Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC One [Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 252 ✭✭viclemronny

Kenno90 wrote: »
    That 49.00 Euro deal will be extended for another few weeks and the S4 will most likely be added to it (from what i hear )

Where are you hearing this from? Sure there's a bit of time to wait and see anyway, just curious where you heard it form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

that 50e meteor contract is 24 months? Or is that a different offer you guys are on about

beno619 wrote: »
    Its still very early days, once the phone is more widely available the development activity will pick up. Android revolution HD would be the most popular coming from a One X owner, like you said differences will be few and faw between at this stage.

Have never understood the popularity of RevolutionHD. I know Mike is a great dev, but the ROMs are just basically stock ROMs. I prefer something with bells and whistles built in.

I'm currently on TrickDroid, there's a few good features built in, and good themes/tweaks available.

There's definitely a few more devs due to come to the One, and I know some of them are trying to get their hands on the developer edition. I've also been trying to talk the creator of Team Venom / ViperX into coming out of retirement, but no such luck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Blinked_Missed It

Check this out. The HTC One is scratch-proof. Can anyone confirm (without trying to destroy your phone) if the silver one exhibits these properties or is it just the black one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EWqPpYVE08

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Check this out. The HTC One is scratch-proof. Can anyone confirm (without trying to destroy your phone) if the silver one exhibits these properties or is it just the black one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EWqPpYVE08

That's gorilla glass for ya. Won't scratch when you try to. Only when you don't want it to :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

MOH wrote: »
    It's a micro sim alright, 32GB, no removable memory, battery not removable.

Forgot to mention, it's on Meteor Billpay, but there's no sign of any Meteor branding on it.
    I presume it's network locked, though I don't have another micro SIM to test this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

That's gorilla glass for ya. Won't scratch when you try to. Only when you don't want it to :-)

I was going to say this test is like the "Oakley glass is bullet proof" and watch the Americans test with a 12 gauge followed by tears.

Idleater wrote: »
    I was going to say this test is like the "Oakley glass is bullet proof" and watch the Americans test with a 12 gauge followed by tears.

Ah no. I have done that myself many times. I tried scratching it with coins, forks knifes and cardboard knives and stones and never managed to.

Then again I have about 5 scratches on my Note 2 and I'm generally not the one that keeps his phone with keys and coins in the same pocket. Pretty much same thing with any other phone I owned.

Look closely at the video. Thats not the front glass he's scratching, its the back aluminum (camera lens is at the top of the shot)

Look closely at the video. Thats not the front glass he's scratching, its the back aluminum (camera lens is at the top of the shot)

Mistook that. Was watching that outside. Not bad in that sense.

• Advertisement

Mistook that. Was watching that outside. Not bad in that sense.

Cool. Some of the commenter's state Cnet got it wrong (surprise, they're idiots) in stating the black one is painted where its really anodized. I'm getting the impression HTC are changing the construction even after the initial launch. Its been shown that HTC One's are coming with different screens with differing brightness and contrast. Its good that they are trying to improve but a bit disconcerting that its a lottery which batch or components you may find in your purchase so you can't trust the reviews.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Zascar wrote: »

I've long believed Cnet to not only be incompetent but a pay-to-promote organisation for whoever can write the biggest cheque and that article does nothing to change that stance. This is same group who in the US only did an unboxing of the One last week and who stated the black was painted rather than anodized. In other words they never had a HTC One but were told what to say. This line says it all from the above article

"It'll be a real shame if production delays prevent the One from fulfilling its potential, because it's a more than decent phone, if lacking that certain sparkle".

CNet please collect your brown envelope from the lobby.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Do you think the same of the Wall Street Journal? Or Tech Crunch or even The Next Web?

I'm not hating on HTC, my last 3 phones have been HTC but the numbers don't lie... And it will all weigh in on my decision between this and the S4...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

MOH wrote: »
    Forgot to mention, it's on Meteor Billpay, but there's no sign of any Meteor branding on it.
    I presume it's network locked, though I don't have another micro SIM to test this.

Did you buy it in meteor or Carphone Warehouse?

I was told today they are all factory locked but if there is no branding I assume it wouldn't be.

I got my One X from Carphone Warehouse last year, was told it was locked but it wasn't. Hoping for the same with the One.

Zascar wrote: »
    Do you think the same of the Wall Street Journal? Or Tech Crunch or even The Next Web?

I'm not hating on HTC, my last 3 phones have been HTC but the numbers don't lie... And it will all weigh in on my decision between this and the S4...

