Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2013:Round 1 - Australian Grand Prix

12346»

Comments

Kimi looks so proud to hear the anthem :pac:

Surprised Lotus/Renault don't have La Marseillaise as their tune.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Grim. wrote: »
    all down to track temp i'd say

Next weekend's race will spin a better tale I suppose, unless it rains.

all down to track temp i'd say

Probably made it a bit too easy for Lotus. Malaysia generally has high ambient rather than track temperature so we'll see, they have a pitstop in hand :pac:

Kimi already talking about Brazil, get in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Surprised Lotus/Renault don't have La Marseillaise as their tune.

Renault are just the engine supplier, have nothing to do with the team otherwise. Would be a bit weird having the Lotus name with the French anthem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

Here is it just me or is Kimi a bit more lively than usual? i wonder is it the thoughts of the massive piss up tonight

Rascasse wrote: »
    Renault are just the engine supplier, have nothing to do with the team otherwise. Would be a bit weird having the Lotus name with the French anthem.
    Boullier isn't a French name :pac:
    Here is it just me or is Kimi a bit more lively than usual? i wonder is it the thoughts of the massive piss up tonight
    He's very woumd up. I get the impression that there's some podium pace there. Unlike McLaren (the **** has happened there!?) they seem to have carried pace into this year.

If Kimi had stopped before the end he would've finished 3rd. Instead he finished, set the fastest lap at the end and finished first.

Boullier isn't a French name :pac:
    Sure, but he's just an employee.
    Unlike McLaren (the **** has happened there!?) they seem to have carried pace into this year.
    Some journo made a quip on Friday that the McLaren looks so bad that they could bring back last years car. It was said in jest but looking at today's performance it might not be a bad idea.

after fifteen hours of motor racing in the last twenty hours im now ready to keel over

Really weird in the middle of a long drinkin session to see bikes tracking along at 200mph on the Daytona banking. Surreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Well done Kimi.

Fifth for Lewis in his first race race for Mercedes.

Sure, but he's just an employee.
    Is the money not mainly coming from France? It was til recently I thought.
    Some journo made a quip on Friday that the McLaren looks so bad that they could bring back last years car. It was said in jest but looking at today's performance it might not be a bad idea.
    Yeah they said it during the race today. I find it amazing they could go so far backwards this year with the new rules coming next season.

• Advertisement

Is the money not mainly coming from France? It was til recently I thought.
    No, a pair of Luxembourgish billionaire wbankers, one of whom is good friends of Sutil.

No, a pair of Luxembourgish billionaire wbankers, one of whom is good friends of Sutil.

Those Goddamn Belgians.

See Kimi driving around Hamilton lads? That's how it's done. Hamilton already having to "grin and bear it".

I wouldn't get wound up about the season yet:

Lotus won't have that advantage again except for a couple of races unless the tyres switch on perfectly.
    Ferrari will close up consistently it seems, even pace with both drivers.
    RB Will have general pace, hopefully they won't have good track position.
    McLaren have nothing, amazing to see them lose so much pace in a year.
    Mercedes are hard to judge, looked good for a while but I wasn't expecting much this season.

I wasn't expecting much from any of the teams this season. Can't see why Mercedes would waste their time on this season's car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Have to say, delighted I woke up for that. Really really enjoyed that Grand Prix. Delighted that Alonso got on the Podium for the first race of the season. Fair play to Kimi too. Epic win that.

Can't wait for next week already!

I'm already writing off the next race so I can look forward to the next one. If I look forward from this one I'll just end up disappointed. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

Jensons 9th place brings him to 1001 Total Career Points. But that is still only 2 points for McLaren.

Great result for Kimi, but I don't think we can expect the same from Lotus next week, unless it is as bizarre as this weekend.

Marussia look like they have the run on Caterham this year, Bianchi very strong all weekend.

McLaren seemed to be running with too much rear wing, in comparison to RBR and the other big teams.

Final Timing Screen:
    BFiur7-CQAE5Dy-.png:large

Speed Trap:
    BFixiGVCUAE_JgI.png:large

Constructors Standings:
    BFiyFK0CAAEg1gc.png:large

Driver Points Table:
    BFiyp2sCMAA9-Or.png:large

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

See Kimi driving around Hamilton lads? That's how it's done. Hamilton already having to "grin and bear it".

Well one long squint through his rear view mirrors at the Mclarens & I'm sure that grin got a good bit wider ;) I thought Lewis did very well, I'd say he's a very happy bunny today with 5th place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

Himi Himi Himi Himi knows what he's doing!

Vettle is annoyingly a m a z i n g in qualy.

