Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maggie Thatcher dead - Mega merge thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Commiserations for having no sense of humour.

Boyle stopped being funny about 5 years ago. he's nothing more than a parody of himself now. Outrageous for the sake of it, rehashing jokes others have been making for years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Three Seasons

Nodin wrote: »
    You're taking the piss. Propping up Apartheid, the anti-gay laws, taking sanctions off pinochet, cheer leader for Reagan

I didn't read any of that. Must do so and proceed to give my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Anynama141 wrote: »
    Presumably if they thought it was possible, they would have tried it. Unless you think she just did evil for the sake of it, I suppose.........

She didn't believe it was the states job to soften the blow. If you read a few quotes, you'll get the notion fairly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I heard she's only arrived in hell and already shut down 4 furnaces!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

RIP to a great woman, always admired her. Her policies might be questionable sometimes but she did a lot for women in politics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

I would have a certain sympathy for her as a leader. Things were ****ed up in Britain and Ireland at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Anynama141

Plug wrote: »
    Thatchers been in Hell for 25 minutes and already shut 3 furnaces.
    murpho999 wrote: »
    I heard she's only arrived in hell and already shut down 4 furnaces!

It looks like she's slowing down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

If its possible to ram through a shutdown with little thought to the medium and long term, why isn't it possible to ram through a phased closure that would at least have the support of some or most of the workforce?

You obviously were not alive then or living in England. Most of the "old" industries have all dissapeared in the western world, especially with low cost imports from countries where people work for much less the unions would allow here. Like it or not, thats the way of the world. I bet most of the clothes you are wearing / consumer goods in your house etc were all made in low cost countries like China etc.

Did you check the emigration statistics from Ireland to England during the 3 terms she was in power? No ? Though you would not. Hundreds of thousands of Irish got good jobs in England : that fact escapes you. She treated them better than the government here treated them. Close to the bone and an uncomfortable truth, is it for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭GoodisonPark

Hell will spit her back out any minute now.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

true wrote: »
    You obviously were not alive then or living in England. Most of the "old" industries have all dissapeared in the western world, especially with low cost imports from countries where people work for much less the unions would allow here. Like it or not, thats the way of the world. I bet most of the clothes you are wearing / consumer goods in your house etc were all made in low cost countries like China etc.

Did you check the emigration statistics from Ireland to England during the 3 terms she was in power? No ? Though you would not. Hundreds of thousands of Irish got good jobs in England : that fact escapes you. She treated them better than the government here treated them. Close to the bone and an uncomfortable truth, is it for you?

I know of ten Irish men she didn't treat very well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

I'm pretty sure it is. Check out the Geneva and Hague Conventions.
    I have.

A spy is defined as an intelligence operative, not an armed combatant, and is still subject to article 4 (Prisoner of War).
    Article 29 -- "A person can only be considered a spy when, acting clandestinely or on false pretences, he obtains or endeavours to obtain information in the zone of operations of a belligerent with the intention of communicating it to the hostile party."

The definition of a spy given in this Article remains completely valid since the Geneva Convention contains no similar provision. However, a spy is also a protected person in so far as he conforms to the definition given in Article 4 of the Fourth Convention. Under Article 5 of the Convention, the spy may nevertheless be deprived temporarily of certain rights, particularly the right of communication.

Article 30 -- "A spy taken in the act shall not be punished without previous trial."

The Convention contains several provisions in this respect which extend the principle and make it precise. Thus Article 3 prohibits "the passing of sentences and the carrying out of executions without previous judgment pronounced by a regularly constituted court, affording all the judicial guarantees which are recognized as indispensable by civilized peoples".
    Article 3 , although it applies only to armed conflicts not of an international character, contains rules of absolutely general application. The prohibition mentioned is, moreover, confirmed by Article 5 and Articles 64 -76.
    [p.617] It should also be noted that paragraph 2 of Article 68 authorizes the Occupying Power under certain conditions to inflict the death penalty on protected persons found guilty of espionage.

- Source

I think you've been watching too many movies.

