Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veronica Mars (Movie)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Compak wrote: »
    2 million is pennies when it comes to making a movie (which is why WB had no interest in private investment when it was offered) 50,000 backers (what it has now) or even if it got 10x that amount is absolutely no proof that the large interest exists to make this film a success - in line of the expectations of what a studio like WB will have. VM always had an extremely loyal following (remember the campaigns to keep it on the air), this never translated to universal rating success.

What we have witnessed is one of the greatest marketing coups ever by WB. They get you to pay them millions, and for the privilege they get an unparalleled amount of free publicity to create interest in this movie - the ultimate goal of the stunt. It's being non stop on the news and chat shows in America. Don't get me wrong, it's not criticism, but simply calling it what it was.

I personally (despite loving the show) would never have gone to cinema to see the film, now after this I am intrigued

There's more to this than just a marketing stunt. WB might have allowed the Veronica Mars creatives apparent control of the process, but I think there are a great many high level Hollywood executives watching things very closely.

This is a gamechanger in how Television Drama is going to be financed.

I don't think anyone could have anticipated the level of support that the Veronica Mars kickstarter has generated in such a short period of time. In the world of Sky plus, box-sets and file-sharing, old-school ratings are no longer the ultimate barometer of a show's appeal.

WB execs would have been well aware of similar campaigns launched by web-series such as Husbands (which Joss Whedon has guest starred in) but this is a watershed moment for television in the internet age. For the last few years execs across the board of major TV & Film companies have watched the growth of the internet and wondered what the future might hold. I recently watched an industry doc in which some of the most powerful people in Hollywood admitted that they have no idea what the future might hold as regards scripted television. They were genuinely worried at the fact that very few people under 30 watched scripted television on a regular basis.

What the Veronica Mars Kickstarter has shown is that smart, scripted TV can independently finance itself if the support base is broad enough. In this case the campaign was dependent on a brand that had established itself through the avenues of traditional network broadcasting, but there are multiple web-series out there that are breaking down this paradigm. Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee was the best comedy show I watched last year on TV or internet.

Once one of these independent web series raises a substantial budget from an internet funding program and delivers a quality product, the sky's the limit.

TV is at a crossroads. The question is whether the major corporations will adapt or stand by like the dinosaurs watching the meteorite in the sky...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Started rewatching this at the start of the week. Such a brilliant show. Can't wait for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,912 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Heard song on the radio that reminded me of a wee scene from season 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,660 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Yay Logan back on screen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

It's up to 3.6 million now.

They have added Canada for shipping and Rob Thomas says he's working on adding other territories. Hopefully western europe next. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭trendy88

Cannot express in words how excited I am for this. Going to rewatch from the beginning now. Brill!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

wow they really dump alot on her in the first episode

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

I'm heartened by some of the plot points that have come out. Good interview here with Thomas:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/18/veronica-mars-movie-rob-thomas-interview_n_2886643.html

Plus Party Down still a possibility without any Kickstarter involvement.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

wow they really dump alot on her in the first episode
    Have they decided to aim for the German market then?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

3.7 million....the madness of it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,365 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

While I'm delighted this movie is getting made (big VM fan from day one) I'm not sure I can hack a full year of youtube videos/instagram shots/cast member tweets.

I remember going through this entire rigmaroll all those years ago with the announcement of Serenity, the photos of the serenity ship rebuild, the tales of extras/fans visiting the sets, the build up to the 'Can't Stop the Signal' screenings etc.

It's going to be that times 1,00,000 given the dawn of the social media era over the past few years. Think I'm getting too old for that sh*t.

Someone let me know when Europeans can pledge and then I'm checking out of the process until a week before it gets released.

when will it be released, this time next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Oleg Luzhny

I remember reading somewhere that Rob Thomas said that they're aiming for a January release. It'll certainly be early 2014 anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,912 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Think was March as that's the date on all the rewards

The first reward, the pdf of the shooting script on the day of the movie's release, has an estimated delivery of February 2014 though. I'd say it'll definitely be released in the first three months of 2014 and if at all possible, January.

god that wig is terrible

a 20 yr cop going out with a 17 yr old? and going to the high school dance?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

You're fairly powering through them, expectationlost! :pac:

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    You're fairly powering through them, expectationlost! :pac:
    its schmidt before he was schmidt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

its schmidt before he was schmidt
    He's always been Schmidt.

Leo is just his acting phase.

how did logan know where she was?

oh right rewatched that, the phone was still on, still.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

how did logan know where she was?

Logan knows all and sees all

half, half! the half part counts, euh

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

Halfway through season 2 of the series now. Season 1 is some of the best TV I have ever seen! Everything about it was perfect. I don't think season 2 is as good, but still really enjoying it. Since I started watching it last week I have gained so much respect for Kristen Bell as an actress- she is SO good! I am really looking forward to this film!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Season 1's arc was more tight in it's writing for sure, but Season 2 has an amazing payoff. The finale will stun you. I guessed the whodunnit in season 1 well before the end. If you guess season two's mystery I'll be very, very impressed :)

Halfway through season 2 of the series now. Season 1 is some of the best TV I have ever seen! Everything about it was perfect. I don't think season 2 is as good, but still really enjoying it. Since I started watching it last week I have gained so much respect for Kristen Bell as an actress- she is SO good! I am really looking forward to this film!

Welcome! I'm glad you're enjoying VM so much. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Kickstarter now open to Irish funders :)

Huzzah!

Advertisement