Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mad Men Season 5 [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Really loved this season but found the finale disappointing.

I wish it wouldn't always have to be brought back around to Don. There's a whole bevy of great characters yet it always works its way back to Don. This worked for the first season or two because his background was still a mystery and we were just learning how much of a 'self made man' he really is. It feels a bit like his arc has run its course now. Bringing it back to him likely resuming the role of cheating husband just seems tired. Also, if that means they're relegating Megan to a Betty 2 role then that's a complete waste of a great character.

Mad Men has occasionally veered towards the all-style-no-substance line and it did it here for sure. The Bond theme as Don walks away?! Thought it was cringeworthy. Him being constantly reinforced as 'cool' is problematic, as it glosses over some of the many questionable aspects of his character. I always remember that horrible scene where he threatens Bobbie Barrett in Season 2 and think - that's the same guy we're watching now. Really unsettling. I liked that they were making him seem weaker this season, feeling threatened by Ginsberg, his successful pitch actually being down to Joan selling herself, etc. It seems like they backtracked on this a bit in this episode, which is disappointing, it was a good place to go with him.

But yeah, so many good characters, screen time is wasted on Don.

Could fall in to the overly stylish category too but I got a kick out of that wide shot of them in the new offices too. Very nice.

I'd be very surprised if they did this. She is one of the few people around that has stood up to Don. Most of the guys in the office are scared shítless of him (with the exception of Roger, Cooper and Ginsburg).

For her to walk away from SCDP and try her hand at acting like she did shows that she's not afraid of what he wants.

Betty was a totally different character. She was useless. All she did was sit around all day in the house with the kids. I can't see Megan being as naive if Don does go down the affairs road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Mad Men has occasionally veered towards the all-style-no-substance line and it did it here for sure. The Bond theme as Don walks away?! Thought it was cringeworthy.

I thought the song was perfect and the montage that ran parallel to the (great) lyrics was very well done. I don't see what Bond has to do with it at all, it's a great, great song and used well here to wrap things up and raise questions about the season to come.

You only live twice
    Or so it seems
    One life for yourself,
    One for your dreams
    You drift thru the years
    And life seems tame
    'Till one dream appears,
    Love is it's name
    And love is a stranger
    Who'll beckon you on

Don't think of the danger,
    Or the stranger is gone
    This dream is for you
    So pay the price
    Let one dream come true
    You only live twice
    And love is a stranger
    Who'll beckon you on
    Don't think of the danger,
    Or the stranger is gone
    This dream is for you
    So pay the price
    Make one dream come true,
    You only live twice

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

I'd be very surprised if they did this. She is one of the few people around that has stood up to Don. Most of the guys in the office are scared shítless of him (with the exception of Roger, Cooper and Ginsburg).

Yeah you're probably right actually. I guess it would make Don reverting to his old ways less of a lazy move, as she'd be calling him out on it all the time and that would create more conflict. But she seemed to be settling for less than she wanted in that final scene... I don't know, will have to wait and see!
    leakyboots wrote: »
    I thought the song was perfect and the montage that ran parallel to the (great) lyrics was very well done. I don't see what Bond has to do with it at all, it's a great, great song and used well here to wrap things up and raise questions about the season to come.

I can see how the song has relevance as a song in its own right but you hear the first few chords and you think of Bond, there's no escaping it, it's a cultural icon I suppose. I think they used it quite purposefully there too, aligning Don with the Bond type character; smooth talking, unflappable, a hit with the ladies. It's all a bit tired and hackneyed and overlooking loads of stuff so it annoyed me. Just seemed overly stylish for the sake of it. Even the way the shot was set up, him striding away... The montage after I have no problem with, just that shot where he walks away from Megan on the set in the studio. Seemed a bit vapid. Maybe it's a small point to be taking issue with, but it stood out.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I can see how the song has relevance as a song in its own right but you hear the first few chords and you think of Bond, there's no escaping it,

Really, I hear it and I get Robbie fuçking Williams! I've had Millennium in my head since Monday.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,796 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

if you can't pick up on the substance of that scene its not their fault its howed him being cold more then cool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,444 ✭✭✭✭Penn

iguana wrote: »
    Really, I hear it and I get Robbie fuçking Williams! I've had Millennium in my head since Monday.:mad:

I hear it and I get Diamonds are Forever, which is admittedly closer, but still wrong.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Penn wrote: »
    I hear it and I get Diamonds are Forever, which is admittedly closer, but still wrong.

Millennium samples You Only Live Twice very, very heavily. It has the same opening, which is also the chorus of Millennium.

iguana wrote: »
    Penn wrote: »

Millennium samples You Only Live Twice very, very heavily. It has the same opening, which is also the chorus of Millennium.

