Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

ssbob wrote: »
    Just a nice stat, last season Harry had 6 top 10's worldwide and this year already he has had 3 top 10's and we haven't even had our first major yet!

Interesting stat. I thought last year was a good year. Lots of top 25s (I think it was 9) and a fair sprinkling of top 10s (6 as you said). He also had that win in the PGA Grand Slam.

This year he's had 3 top 10s and 1 top 25. But he's also had 2 missed cuts and another two pretty poor showings. He seems to be struggling for consistency for whatever reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Firstly I totally agree that his conversion rate right throughout his career has been poor, I think he had 16 second place finishes:eek: before he got his first win! But now I think when he is in that position he absolutely goes for everything so it's sh1t or bust in effect.......I reckon if he had played conservative over the past 18 months, he may have a lot more 2nd place finishes but would still have no wins!

Secondly I think that compared to 2011, his ball striking has improved remarkably, however a decline in his short game for some unknown reason has really stopped him from competing consistently enough.

Finally, Paddy has played an awful lot in comparison to others so far this year, I am hoping that by taking these next couple of weeks off that he will come back rejuvenated for the Masters and be in contention!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

ssbob gives a good summary I reckon.

The concern I would have is that not too many people experience such a dramatic slump in short game like he has and come back from it. Let's call a spade a spade, some of his short putts in the last 12 months have looked pretty close to yips, so much movement, so much time over the ball. I hope I am wrong, but I think this is likely to be what defines his future - you can't argue with his improved ball striking, length, stats for greens hit in reg etc. But the short game seems pretty suspect under pressure now, whereas it used to flourish.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭WacoKid

With the standard of the current game on the up-and-up its really a putting contest for 90% of the time. For the Open on a links course etc. with foul weather is an obvious exception. Pro golf follows the nice weather now so being a wind player etc. does not reap much rewards.

Woods made 30 from 31 inside 10 feet last week and Mahon had 57 from 60 inside 8 feet before he lost to Kucher in the World Matchplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

His putting is too mechanical and unnatural. I'd love to see a more free flowing stroke. Taking too long over a putt is another bad sign.

Quickly read the green, pick your line, a couple of quick practice putts, and then pull the trigger. Simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

If it's good for me, it's good for my game! Love Harrington to bits but he's passed it! You think he's having a solid round of golf but then he has to have a double bogey to ruin it. I wonder if he would of won more majors if he hadn't of tinkered with his swing!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭Speak Now

nbar12 wrote: »
    I wonder if he would of won more majors if he hadn't of tinkered with his swing!

You could just as easily ask would he have won any majors if he hadn't tinkered with his swing! He'll say he made changes between 07 and 08.

Most golfers are past their best when they hit their 40's, doesn't mean he wont be competitive.

An Irish sporting legend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

-3 today in the Texas Open through the 13th hole. Leader on -4, early days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Encouraging start. So long as the bogeys stay away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

go on paudie!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭AloKildare

Brilliant scrambling so far thru 15 holes, he has gotten up and down on every occasion he has missed a green.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Putting exceptionally well it would appear. No obvious birdie chances missed and some great par saves so far

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

326yd drive followed by a chip to 3in.

Tap in bird to lead all on his own!

C'mon Paddy, it's masters time!!!!

-5 at the moment, on the par 5 at 18 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,775 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Jaysus - he was a gone man here a few weeks ago. :rolleyes:

At least we will get a full week of Paddy is crap - wait and see. Bad round, putting , won 3 majors, class bloke, head case, love him, hate him, can't putt, fat looking, shoe laces, glasses.

Anyway - keep it up Paddy.

Makeable birdie putt from 30ft.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,578 ✭✭✭uberwolf

3 putt by the looks of his scorecard

ForeRight wrote: »
    Makeable birdie putt from 30ft.....

Lol - had a 6.

Sorry lads - ye are all right about Paddy.

Only joking keep it up. ForeRight thanks for that one "Makeable", reading green on shotracker ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭abff

And a 3 putt to finish,unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭AloKildare

He just bogeyed the last, that's him finished :D

• Advertisement

Fupp it anyway, bogey on the last. Bring on round 2.

Lol - had a 6.

Sorry lads - ye are all right about Paddy.

Only joking keep it up. ForeRight thanks for that one "Makeable", reading green on shotracker ? :)

A 30footer is even makeable for me. What's wrong with paddy my god :)

ForeRight wrote: »
    A 30footer is even makeable for me. What's wrong with paddy my god :)

I played 18 perfect into wind today - Drive , punched 5 iron, 30 footer - Awful 3 putt.

I empathise with the man I love. :o:p

I played 18 perfect into wind today - Drive , punched 5 iron, 30 footer - Awful 3 putt.

I empathise with the man I love. :o:p

He leads by one.

Legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Despite 3 putting 18 I just heard them say he had 23 putts for the round? Short game obviously not in bad shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

I might be delusional but still think Harrington has another Major or two in him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I might be delusional but still hope Harrington has another Major or two in him.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

If he ever starts reading this thread his head will melt.
    If you're reading Paddy,just give us a sign... A boards t-shirt in the last group on Sunday at the Masters?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

mafc wrote: »
    I might be delusional but still think Harrington has another Major or two in him.

Ever since Dazza somehow won the open, its given renewed hope to all washed up ex-champs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭tigerwood1

Go Go Harry, i have started backing padraig in recent tournaments again and had to back him at 60/1 for this tournament i know it's a long way from the winning post but i have already got value for my fiver. reckon he will denfinitely win again before seasons out, thats if he does'nt read this forum. Either way he is great ambassador for Ireland a true gentleman.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement