Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mad Men Season 5 [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

God, that was heartbreaking.

I thought it was fitting that Joan was the one to find Lane and that she instinctively knew what had happened, it's a pity their last exchange was less than pleasant.

Sally is going from strength to strength, I just love her character. She's trying so hard not to care about Betty and be "cool" like Megan and her friends but at the end of the day, she is just a kid who needed her mother. I really don't like Betty this season. She was nice towards the end because she likes being #1 but she was horribly bitchy at the start of the episode.

I think both Sally and Glen (sp?) are quite Holden-esque, Glen moreso.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,230 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I actually think Don was quite fair to Lane. It would have been different if he had uncovered it himself; that it was Bert complicated matters. Either the truth was going to come out or Don was going to have to take responsibility for writing that cheque. Don offered Lane a way out, a chance to start again, without involving the authorities or being fired. The fact that Lane instead chose suicide is telling. It demonstrates just how difficult starting over is. Don did it once, maybe twice if you count his marriage (such as it is) to Megan, but can he do it again?

Have to agree with that - thought Don was calm and reasonable given the circumstances, and Lane's attempts at pity were actually quite pathetic. For a character who has done horrible things over the years, there's noticeable efforts this season of him trying to better himself.

Alas, every time he tries - whether it's trying to stop Joan or help Lane - he's stopped short by the world he's engrained himself in. Not only is it so challenging to start over, redemption may just be even harder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

It might sound a little morbid but the way they tackled the suicide I found refreshing. They didn't romantasize it and showed it in a very real light. The partners taking down the body and the way it looked so constricted and suffered in death... It hit home the harshness of the act and the muteness it brings to people once they realise something grave has happened.

Don reminded me weirdly of Caesar in this episode with his actions. The way he allowed Lane to leave the firm with a resignation rather than firing him outright showed Don's "mercy". His pitch showed his burning ambition still to rule all that he can within his control and to inspire people with his ambition. Then finally the scene with Glen where Don suggested he could "grant" the boy an opportunity to do something that would make him happy if he would only ask for it, so smoothly fitted together with Lance's Bonus and how if he had asked Don for his bonus things could have turned out much better for him.

The episode gut wrenchingly illustrated the power of Don's actions on people. The power for in one instance a boy can finally realise a life long dream in driving a car while on the other hand his power forces the resignation of Lance which provides the poor man with the ammunition to realise in his head that this life has been just too hard for him.

Very good, but sad episode this week. Don's storyline is getting stronger and stronger which can only be a good thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mrkite77

From reddit:

iEvucntExH6Rk.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Good interview with Jared Harris on the episode:

http://www.vulture.com/2012/06/mad-mens-jared-harris-interview.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Evil episode. I got a surge of hope as Lane sat into the car when I realised "this piece of crap is not going to start." I thought he might get a new lease of life, somehow use his honorary position at the AAAA to leverage a visa extension and move on but alas no.

How blissfully clueless was his wife? "I wrote a cheque!"

Everything he said to Don after his firing was true - he'd ruined himself propping up the company with nothing in return but why could he not just come out and say that before it was too late?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,389 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The fact that his resignation letter was just a standard one (didn't know what Sterling was saying when he said Boilerplate, had to rewind a few times and then look up what it meant) is the real kicker. It is in essence his suicide note, and he chose to write just a standard resignation letter. I think that's almost what hurt Don the most. That was directed straight at him, even though Don was doing what he thought was best. He was willing to pay off Lane's debts and let him leave with dignity and his reputation intact, he just couldn't trust him enough to keep him in the company. The resignation letter though is a big "F*ck you" to Don though.

The last two episodes have been utterly fantastic though. Can't wait to see how they close off this season.

You'd think Weiner and co. might have had the most awkward Sally Draper moment with the masturbation episode, but this one probably tops it :pac:

Have to admit I found a 10 year old girl masturbating quite a bit more uncomfortable than a little bit of blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

So next Sunday will be it for another year (at least!), hoping for another humdinger.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

The highs and lows of Jaguar, own a beautiful thing that won't kill you. Could be a road safety ad.

Sad to see Lane go though. Not his biggest fan, but got extra points when he knocked Pete.

And Sally, after all her trying to be the rebel with Betty, just ran to her. Still not liking Creepy neighbour Glen.

One to go :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Barna77 wrote: »
    Still not liking Creepy neighbour Glen.

I think he's played by a poor actor who doesn't really bring much to the character. He's the weakest link on the show imo, but as Weiner's son he's bound to pop up every so often.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Ah FFS, now I'm just going to be depressed going to bed :( Knew it would happen but heart wrenching all the same. Watching a car crash in slow motion (well a Jaguar probably couldn't even do that right!).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Evil episode. I got a surge of hope as Lane sat into the car when I realised "this piece of crap is not going to start." I thought he might get a new lease of life, somehow use his honorary position at the AAAA to leverage a visa extension and move on but alas no.

I kinda laughed almost in relief as I thought, hurray, he's not going to kill himself.

I was quickly disabused of this notion when it cut to him at the type-writer and I realised he was quite determined to follow through.

I don't think I've ever been so cut up about a character dying in a show before, it almost brought a tear to my eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I liked the way it showed Don thinking he can control things, when in fact he can't. This doesn't sit well with him.

Lane's pleas of mercy were the act of a helpless man, Don didn't see it that way.

I liked the Sally Megan Betty triangle and how basic instincts take hold when your presented with a natural issue.

I like the way the characters are multidimensional and not all good guy bad guy.

Everyone's perception of what is right/wrong/fair is different, and we can all see their perspectives. I adore this show.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

What a fúcking show. I bit chunks out of my hand at different times. The scene with Lane in the car was both funny and terrible. I was just hoping that his wife would knock on the window and drag him back to bed.

I'm sad to see him gone. I really liked him. His stiff, perfect English behaviour was great in contrast to the likes of Roger. But of course he was well able to let go when he wanted to. I think the episode where he got drunk with Don was the turning point for his character. He really came into his own and tried to fit in more with his surroundings. He's also responsible for some of the funniest scenes in the show, one of which was his visit to the cinema.

And let's not forget that he managed to grab a cheeky kiss off of one of the best looking women in the world along the way.

tumblr_m52rzbqnK81qgows7.jpg

It'll be interesting to see where they go with it next year. They've lost two major characters in two weeks now. Hopefully we don't lose another one next week.

I expect Pete will continue his ascent up the ladder. Will he manage to get his name on the company now that Lane is dead? They can't continue to call it SCDP, or can they?

We could debate it for months and I'm certain that none of us would manage to correctly predict the outcome. I'm looking forward to next weeks episode. I'll have to treasure it. It could be a good while before we see another one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I think the scene where he fights Campbell has to be the best, most watchers of this show have been wanting someone to punch that twat since episode 1 :)

It was a clear indicator of his built up rage and anxiety too- I just love this show- I think I'm going to watch some of this series back before the finale.

The Joan Issue reminded me of the Sal situation with the Lucky Strike's exec son. Sal rejected his advances - they lost the contract and Sal was fired. Don couldn't see why Sal wouldn't do what's good for the company.

He seemed to offer Joan a way out though

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jossul1179

It'll be interesting to see where they go with it next year. They've lost two major characters in two weeks now. Hopefully we don't lose another one next week.

Lost 2 major character? Is Peggy not coming back? Is that confirmed that she is not in the next season?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

What was the remark make by Roger after opening Lane's letter? and meaning?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,950 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It was "boilerplate" as in the standard form letter that you'd print off and sign with none of Lane's own words. Kind of like when you get a boilerplate reference from a job that says "Person X worked here from date Y to date Z".

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Credit to Jon Hamm in the last two episodes. His reaction to Peggy last week and this week when he hears of Lane's suicide show why he's constantly up for acting awards.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,230 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

jossul1179 wrote: »
    Lost 2 major character? Is Peggy not coming back? Is that confirmed that she is not in the next season?

Not a chance they'd lose Peggy. She's second only to Don in terms of importance to the show.

Be interesting to see where they take her character-wise, but they almost certainly won't drop her like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,950 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The actor who played Pryce gave the impression in a recent interview that she was gone for good too. It would be a right shame alright, still a lot unresolved with her storylines and character development.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

jossul1179 wrote: »

Nothing has been confirmed. I'm merely going by what I know at the moment. They've lost her from the company as it is. This may mean that they try and bring in the other company into the next season, or that she gets fired from there and comes crawling back to SCDP.

Who knows.
    Stark wrote: »
    The actor who played Pryce gave the impression in a recent interview that she was gone for good too. It would be a right shame alright, still a lot unresolved with her storylines and character development.

I doubt he knows anything. The writers wouldn't let him know I'd say. Probably Jon Hamm and Elizabeth Moss are the only two actors that know.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,389 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think the fact that Jared Harris (Lane Pryce, only in the show since Season 3) has done a lot of interviews about leaving and Elizabeth Moss (Peggy, second in the show only to Don) has done no interviews that I'm aware of speaks volumes. I'd be shocked if she didn't even make an appearance in the final episode, even if it's just to show up at Lane's funeral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

One thing I like about the show is that characters can come in and out of the show periodically without a big focus on them, Freddy Rumsen being a prime example. I know none of the characters that have done this are central characters but I imagine Peggy would be back int he show at some point int he future.

I hope they don't have season 6 starting an episode with SCDP and then skipping over to see how Peggy is getting on int he place she moved to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Until the scene with Lane I was thinking it was all a bit meh and obvious (still fantastic but kind of obvious) but what a scene and bunch of scenes.

This series is up there with breaking bad, sopranos and lost. This season cements it there.

It has over arching scenes, episodes and season wide themes but it also has the little lines and bits of great acting and writing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

The finale tonight was interesting. I almost, almost felt sorry for Pete Campbell: seeing Beth again only to lose her like that and then see her husabnd on the train would definitely hurt.

The behaviour of Megan in getting her big break looks to be the time when Don starts to move away from her; his walking into black while "You only lived twice" played was very poetic.

Overall, I thought the Season was very good - personally I would rank Season 4 as the best because of episodes such as "The Suitcase" and "Chinese Wall". It really is an awesome show!

Advertisement