Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best coffee in Dublin?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I have to say that I love McDonalds coffee.

If you consider the cost in particular, it definitely makes it a contender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

You two shouldn't be posting on this thread, Mcdonalds and Insomnia coffee ,there coffee must be laced with LSD if you think its the best in Dublin.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Everyone has an opinion and is entitled to air it, I've heard a lot of people praising mcDonalds coffee.

I've never had it but I presume they use some sort of bean to cup machine.

I was never a fan of insomnia, even before I discovered how good coffee could be.

To be honest at this stage I'd take the pepsi challenge with my own home made coffee over almost any cafe in Dublin.

You two shouldn't be posting on this thread, Mcdonalds and Insomnia coffee ,there coffee must be laced with LSD if you think its the best in Dublin.

Hahaha, never had it so have you?

It does actually taste good and I like it for some other factors that go beyond taste too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

Hahaha, never had it so have you?

It does actually taste good and I like it for some other factors that go beyond taste too.

I did once ,i was desperate for some coffee and nowhere near was open.
    It was manky to say the least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 reverselogic

My favourite place for Coffee in Dublin is Lemon on Dawson Street. Delicious coffee.

I've been to 3FE once, and I find their espresso to be unusually sweet. Some people might like this I guess...

I did once ,i was desperate for some coffee and nowhere near was open.
    It was manky to say the least.

Well if you've tried it then fair play for trying it before bashing it.
    But as far as I'm concerned, it tastes great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

....and I like it for some other factors that go beyond taste too.
    That will be the over roasting and scalding temp of the water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

A vote for Cup on Nassau St, the use Has Bean Beans, lovely staff and a large coffee is good value at 2.50 !

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭VictorRomeo

Tiesan Cafe on Harrington Road is my favourite these days.... It's consistant too and that's the most important thing in my books.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭gavquinn

Itsa bagel in Ranelagh is my spot now. Strong as fook, smoky, deep, rounded flavour. Nice milk, never scalding hot, and the dude in charge of the coffee is sound. Nice as if not nicer than Butlers. Dunno if it's every Itsa bagel that do it that nice, but they do it great there. 2.70 cappuccino/latte 12oz. 5 cup loyalty card, aul Nick's there in Ranelagh should know they've competition now!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I have a soft spot for the coffee at Panem on Lower Ormond Quay, just across the Millennium Bridge. Very nice pastries too.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 1 croninjj

My thoughts on this:
    Agree 3FE is best. V friendly and knowledgeable. Have only been to the GCS store
    Urbun in Cabinteely does a superb latte and lovely spot. Barista there was 2nd or something in Irish championship
    Carluccios in Dawson St never disappoints
    Anywhere that serves: http://www.badgeranddodo.ie/site/ this coffee is great but they don't have a coffee outlet themselves apart from a trolley at the Douglas market in Cork on Saturdays
    Insomnia is a big NO-NO as are most of those chains, eg Gloria Jeans etc

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Charleslando

Third Space Cafe in Smithfield does amazing coffee and its a non-profit cafe!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,516 ✭✭✭blue note

Where's this 3FE place? I must try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭daithi09

Humble bean on Aungier (maybe georges) street is pretty delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mcofferon

croninjj wrote: »
    Anywhere that serves: http://www.badgeranddodo.ie/site/ this coffee is great but they don't have a coffee outlet themselves apart from a trolley at the Douglas market in Cork...

FWIW
    Urbun in Cabinteely (and Cloudberrys across the junction from Urbun) sell B&D beans or ground, offering quite a few varieties.
    And if you're worried about Caffiene, their Decaf is the best I've ever tasted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭donnacha

Mcofferon wrote: »
    FWIW
    Urbun in Cabinteely (and Cloudberrys across the junction from Urbun) sell B&D beans or ground, offering quite a few varieties.
    And if you're worried about Caffiene, their Decaf is the best I've ever tasted

That Urbun Cafe looks pretty nice! I dropped by yesterday and managed to grab a bag of B&D beans. Shelf price was pretty much the same as online price and they had been roasted the day before - result! Now I'm just hoping that B&D have changed some of their roast profiles as I could start buying beans from this place on a regular basis when I'm running low. Haven't tried B&D for a longtime but my past experience was that they tended towards pretty dark roast profiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mcofferon

donnacha wrote: »
    That Urbun Cafe looks pretty nice!

The food there is also to be recommended, locally sourced and home baked where appropriate. I curse my diet every time I pass :)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭mandarin

donnacha wrote: »
    That Urbun Cafe looks pretty nice! I dropped by yesterday and managed to grab a bag of B&D beans. Shelf price was pretty much the same as online price and they had been roasted the day before - result! Now I'm just hoping that B&D have changed some of their roast profiles as I could start buying beans from this place on a regular basis when I'm running low. Haven't tried B&D for a longtime but my past experience was that they tended towards pretty dark roast profiles.

Don't think B&D would agree with you...
    "...generally as a rule, we do not dark roast. Dark roasting starts to destroy the characteristics of the bean and the coffee takes on the profile of the roast itself."
    http://www.badgeranddodo.ie/site/services/21/wholesale-accounts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭macgabhs

Nope I wouldn't agree either I have a subscription with B&D since Christmas and do not remember any particularly dark roasts. I'm like you and do not like dark roasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Gotham Knight

blue note wrote: »
    Where's this 3FE place? I must try it.

3fe are on Abbey St and Grand Canal St.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Is the abbey street one still there? Site doesnt list it but I'm working very nearby so that'd rock to pop round for a proper coffee in the afternoon.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

ED E wrote: »
    Is the abbey street one still there? Site doesnt list it but I'm working very nearby so that'd rock to pop round for a proper coffee in the afternoon.

Yep, it's still in the Twisted Pepper.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

IRLConor wrote: »
    Yep, it's still in the Twisted Pepper.

Never been in during the day :pac:

Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭trap4

'Twas my first time in Coffee Angel (South Anne Street) and I have to say it's up there with 3FE,.. maybe even better. Karl made me an amazing filter coffee that really opened my eyes to the breadth of flavours (I'm a newb who generally goes for lattes, cappucinnos).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭narwhalthe

Try Roasted Brown above Irish Film Institute on Curved Street (I think that's the street). They have great coffee. Tried a few of their baked things too which were delish. I go to them and 3FE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Another vote for Roasted Brown.

Been in there a few times over the last few weeks and the coffee is consistently good!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭folamh

trap4 wrote: »
    'Twas my first time in Coffee Angel (South Anne Street) and I have to say it's up there with 3FE,.. maybe even better. Karl made me an amazing filter coffee that really opened my eyes to the breadth of flavours (I'm a newb who generally goes for lattes, cappucinnos).
    Seconded. Best coffee I've ever tasted, to be honest. Pity it's only a stop-off place. They could do loads of business if they expanded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

folamh wrote: »
    They could do loads of business if they expanded.

Ahem... http://coffeeangel.com/locations/locations/

Advertisement