Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mad Men Season 5 [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Carbonara is also meant to be served without a sauce - but the majority of irish people eat it with cream

Definitely worth it without the cream

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

iguana wrote: »
    A small thing but it's really bothering me. Who the hell eats a plate of plain spaghetti? Was that a thing in the 60s? Hadn't they heard of tomato sauce, carbonara or, at a stretch, pesto?

I did back in college when I had nothing else to eat and I was trying to keep my money for cans. If I was feeling exotic I used to put a bit of BBQ sauce on the side of the plate and dip the pasta into it. Cheap but nice tasting dinner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I did back in college when I had nothing else to eat and I was trying to keep my money for cans. If I was feeling exotic I used to put a bit of BBQ sauce on the side of the plate and dip the pasta into it. Cheap but nice tasting dinner.

Plain pasta with Ballymaloe relish is also nice. Add cheap cheese for that continental twist :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,230 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Always a sign of a good episode when pasta pedanticism is one of the main criticisms :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Just seen that Jon Hamm will be on Graham Norton next week alongside Steve Coogan and Charlize Theron, sounds like it could be fun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

Just seen that Jon Hamm will be on Graham Norton next week alongside Steve Coogan and Charlize Theron, sounds like it could be fun!
    Back of the net!!

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

The end scene with Don and Peggy was great, shows how far their characters have come since Season 1. It sets up the final two episodes of the season nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Probably my favorite episode of Mad Men. After an initial slow start this has also proved to be up their with S1 and 2 in terms of quality

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Surely Joan gets a new title now that she's a partner in the firm - Head of Client Services maybe? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Great episode.
    Can't believe Peggy left. Well I can from her perspective but the idea that she won't be in it anymore or at least as often is a shock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Great episode.
    Can't believe Peggy left. Well I can from her perspective but the idea that she won't be in it anymore or at least as often is a shock.

I refuse to believe it. Wouldn't be the same show at all.

Meanwhile, the storyline with Joan was very sad really. She was a tough hardass in the first series, couldn't imagine that Joan stooping so low as this Joan...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Probably my favorite episode of Mad Men. After an initial slow start this has also proved to be up their with S1 and 2 in terms of quality

I agree, it was brillant. Jon Hamm's acting was probable the best I've seen from him in the entire series.

The fact that the episode focused more on Don's involvement with his work again and less with the relationship he has with his wife was a major plus for me. The scene with Peggy towards the end of the episode was intense and demonstrated I think how Don is unable to control his surroundings like he could in the past. Don realises this as well I think more so now than ever with the defiance of his wife to do as he pleases with regards to her acting career and Peggy the girl Don had built to be one of the best creative personel not willing to stay with Don, even after his best efforts.

The proposition for Joan was a great focal point, it helped to paint where peoples morals are positioned - Roger's ambivalence to the idea suprised me a little while Pete's cold and calculated assertiveness showed why he is such an interesting character to watch. I especially liked how they showed his caring for his child by reading a bedtime story while in work acting as the pimp to a seedy deal. Great character.

Just comparing Joan and Peggy in this episode I think illustrated the woman ideals from the past in Joan, who could be bought for the right price to please a mans desires while Peggy as the more progressive woman didn't have a price, she did what she felt was best for her, based on her terms.

It really was a great episode bring on the last two :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Peggy had a price too, 18/19k and a new beginning and betraying her mentor.

Joan had a higher price for a different "action" but it set her and her child up for life considering her husband is a complete wanker (he believes he is the father, this is the 60s in America) this is important and she needed to do it.
    Barna77 wrote: »
    Another thing... did they have road rules back then? Don was quite drunk, said he was driving and that's it, no questions asked.

In the 60's America it was like the 80's/90's in rural Ireland where drinking driving was the norm.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,230 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just astonishing television this week. That last scene must be amongst the all time great TV moments. Spine-tingling, heartbreaking stuff. Perfectly judged performances from Moss and Hamm - every single bit of history those two have had was beautifully revisited in that one conversation.

That was an obvious highpoint, but all the other plots were equally fulfilling. Apart from his outburst at Megan, you had to feel for Don this week - trying to stay loyal and morally righteous in a dog eat dog world. The little touch of revisiting his conversation with Joan from a new perspective was a wonderful one. Performances pitch perfect all around, and so many moments really sparkled (Ginsberg pitching his idea to Don, Joan's face during her 'night out'). And frankly I've never wanted to punch a fictional character quite as much as I wanted to punch Pete this week :P

Also, is it the first time since Season 1 or 2 the plot has resonated so closely with the advertisement idea being pitched? Mad Men's greatest trait is the way it ties every plot strand in an episode together in subtle, clever ways, and this week was one of the best.

What a great season this has been. Here's hoping the last two episodes can keep up this level of quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Just astonishing television this week. That last scene must be amongst the all time great TV moments. Spine-tingling, heartbreaking stuff. Perfectly judged performances from Moss and Hamm - every single bit of history those two have had was beautifully revisited in that one conversation.

Only Hamm was told to hold the hand kiss for that long, Moss didn't know it was coming. After reading that it makes the scene even more powerful in hindsight, so much of that chemistry and emotion was genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I'm kind of in shock. That was a lot to take in.

I do think that Pete's performance this week completely destroyed any sympathy I had for him.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

This was probably my favourite Mad Men episode ever, and I love the show. Just magnificent from start to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

It was a true horror movie moment when I realised Don was too late. Poor Joan. :( Pete I can understand. He's a slimy toad.

Lane Pryce I thought you had class. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

KerranJast wrote: »
    It was a true horror movie moment when I realised Don was too late. Poor Joan. :( Pete I can understand. He's a slimy toad.

Lane Pryce I thought you had class. :mad:

Lane already stole money from the company, if he'd had to extend the credit line again he'd have been rumbled big time. Also is Lane still fooling around with the black girl he had on the side last year?

Lane is still number one suspect to fall/throw himself down the lift, there's no way that the partners are not going to find out about his shenanigans by series end. And if he does go, Joan could easily take over his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Brilliant episode - just pure class. When I realised AMC funded Mad men over walking dead its obvious to see why!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Disappointing that the characters in a show I love are now happily increasing their profits by the whoring of one of their number, probably a realistic scenario, nevertheless disappointing :(. Was never hugely fond of Peggy but she did the right thing by leaving, that scene where Don literally threw money in her face was shocking, showed real contempt for her which defused the possible emotion from their final scene immensely for me. I think her smile at the end was great, she knows that she's moving into the future whereas the rest of them are stuck in the 40 or 50's attitudes wise.

Disappointing that the characters in a show I love are now happily increasing their profits by the whoring of one of their number, probably a realistic scenario
    Actually the problem I had with that was I didn't find it believable even within the chauvinistic Mad Men world.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Disappointing that the characters in a show I love are now happily increasing their profits by the whoring of one of their number, probably a realistic scenario
    Actually the problem I had with that was I didn't find it believable even within the chauvinistic Mad Men world.

Don, Roger, Pete and the old man are dispicble human beings by and large. So not a huge leap.

Don, Roger, Pete and the old man are dispicble human beings by and large. So not a huge leap.
    Not a huge leap in terms of fictional characters in a series that has moved from high class drama to high class soap opera.
    It's just not particularly believable that this could happen in the real world, even in the 60's is all I'm saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Sesudra

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Not a huge leap in terms of fictional characters in a series that has moved from high class drama to high class soap opera.
    It's just not particularly believable that this could happen in the real world, even in the 60's is all I'm saying.

I think this kind of thing has been seen happening since the series started, it's just that this was maybe the first time it was so open? Like, Sal turned the Lucky Strike guy down and lost his job, and the agency nearly lost the account over it.

What I found so awful about it was how we've seen that the women are only seen to have one thing to offer - their bodies. But Joan has so much more to offer than that but in the end, it still all came back down to her selling herself to a man in order to get ahead, with the full "support" of her co-workers :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Sesudra wrote: »

What I found so awful about it was how we've seen that the women are only seen to have one thing to offer - their bodies. But Joan has so much more to offer than that (

You cant say "women are only seen to have one thing to offer - their bodies." What about Peggy she succeeded on her own terms and ended the episode happy with her head held high in contrast to Joan who betrayed her moral code and now has to live with the shame. Maybe Joan doesn't have any more to offer according to Don "shes with the company 13 years" and is just pimped out with very little objection except from Don in order to get a car which might end up breaking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Anachrony

Apart from his outburst at Megan, you had to feel for Don this week - trying to stay loyal and morally righteous in a dog eat dog world.

Don is trying to "stay" morally righteous? I think you have to be something before you can stay it.

Anachrony wrote: »
    Don is trying to "stay" morally righteous? I think you have to be something before you can stay it.

This episode was one of the first times I've genuinely felt sorry for him. Sure, he's normally a bastard, but this season there's the impression he's trying to change his ways. But no, everyone just ****s him over time and time again, and his past decisions cannot escape him (not that he's immune to his more morally suspect traits either). Which makes for pretty heartbreaking viewing. The increasing amounts of outbursts in the last few episodes (against Megan, Peggy) show a genuine sense of frustration at the world around him. For the first time he was genuinely happy. But, alas, perhaps a doomed happiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Pete should die. :mad:

I couldn't believe how they sold Joan so easily, even Roger! You'd expect some objection from him... Only Don, who has treated women like a piece of furniture, really cared for her. And then they celebrate knowing what she had to do.

Brilliant how they synched the pitch and Joan's "night out", and how Don mentioned "behaviour".

But then that's how Megan gets her way too. She goes to him, they have sex and then drops the bomb. Was it only me thinking she was a bit uneasy when she was asked to turn around at the audition? Yeah, she should be nervous, but at the end it was her as an object... as Joan. Maybe I see things that aren't there :pac:

Peggy and Don's final scene was tv gold.

Poor Joan :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,389 ✭✭✭✭Penn

What an amazing episode. Really stunning.

The Joan/Jaguar stuff would have been enough to make it a great episode, but throwing in the Peggy stuff with her and Don's scene at the end.... Incredible.

Advertisement