Sorry, I meant closer in terms of Bond theme and era. As soon as the music hit in Mad Men, I instantly thought Diamonds Are Forever, and now I still do each time I rewatch the scene even though I know it's not it

http://www.digitalspy.ie/ustv/s157/mad-men/news/a395636/mad-men-creator-matthew-weiner-confirms-peggy-olsens-future.html
    Peggy
    will be back next season.
    Should make it interesting showing the contrasts between the two companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Finished season 5, I hate Megan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,887 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Starts on RTE 2 on Friday the 7th of September at 9.55pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

9.55pm? Thought good shows were strictly banned from being aired before midnight on RTE :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Starts on RTE 2 on Friday the 7th of September at 9.55pm

Season 6, or a rerun of 5?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Feathers wrote: »
    Season 6, or a rerun of 5?
    Well AMC are unlikely to give RTÉ the first showing of Season 6.
    Has Season 6 even started shooting yet? No doubt Matt Weiner will have to have his customary months long standoff with the AMC bosses while he argues for another few 00's to be added to his wages to the detriment of every other show on AMC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Well AMC are unlikely to give RTÉ the first showing of Season 6.
    Has Season 6 even started shooting yet? No doubt Matt Weiner will have to have his customary months long standoff with the AMC bosses while he argues for another few 00's to be added to his wages to the detriment of every other show on AMC.

You never know ;)

Just been so long since s5 finished, I wasn't sure if season 6 was starting yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Only recently finished watching all of Mad Men, and haven't gotten a chance to post about how awesome it is! :D

F*cking love it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Some great BTS pics. :)

6886008014_fd4e6ae561_b.jpg

6886010486_bf0e5f36b1_b.jpg

7032107519_c66a49fbe0_b.jpg

More

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

No sky atlantic, had to wait for rte to show season 5 so apologies for being the johnny-come-lately. Have to say, 6 episodes in and this season is feckin' brilliant so far. Last night Roger dropped acid which produced one of the best tripped out sequences I've ever seen. The epsiode as a whole though was magnificent, man this show is head and shoulders above anything else. I know a lot of people rate homeland but madmen makes homeland look like a Radio Telefis na heireann production.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

tunguska wrote: »
    No sky atlantic, had to wait for rte to show season 5 so apologies for being the johnny-come-lately. Have to say, 6 episodes in and this season is feckin' brilliant so far. Last night Roger dropped acid which produced one of the best tripped out sequences I've ever seen. The epsiode as a whole though was magnificent, man this show is head and shoulders above anything else. I know a lot of people rate homeland but madmen makes homeland look like a Radio Telefis na heireann production.
    Yep,great stuff.I guessed that it was inevitable that in this series one of the main characters would drop acid.I was surprised that it was Rodger I thought it might be Peggy with her boho journo friends.

AMC released a promo poster for Season 6.

Only four weeks to go.

c47e5d27a6599c60f09fc0903a02a72c.png?1363044631

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,915 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Game of Thrones and Mad Men every week for a couple of months soon :D

Thargor wrote: »
    Game of Thrones and Mad Men every week for a couple of months soon :D

And just as I start my placement. Don't know where I'll find the time to watch the episodes every week. Could be catching up at the very end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Interesting poster. Taking it very literally, Don is walking away from Madison Avenue and Pete. Could he leave the company?

Is that Pete? Looks like Don to me, i.e. he's trying to go in two different directions. Same narrative applies though; he may be leaving the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,915 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Dave! wrote: »
    Is that Pete? Looks like Don to me, i.e. he's trying to go in two different directions. Same narrative applies though; he may be leaving the company.
    This, no way is that Pete, Id be 90% sure its another Don.

Article about the creator here, they tracked down a 75 year old ad-man to do it properly with acrylic paint.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2013/mar/11/mad-men-new-series-new-hire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Its defiantly don. maybe hes gonna go skitzo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Yep, I'd say two Dons

I think it's definitely two Dons.

The one in the black suit looks to be holding a woman's hand, presumably Megan. The one in the grey suit has the briefcase.

The first thing that popped into my mind was a separation of the business-life and personal-life of Don. Not sure what they would do with that though.

Then there's the plane and the cops. So much happening in the poster. I know full well that I won't be able to guess what the hell they're going to do. I can't wait to see it unfold though.

Maybe a reference to the 'two' Don Drapers, i.e. Dick Whitman, and the legal fallout from that?

• Advertisement

Just noticed the Don walking towards the pic (the wrong way in relation to the One Way sign) is holding a woman's hand, the one walking away (towards the skyscrapers) is carrying a briefcase.

Something to do with his career vs personal life? His personal life with Megan is going the wrong way (as we saw in the season finale when he looked to be going back to his womanising ways) and he becomes more involved in his career (which he hadn't been as involved in last season as he normally would be) and starts becoming more successful (now that they got Jaguar, bigger office, probably get Ken's father-in-law's business)

Advertisement