Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obscure TV that I remember.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Follyfoot was also shown on RTE1 during 1985/86.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Was it? I dont remember that, I know I was very small when I saw it.

I was too busy in the 80s to watch too much tv :D

Gosh..I had 2 small babies in 85/86

• Registered Users Posts: 28,190 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The music from the Jetsons always evokes making the dinner, for me!

Had to do it, and yup, dinner time again!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Ohhhhh remember this?

I stopped watching when Molly died :(

• Advertisement

Goodness, what a lot of amazing teeth!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭sudzs

EchoO wrote: »
    I remember finding this very disturbing...

Great radio show here that will take you right back to Children of the Stones. I still find the music disturbing....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01n1rbx

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I liked catwessel as a child It always made me laugh. It was about an 11 century wizard who was transported to modern time by mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Mariaalice I remember Catweasel as being pretty funny. Perhaps the humour is showing it's age now, but back then I chuckled away at his fear of the modern world.

Like this:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Had to think twice about posting this, for fear of lowering the tone but I'm safe hiding behind my user name. Right?
    After a while, I put Torchy Torchy behind me. Then, not a programme as such but a regular feature of Sunday Night at the London Palladium took over: The....the.....Tiller Girls.
    After each show, I had to wait until Saturday to go to confession for impure thoughts, one Our Father and three Hail Marys, then it's Sunday night again, and more impure thoughts.
    So many long, perfect legs; tiny, sparkly costumes; legs; feathery headdresses; legs; beautiful faces; legs; impure thoughts again now after 50 legs I mean years.
    Do they still do confession or am I doomed for all legs I mean eternity?

Then came Emma Peel (Diana Rigg). She caused my penance to go into multiple Our Fathers and Hail Marys.

Guess my soul has been endangered by long female legs. But God made them that way! What was He thinking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Some of us never lost interest in long legs or chorusline girls hence my abiding passion for burlesque. :cool:

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

With all the drooling I think we are going to need a mop and bucket.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Ah sure all the wimmins would be drooling if I mention David Cassidy and the Brady Bunch. Can't tell me ye watched it for the gripping drama or sidesplitting comedy.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

OldGoat wrote: »
    Ah sure all the wimmins would be drooling if I mention David Cassidy and the Brady Bunch. Can't tell me ye watched it for the gripping drama or sidesplitting comedy.

Oooh, David Cassidy.....swoon. I was madly in love with him in the 70's, even going so far as to bunk off school with my friend to try and get into the hotel he was staying in during his concerts in the UK. It was the Excelsior Hotel in Manchester, to be precise.

I've just found my my old scrapbook where I have a newspaper photo of me and said friend in the hotel grounds. Was well and truly found out that day I have to say, though thankfully my mam took it quite well :)

If I can get the blinking scanner to work, I'll post the proof! In the meantime, for all you closet Cassidy fans, here's something to take you back....

DavidCassidypic2.jpg

Sadly OG I was a little too old for lusting after David Cassidy. David McCallum (Illya Kuryakin in The Man from UNCLE) however...

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Gypsy Roman

A Cartoon called Trap Door,anyone remember this?? I saw it again about 5 years ago at 530am after a night out and have not seen it since,was a very odd and vague show from the 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

A Cartoon called Trap Door,anyone remember this?? I saw it again about 5 years ago at 530am after a night out and have not seen it since,was a very odd and vague show from the 80s.

It isn't something I can say I remember I am afraid. :(

It was a cartoon about some small little blue man,he was made of modelling clay and he had a monster up stairs that always wanted feeding,was weird show haha.anyone remember Widget or Captain planet??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

I used to like Jamie and the magic torch. ;)

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    I used to like Jamie and the magic torch. ;)

Unreal theme tune hahaha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Anyone remember an obscure Time travel (play for today?) BBC programme called "The Flipside of Dominic Hide"? It was excellent (as far as I remember from 32 years ago!); about a guy from the future who visits the present and falls in love and the ensuing mess.

