Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obscure TV that I remember.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59,569 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

Anyone remember the 'über cool' (but screened perilously close to my bedtime) series "Space 1999"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

A series by Gerry and Sylvia Anderson starring Martin Landau and his wife Barbara Bain. Yes indeed I remember that show. I really liked it back then.

(Know-it-all Rubes strikes again :pac:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I loved Barbara Bain in Space 1999.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Rubecula wrote: »
    A series by Gerry and Sylvia Anderson starring Martin Landau and his wife Barbara Bain. Yes indeed I remember that show. I really liked it back then.

(Know-it-all Rubes strikes again :pac:)

Mission Impossible? Loved it!

• Advertisement

"Good morning, Mr. Phelps". That's how the taped voice started, but I think by the end of the tape 'Mr. Phelps' had become 'Jim', probably because they didn't expect he would survive the mission! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭cml387

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    "Good morning, Mr. Phelps". That's how the taped voice started, but I think by the end of the tape 'Mr. Phelps' had become 'Jim', probably because they didn't expect he would survive the mission! :D

and who was this secretary who would disavow all knowledge?

"I'm sorry sirr but there is no-one of thater namer worrking in this departament."

• Registered Users Posts: 45,855 ✭✭✭✭muffler

My first ever experience with a TV was watching it in a neighbour's house a long, long number of years ago. They were farmers who we visited most days and they used to allow myself and bigger brother in to watch The Lone Ranger. :)

Good old Ke-mo sah-bee :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,321 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I remember a short lived BBC space show called Star Cops

• Registered Users Posts: 28,121 ✭✭✭✭looksee

muffler wrote: »
    My first ever experience with a TV was watching it in a neighbour's house a long, long number of years ago. They were farmers who we visited most days and they used to allow myself and bigger brother in to watch The Lone Ranger. :)

Lol, my first memory of television is also watching the Lone Ranger in a neighbour's house!

• Advertisement

Don't forget good old 'Tonto' too! And their horses, Silver and Scout!

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Don't forget good old 'Tonto' too! And their horses, Silver and Scout!
    Hah! Scout was the name I couldn't remember :)

Hah! Scout was the name I couldn't remember :)

Good 'ould Google!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

i loved this too and bought it on video a few years back, has aged well.

Was fascinated by chocky and sapphire and steel years ago too
    Many years ago now, I visited my parents, and we say and had a cup of tea, Dad dozed off in his chair (as he often did, after a stroke he had suffered.) The television was on and both myself and my mum were engrossed in a children's show. So engrossed, I was around there to watch each episode with her every week. A kind of shared pleasure, just my mum and me. I am sure she would love to have seen it again.

Anyway, it was leading up to christmas (according to google it was 1984) and it was a wonderful show called The Box Of Delights.

This is the opening sequence to any of you that might remember it.

Ah yes Sapphire and Steel. (Joanna Lumley and David McCallum I think?) I liked that show too. Remember they brought in a third character called Lead at one point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Some of yiz had very sheltered childhoods. Everybody knows that Torchy, Torchy the Battery Boy was THE best TV programme ever. Everything since then has been pale imitiations.
    If I could figure out how to add links I would, but go check youtube. You can also download the theme tune. Classic. There may be a box set available for Christmas - to go with my Fireball XL5 and Supercar collections....hint hint.

Warning: Torchy, Torchy the Battery Boy is not recommended for the faint-hearted.

Torchy was the first of my favourites as a kiddy :)

"Torchy Torchy the battery boy, I 'm a walking talking toy ....... "

Thank you for reminding me BrensBenz.

BrensBenz wrote: »
    Some of yiz had very sheltered childhoods. Everybody knows that Torchy, Torchy the Battery Boy was THE best TV programme ever. Everything since then has been pale imitiations.
    If I could figure out how to add links I would, but go check youtube. You can also download the theme tune. Classic. There may be a box set available for Christmas - to go with my Fireball XL5 and Supercar collections....hint hint.

Warning: Torchy, Torchy the Battery Boy is not recommended for the faint-hearted.
    Torchy was the first of my favourites as a kiddy :)

"Torchy Torchy the battery boy, I 'm a walking talking toy ....... "

Thank you for reminding me BrensBenz.

All right you two, calm down! So what's your problem with Pinochio then? Sure he's the Superman of all toy boys!!! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,121 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Dead right! Where to start?... Funny though, I remember the theme tune and even the intro, but I don't remember the story at all. Maybe my infant mind was too boggled to take it in!

looksee wrote: »
    Dead right! Where to start?... Funny though, I remember the theme tune and even the intro, but I don't remember the story at all. Maybe my infant mind was too boggled to take it in!

Not sure if I have this right looksee, but I think the pets all found their way to the planet where the animals could talk and didn't want to come back as they could now chat with each other. Torchy was sent there to persuade them to return. I think there was a place where the toys came to life too. although I am even less certain about that bit.

I soon matured from Torchy and went for Four Feather Falls. A much more grown up series :pac: and from there to Supercar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Does anyone remember "The Paper Chase"?

Just looking it up now, it started in 1973, I was 9 :eek:

I have no idea why I loved this, it was way over my head, but I remember having great respect for Kingsfield...he cared. Wasn't I a deep thinker at such a tender age :D

I might actually watch this again.(nearly 40 years later thumb_smileyvault-cute-big-smiley-static-024.gif

I am afraid I have no clue about this Chucken. I am not sure I ever even heard of it.

Chucken wrote: »
    I remember watching a few episodes of this at the time although I couldn't tell you much about it now. Wasn't the show based on law students at uni?

Thats the one Muffler :)

James Stephens played James T Hart: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Stephens_(actor)

The class whittled down over time as people dropped out and we were left with a core group. God, they loved learning! I pictured myself being as smart as that lot when I grew up,...pity our teachers didnt give us the chance to do better :(

Ah well, thats for another thread I suppose. :)

Chucken wrote: »

Just looking it up now, it started in 1973, I was 9 :eek:

Chuckie at that age you shouldn't even be in here! You is a chissiller!:p

I know, ya bat-eyelashes.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

BrensBenz wrote: »

Torchy was released by Network in 2007.

Series 1 - http://www.networkdvd.net/product_info.php?products_id=85

Series 2 - http://www.networkdvd.net/product_info.php?products_id=125

A lot of the programmes remembered and discussed here have been released by Network. Check them out.

Put away the childish Torchy, be all grown up and see Four Feather Falls.

Not sure if I have posted this before I think I may have, so I am sorry if I did. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Advertisement

Aw yes...Follyfoot, that was brilliant.

How come I can remember that and it was aired between 1971 and 1973 and I cant remember last week :mad::(

Advertisement