Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maggie Thatcher dead - Mega merge thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Hearing some cars beeping in Dublin city centre...surely not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Anynama141

kingtiger wrote: »
    stupid comment
    To be fair, this one wasn't too clever either.
    Ding Dong

the witch is dead

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

summerskin wrote: »
    you mean the son who tried to part of an illegal military coup in Africa? or the attention seeking daughter who was on i'm a Celeb?

sorry, no respect for either of them.
    My appeal to your humanity to respect the dead has fallen on deaf ears I see. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Condolences to Mark and Carol Thatcher

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

This was a democratically elected leader with a mandate serving the interests of her nation as she saw fit. Her mandate was not to tip-toe around Argentina, Ireland and anyone else she pissed off. She may have been a divisive figure in her own country but it's worth remembering she was re-elected twice and served 3 terms as Prime Minister.

On an Irish level if we can welcome the Queen to Dublin, given there is no higher representation of Britishness, then surely the vitriol and hate towards Maggie is of another age.

We've moved on. This woman has now moved on. Surely anybody harbouring resentment can best show that by indifference to her passing. She's dead, may she rest in peace.

Its not just an anti British thing, the woman was anti working class as well. She destroyed many working class industries throughout the UK, and never replaced them...citys,towns and communities are still feeling the affects of her policies.

• Advertisement

stupid comment
    Not stupid just sad, wishing to see the death of another person because they disagree with you is, well bizarre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Anynama141 wrote: »
    Context is probably an issue here too - remember that football hooliganism was absolutely killing football in the 70s and 80s. The problem was more or less fixed by the 90s.

What started out as an attempt to combat the football casuals culture became a general campaign against the traditional demographic of football support: ID card schemes, over-zealous police, etc.

And it didn't end (and never will) in the 90s: just left the grounds.

Nobody that went to games in the 80s remembers the games 'being killed'. It was just different to now.

And her endorsing of the lies of the tabloids and South Yorkshire Police re: Hillsborough was disgusting.

Anyone wrote: »
    Its not just an anti British thing, the woman was anti working class as well. She destroyed many working class industries throughout the UK, and never replaced them...citys,towns and communities are still feeling the affects of her policies.
    Do you understand why that was necessary? Do you think she did it for fun?

If you want a better picture of the woman (and even insights into our own economic mess), you should look into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

She was a socially and economically divisive politician. She didn't rise all boats she created a upper middle class that celebrate her and no one else

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

There'll be a lot of celebration around the UK today, particularly up here.
    I think it's immature to gloat over anyone's death, but the sycophantic fawning over her on the news at the moment is just as sickening, completely ignoring the fact that a huge number of people won't miss her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    My appeal to your humanity to respect the dead has fallen on deaf ears I see. :rolleyes:

Respect the dead? I do. I respect the miners, steelworkers and mill workers that lost their livelihoods and in many cases their lives(the rise in suicides in northern england and the welsh valleys was huge) as a result of her London-centric economic policies.

I grew up in Thatcher's England, in the north west. I saw first hand what she did to my home town and surrounding areas.

I will be taking the day off work tomorrow, as i have always said i would. Not to rejoice in her death, but to mourn for those who were destroyed by her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I can't think of anybody whose death can divide After Hours to this degree.
    Personally, I'm sad that she's dead - but she was no friend to Ireland and left Britain a fractured, disjointed society that can only celebrate its culture if it's marketed back to them in the context of a reality TV show.
    Still. I'm looking forward to revisiting the news broadcasts of my childhood. 'Out, out, out,' anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

The mere state of being dead does not warrant respect.

How people feel about her should not have changed over the last hour or two. The part she played in history, for better or worse, is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Maggie Thatcher died of a stroke.....of luck

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭thecommietommy

This was a democratically elected leader with a mandate serving the interests of her nation as she saw fit. Her mandate was not to tip-toe around Argentina, Ireland and anyone else she pissed off. She may have been a divisive figure in her own country but it's worth remembering she was re-elected twice and served 3 terms as Prime Minister.

On an Irish level if we can welcome the Queen to Dublin, given there is no higher representation of Britishness, then surely the vitriol and hate towards Maggie is of another age.

We've moved on. This woman has now moved on. Surely anybody harbouring resentment can best show that by indifference to her passing. She's dead, may she rest in peace.
    So who did the great Snatcher defeat ? Working class strikers, regain two tiny craggy islands in the south Atlantic ( which they had been thinking of getting rid of beforehand), boss Sir Garret Fitzgerald around :D

FFS, we're not talking about Napoleon or something :rolleyes:

anncoates wrote: »
    What started out as an attempt to combat the football casuals culture became a general campaign against the traditional demographic of football support: ID card schemes, over-zealous police, etc.