I know your not hating on HTC, I'm not attacking you and I don't see those mentioned as being in the same brown envelope ballpark as Cnet. Its clear HTC are in financial trouble, its well known it also makes sense for people who are buying their product to consider it (in terms or warranties, quality, service etc) but Cnet are no more honest in terms of journalism than Bertie is as a politician. I'm an Apple user primarily (Sony laptops though), I'm no HTC or Apple fanboy or Samsung hater. I've no interest in it. My attitude is you should always have the same level of loyalty to a multinational company it has to you, i.e none.

Cnet coverage has a shadowy backdrop of corporate influence (owned by CBS) where advertising revenue streams influenced decisions and opinions and Samsung are a major revenue stream for them. See the recent Hopper controversy which pretty much shows how Cnet is just a puppet for their executive board. I want to hear criticism of the One as I'm about to drop over 500 euro on it which is a big sum for me & I can't afford to buy a dud but cnet are biased and their snide and unnecessary commentary on products which don't emanate from companies with preferred status shows. In their US unboxing they mentioned nothing about the rationale for the 4MP camera, just that it was 4MP. No other 'professional' site has done that.

I'm more concerned whether HTC can be consistent in production QA for the One as the evidence of component differences showing up around the world sounds like are having supply issues above that of the camera or unibody parts and that inevitably leads to rushed and uncontrolled quality standards which Samsung just don't face. See here for the differing screens issue

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2202869

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Aaaaagh, let phone die last night to give it a good charge and now there's nothing, nada. No lights coming on to show charging, no reaction to button press. I've tried two HTC chargers, double-checked them with my old DHD and checked the sockets. I've googled this and I can't find anyone else with this problem - did I get a dud or am I missing something obvious?

Aaaaagh, let phone die last night to give it a good charge and now there's nothing, nada. No lights coming on to show charging, no reaction to button press. I've tried two HTC chargers, double-checked them with my old DHD and checked the sockets. I've googled this and I can't find anyone else with this problem - did I get a dud or am I missing something obvious?

I did that with my One X last year when I first got it. Just plug it in and leave it, it will eventually charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

tok9 wrote: »
    Did you buy it in meteor or Carphone Warehouse?

I was told today they are all factory locked but if there is no branding I assume it wouldn't be.

I got my One X from Carphone Warehouse last year, was told it was locked but it wasn't. Hoping for the same with the One.

Bought it online from Meteor start of last week.

Had an unbranded Desire HD before that from Vodafone which I assumed all along was network locked, was only when I contacted them for the unlock code that I found it wasn't. If I find someone I know on another network with a micro SIM I'll try it.

Trialled power save mode today, think I'll keep using it in future. Didn't notice any drop in performance for what I normally do.

• Advertisement

Basil3 wrote: »
    I did that with my One X last year when I first got it. Just plug it in and leave it, it will eventually charge.

Thanks, but how long is eventually? It was in for 3 or 4 hours last night and not a meg. Is the lack of a light not a bad sign? Have it plugged in again now. If there's nothing in the morning, it's going back to VF shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭ofcork

Its finally up on o2.ie and i have no upgrade til october:(

Thanks, but how long is eventually? It was in for 3 or 4 hours last night and not a meg. Is the lack of a light not a bad sign? Have it plugged in again now. If there's nothing in the morning, it's going back to VF shop.

Hmm. The light came on for me after about 15-20 mins. Did you say you've tried holding power button to force a reset?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭motownman

You can indeed, several in fact, up to around 80 megs each. 80 megs will get you nearly all of Dublin or most counties, with plenty of overlap. Dead simple, just make a rectangle and save, and of course it's free over wifi.

HTC's Locations is a horrible app in comparison.

Also look for a small app called - I think, on tablet atm - Map Chooser, which allows you to default clicks to Google Maps.

Brilliant! Did not know you could do that. Am I right assume that, with the maps downloaded, the navigation will always look there first?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Checked my HTC One on emobile this evening. I can confirm that they are unlocked (for the moment anyway!). Not sure if that has been posted yet.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 252 ✭✭viclemronny

If a phone comes unbranded, does that imply that any updates to Android, say Key Lime Pie, will be available immediately after HTC have done their bit and we won't have to wait for networks to put their nonsense on too?

Basil3 wrote: »
    Hmm. The light came on for me after about 15-20 mins. Did you say you've tried holding power button to force a reset?

Yep, tried that too. No lights at all. Back to the shop with this baby and just as I was getting used to it too. I hope there's no mental delay with fixing/replacing it.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jdeez

Anyone bought one prepay off three.ie? I was wondering if it was locked to that network and if there's any bloatware on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

Anyone know when carphone warehouse are getting it ??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Jesus Christ

cooperguy wrote: »
    Checked my HTC One on emobile this evening. I can confirm that they are unlocked (for the moment anyway!). Not sure if that has been posted yet.

Didn't you buy your One from eMobile? What network did you check it on?

Advertisement