Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Bout Dem Bears?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Quick reaction...much better than last week. I think Kyle Long just won the starting job, and maybe Mills as well. Didn't see them get beat once and most of Forte's runs were to the right side.

- Early sacks didn't look good, but I think are fixable ones, Bennett missed block and Cutler coverage sack.

- Cutler int was bad this time, had protection.

- Liked the variation on the play-calling.

- Small thing: was noticing Trestman's demeanour on the sideline, very calm, unflustered.

- If Long and Mills can repeat that performance next week, it's really something to build on.

@SI_DougFarrar:
    When was the last time you could use "Bears offensive lineman" and "dominant" in the same sentence? Kyle Long, everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,189 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Long was class.

Bostic just ruined a receiver as I type this! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,834 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Didn't get to watch this but it sounds promising. Did Marshall get many snaps? And how did Jeffrey get on? Good news on the o line by the sounds of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Didn't see it but will catch bits later. Saw Mr. Boom Bostic's hit - wow.

Great to hear Long playing well and Mills doing well. The real test will be against a decent d line tho - but promising and that's all you can hope for at this stage.

Cutler throwing a needless interception :mad: always trying to force it.

And heard he went for Bmarsh 5 times, MBennett must be getting pissed as they didn't throw him a pass in the whole of the last game.

How did Shea look in general, I know he got a sack/forced fumble but interested in his overall game.

Didn't get to watch this but it sounds promising. Did Marshall get many snaps? And how did Jeffrey get on? Good news on the o line by the sounds of things.

That was one disappointing thing, don't think Jeffery or Bennett got a target. But when you're only playing 10-15 snaps, that kind of thing probably happens. They were obviously looking to go to Forte, and the Marshall picked up the others.
    kennyb3 wrote: »
    How did Shea look in general, I know he got a sack/forced fumble but interested in his overall game.

Wasn't watching him especially, don't think he did much before the sack. Defense looked great in general with Peppers and Melton out, but thought it was more the Chargers looking a bit of a shambles (had 4 turnovers in the first half).

Good to see a bit of continuity in the defense. I've been kind of concentrating on that side less, because seems it will be fine.

• Advertisement

Article on Mel Tucker:
    Seamless transition for Bears defense

They did a sideline interview with Lance Briggs at the last game and he said a similar thing, that the players appreciated the way he's come in and listened to them, instead of trying to impose his own system too much.

This is cool, Mike Ditka watched practice today, and talked to the players after.

BSIUzQ8CcAAcYYD.jpg:medium

http://www.chicitysports.com/forum/showthread.php/37983-Preseason-Game-2-Long-and-Mills-Film-Review

Some analysis here play by play of long and mills in the chargers game. Obviously it's from a biased bears fan but still it's a nice read.

And the first game here:

http://www.chicitysports.com/forum/showthread.php/37775-Jordan-Mills-Film-Review

Great performance in the first half. Ok, the Raiders are ****, but it was still great.

Good protection, Cutler making good decisions and accurate throws, Forte looking electric, Jeffery having a big game.

Defense, I liked Frey's interception, and Bostic continuing to make plays.

Playcalling, really liked the variation again. I think my favourite play was a 3rd-and-1, which last season would've either been a run up the gut that got stuffed, or a 15-yard attempt to Marshall in double-coverage when you only needed 1. They hit Jeffery on a quick slant to secure the first down, and he ended up getting about 15 yards after the catch anyway.

O-line, actually great not to have to talk about it, they did their job.

The opposition was bad, but you still have to execute and they did that. The timing was good, Cutler made quick, decisive decisions, there was no hanging around in the pocket trying to improvise. It was designed plays or if the pressure came, he dealt with it quickly, either moving up in the pocket, or making a good dump-off pass.

You don't want to overreact to a preseason game against a bad team, but very encouraged by the performance. They've improved with each preseason game. After the Panthers game I was worried about the start of the season, now I'm looking forward to it.

• Advertisement

The o-line looked s'hit against some very poor D's last year - so this looks a massive upgrade already. Yes it was the Raiders, yes it was a preaseason game but it's still pretty obvious it's a lot better than last year.

If it gets a little beat up by a good Bengals D, it shouldn't be panic stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭baddebt

can't wait for the season to start ,
    still can't believe Bostic got fined for "that" tackle , it was brilliant .

Beardown

The o-line looked s'hit against some very poor D's last year - so this looks a massive upgrade already. Yes it was the Raiders, yes it was a preaseason game but it's still pretty obvious it's a lot better than last year.

If it gets a little beat up by a good Bengals D, it shouldn't be panic stations.

Yeah their d-line is great and they'll look to go at the rookies, Bostic will probably be targeted as well, if he gets the start at MLB.

Saw this article the other day, only Bleacher Report, and I don't know the author, but some nice praise:

Why Chicago Bears' Kyle Long Has Been Most Impressive Rookie in NFL Preseason

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

baddebt wrote: »
    can't wait for the season to start ,
    still can't believe Bostic got fined for "that" tackle , it was brilliant .

Beardown

unbelievable - how was that "highlight reel" hit illegal. Last time I checked it is a contact sport. Listening to the explanation of what he should have done - moving his head to the side, or keep his head up - 1. would mean he could damage his own neck 2. would have lead to a helmet to helmet which would have led to a more dangerous hit...

unbelievable - how was that "highlight reel" hit illegal. Last time I checked it is a contact sport. Listening to the explanation of what he should have done - moving his head to the side, or keep his head up - 1. would mean he could damage his own neck 2. would have lead to a helmet to helmet which would have led to a more dangerous hit...

Yeah, the tackle was good, but don't think it's much to worry about. I think it's just the NFL flexing their muscles in pre-season, trying send out a message to the league.

If the Bears are smart, they'll say to Bostic 'there was nothing wrong with that, just keep doing what you're doing' (and judging by Lance Briggs' tweet, I think that's probably what they've done).

I'm guessing he doesn't pay the fine out of his own pocket either, that the vets chip in and pay it for him (not strictly allowed, but I'd say it's easy enough to get around).

I notice DJ Williams is back in practice, so interesting to see who they give the start to for week 1. Bostic has has a great pre-season, but I could still see them going for the more experienced guy early on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Spongey1975

Im not sure if Bostic has appealed the fine but if he does it will be reduced to around $6k cos he is on rookie contract.

It was a great hit and I hope he doesnt play as hard to avoid fines in future. Its amazing that was called illegal but its legal to hit low and injure people. Keller out for year and Kevin Williams injured too and season hasnt even started

Marquess Wilson hasn't played offense yet tonight. Looks like he will make the 53! He's a very exciting talent!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Spongey1975

Cuts have started early today. J'Marcus Webb is gone, kinda expected that once Mills got the starting reps.

Also gone is Jordan Palmer (would have kept him ahead of Trent Edwards) Josh Lenz, Tom Nelson and Brandon Hardin (3rd round pick in 2012)

Cuts have started early today. J'Marcus Webb is gone, kinda expected that once Mills got the starting reps.

Also gone is Jordan Palmer (would have kept him ahead of Trent Edwards) Josh Lenz, Tom Nelson and Brandon Hardin (3rd round pick in 2012)

Yeah Jordan Palmer put in a good half - but they've gone to 2 Q-back option Trent Edwards gone too...

Big hope for OL with Mills & Long with Bushrod on other side - I just got so sick of hearing the coaches the last 2 years telling us the line was good & give the guys time - Webb/Carimi/Louis/Williams/Williams & Spencer all now gone - interesting times ahead...

Kicks off tomorrow, here's the schedule:

1. vs. Bengals
    2. vs. Vikings
    3. @ Steelers (SNF)
    4. @ Lions
    5. vs. Saints
    6. vs. Giants (TNF)
    7. @ Redskins

8. Bye week

9. @ Packers (MNF)
    10. vs. Lions
    11. vs. Ravens
    12. @ Rams
    13. @ Vikings
    14. vs. Cowboys (MNF)
    15. @ Browns
    16. @ Eagles
    17. vs. Packers

Really looking forward to this season, think it's gonna be a fun one. There won't be major expectation in Trestman's first year, that will come later, so I think that takes the pressure off to an extent.

