Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Bout Dem Bears?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭Guffy

Anyone have any opinions on bringing Russel in for a try out?

My tupence, signing him is risk free really. Should get him pretty cheap if he's up to it. He's all up side really,1st pick potential, should be an upgrade from Campbell and if he does preform it. Would prevent Cutler trying to get a huge pay day this season. Or rather would mean we wouldn't be held to ransom by Cutler

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

gufc21 wrote: »
    Anyone have any opinions on bringing Russel in for a try out?

My tupence, signing him is risk free really. Should get him pretty cheap if he's up to it. He's all up side really,1st pick potential, should be an upgrade from Campbell and if he does preform it. Would prevent Cutler trying to get a huge pay day this season. Or rather would mean we wouldn't be held to ransom by Cutler

Russel shouldn't get anywhere near the league imo. Even though I'm a packers fan he will do nothing for ye at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭Guffy

Arawn wrote: »
    Russel shouldn't get anywhere near the league imo. Even though I'm a packers fan he will do nothing for ye at all.

Why? Hopefully age will have done a lot for his maturity, I'm sure getting cut and the fact no one came running for him will have done a lot to get his ego in check. He has to know now that there is no way he can make it in the NFL without putting the effort in and no team will take a shot on him if he is still a lazy git. He is not going to get a big payday and i can see him being offered a 1/2 yr low offer from a team. Cutler tends to get injured at the end of the season so we need someone to who can come in and get the job done for those 3 or 4 games to get us over the line. If Russel has his attitude sorted then there is no reason why he couldn't do a job for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Ye only checked on him as a just in case break glass emergency.

Though I will say fair ****s on losing the weight, he weighed in at 267

• Registered Users Posts: 10,834 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Arawn wrote: »
    Ye only checked on him as a just in case break glass emergency.

Though I will say fair ****s on losing the weight, he weighed in at 267

I'd say a few teams will have a look at him tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,189 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I'd have no problem with the Bears signing him but I don't think it will happen. There will be a few other teams he would have a better chance with who will show interest in the next week or so.

There was never a problem with him ability wise, he was just lazy and uninterested. Losing 50lbs, seeing who he is surrounding himself with (Garcia, Faulk etc.) and seeing some interviews with him recently makes me think he is highly motivated and could still be a starter. I wish him the best!

Gabe Carimi is gone to the Bucaneers for a 6th round pick. What do ye think? Certainly it all looked to be going that way during the voluntary mini camps. Is a sixth good value?

Read somewhere that of the 8 first round picks Jerry Angelo made with the Bears, there are now (after Carimi's departure) precisely zero playing for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Gabe Carimi is gone to the Bucaneers for a 6th round pick. What do ye think? Certainly it all looked to be going that way during the voluntary mini camps. Is a sixth good value?

Read somewhere that of the 8 first round picks Jerry Angelo made with the Bears, there are now (after Carimi's departure) precisely zero playing for them.

I think its a good trade for both sides, as Carimi was probably going to be a backup (and maybe even cut), so to get something for him is a bonus.

Tampa Bay will probably think that considering Carimi was a solid prospect coming out of college, a new environment and coaching may improve his play. Not taking much of a risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Spongey1975

He didn't do himself any favours by staying away from OTA's particularly with a new head coach and offensive co-ordinator. I know injury hasn't helped him but judging by the new signings the best he could have hoped for was the starting right guard spot but more than likely he was going to be a backup.

There was always going to be cuts on the offensive line during camp so to get a sixth rounder for him is good business and a million dollars off the salary cap is a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭bobby wade

8 days to camp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Training camp starts today, 2 weeks to the first preseason game.

padraig_f wrote: »
    Training camp starts today, 2 weeks to the first preseason game.

That song (at least how they play it when we get a touchdown) always reminds me of the Monty Python song "Sit on my Face"

Will be looking out for Kyle Long at right guard when the pre-season games start. The pick seemed to raise a few eyebrows, going as high as he did in the first round. I'm only going on reports, but his athletic potential is supposed to be very high, the risk being a lack of top-level football experience (only played one season of division 1 college ball, at Oregon last season, and only started 4 of those games).

Seems to be off to a good start though:
    Chicago Bears Training Camp Practice Report: The Pads Come On

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Been reading daily reports here http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?830258-2013-Chicago-Bears-Training-Camp/page42

Very enjoyable.

Wooton seems like he's going to be a beast this year.

I'd expect Brown to start at guard which I think is a good thing - gives Long development time.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Been reading daily reports here http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?830258-2013-Chicago-Bears-Training-Camp/page42

Very enjoyable.

Wooton seems like he's going to be a beast this year.

I'd expect Brown to start at guard which I think is a good thing - gives Long development time.

Yeah, looks like the Brown and Long are competing for the place. Whoever it is, the o-line figures to be a lot better this year, with Bushrod and Slauson coming in to shore up the left side. Also on the coaching side, Aaron Kromer seems to have a very good reputation from his work in New Orleans.

I think that's why I'm interested in that right-guard spot, you figure if that's good, the general protection & run-blocking will be good.

[quote="kennyb3;85745233

I'd expect Brown to start at guard which I think is a good thing - gives Long development time.[/quote]

I know what you mean but long was not only a first round pick but a pick most felt was an error given his experience etc. I'm sure he'll progress, bit if he doesn't start this year, isn't there a question over the decision to pick him so high? Especially given the urgency of our o line issues

I know what you mean but long was not only a first round pick but a pick most felt was an error given his experience etc. I'm sure he'll progress, bit if he doesn't start this year, isn't there a question over the decision to pick him so high? Especially given the urgency of our o line issues

I don't Phil or Trestman or kromer are the types to do something that i'll do something to prove themselves right - they do whats best for the team.

I'm not saying he won't start but i could easily imagine him coming in week 4 or 5. He is particularly behind technique wise given he only played a handful of senior year games and then missed OTA's. Just cause he's not ready immediatedly doesn't mean he won't be a good first round pick and a rock in the Oline for years to come.

Worse would be to throw him in and mess him up (knock confidence, abandon techinique to try get job done etc.)

Yeah, looks like the Brown and Long are competing for the place. Whoever it is, the o-line figures to be a lot better this year, with Bushrod and Slauson coming in to shore up the left side. Also on the coaching side, Aaron Kromer seems to have a very good reputation from his work in New Orleans.

I think that's why I'm interested in that right-guard spot, you figure if that's good, the general protection & run-blocking will be good.

The run blocking is meant to be going brilliant so far, the pass protection not so much. Long has been superpowerful but lacking in technique but Webb is the big issue. He's betting beat time and again. And the problem is you only need one bad player on the line to give up sacks.

Hopefully it's just the move back from left tackle but I doubt it. Eben Britton has being getting 1st team reps at left and right tackle with bushrod injured and scott too, so hopefully he can step up. Mills looking okay with the 2nds but will likely need another year.

Our receiving corp is very exciting though - Jeffrey trained with Marshall all winter and is much stronger and has been going great. Marty B looks good at TE and both Joe Anderson and Marques Wilson are going well below them. It's only training camp but hopefully we see it during the season.

Benches clear at Bears camp

This is all good stuff imo, you like a bit of an edge. Looking forward to seeing Bennett in action. If he's at least good, it'll be a big upgrade from last year at the tight-end spot.

GAMEDAY!

I'm hoping Trestman will give the offense plenty of time (or at least more than 1-2 series!) on the field tonight since they are learning a new offense.

• Advertisement

Oat23 wrote: »
    GAMEDAY!

I'm hoping Trestman will give the offense plenty of time (or at least more than 1-2 series!) on the field tonight since they are learning a new offense.

He's said Cutlers appearance will be brief anyway.

GAMEDAY!

That'll be a big thing over the pre-season I think, with the WCO being a timing-based system that needs a lot of reps, and pretty limited reps these days with the CBA limitations. How quickly will they be up to full speed with the new offense?

Thought this was a good preview of tonight's game:
    Five things to watch: Bears-Panthers

That'll be a big thing over the pre-season I think, with the WCO being a timing-based system that needs a lot of reps, and pretty limited reps these days with the CBA limitations. How quickly will they be up to full speed with the new offense?

Thought this was a good preview of tonight's game:
    Five things to watch: Bears-Panthers

On the bit on the oline here is a quote re Eben Britton

"I think Eben is in the mix of finding where our offensive line will be," Trestman said. "He's in the mix. He's had a very productive camp. He's versatile; he can play just about anywhere we put him, both on the left and right side. And at this point I can say he's definitely involved in being part of this roster -- on a week-to-week basis. The 46-(man active game day roster).

Apparently Scott's knee might need surgery. So Eben might be the swing tackle.

Jeff Dickerson said in another article that Britton might end up taking the RT job from JWebb.
    Don't rule out the possibility of the former Jacksonville Jaguars second-round draft choice Eben Britton eventually unseating J'Marcus Webb for the starting right tackle job. Britton, who started 30 games (23 at right tackle, seven at left guard) for the Jaguars from 2009-12, has come on strong after signing a one-year deal with the Bears on April 16.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/post/_/id/4684496/cutler-to-play-limited-snaps-vs-carolina

Jeff Dickerson said in another article that Britton might end up taking the RT job from JWebb.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/post/_/id/4684496/cutler-to-play-limited-snaps-vs-carolina

It would be great if someone could replace him. He was a major liability last year, in an O-line where liabilities were common.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Spongey1975

The offensive line battle has really intrigued me so far. I dont know how many will make it to the final 53 (i reckon 8, maybe 9). Garza, Slauson, Long & Brown seem locked in on the interior. As for the tackles, Bushrod and Webb are there but then you have Britton, Scott, the rookie Mills and then a backup centre if needed. Gonna be some tough choices come final cut time

INT on first offensive snap and a three & out. Not a good start :o

Bostic!

We need Scott fit and at RT - Webb is just awful. Brown has apparently going well in preseason but didn't look great. Garza average as always. The Oline still needs work, hopefully they'll improve game to game by a lot. think they gave up like 7 sacks.

Loads of postivies tho from the rookies, defence and blanchard.

Melton's concussion a worry

Wasn't great, was it? I was expecting the o-line to be better and maybe some timing issues on the passing. The quick-hitters looked fine, but whenever Cutler had to spend any time in the pocket, the protection didn't hold up. Didn't seem to be one place, I saw Bushrod, Brown and Webb all get beaten.

I think they ran the ball just once with the starters, and that got stuffed as well.

The interception didn't bother me, wasn't sure whose fault it was....Jeffery stopped on the route and Cutler took the blame for it afterwards. Either way, it just seemed like a standard pre-season misunderstanding.

The Bostic interception was good, showed his pace returning it for a TD, didn't think he was going to do that.

I didn't catch the 2nd half, might watch it during the week.

Sounds like there will be a shake-up on the o-line for the next day (Bears going young on right side of offensive line?). Probably needs it, because there's not a lot of time to put things right.

• Advertisement

Brandon Marshall sure does make your offense look a lot better.

Advertisement