And it didn't end (and never will) in the 90s: just left the grounds.
    Are there still mass scraps between football firms? I have only heard of a couple of incidents in the last decade. It used to be weekly.
    anncoates wrote: »
    And her endorsing of the lies of the tabloids and South Yorkshire Police was disgusting.
    Indeed, although presumably she wasn't being told the truth herself.

She did much wrong - there's no fear of anyone forgetting that. My point is that she did much right too, and that is overlooked in order to create a cartoon hate figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Delicious irony that Thatcher is getting a funeral provided by the state.
    A state funeral for Mrs T would basically be one titanic piece of trolling.

Now reading it will not be a state funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

agree and i don't feel any difference towards her today as i did yesterday,no respect for the women dead or alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

What had Maggie Thatcher and Jimmy Saville got in common?
    They both fúcked minors in the 80's (boom-tish!)

Meh, good riddance to both of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

efb wrote: »
    She was a socially and economically divisive politician. She didn't rise all boats she created a upper middle class that celebrate her and no one else

Perfectly put.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,253 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

A touching tribute from Gerry Adams:

"Working class communities were devastated in Britain because of her policies.

"Her role in international affairs was equally belligerent whether in support of the Chilean dictator Pinochet, her opposition to sanctions against apartheid South Africa; and her support for the Khmer Rouge.

"Here in Ireland her espousal of old draconian militaristic policies prolonged the war and caused great suffering. She embraced censorship, collusion and the killing of citizens by covert operations, including the targeting of solicitors like Pat Finucane, alongside more open military operations and refused to recognise the rights of citizens to vote for parties of their choice.

"Her failed efforts to criminalise the republican struggle and the political prisoners is part of her legacy.

"It should be noted that in complete contradiction of her public posturing, she authorised a back channel of communications with the Sinn Féin leadership but failed to act on the logic of this.

"Unfortunately she was faced with weak Irish governments who failed to oppose her securocrat agenda or to enlist international support in defence of citizens in the north.

"Margaret Thatcher will be especially remembered for her shameful role during the epic hunger strikes of 1980 and 81.

"Her Irish policy failed miserably."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭thecommietommy

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Condolences to Mark and Carol Thatcher
    Hope they join the old c**t soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Thatchers been in Hell for 25 minutes and already shut 3 furnaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Anynama141 wrote: »
    To be fair, this one wasn't too clever either.

well I was living in the UK in the late 80ies

so I have been waiting many years to say it

in fact I have been humming it to myself here for the last hour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Do the dead automatically gain respect from you just by dying then? I don't think any less of her now that she's dead than I did while she was alive. The fact of her passing should not alter that, unless you want to get into some quasi-mystical 'oh she could be listening to us from hell' type superstition.

She's dead. That changes nothing about how she acted in life, or how she should be thought of.

So who did the great Snatcher defeat ? Working class strikers, regain two tiny craggy islands in the south Atlantic ( which they had been thinking of getting rid of beforehand), boss Sir Garret Fitzgerald around :D

FFS, we're not talking about Napoleon or something :rolleyes:

That would be the Garret Fitzgerald who first won a say for the Republic in the affairs of Northern Ireland, and established that principle for future negotiations on the North?

Yeah, she sure put one over on him...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

This anti-working class thing is obviously true to an extent but it should never be forgotten that she was the one who allowed, encouraged and oversaw over a million families in the UK buying their own council houses. Of course she is hated and vilified in cities like Liverpool, Sheffield etc but even the current Labour leadership recognise she did a lot of good for the working class in the 1980s.

The concept that a working class family can work hard and buy their own home is something to be admired and that sort of aspirational attitude would do our own country a world of good right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

summerskin wrote: »
    wonder if any of the riflemen would be cross-eyed?

Gerry is fairly resistant to bullets, thank god.

Seachmall wrote: »
    The mere state of being dead does not warrant respect.

How people feel about her should not have changed over the last hour or two. The part she played in history, for better or worse, is the same.
    Emm, yes it does. Decent human beings do not speak ill of the dead. There is a reason that taboo is passed into our culture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Gift of the Gabbert

There's a lot of reasons to hate the bitch apart from her stance on Ireland.Calling Mandela and the ANC "terrorists",protecting Pinochet etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement