quick ball or protected ball, and he wrestles like a crocodile with anyone who tries to poach. Add to that his skill in the air and he's generally as safe as bricks you've got yourself a very useful squad player. Murphy/Ryan, SOB, Heaslip would be a dynamic back row allright, but I wouldn't trust any of them - apart from Heaslip - to get their hands dirty with the breakdown.

I think a backrow of Murphy, SOB and Heaslip would be a nightmare at the breakdown to face and they're all decent ball carriers to boot, SOB showed against Australia and NZ that he's a top class 7 and Heaslip can spoil possession too, Murphy also looked good at 7 versus Cardiff in the RDS. Completely agree with you about Locky being hugely important in the lineouts and generating quick ball for the others to do more carrying. He's criminally underrated at times around here.

Murphy's progress next season is going to be very exciting to watch as he's had some great games this season and you can see aspects of SOB and Heaslip in his play. With Jennings, Ruddock and Ryan competing there too it's a nice predicament over who gets game time. It's not a stretch to say that Leinster probably have the 2nd best backrow strength and depth in Europe after Toulon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

I'd go with McGrath, Murphy's really caught the eye by times but McGraths just been incredibly solid and consistent in a position you expect a young player to struggle in, not to mention he seems to have forced himself ahead of a Springbok international.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

ktulu123 wrote: »
    Did anyone else see Cullen at the full time whistle? I'm pretty sure he was doing the exact same thing. Taking the piss out of POC? haha

haha, saw that too. The footage doesn't catch it well, but it seems like a few Leinster players did it at the final whistle. I think they were all taking the piss out of POC / Munster to be honest! (only confirmed by Healy doing it at training and BOD & co pissing themselves laughing at it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

[Jackass] wrote: »
    haha, saw that too. The footage doesn't catch it well, but it seems like a few Leinster players did it at the final whistle. I think they were all taking the piss out of POC / Munster to be honest! (only confirmed by Healy doing it at training and BOD & co pissing themselves laughing at it)

Not a patch on the great man tho. All these leinster players looking up to o'connell

• Advertisement

Not a patch on the great man tho. All these leinster players looking up to o'connell

except for Devin Toner, towering over him

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement