Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Bout Dem Bears?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Would like Trestman myself, but like you am surprised McCoy or Dennison didn't make it near the list.

I'd actually prefer Bevell over Arians - as we don't need the same old same old, we need a big change up. Though obviously it has the potential to backfire.

Quote from elsewhere that made me think:

What stands out to me: pick your flavor. Young, up-and-comer (Bevell); proven veteran (Arians) and outside-the-box (Trestman)

Anyway i'm hoping Emery gets this right

I'm sure most know at this stage but said i'd leave this here anyway - Trestman hired

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-bears-hire-marc-trestman-20130115,0,6614538.story

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭baddebt

kennyb3 wrote: »
    I'm sure most know at this stage but said i'd leave this here anyway - Trestman hired

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-bears-hire-marc-trestman-20130115,0,6614538.story

what do people think ?, I don't know much about this dude ,good of bad signing ?

is there much difference between Amercian footie and canadian footie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Good stuff, while I wasn't excited by the 3 candidates as a whole, he was definitely my favourite.

- Already a head-coach, he's not gonna be a co-ordinator spending a year or two trying to find his feet, so you can hit the ground running. Which is what you need for this team, it's not a project, it's built to win now.

- West Coast Offense guy. I'm not that knowledgable on the X's and O's of the WCO, I'm gonna read some more about it, but the lack of effective quick-hitting plays this year I thought was a big handicap. In 3rd-and-short situations I had no confidence in the team to get a high-percentage play. You expect to see more of Forte as a receiver, which is exciting. And I presume they'll be looking for a new receiving tight end. I was thinking of reading this book by Bill Walsh in the off-season, so think I'll definitely get that now.

- Already worked with Cutler at the '06 draft combine, so there's already a relationship there. It'll be a new style of offense for Cutler to learn, but I think he has the general skills to do so, and with Trestman being a bit of a QB guru, can help him fill in the gaps.

In general I'm excited. Reading some reactions from Montreal Alouettes fans and you hear things like 'innovative', 'creative', and it was proven by on-field success. They're obviously going to be positive about a coach that won them titles, but the sense I got was they were specifically crediting a large part of their success to his coaching skills.

Aaron Kromer OC also, bye bye Tice

• Advertisement

http://www.amazon.com/Perseverance-Life-Lessons-Leadership-Teamwork/dp/0978780930/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1358349629&sr=1-1&keywords=marc+trestman

Might be worth a read too, Brandon Marshall just tweeted to say he is reading it and is excited by the hire!:)

http://www.amazon.com/Perseverance-Life-Lessons-Leadership-Teamwork/dp/0978780930/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1358349629&sr=1-1&keywords=marc+trestman

Might be worth a read too, Brandon Marshall just tweeted to say he is reading it and is excited by the hire!:)

Nice one. I forgot as well that Culter and Marshall played in a West Coast Offense in Denver. It won't be exactly the same, but should be a big help.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,188 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Happy Trestman got the job :)

Hopefully Marinelli stays as the DC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Great hire by the Bears. Great offensive mind and knows how to work with QBs properly. Very intelligent coach and the Bears get exactly what they need an offense guy. Coach in the NFL as a QB/OC for 20 years before hitting Canada. In 4 seasons in Canada he has 2 Grey Cups.Liked by many coaches and players.

Johnny Knox released today, sad to see he couldn't recover from his injury but I'm happy they kept him around and paid him last season.

I know some sections of the fanbase gave him a lot of sh*t for running the wrong route or not blocking, but he was a solid contributor and went to the pro bowl as a returner one year. I think he was only about 50 yards away from 1000 in 2010 also. Best of luck to him in his life after the NFL!

• Advertisement

I think that was the scariest injury I ever saw watching sport. Sucks to be out of the game at a young age, but hopefully he has pretty good health.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,834 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

padraig_f wrote: »
    I think that was the scariest injury I ever saw watching sport. Sucks to be out of the game at a young age, but hopefully he has pretty good health.

Was just looking at the hit, it was gruesome. He's lucky to be alive let alone playing football.

Knox has announced that he is retired from pro football.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭bobby wade

Its a shame but health comes first

Henry Melton franchise tagged. Uses up nearly all of the spare cap space, and makes it very difficult if they want to keep Urlacher this year. Actually it's an indication that they don't want to keep him. He said he'd take a serious cut in pay because he wants to stay in Chicago, but it doesn't look workable at the moment. They'll even struggle to pay their rookies. Presumably a fair few cuts on the cards after all the silence from Emery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Spongey1975

Wouldnt worry about the salary cap at this stage. Plenty of time yet to do a deal for Melton that wont cost 8mil towards the cap. They will also rework Peppers deal (he's counting 16mil to the cap) Tillmans deal (8mil to the cap) and possibly Cutlers deal (10 mil to the cap). Reworking those deals will free up plenty of space to resign Urlacher, all the rookies and a few more vets. They could also release Kellen Davis and Devin Hester which would free up almost 5mil too.

Loads of options available

Wouldnt worry about the salary cap at this stage. Plenty of time yet to do a deal for Melton that wont cost 8mil towards the cap. They will also rework Peppers deal (he's counting 16mil to the cap) Tillmans deal (8mil to the cap) and possibly Cutlers deal (10 mil to the cap). Reworking those deals will free up plenty of space to resign Urlacher, all the rookies and a few more vets. They could also release Kellen Davis and Devin Hester which would free up almost 5mil too.

Loads of options available

Tagging Melton guarantees him 8.45 million though, so there's no doing a deal. In the longer term, I presume they hope to be able to come to a more reasonable agreement (same as Forte). They also need to workout deals with Idonije, Lance Lewis, and a bunch of others. They can restructure Peppers and Tillman, but Cutler is different. If they want to get his wage down, they'll have to cut a longer term deal, and Trestman and Emery have been very cagey about whether they are actually interested in doing that before they see how he works with the new coaching staff. They've all but said (and so has Cutler) that they will basically wait and see.

Still, of course, they have more room for manoeuvre than most clubs, I think I'm just getting pessimistic that they might not bring back Urlacher, didn't think our defense was up to scratch once he got injured.

Tagging Melton guarantees him 8.45 million though, so there's no doing a deal. In the longer term, I presume they hope to be able to come to a more reasonable agreement (same as Forte).

The purpose of the tag is that he doesnt hit free agency. They now have until a certain date (usually in July but not sure exactly) to agree on a multi year deal or else Melton plays a one year deal worth 8.45 million. If they agree a deal then i've no doubt it will be structured in such a way that it doesnt cost 8.45 million towards the cap this year

If you remember last year Forte was tagged for 7.7 million but after his deal was done in July last year his salary cap hit was only 6.8 million

There is plenty of wiggle room for the salary cap this year. Converting Peppers salary to a signing bonus over remaining 3 years will free up 10 million alone

Aye no need to worry about Meltons hit on cap space just yet. However I'd like to hear of some restructuring on other players

bobby wade wrote: »
    Aye no need to worry about Meltons hit on cap space just yet. However I'd like to hear of some restructuring on other players

Especially if they are looking to pick up a TE in free agency.

• Advertisement

Good pick ups yesterday in Bennett and Bushrod. Not sure what the cap hits are yet (I heard that bushrods was only 3.05 million for 2013 but not substantiated yet). Might see kellen davis and matt spaeth cut as a result of Bennett signing. A few restructures will be needed

@vxmcclure23
    Profootballtalk reports that Bears have released tight end Kellen Davis.

Good pick ups yesterday in Bennett and Bushrod. Not sure what the cap hits are yet (I heard that bushrods was only 3.05 million for 2013 but not substantiated yet). Might see kellen davis and matt spaeth cut as a result of Bennett signing. A few restructures will be needed

Cool, two of the biggest needs and probably safer to address them in free-agency rather than the draft. Looking forward to a more varied offense next season, no viable tight-end was a big handicap last year. You'll have Jeffery in his second year (I heard he's working out with Marshall in the off-season), and Emery said he wanted to use Forte as a receiver more. We'll need to see how it comes together, but think it will be more varied and fun to watch at least.

The combined signings of Bushrod and Bennett are counting just under $5 million in cap space in 2013. The cuts of Davis and Spaeth and projected cut of Toieana will save over $5 million in cap space.

Good business so far. We have enough to sign our rookie class but then we are right up on the cap limit. Some restructures are still needed as we still got to sort out our LBs, backup QB and other needs

Roach gone to Okland to be their MLB

bobby wade wrote: »
    Roach gone to Okland to be their MLB

Disappointed with that one but Bears were given chance to match Raiders offer of 3-4 mil and decided not to (right decision imo)

Better news is we re-signed Zack Bowman who is a special teams standout

Article here from yesterday on the current cap situation for the Bears

Aye Bowman came in & had an amazing year

Lach is gone, turned down the 1 year/$2m he was offered.

There is no way he is getting much more than that off another team. Is it really worth going somewhere else for a few hundred grand more instead of having one more season with the Bears? If Briggs & Peanut are hoisting the Lombardi next February he is going to regret it forever.

Maybe he'll just retire. Sad day anyway :(

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Lach is gone, turned down the 1 year/$2m he was offered.

There is no way he is getting much more than that off another team. Is it really worth going somewhere else for a few hundred grand more instead of having one more season with the Bears? If Briggs & Peanut are hoisting the Lombardi next February he is going to regret it forever.

Maybe he'll just retire. Sad day anyway :(

Yeah disappointed to be honest, I thought the defense was far better when he was in it last year, struggled a bit without him reading the play. He had said he would be happy to take a pay cut and that he wanted to finish his career in Chicago as he regards it as home now, so it's odd that he would hold out for more than 2m. What teams would take a cap hit of more than that for him at this point? He must have some other interested parties lined up or he wouldn't have held out.

• Advertisement

from what I've read the problem may have been it was only $1 mill guranteed. $500,000 signing bonus & $500,000 roster bonus

Advertisement