Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obscure TV that I remember.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

ninja900 wrote: »
    Obscure Radio!?

A couple of years ago, I was counting with my daughter, and counted to five in a particular cadence. Suddenly a memory of 35 years ago came right back. After school, circa 1978 I used to listen to a kids radio show on RTE Radio called 'Knock on the door'. The only bit that's come back so far was triggered by the above. A song about a 'wee black hen'

Something something something something something
    I saw ???? ???? (sounded like 'Mickey Mackey') and he had his wee black hen
    Cluck cluck cluck cluck cluck, went the little hen
    Would you like to hear me count all the way to ten.

The human brain works in very mysterious ways.

I remember listening to Knock At The Door around 1977/78. It was broadcast around 2.00pm / 2.30pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,230 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Got both volumes of 'Charley Says' from Network DVD :) apart from 'Dark and lonely water' other higlights are
    'Polish a floor and put a rug on it - you might as well set a man trap'
    Joe and Petunia
    The Dad's Army crew explaining how to use those newfangled 'Pelican Crossings'
    Those scary films about how if you were an elderly lady and smuggled a siamese cat in your handbag you'd be responsible for millions of rabies deaths
    'Play Safe' about how frisbees and kites would result in 33kV incinerating you and leaving only a pair of smoking runners.
    A couple of 'Protect and Survive' clips thrown in just in case you weren't scared enough already.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Got both volumes of 'Charley Says' from Network DVD :) apart from 'Dark and lonely water' other higlights are
    'Polish a floor and put a rug on it - you might as well set a man trap'
    Joe and Petunia
    The Dad's Army crew explaining how to use those newfangled 'Pelican Crossings'
    Those scary films about how if you were an elderly lady and smuggled a siamese cat in your handbag you'd be responsible for millions of rabies deaths
    'Play Safe' about how frisbees and kites would result in 33kV incinerating you and leaving only a pair of smoking runners.
    A couple of 'Protect and Survive' clips thrown in just in case you weren't scared enough already.

The mantrap rocks.

The COI Volume 6 has the long form version of Play Safe (11 minutes) - harrowing!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Remember "Harry's Game"?

I forget the exact plot but i think it was about an undercover british agent and an ira man both in love with the same woman?

Very powerful and effective. I seem to remember they managed to keep it very balanced, both characters were sympathetic.

It still gives me a chill to hear the Clannad theme.

• Advertisement

If you watch 'Casualty' you'll recognise the IRA man :)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Luca Brasi

Anyone remember Run Buddy Run, a staple of RTE in the late 60s

Here Come the Double Deckers

I remember seeing that in the late 70s, think it was on RTE but not 100% sure, it was a few years old at that stage.

The stuff my kids watch now on RTE is very good (and a lot of the RTEJr / CBeebies animation is made here) but, in those days, kids TV on RTE was Wanderly Wagon (and, later on, Anything Goes) and whatever imports they could get for half-nothing, including bizarro Eastern European cartoons

RTE used to show loads of 'National Film Board of Canada' shorts too until well into the 80s. Cheap filler. They showed one about road safety which had a major flaw - everyone in the film was driving on the wrong side of the road :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,194 ✭✭✭✭looksee

And that interminable series with the little people that live inside your body and make it work, can't remember what it was called.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

A Cartoon called Trap Door,anyone remember this?? I saw it again about 5 years ago at 530am after a night out and have not seen it since,was a very odd and vague show from the 80s.
    I remember it! It used to be on Saturday morning tv, on a programme called No. 73 I think.
    Anyhow I absolutely loved it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but I loved the wacky racers and still think muttley and Dick Dastardly are very funny I saw a clip of the series recently.

I remember seeing that in the late 70s, think it was on RTE but not 100% sure, it was a few years old at that stage.

The stuff my kids watch now on RTE is very good (and a lot of the RTEJr / CBeebies animation is made here) but, in those days, kids TV on RTE was Wanderly Wagon (and, later on, Anything Goes) and whatever imports they could get for half-nothing, including bizarro Eastern European cartoons

RTE used to show loads of 'National Film Board of Canada' shorts too until well into the 80s. Cheap filler. They showed one about road safety which had a major flaw - everyone in the film was driving on the wrong side of the road :rolleyes:

I remember The Double Deckers being on RTE 1 in January 1979. I watched an episode on my seventh birthday.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

I remember that. And the kid who played scooper ended up playing Harry Pearce in Spooks, which meant I couldn't watch Spooks without getting the "Get on board with the Double Deckers" song out of my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Slightly OT, my apologies, but does anyone remember back in the mists of time when presenters on RTE would go out of their way NOT to mention the BBC? It was treated like a swear word, never to be mentioned. Years later I learned that the equipment RTE used when they started RTE TV had been bought second-hand from the BBC and staff had been trained in the BBC. So Irish, really! :D

Hardly, RTE was broadcasting in 625 lines a couple of years before BBC2 started. Their equipment was more modern than the BBC's at that time.

Ninja, that's too technical for me. I heard it on an RTE documentary about the beginnings of RTE TV. But that was waaaay before BBC2. The documentary must have been around the anniversary celebrations time - its possible I could have misheard, but didn't think I had actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

Some old shows that never get mentioned nowadays.

Me and the Chimp
    The Gemini Man
    The Brothers
    Sierra

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Pink Fox

I loved 'The Brothers'. RTE showed some episodes again in the afternoons a few years ago but stopped mid series. I think there are some episodes on YouTube

Just remembered 'A Family At War'.

Pink Fox wrote: »
    I loved 'The Brothers'. RTE showed some episodes again in the afternoons a few years ago but stopped mid series. I think there are some episodes on YouTube

The first series got a DVD release - still available http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Brothers-Complete-BBC-Series/dp/B000JLTE6G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358190911&sr=8-1 but nothing since then. Don't think sales were great. A pity.

• Advertisement

Thanks, I just went on to Amazon after reading your post. So many box sets available. I can now tell family what I want for Christmas, Mother's Day and birthdays for years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭DubCul

I was into westerns, Wagon Train/Rawhide/Virginian

And earlier (showing my age) Roy Rogers and Gene Autry and of course Lone Ranger

I loooooved The Virginian, and his pals Trampas, Randy and the sheriff Emmett. I was very young and in love with them all. The Virginian was a sort of early 'man with no name' like Clint Eastwood's character in the spaghetti movies. There was always some threat or other, always a touch of romance, and some laughter too, and probably a moral to the story at the end. :)

Loved the Virginian too. Anyone remember Bat Masterson - my parents liked him. Those were the days when the whole family watched TV together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

I'd love to watch "Love/Hate" but the o/h refuses, says he hates them oul Dublin accents with the violence, so he flicks, flicks,flicks. God be with the days when we'd only 3 choices. You could really follow a story!

You're not missing anything by not seeing Love/Hate, it's awful. I watch TV to relax and enjoy myself, only watch things I feel better about after seeing. There's enough misery in the world without bringing it into my sitting room. Can you not have turns with the remote control? I'd go mad if I didn't get my fair share of telly.

Never saw it myself but doesn't sound like my kind of viewing although I have been watching/enjoying Ripper Street and that's pretty blood thirsty. I'm also watching Mr Selfridge but there's no blood in that......yet!

Poppyvalley, couldn't you record Love/Hate?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Luca Brasi

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    The first series got a DVD release - still available http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Brothers-Complete-BBC-Series/dp/B000JLTE6G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358190911&sr=8-1 but nothing since then. Don't think sales were great. A pity.

Wasnt Mark McManus later known as Taggart the foreman in The Brothers ?

Yes, just googled Mark McManus - he was in The Brothers - he was also in Colditz. I love spotting actors in their earlier roles

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

Jellybaby1 wrote: »

Poppyvalley, couldn't you record Love/Hate?

I could Jellybaby, but I've a ton of stuff recorded, that I never got round to watching. There never seems to be a right time to take time. Busy, busy, busy with g/children & other matters. I suppose the day will come when I'll be no good to do anything. Then I'll have loads of time. "Nothing to do & all day to do it"

Advertisement