Hey, I'm opposed to all war. But the Shinners/IRA were in favour of the war, so why don't they condone the shootings of the spies? :confused:
    How would I know?
    You can't say that no-warning bombs are ok because it's war and then say that shootings of spies are wrong at the same time, can you?
    I'm not saying that, but you seem to be saying "bombings are bad, executions are ok".

Either it's a war and both are acceptable or it's not and neither are.

You obviously were not alive then?

Me? No. Born yesterday.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83937327&postcount=576

Thats the lad, keep sayin it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Garzard

The Iron Lady is no more!

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    Was this her, or was it particular British police forces and some of the judiciary?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

She offered them free food and they did not take it. Thats democracy for you. Rather her in power elected by tens of millions rather than those 10 murderers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

HondaSami wrote: »
    RIP to a great woman, always admired her. Her policies might be questionable sometimes but she did a lot for women in politics.

As in she was one?

She hardly did too much to enhance the status of women in politics once she got the chance to enforce change, now did she?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Its her grandsons Harry and William I feel sorry for but still, they must be proud of all the oscars she won.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

look, the out b**h is dead - thats the end of her

and let's look at the positives in all this - her grave will never need watering. :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

Anyone else stumped what the b**h curse word above is?:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Me? No. Born yesterday.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83937327&postcount=576

Thats the lad, keep sayin it.

To be fair, the UK was on its knees in the late 70s and an exporter of talent and people. The 'brain drain'. Teenagers in the late 70s in the UK were quite similar to teenagers in Ireland in days gone by (and even nowadays) - with most of them thinking where else can i go to make a good life for myself.

By hook or by crook, she turned that around to the extent the UK were keeping their talent by the mid 90s and actually attracting talent to the country to work. That's quite a big turnaround. And it certainly was not going to be achieved by Ted Heath and the old boys club doing the same old, same old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭kinkygirl

The lady had more balls than any of those who came after her.
    Love or loathe her, she has set the world talking today.
    RIP Maggie, enjoy your G&T tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

kinkygirl wrote: »

ya, her ears must be burning .....and the rest. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

jimjamcos wrote: »
    As in she was one?

She hardly did too much to enhance the status of women in politics once she got the chance to enforce change, now did she?

Merely being a woman is enough to do a lot of good.

Showing it's possible to achieve anything regardless of your sex. With enough determination you can get to the top of the tree in your profession, whatever your gender. That's a good message.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

kinkygirl wrote: »

And yet again it's for the wrong reasons.

Seachmall wrote: »
    I have.

A spy is defined as an intelligence operative, not an armed combatant, and is still subject to article 4 (Prisoner of War).

- Source

I think you've been watching too many movies.

If you read the top of your link, you will see where you went wrong:
    Convention (IV) relative to the Protection of Civilian Persons in Time of War. Geneva, 12 August 1949.
    According to SF/IRA, they were soldiers in a war, not civilians. And besides, what were they doing if not gathering information on the site of their planned bomb massacre?
    Seachmall wrote: »

I'm not saying that, but you seem to be saying "bombings are bad, executions are ok".

Either it's a war and both are acceptable or it's not and neither are.
    Exactly. And SF/IRA say/said it was a war. So why are they bellyaching about this? (if indeed they are: it may just be a couple of ill-informed forum posters)

jimjamcos wrote: »
    As in she was one?

I have to laugh at all the known Shinners thanking that post!! :pac:

Like it was her inaction on this issue that has really blotted her copybook as far as they are concerned... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

She offered them free food and they did not take it. Thats democracy for you. Rather her in power elected by tens of millions rather than those 10 murderers.

Rosemary Nelson and Pat Finucane believed in Democracy look what happened to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Annabella1

The word I heard on the radio to describe her was 'binary'
    She gave answers straight - yes or no
    This didn't work in N Ireland on many levels and I don't think she ever understood the complexity.
    In one way,I think this country currently needs a leader like her

Rosemary Nelson and Pat Finucane believed in Democracy look what happened to them.
    I think Pat Finucane also believed in war.

• Advertisement

I have to laugh at all the known Shinners thanking that post!! :pac:

Like it was her inaction on this issue that has really blotted her copybook as far as they are concerned... ;)

...dear me, what a massive knowledge of posters political beliefs you have.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement