Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notes etc. - Do not post copyright material

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 401 ✭✭Leinsterr

I don't understand why other 3rd years put notes up on this. Your notes should help you and you only. They are meant to give you an edge against everyone else. Your work is just being handed out to others. Everyone is competing against each other as there is a strict results curve that must be met each year. You're basically ensuring that you won't do well. It's your loss.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Other people's notes are of no use to anyone.
    The only way to benefit from notes is to make your own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Misstscra

They give you something to work on if your teacher is bad and if they want to give them out then that is there own choice.

Does anyone have anyone subh milis notes or sample ansers and dioltas an mhada rua

i am doing that too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭multimate

Any chance of people in history on renaissance outside italy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

multimate wrote: »
    Any chance of people in history on renaissance outside italy
    Get the Shortcuts to Success Book! It has brilliant People in History Answers, I think it does Shakespeare :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 gavjawb

Hey I need a little help, I've got a question that I dont know how to answer? Its in Irish and means.. why do you think subh milis is good?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Aoife78

Anyone have a good timpiste essay? One you can just slot in and change for the actual essay?Much appreciated :D

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Leopard_Star

gavjawb wrote: »
    Hey I need a little help, I've got a question that I dont know how to answer? Its in Irish and means.. why do you think subh milis is good?
    Sorry cant help you,I decided to go with ordinary level so I can put more concentration into more important subjects(although my teacher wasnt happy I took ordinary) so when I was rewriting all my notes I threw subh millis away knowing i wont need it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 chipinchaw

Does anyone have notes on World war 2? Mainly focusing on Hitler's rise to power, foreign policies and the war itself (tactics, etc)?

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

Ok, some quick notes on how to form Ionic bonds..... (Bond between metals and non-metals caused by electrostatic attraction, or the needs to lose or gain electrons.)

First, draw a bohr model of your two elements, you will notice that one has (usually) one or two electrons on its outer orbit/shell, this means that the other will have 7/8 in its outer shell because, the first element which has 2 'extra' electrons, wants to give them to the one in need of one or two electrons.

Now, if an electron gives away/loses an electron, the charge becomes +1 for each electron lost, so if an atom loses 2 electrons, its charge is +2.

Vice versa with the receiver, the atom receiving the electrons is getting a positive charge, -1 for each electron received, so if an atom receives 3 electrons, it's charge is -3 for example,

What I like to do is, draw another bohr model of each, except introducing electrons lost and received, so both atoms will have a full outer orbit/shell.

Draw square brackets around each of the refined borh models, call the element and ION, so instead of sodium atom, it becomes a sodium ion, then do the charge and you're done!

Remember, Atoms can have two electrons in shell 1, and eight in all the rest.

Here is a picture, credit it to Revision world.
    I'm not sure if i'm allowed to post links to images, apologies if it's against the rules! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 soniaxox

does anyone have any music notes ??.. thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭positivealf

Man i love you guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭The Union Forever

soniaxox wrote: »
    does anyone have any music notes ??.. thanks!

I have a load. I can post some up for you this weekend if ya like.

I have a load. I can post some up for you this weekend if ya like.
    That'll be great .. thank you! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭The Union Forever

That'll be great .. thank you! :D

No problem, is there anything in particular you want?

No problem, is there anything in particular you want?
    Well, I find the composing question quite difficult (a phrase set to a given opening) and the dictation question, so if you have any notes to make those questions easier that would be great. I doubt that you would have done the same genre as me for your choice works but if happened to have done jazz in the popular tradition, notes on that will be great.Some definitions of musical features/terms, I was looking through exam papers and some of the terms I did not have a clue what they were. Just anything that you find practical and essential to know, I really hate music theory so any notes to help make it that bit easier is great.
    I don't want you to feel pressured into putting the notes up as soon as possible,it's absolutely fine to just put them up in your own time and thanks again! :)

I don't do music but I do make it so I know what I need to know, what do you do in music, obviously chords like triads, 7th chords etc etc..?

That's the question that alot of people in my year ask (only five people in my music class) well you'd do things like backing chords and dictation ,where you will you have a piano playing and basically have to figure out the rhythm and the melody you'd also have to know your triads like whats the chord of IV in D major and you'd be given a phrase and you have to complete ... the course needs updating badly, thats one of the reasons its a big turn off ... I love music but just not the class but then again its down to the way its taught.. weirdly enough , we actually never get to play or listen to music just read from a textbook and try to comprehend

• Advertisement

That's the question that alot of people in my year ask (only five people in my music class) well you'd do things like backing chords and dictation ,where you will you have a piano playing and basically have to figure out the rhythm and the melody you'd also have to know your triads like whats the chord of IV in D major and you'd be given a phrase and you have to complete ... the course needs updating badly, thats one of the reasons its a big turn off ... I love music but just not the class but then again its down to the way its taught.. weirdly enough , we actually never get to play or listen to music just read from a textbook and try to comprehend

So you're expected to know all the Scales? Even Harmonic minor and melodic minor as well as natural, major, pentatonic, chromatic? Seems like a bit much :P

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Bluestrike

For music all you really have to know is C,G and D major in treble and F and B flat major in bass, and thats really all for Dictation and Backing chords and stuff, its pretty easy really

No, sorry not all the scales just the basic ones, my music teacher didn't mention any other scale.. yeah Backing chords is easy .. its really just the dictation where I seem to struggle, I can get the rhythm just not the melody part.. :/

No, sorry not all the scales just the basic ones, my music teacher didn't mention any other scale.. yeah Backing chords is easy .. its really just the dictation where I seem to struggle, I can get the rhythm just not the melody part.. :/

Recreating melodies is very difficult for me :P Definitely one of the harder things in music

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Bluestrike

Just try to hum out the tune to yourself after it plays, and during try humming to yourself the note before then the note played and then go from the note before and keep going up in a scale until you reach the note was played, get the rhythm from 1-3 and after that try and do the melody, dont do the rhythm to 4 and then have one hearing to try and get melody
    Another useful thing is listen to notes played on piano so if you have one hit middle c and work your way up and down, If not, then try listen to it on youtube or something
    The dictation is usually in step with a few jumps but the jumps are never that big, usually 3 or 4 at most but i hav seen jumps of 5 or 6. Im ok at it but i guess i can just do it naturally and cant really explain how i do it. Hope it helps

Thanks for the tips! :) , wish I didn't spend too much time on the rhythm in the mocks. Yeah, I guess some people can grasp it better than others. I have a keyboard at home but never really use it , I guess I'll start using it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 laurarxo

just after stumbling across this thread now...
    I have some reasonable notes if anyone wants them?

English
    Dulce Et Decorum Est
    Base Details
    He wishes for the Clothes of Heaven
    The Early Purges
    Digging
    Old Man
    Blackberry Picking

Irish
    Telifis
    Duilleoga ar na Life
    Modh Conniolach

History
    Best ones at the moment are Irish History, Cumann na nGaedhael, Northern Ireland etc.
    20/20 people in history on Martin Luther

Spanish
    All of the tenses

any other requests I'll have a look and see what I can find..

I'd appreciate if anyone has any notes on
    Irish an tAdh and Spás :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

laurarxo wrote: »
    just after stumbling across this thread now...
    I have some reasonable notes if anyone wants them?

English
    Dulce Et Decorum Est
    Base Details
    He wishes for the Clothes of Heaven
    The Early Purges
    Digging
    Old Man
    Blackberry Picking

Irish
    Telifis
    Duilleoga ar na Life
    Modh Conniolach

History
    Best ones at the moment are Irish History, Cumann na nGaedhael, Northern Ireland etc.
    20/20 people in history on Martin Luther

Spanish
    All of the tenses

any other requests I'll have a look and see what I can find..

I'd appreciate if anyone has any notes on
    Irish an tAdh and Spás :)
    I'd love some notes on He wishes for the cloths of heaven an Early Purges :D Pleease! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9 laurarxo

The Early Purges - Seamus Heaney

Analysis

''I was six when I first saw kittens drown''
    A harsh, grim opening. The young child is traumatised when he witnesses the killing of helpless, innocent kittens. He is shocked at the heartless, cruel attitude of Dan Taggart, the man who kills the kittens with no emotion, no conscience. The imagery is very vivid and emotive.

The kittens are portrayed in a sympathetic way. We feel sorry for them when we hear the ''frail metal sound'' of their ''soft paws, scraping like mad''. We imagine their fear and their panic as they desperately try to escape from the bucket. The image of the water being pumped in and the dead kittens floating ''like wet gloves'' is a disturbing one. Dan Taggarts attitude is very callous and hard. He seems to feel no emotion and calls them ''scraggy wee s***s'' and he says ''sure isn't it better for them now'' . The six year old child is disturbed and frightened by what he has seen and heard. He can't understand how the kittens could be better off now - He can see that they suffered greatly.

In stanza 5 Heaney says that ''''the fear came back'' any time he saw Dan killing an animal. As a child, he felt that this was wrong.

In stanzas 6 and 7, however, his attitude changes. We can see an adults view point here. As he has grown up, he has changed his mind. His attitude is now the same as Dan's. ''I just shrug, 'Bloody Pups'. It makes sense'' Heaney says that people from the town don't understand farm life '''they consider death unnatural''. But Heaney now knows that ''on well run farms, pests have to be kept down'' .Heaney has shown in this poem that different people from different backgrounds often see things in a different way . Your beliefs depend on your background and your childhood experiences.

Themes
    • Nature
    • Animals
    • Saddness
    • Death
    • Childhood
    • Growing Up
    • Attitudes
    • Changes

Techniques

* This poem is lyrical and musical. The assonance, alliteration, sibilance and rhyme make it sound smooth, easy and natural. This reflects the farmers attitude. Death is natural, it is part of life.

* In stanza 5, there is no end-rhyme. This indicates a change. Time has passed, Heaney is growing older and his attitudes are changing. This lack of rhyme jolts us and makes us stop to think

* There are harsh sounds in stanzas 1,2 and 3 which convey the harsh fate of the kittens. These T,K,D and G sounds are also known as cacophony/

* The assonance draws the poem out. This is evident in stanza 1.

Thats all I have for the Early Purges. I'll try and get He wishes for the Clothes of Heaven up tomorrow and maybe even a sample answer or two if I can

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 joeballs

hi lads, im really stuck for tech graph my teacher is useless and has only done two ordinary questions with us !!! I have my mock tomorrow , any chance of a little help for the higher level paper?

Advertisement