I like seeing new fresh Hamilton enjoying new challenge doing well. Pity for Rosberg once again :(

McLaren I can't understand how it's possible to ruin such a good car during winter break :O

I do enjoy seeing Lotus progress every year a tiny bit approaching steady development path in car but also elsewhere,with staff,sponsors,media and social media. I will put few yoyos on Kimis championship now.. Very possible indeed as long as their pit-stops and car reliability are top job throughout the season. Team atmosphere is fantastic.
    They need to improve qualy pace tho!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Great race, and relieved that RB just didn't run off into the distance.

Love seeing a good battle with Alonso and Kimi, they are great rivals and respect each other quite a bit.

We could yet have a great season on our hands.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

Coulthard got one last cheeky dig at Schumi on the beeb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

All he ever does is expose himself as a bitter, twisted & highly jealous man...a future Jackie Stewart in the works. I pay him little heed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ratedR

It's always great to see Kimi win and to see Red Bull/Vettel not dominate.

Anyone think that this may the the start of a very lean spell for McLaren ? They've lost Hamilton, Paddy Lowe and Vodafone are bailing at the end of the year. The car is cat, Button will win a few races in a decent car but won't ever be WDC again, and noone really knows how good Perez might be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭EireIceMan

What he say this time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭lolie

ratedR wrote: »
    It's always great to see Kimi win and to see Red Bull/Vettel not dominate.

Anyone think that this may the the start of a very lean spell for McLaren ? They've lost Hamilton, Paddy Lowe and Vodafone are bailing at the end of the year. The car is cat, Button will win a few races in a decent car but won't ever be WDC again, and noone really knows how good Perez might be.

Thought the same when Lewis left, hearing them talk about using last years car aint a good sign.
    Cant see Button or perez gettin a performance out of a a bad car like Lewis could.
    Remember Gary Anderson saying at their launch how the car looked a good step forward, how wrong was he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

I remember last season how poor Ferrari were in Australia so it is a bit early too write off McLaren but they have a bi task in front of them. Williams and Sauber had massively disappointing weekends too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ratedR

lolie wrote: »
    Cant see Button or perez gettin a performance out of a a bad car like Lewis could.

Yep, this is key.

Look what Alonso did with Ferrari last year for instance. Without a driver of that caliber I really think McLaren are in for a really poor season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

Remember Gary Anderson saying at their launch how the car looked a good step forward, how wrong was he?

Gary can spot mostly aerodynamics changes which is one part of the whole package.

Well you can see also if suspension is push or pull rod style but can't know anything about optimization of the same. Quite a few important bits are under the hood actually.. so I prefer to listen to other drivers if they had opinion - i think it was Gutierrez who told seriously that Lotus looks the best planted to the ground when he drove behind them during winter testing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

I have my first article for the Australian GP up... an analysis of the team mate battles. Have a read if you can, would love feedback.

F1Pad Team Mate Battles

Also, quite a few people were wrong about McLaren due to their pace in Jerez. What no one knew, until this weekend, was that the pace was due to 'unrealistic' ride height thanks to the factory fitting a suspension part backwards.

http://adamcooperf1.com/2013/03/16/how-a-factory-mistake-made-mclaren-unrealistically-fast-in-jerez-test/

Hopefully for them it is just a suspension issue and with more track time will come the solution. Button averaged 1.4 seconds a lap slower than Kimi today, that's a hell of a lot of time to find.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Lewis did very well, I'd say he's a very happy bunny today with 5th place

He did a great job and the result was much better than he expected.

I was worried when I saw Nico retire from the race due to unreliability in his Mercedes, but thankfully Lewis had no issues.

Roll on Sepang :)

• Advertisement

Mercedes seem to be roughly where they were last year, hopefully they dont fall behind in development.
    F1 needs Lewis fightin near the front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,385 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Some technical analysis from the weekend from gary anderson

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/21821853

Mercedes seem to be roughly where they were last year, hopefully they dont fall behind in development.
    F1 needs Lewis fightin near the front.

What I will be looking out for on this years Merc is:

1: How it performs on its tyres.

2: Reliability.

3: Rate of development throughout the season.

I'd say R3 or R4 will be where we see the real representative results.

So far it's just trying to get on top of grappling with the tyres, so it will be a while before the dev catches up.

On the story of Merc, I don't think their rate of development will be any quicker this year, but that is because they have started in a much better position than last year; front wing is innovative multi element, coke-bottle and coanda are working well.

What I'm interested in is how teams will integrate the front end vents and passive secondary DRS in races.

_rebelkid wrote: »
    On the story of Merc, I don't think their rate of development will be any quicker this year, but that is because they have started in a much better position than last year; front wing is innovative multi element, coke-bottle and coanda are working well.

