Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuff happened longer ago then you think...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭MickFleetwood

1ZRed wrote: »
    I remember the first jak and daxter

Worse still I remember playing crash bandicoot when I was young which is 16 years old! That's nearly legal for sex! :eek:

Jak and Daxter, what a game! Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, Crash Bandicoot and Spyro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭MickFleetwood

I know this is fairly recent, but I'll put it out there anyway because it genuinely shocked me.

In just a few days, Grand Theft Auto IV will have been released five years ago. Jesus, doesn't seem that long at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

(To continue on with the turtles references :p )

I remember seeing the first teenage mutant ninja turtles movie in the Savoy Cinema as a kid. I always remember two things :P .... first coming out of the cinema and feeling it was cool because it was night time (It was one of the first times I was out at night lol) But the second is that some guy was selling turtles movie posters outside...

Times have changed indeed. If I was to camp outside the Savoy these days selling posters I would be quickly moved on by the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Derpington95

Jak and Daxter, what a game! Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, Crash Bandicoot and Spyro.

Oh the nostalgia.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    Jordan Grand Prix won their first F1 race 15 years ago this August.

That seems completely wrong to me, my son will be 15 soon, I was sure Jordan winning was 95/96.

Ireland gave women the right to vote 91 years ago, the UK 6 years later.New Zealand was the first 120 years ago. 18 year old men were allowed to vote 95 years ago, it was 30 years or over before that. Major advancement was made in that period for universal suffrage.

Meanwhile, Northern Ireland went against the grain and re-inforced discrimination up until 40 years ago. You couldn't vote in local elections unless you owned a property, systemic religious discrimination, because who was far more likely to own property? Along with strategic re-drawings of Westminster boundaries if things got too close.

Owning a property gave you a vote and Catholics had a tiny chance of owning one.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Street Fighter 2 is 22 years old.

I remember you couldn't play those games in the arcades because of the massive queues and 20p coins lined along the screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

They were all hot though.

On the face of it...

they all looked the same, but it was fairly obvious Donatello had the longest pole... should this necaserrily interest a girl? No, so why me. Envy? Fascination. Seeing him wield it, with authority maybe...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

"The Wizard of Oz" is 74 years old this year

"Dirty Dancing" is 26 years old

"Shawshank Redemption" is 19 years old

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

K-9 wrote: »
    Ireland gave women the right to vote 91 years ago, the UK 6 years later.New Zealand was the first 120 years ago. 18 year old men were allowed to vote 95 years ago, it was 30 years or over before that. Major advancement was made in that period for universal suffrage.

Switzerland gave women the vote only 42 years ago! :eek::mad:

That seems completely wrong to me, my son will be 15 soon, I was sure Jordan winning was 95/96.

Hill was gifted their first win, Spa 98.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0pfw5MWbSw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭calanus

Owning a property gave you a vote and Catholics had a tiny chance of owning one.

Nope, The first win for Jordan was a 1-2 in the famous 1998 Belgian grand prix at Spa. You know the one where the first start resulted in this v

• Registered Users Posts: 18,094 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Who Framed Rodger Rabbit is 25 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,355 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The first series of Glenroe was 30 years ago this year.

We all knew when it was starting that it was time to get the aul schoolbag ready for the dreaded monday morning:(

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Damn you OP. I was happy living in my cocoon.. Why did you have to drill home the fact & encourage examples of how old i am . Was happy thinking in still in my 20's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

In my day we had proper wrestlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    14 years since Californication came out?

Wow!

Is it still sh*t?
    It was never sh*t. An instant classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Bart Simpson is 33 (aged ten for 23 years).

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭anna.fun

14 years since the first american pie movie...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Three Seasons

DazMarz wrote: »
    Kids born in the year 2000 are either already in secondary school or will be going there this year... I remember my first day in secondary school... in the year 2000. Dear jesus.

The Matrix is 14 years old.

Terminator 2: Judgement Day is 22 years old (and still looks kick-ass to this day)

and other things that just remind me of how quickly time is marching on, and "recent" things are actually from a generation or two ago...

How long is a generation?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

anna.fun wrote: »
    14 years since the first american pie movie...

I saw the first American Pie movie when I was a teenager and that was a lot longer than 14 years ago, more like 34 years.....

Edit: Can't find any online reference to earlier Pie films. Scratching head here wondering if I was imagining it!!!!

Edit II: Found it. I was American Graffiti I was thinking of. Now I can't delete post. Sorry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

In my mind a "00" registration car is nearly new

not 13 years old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Remember, entering the year 2,000, a lot of publicans were charging 10 to 20 pounds to get in to their premises on New Years Eve.
    In other words, wanting your money before you went in to spend more of your money.
    That was the night they sowed the seeds of their own destruction, and fcuk them!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Maybe it's me now, but a lot of these media things seem like they were only yesterday because 1) much of the stuff is endlessly repeated, which didn't happen nearly so much 20 or 30 years ago so it seems more current and 2) a lot of the stuff that makes things look "older", fashion etc hasn't changed nearly as radically as in previous decades.

Take the series Friends as a good example of the above. Again it's endlessly repeated so is still "current" in our heads and while the very first series has something of an aged look to it, it's as much down to the video quality and look, fashion/style wise not that different to today and it's just about two decades old. Later series look even less "old". The last episode was ten tears ago and could have been shot yesterday.

Now imagine if this was say 1973, if we were watching a sitcom from 1953 it would look like a different universe. If it was 1983 imagine watching a 1963 sitcom, again it would look very "old". Hell watch a 1983 sitcom in 2003 and it looked old. The pace of change in tech has been very large with PC's and smartphones etc, but general fashion and the look of things hasn't to nearly the same degree as in previous decades.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

It's been 20.5 years since nirvana's nevermind. If you go back 20 years from then 1992 you get this sort of thing!!
    http://www.bobborst.com/popculture/number-one-songs-by-year/?y=1972&chart=uk

• Registered Users Posts: 10,256 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

"Who loves orange soda? Kel loves orange soda. Is it true? Mm-hmm! I do, I do ,I do, I do, I do-ooh!") - 13 years ago.

Crazy Prices vanished from Ireland 16 years ago.

Sharon Curley's baby Georgina will be turning 20 this year.

GamesMaster first aired 21 years ago.

Sledge Hammer! was 25 years ago!

First time we seen Zig & Zag on TV was 26 years ago.

Same for BraveStarr.

Prisoner Cell Block H ended 27 years ago :(

This book is 29 years old

Bosco is 35

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

On Saturday I mentioned He-Man to someone and they'd never heard of him... :o

Prisoner Cell Block H ended 27 years ago :(

As recently as that?
    It always looked like it was set in another era entirely.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

The Nokia 3330 (white version of the blue 3310) which was the first popular “wap” phone, was released 13 years ago!

• Advertisement

antodeco wrote: »
    The Nokia 3330 (white version of the blue 3310) which was the first popular “wap” phone, was released 13 years ago!

WAP and iMode were pretty dire. Remember when they used to try to charge you about €2.99 to access a single 'wap page' too.

Advertisement