The schedule is a tough one, but it's virtually the same for every team in the division, and if you don't mind the toughness of it, actually I think it's a fantastic schedule. With the exception of maybe the Browns and the Rams, 14 cracking games against quality opposition. 4 prime-time games, Packers after the bye-week, and again in the last game of the season at Soldier Field. With the tough schedule for the NFC North teams, it could be that no team in the division gets a wildcard, so that last game of the season could be a winner-take-all.

Expectations…I'm kind of thinking 7-10 wins, below that I'd be disappointed, above that, delighted. I think the division is winnable, I don't think there's all that much between the Bears and the Packers.

Getting to a Super Bowl would be tough, the NFC is loaded this year. I thought the best two teams in the NFL last year were the 49ers and the Seahawks, and you have to get past both of them. Still, get to the playoffs, and anything can happen.

Other schedule notes…4 of the first 6 games are at home, 4 of the last 6 on the road. So think it's important to get a good start. You probably want to be 4-2 after the first 6 games.

Anyway, very pleased with the off-season and pre-season, and looking forward to a new era with the Bears.

• Advertisement

padraig_f wrote: »
    Kicks off tomorrow, here's the schedule:

1. vs. Bengals
    2. vs. Vikings
    3. @ Steelers (SNF)
    4. @ Lions
    5. vs. Saints
    6. vs. Giants (TNF)
    7. @ Redskins

8. Bye week

9. @ Packers (MNF)
    10. vs. Lions
    11. vs. Ravens
    12. @ Rams
    13. @ Vikings
    14. vs. Cowboys (MNF)
    15. @ Browns
    16. @ Eagles
    17. vs. Packers

Really looking forward to this season, think it's gonna be a fun one. There won't be major expectation in Trestman's first year, that will come later, so I think that takes the pressure off to an extent.

The schedule is a tough one, but it's virtually the same for every team in the division, and if you don't mind the toughness of it, actually I think it's a fantastic schedule. With the exception of maybe the Browns and the Rams, 14 cracking games against quality opposition. 4 prime-time games, Packers after the bye-week, and again in the last game of the season at Soldier Field. With the tough schedule for the NFC North teams, it could be that no team in the division gets a wildcard, so that last game of the season could be a winner-take-all.

Expectations…I'm kind of thinking 7-10 wins, below that I'd be disappointed, above that, delighted. I think the division is winnable, I don't think there's all that much between the Bears and the Packers.

Getting to a Super Bowl would be tough, the NFC is loaded this year. I thought the best two teams in the NFL last year were the 49ers and the Seahawks, and you have to get past both of them. Still, get to the playoffs, and anything can happen.

Other schedule notes…4 of the first 6 games are at home, 4 of the last 6 on the road. So think it's important to get a good start. You probably want to be 4-2 after the first 6 games.

Anyway, very pleased with the off-season and pre-season, and looking forward to a new era with the Bears.
    It is a tough schedule, but I also think the Bears are being nicely underrated coming into the season. Of course there'll be a learning curve and mistakes along the way, but I for one think our defence will be even better than last year. It at least LOOKS like they have developed some real options for Cutler in the passing game, and as long as Marshall's hip holds up and Bennett and Jeffery work out (plus the promise that they will begin using Forte in the passing game as well) I can see us causing some surprises.

In terms of our record for the season, maybe 9-7? I'd be happy with 8 or higher, given the new coaching staff and very tough schedule. Sadly I don't see us beating the Packers (although with a little luck I'll be in Soldier Field to be proven gloriously wrong in December), but hell, you never know. God knows it's been a while. I think the Super Bowl is far beyond us right now, but a playoff place is a slim-to-decent possibility this year. And what's more, I'd be happy with that. Some consistency on offense and we can start putting results together, maybe avoid the late season collapse...who knows?

Anyway, playoffs or not, I'd be happy to see evidence of a more dynamic and unpredictable offense developing (hopefully the changes in the O-line will pan out medium to long term), maintaining defensive dominance, and a half decent few results, particularly within NFC North.

Great win - delighted

Great win - delighted

Da bearsss

Wow - good win - 1 very interesting stat.
    Sacks - yards lost

Well done O-Line, credit to the Mills/Long combo - did v well against Geno Atkins & co...

Wow - good win - 1 very interesting stat.
    Sacks - yards lost

Well done O-Line, credit to the Mills/Long combo - did v well against Geno Atkins & co...

Yeah they did great. Run-blocking could've been better, but the pass-protection was great considering the d-line they were up against. Was expecting to see the pocket collapsing much more than it did.

Great win. Wasn't a perfect performance...defense was worse than I thought, no pass-rush to speak of and AJ Green caused massive problems (he's a beast in fairness).

They stepped it up in the second half to get some stops, but some definite room for improvement there.

Offense was mixed, but good overall I thought. Iffy first half, one bad interception, but I liked the way they were able to close out the game with sustained drives at the end.

The 4th-and-1 call from the Bengals' 27 was a gutsy one. Down by 4 with 8 minutes left, a lot of OCs will go for a field goal there. I like that Trestman is prepared to be aggressive that situation....not for the sake of being aggressive, just that it's normally the right strategy, when a lot of OC's will take the safe option of a field-goal.

Fortune favours the brave, and they got it. Game could've gone either way, but great to get the win against a good Bengals team.

Breakdown of game-winning touchdown:
    Durkin’s Playbook: Cutler To Marshall Game-Winner

Shows the benefit of spreading the ball around and hitting Bennett for a TD earlier in the game: single coverage on Marshall.

The Fighting Illini played Washington at SF last night and the grass isn't in good condition. Hopefully it'll slow down AP a little and make him slip! Rain expected as well.

Very good article on Trestman here if anyone wants some pre-game reading.

Oat23 wrote: »
    The Fighting Illini played Washington at SF last night and the grass isn't in good condition. Hopefully it'll slow down AP a little and make him slip! Rain expected as well.

Damn, that probably suits the Vikings more.

Watched Lions-Vikings during the week. The Lions were better than I thought (Reggie Bush looks a good addition), and the Vikings worse. The Lions stopped the Vikings run pretty effectively. Peterson had a 78-yard TD on his first play, but after that? Finished the game with 93 yards and 18 carries. So he had just 15 yards for the rest of the game. It's up to the Bears front-seven to match what the Lions did, if they do, they win the game.

Another feature was the Lions using Reggie Bush effectively in screen passes. It looks a good option to counter the pass-rush, and I expect the Bears to try a similar thing with Forte.

The Vikings' biggest problem was their o-line (both in run-blocking and pass-protection), and the Bears d-line didn't have a great game last week, so looking for them to step up.

I think the Vikings are the weakest team in the division, so I don't know are there many must-win games this season, but playing at home, this is probably one of them.

Oat23 wrote: »

Good article. I'm still learning about him, but seems a very interesting guy with some different ways of doing things.

I like this detail:
    New players, accustomed to a traditional football world where each position group had separate meetings, were stunned to find themselves asked to sit in another position's meetings. London, for instance, didn't understand why Trestman wanted the receivers to watch film with the offensive linemen, listening as the coach broke down designed runs that had nothing to do with wide receivers.

That seems to be a big thing with him, building a cohesive team.

• Advertisement

Wow - full range of emotions during that one. Great to get the win.

Anyone else spot Kyle Long pulling his hammy during Cutlers strip? He hobbled on for the rest. Really hope it's not serious and he hasn't done proper damage by playing on.

We need to use Jeffrey more and get a 3rd WR involved. Too much Forte and Marshall in the second half.

Advertisement