I just saw it was available on Youtube (in segments):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Flipside_of_Dominick_Hide

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Anyone remember an obscure Time travel (play for today?) BBC programme called "The Flipside of Dominic Hide"? It was excellent (as far as I remember from 32 years ago!); about a guy from the future who visits the present and falls in love and the ensuing mess.

I just saw it was available on Youtube (in segments):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Flipside_of_Dominick_Hide

Yes - I saw it on original broadcast. There was a follow-up "Another Flip for Dominick". Both available on the one DVD.

yes. And they've got "Another flip..." available on YouTube as well. Nine 10minute segments.

I'll watch it again one evening and see how a 1980 play holds up over time.

I'll have to stream some 1980's commercial breaks in there to make it authentic.

:rolleyes:

I had to post this... I was just surfing Youtube and came across it and it made me smile.

Not obscure really was it? But its been so long its certainly gained some obscurity over time:

InTheTrees wrote: »
    yes. And they've got "Another flip..." available on YouTube as well. Nine 10minute segments.

I'll watch it again one evening and see how a 1980 play holds up over time.

I'll have to stream some 1980's commercial breaks in there to make it authentic.

:rolleyes:

I'm rarely disappointed by archive drama. Totally different pace to now but mostly great.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

yep, an odd animated series but quite funny in places

the other one that made me giggle way beyond what was healthy for a fully grown mature adult was Stopit and Tidyup, narrated by Terry Wogan. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Grandad Himself

Brought my daughter up to Trap Door. She's now infecting her kids with Trap Door episodes on YouTube. I loved Willie Rushton's lugubrious voice in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,226 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

BrensBenz wrote: »
    Then, not a programme as such but a regular feature of Sunday Night at the London Palladium took over: The....the.....Tiller Girls.

I remember watching Billy Smart's Circus on ITV, it must have been coming up to Christmas, 1979 I think.
    I was watching this sequined wan on the trapeze and I don't know if it was sex or danger, but something odd started happening below decks, thought my willy was broken. Was worried for a good while until things got back to normal :o
    Then came Emma Peel (Diana Rigg). She caused my penance to go into multiple Our Fathers and Hail Marys.

ohhh wish I'd been old enough born born,and old enough, to watch that first time around. Rarrrr!
    Guess my soul has been endangered by long female legs. But God made them that way! What was He thinking?

Sure what's the point of making up sins unless you create temptation as well :cool:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Obscure Radio!?

A couple of years ago, I was counting with my daughter, and counted to five in a particular cadence. Suddenly a memory of 35 years ago came right back. After school, circa 1978 I used to listen to a kids radio show on RTE Radio called 'Knock on the door'. The only bit that's come back so far was triggered by the above. A song about a 'wee black hen'

Something something something something something
    I saw ???? ???? (sounded like 'Mickey Mackey') and he had his wee black hen
    Cluck cluck cluck cluck cluck, went the little hen
    Would you like to hear me count all the way to ten.

The human brain works in very mysterious ways.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

PIFs. Public Information Films. We often think we live in a 'nanny state' era today, but these were from a time when it was accepted that 'government knew best'.

The one that scared countless 70s kids witless was 'Dark and Lonely Water.' It always seemed to show up about 12:00 on UTV/HTV on a Saturday (when the kids shows were finishing up and soon World Of Sport with Dickie Davies would be coming on)

Shudder! Probably was counter-productive as any time it's mentioned now, lots of people say it scared them off learning to swim.

The one that really scared me though was a PIF from the UKWMO aka Royal Observer Corps. Volunteers who would record and plot the H-bomb bursts from the nuclear war that seemed just around the corner, and help plot the likely fallout.

It seems to be non-existent on the internet, but the most memorable bit of this video went 'blip.. blip.. blip... This is the sound of peace.'
    It turns out the whole UK phone system was set up to function as a nuclear war warning system. Special receivers were placed in police stations to relay warnings using tones above audio frequency. When the receiver was turned on in peactime it would go 'blip blip blip' to prove the system was working. The whole system was scrapped after the cold war ended which was just as well as it would have prevented DSL from working!

http://www.ringbell.co.uk/ukwmo/Page212.htm

Thermonuclear war is pretty heavy stuff for an eight year old.

Advertisement