I saw a thing that said that this car is Aldo Costa's work and he will work on it for its lifetime. Meanwhile, Geoff Willis is working solely on the 2014 car. It explains the talent acquisition and turns them into a McLaren style outfit (where, until recently, one car was designed by Paddy Lowe and the next by Tim Goss). Now if they can just avoid 'resource holes' like last years double drs, that suck in inordinate amounts of time and money, they should be able to develop this car much more effectively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭403 Forbidden

I'd say R3 or R4 will be where we see the real representative results.

So far it's just trying to get on top of grappling with the tyres, so it will be a while before the dev catches up.

What I'm interested in is how teams will integrate the front end vents and passive secondary DRS in races.

Agree fully with this, its all about learning the tyres, and with Pirelli confirming that they will be using the new P Zero Orange hard compound, things may get interesting in Malaysia.

Is it too early to judge the tyres?. The track temp was very cold (15 degrees I think the BBC said) so well outside what they would normally expect. If you look Sutil's race from when he put on the super softs to when di Resta was told to hold position he started out very quick for a few laps then went off a cliff (I think he lost 5 seconds to di Resta on one lap), but then they came back very well. In the end he was only about 7 tenths off di Resta. If the track temp was a more normal say 24 to 30 degrees I wonder if they would have lasted better.

Also, looking at the final result, top marks to Bianchi in the Marussia. Ended a lap ahead of Chilton and the Caterhams and on the same lap as Bottas and Gutierrez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,462 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I dont buy the whole idea of mclaren having a component upside down in winter testing.
    Surely setting up the car they would have found if it had an illegal ride height or whatever.

Agree fully with this, its all about learning the tyres, and with Pirelli confirming that they will be using the new P Zero Orange hard compound, things may get interesting in Malaysia.

They've made a good choice for KL, orange has very high working range, whereas medium has a low working range. And the orange hard tyres are 0.4/5s quicker than last year, making them closer to last years medium.

Should be a good GP, temps will be what is expected, and here's hoping the weather stays dry :)

Should be a good GP, temps will be what is expected, and here's hoping the weather stays dry :)

I hope it will be a dry weekend in Sepang too. I don't like when there is a wet Saturday and a dry Sunday or vice versa.

• Advertisement

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    I hope it will be a dry weekend in Sepang too. I don't like when there is a wet Saturday and a dry Sunday or vice versa.

Latest weather reports looks like wet Fri practice, dry qualy and a storm for the race on Sun.

Latest weather reports looks like wet Fri practice, dry qualy and a storm for the race on Sun.

Which site is that? I've been checking AccuWeather and its been saying dry but cloudy on Friday/Saturday and "Maybe a shower". Temps in the low 30's.

Hopefully not a storm, don't want 2009 all over again.

Weekend forecast for the Malaysian Grand Prix.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    My thoughts about the weekend:
    • Massa is back to his best but is doomed to be a number 2
    • Alonso body language was very positive
    • Tyres are going to dominate the season -in a bad way in my opinion
    • Is Grosjean being too safe in races now?
    • Sutil`s drive demonstrated the benefit of going for exp over youth

Unfortunately for massa unless he can pull a gap on alonso he's screwed.
    The super soft tyres were a joke on sunday, not a fan of them at all.
    Sutil done good alright but Bianchi proved he's more deserving of an F1 seat than the guys next to him.m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Harcrid

mickdw wrote: »
    I dont buy the whole idea of mclaren having a component upside down in winter testing.
    Surely setting up the car they would have found if it had an illegal ride height or whatever.

Have to say I thought the same thing myself. Seems a bit strange.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

ottostreet wrote: »
    I have my first article for the Australian GP up... an analysis of the team mate battles. Have a read if you can, would love feedback.

F1Pad Team Mate Battles

Hiya, good read.
    Only gripe for me is that I find it hard to read over a black background.
    LIGHTNING wrote: »
    My thoughts about the weekend:
    • Massa is back to his best but is doomed to be a number 2
    • Alonso body language was very positive
    • Tyres are going to dominate the season -in a bad way in my opinion
    • Is Grosjean being too safe in races now?
    • Sutil`s drive demonstrated the benefit of going for exp over youth

Just how good was Sutils performance for you as a racer yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Hiya, good read.
    Only gripe for me is that I find it hard to read over a black background.

Cheers for the feedback, yep, I had the same opinion to start off with the site, but we agreed to wait and see how many people would have issues with the black background. So far, it's only me and you! We're going to leave it for a while and see how it goes. Hope it doesn't put you off reading other articles in the future!

Advertisement