Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

did you hear him on the radio this morning about the sweat & his glasses?? Ohh lord!!

As long as he's scoring well, we will just have to put up with it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

charlieIRL wrote: »
    did you hear him on the radio this morning about the sweat & his glasses?? Ohh lord!!

As long as he's scoring well, we will just have to put up with it!!

Was he taking the Michael?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

nope, dead serious. Said he's only suffering from sweating since putting on the extra 14 pounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

The humidity can be intense in that part of the world. Played in Thailand on hols one year and it was unbelievable. Half way down the first fairway and you'd be nearly soaked with the sweat. And I'm not a fat lad!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Loire wrote: »
    Was he taking the Michael?

Lets face it he has become an absolute laughing stock, its sad really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭Speak Now

3 time major winner, well respected R&A Ambassador and well know for his charity work.

Seriously doubt he's an absolute laughing stock in the golfing world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

Since when did he start using the belly putter?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

I'd sell my granny if it meant paddy could win a big event this year just to give the two fingers to all the haters in here.

The man is an irish hero.

IMO he still has 1 major left in him. Last year he came close again.

He was 4th and 8th last year in the us open and masters.

He has 3 majors. Does huge amounts of charity work as said above. I've met him twice and he is an absolute gent.

One of the times I met him he was playing pitch and putt an ballyboden good council with his nephew.

Ordinary decent man who has achieved great things.

People seem to be reveling in the fact he cannot seem to reach the heights he did a few years ago.

Very sad behaviour.

Personally I'm rooting for him and always will. Don't care what he wears, what clubs he has, what weight he is or how much he is sweating. Don't care what his excuses are for bad showings either as I know behind the scenes he is working his socks off to win again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

A golfers first and foremost achivement is performance in the majors, he has won three, only 27 golfers in the history of the sport have won more and a good few of them were from the old days.
    Harsh comment.

Jack Nicklaus - 18
    Tiger Woods - 14
    Walter Hagen - 11
    Ben Hogan - 9
    Gary Player - 9
    Tom Watson - 8
    Bobby Jones - 7
    Arnold Palmer - 7
    Gene Sarazen - 7
    Sam Snead - 7
    Harry Vardon - 7
    Nick Faldo - 6
    Lee Trevino - 6
    Seve Ballesteros - 5
    James Braid - 5
    Byron Nelson - 5
    J.H. Taylor - 5
    Peter Thomson - 5
    Willie Anderson Jr. - 4
    Jim Barnes - 4
    Ernie Els - 4
    Raymond Floyd - 4
    Bobby Locke - 4
    Phil Mickelson - 4
    Tom Morris Jr. - 4
    Tom Morris Sr. - 4
    Willie Park Sr. - 4

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

ForeRight wrote: »
    I'd sell my granny if it meant paddy could win a big event this year just to give the two fingers to all the haters in here.

IMO he still has 1 major left in him. Last year he came close again.

He was 4th and 8th last year in the us open and masters.

He has 3 majors. Does huge amounts of charity work as said above. I've met him twice and he is an absolute gent.

One of the times I met him he was playing pitch and putt an ballyboden good council with his nephew.

Ordinary decent man who has achieved great things.

People seem to be reveling in the fact he cannot seem to reach the heights he did a few years ago.

Very sad behaviour.

Personally I'm rooting for him and always will. Don't care what he wears, what clubs he has, what weight he is or how much he is sweating. Don't care what his excuses are for bad showings either as I know behind the scenes he is working his socks off to win again.

Golf is a funny game. I think sometimes we forget how difficult it is, how deep the competition is, and how being a small bit off your game can have a massive impact on your results.

Right now below the cut line in Malaysia is Richard Finch, Thomas Levet, Simon Dyson, Gregory Havret, and Jose Lara. All of them multiple winners on the European tour. Below the cut line in the US are Mike Weir, Ernie Els, Ross Fisher, Brandt Sneds, big Phil, Lucas Glover, Webb Simpson, Angel Cabrera. Plenty of US tour wins and quite a few majors between them.

I'd best most if not all of these would be happy to put on a stone, wear glasses and sweat like a pig in the butchers if it meant they'd win a major this year! The difference with PH is that he'll openly tell you that he'll do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭abff

Well said! You're not the only one who feels that way about him. There are a lot more fans than haters.

I always find it sad to see people having a go at such a great sporting hero. Begrudgery is alive and well in Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

slave1 wrote: »
    A golfers first and foremost achivement is performance in the majors, he has won three, only 27 golfers in the history of the sport have won more and a good few of them were from the old days.
    Harsh comment.

To be fair I was referring to his present eccentricities rather than his past glories, which of course put him up there in the ranks of the all-time Irish greats.

But if anything this makes his subsequent implosion all the more baffling, the constant tinkering and tampering (presumably to ape Tiger), the brainwaves, laser/glasses, weight gain silliness, the senseless throwing away of a winning game which could/should have brought him 6-8 majors (while his psychologist laughs his way to the bank).

No denying however, as stated above, he's an all-round good egg; my own missus says if he's ever caught fooling around she'll throw herself out of a window:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

To be fair I was referring to his present eccentricities rather than his past glories, which of course put him up there in the ranks of the all-time Irish greats.

But if anything this makes his subsequent implosion all the more baffling, the constant tinkering and tampering (presumably to ape Tiger), the brainwaves, laser/glasses, weight gain silliness, the senseless throwing away of a winning game which could/should have brought him 6-8 majors (while his psychologist laughs his way to the bank).

No denying however, as stated above, he's an all-round good egg; my own missus says if he's ever caught fooling around she'll throw herself out of a window:D

The constant tinkering and tampering is widely misunderstood. PH is on record as saying that the only thing that is constant in his game is constant change! He changed his swing multiple times before his major successes, during his major successes, and after his major successes.

I can understand who some people may think that he stumbled upon a winning formula and then went about needlessly tinkering with it. There may be some small element of truth in that (which he may never admit to). However, for now I'll take what he says at face value and just hope that in the near future he'll stumble upon that winning formula again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

PRAF wrote: »
    I can understand who some people may think that he stumbled upon a winning formula and then went about needlessly tinkering with it. There may be some small element of truth in that (which he may never admit to). However, for now I'll take what he says at face value and just hope that in the near future he'll stumble upon that winning formula again.

The main prob for Harro currently is he has lost confidence with the flat stick, end of! If he had confidence in that, he could have won 2 majors last year without playing great for the rest of the year.

One good week however and I feel he will be on a roll.

One thing I would be worried about is that he has played a lot of golf so far this year and it would be awful if he was fatigued in Augusta in 3 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I think you are being a little over sensitive. PH has engaged in some pretty funny stuff over the years, and particularly lately. He's fair game for people taking the p1ss a little. It's harmless stuff, it doesnt mean you're not a fan, and certainly shouldn't class you as a hater. I hope PH is not as precious and humourless about himself as you appear to be with regard to him ;)

I think you are being a little over sensitive. PH has engaged in some pretty funny stuff over the years, and particularly lately. He's fair game for people taking the p1ss a little. It's harmless stuff, it doesnt mean you're not a fan, and certainly shouldn't class you as a hater. I hope PH is not as precious and humourless about himself as you appear to be with regard to him ;)

Everytime he has a bogey people are jumping on it to criticise him.
    I far from sensitive on it just getting a bit tedious at this stage.

Nearly as boring and repetitive as the people who give out about the ads on sky sports golf every weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

May be time to stop following this thread so.....

May be time to stop following this thread so.....

I'm following it to revel when he turns it around ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Eaglebridie 32

Good start today to rd 2 birdie on 7th ,now t10 . Hope he can push on now !

-7 after 2 rounds. Lets hope for a good round 3 this week. Currently tied 7th with a big group.

• Advertisement

Reduced to 54 holes so going to a sprint tomorrow with the packed leaderboard. Couple of early birdies so he is tied 3rd just 2 off the lead. Peter Lawrie is on same score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Reduced to 54 holes so going to a sprint tomorrow with the packed leaderboard. Couple of early birdies so he is tied 3rd just 2 off the lead. Peter Lawrie is on same score.

Only two shots behind the leader, anything can happen here. If anything being reduced to 54 holes could help Harrington, regardless great position for him to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

Play suspended, resumes later tonight at 10pm our time on Sky.

Tied 6th on -9 with six others one of which is Lawrie. Leader on -11.

Would be interesting to know how many putts he's converted from inside 15 feet. A high % would indicate that he may be closer to sorting out his green reading problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,823 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

What is all the panic about Padraig. He is 41 and
    1 shot behind charl schwartzel. l think people who complain about him , dont remember a time without him.
    The fact remains ,that for such a "strong golfing country". We have an awful record in majors.

Only for Padraig that record would be no record. There is only about 10 irish golfers , that got to the top top level. Of that 10 only 2 or 3 got to top of euro tour, 1 or 2 were winning around the world.

Padraig has done everything. Amazingly, playing poor for him, he could have won a major again last year.

Anyway, we know all this.

When I get sad about his bad days, I think of his 2nd shot to 17 in 2008 at The Open.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭shaneon77

madds wrote: »
    Play suspended, resumes later tonight at 10pm our time on Sky.

Tied 6th on -9 with six others one of which is Lawrie. Leader on -11.

Would be interesting to know how many putts he's converted from inside 15 feet. A high % would indicate that he may be closer to sorting out his green reading problems.

The live coverage starts at 2.30 am, i think the programme at 10pm is just highlights from today.
    I'm debating whether to stay up for it or not! It would be fantastic for him to have a good lash at winning it. here's hoping. best of luck to Lawrie also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

shaneon77 wrote: »
    The live coverage starts at 2.30 am, i think the programme at 10pm is just highlights from today

Thanks, think ill record it so.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭JohnnyLocke

Been away from the laptop for a few days and caught up on the posts on this. Surprised to read some of the comments but having watched the highlights today of the second round Harrington was playing superb golf. He hit 16 greens in the second round that was interupted twice. Good to see him play well considering there was no flow to the round. Recently he hasnt been able to put 4 rounds together, im hoping this week being reduced to 54 he will have 3 good rounds and the 4th being missed will be a blessing.

Having said this, his interviews are getting worse and its hard to watch him playing with glasses on. I used to wear glasses myself on the golf course but to see a professional it just doesnt look right and is by no means intimidating for the opponent (in reference to a few pages back there was a post about his ridiculous jumper when he played mcdowell in the matchplay).

Have a cheeky each way double on rickie fowler in the US (currently 6 under) and Harro in Malaysia!! My two favourite golfers on either side of the pond! Cmonnnn Paddy and Rickie!!!!

madds wrote: »
    Thanks, think ill record it so.

I really shouldnt but il be up watching!! Cmonn Paddy make it worthwhile.

As long as he doesnt collapse and fall way out of contention il be happy.

Been away from the laptop for a few days and caught up on the posts on this. Surprised to read some of the comments but having watched the highlights today of the second round Harrington was playing superb golf. He hit 16 greens in the second round that was interupted twice. Good to see him play well considering there was no flow to the round. Recently he hasnt been able to put 4 rounds together, im hoping this week being reduced to 54 he will have 3 good rounds and the 4th being missed will be a blessing.

Having said this, his interviews are getting worse and its hard to watch him playing with glasses on. I used to wear glasses myself on the golf course but to see a professional it just doesnt look right and is by no means intimidating for the opponent (in reference to a few pages back there was a post about his ridiculous jumper when he played mcdowell in the matchplay).

Have a cheeky each way double on rickie fowler in the US (currently 6 under) and Harro in Malaysia!! My two favourite golfers on either side of the pond! Cmonnnn Paddy and Rickie!!!!

Rickie e/w in betting W/O Tiger too. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭swoody

eagle on the 5th and birdie at the 6th for Páidí

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement