Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obscure TV that I remember.

Options
  • 17-08-2012 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭

Gerry and Sylvia Anderson made a number of shows for kids, one of the last ones that made was called The Secret Service. Not many folks remember it as it was cancelled after 13 episodes. But I for some strange reason do.

Not as famous as Joe90, Thunderbirds, Stingray, Supercar, Fireball XL5 and so on. Here is a reminder.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

And if you liked that try tis collection of themes, how many can you remember?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Brilliant stuff Rube! Some of them I never heard of like The Banana Splits but most I do remember.

"Kkk kk kkkk kkk kkk kk!"

"What's that Skippy?"

"Sigh. I said....Kkk kk kkkk kkk kkk kk!"

"Oh I now I understand, "how come every time you hear the Batman music you think of Rodney and Del Boy?"

"I don't know, Skippy. Maybe you just watch too much television"! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

I remember finding this very disturbing...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,133 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

HR Puff n Stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

NIMAN wrote: »
    HR Puff n Stuff

Pat Ingoldsby & the "cuppan tay O'Toole" I'd watch it with the kids in the afternoon. AGHHHH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,127 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I couldn't cope with Pat Ingoldsby at all, could never see what people saw in him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Thames TV....and Michael Bentine....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭cml387

An episode of a BBC drama series called "Menace" involving a young curate answering an advertisement to visit an elderly priest in Cornwall.

(Elderly priest I have since discovered played by Sir John Gielgud.)

The poor young man is imprisoned by, as it turns out, a deranged old man fearing the end of the world.

I have researched the TX date and it is 1973.

It made a big impression on my brother and I, the sense of helplessness of the young curate and the desperate fears of the old man.

Unfortunately this does not seem to be available in the archives.

One that is on that tube is another BBC gem, the Ghost Story for Christmas series.

These dramas have no Christmas theme, but were mostly adaptations of stories by the master ghost story writer M R James.

I remember being absolutely petrified one Christmas Eve by "The Stalls Of Barchester Cathedral".

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Grandad Himself

Doomwatch!

Doomwatch!

WOW yes I remember that one very well I think Robert Powell was in it wasn't he? It used to be one of my favourite series. But I think I had a sci fi bent too because I enjoyed all kinds of programmes of that ilk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

The Owl Service back in the late 60's. Although I didn't fully understand what it was about (still don't!), it scared me to death!

Here's the opening titles, just to give the uninitiated a feel for its weirdness:

Fell asleep during that intro! :o

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Fell asleep during that intro! :o

I'm not surprised :D Can you imagine how weird/scary that would have seemed to a 9/10 year old, even though it looks so dated now?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Grandad Himself

"Making the Most of the Micro"

A long story but as a direct result of that programme, I found a new career!

Mollywolly wrote: »
    The Owl Service back in the late 60's. Although I didn't fully understand what it was about (still don't!), it scared me to death!

Here's the opening titles, just to give the uninitiated a feel for its weirdness:

Molly I had totally forgotten about that show. Great memory you have.

Remember this?

Rubecula wrote: »
    Molly I had totally forgotten about that show. Great memory you have.

Remember this?

It rings a bell somewhere at the back of my foggy brain, but I loved the spinning top flying saucer at the beginning.

Oh, and was that Noel Edmonds I saw on the spaceship at 2:32 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

The Tomorrow People

Disturbing intro to an impressionable young lad, and always left me very wary of electricity pylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Brilliant stuff Rube! Some of them I never heard of like The Banana Splits but most I do remember.

The Banana Splits , I never liked them , my younger brother did. It was on around 18:30 ish on Sat evening , the slot The Monkees used to have .

I remember most of them , although some ( like Mr Ed ) are very American and I never saw .

The Tomorrow People , god that was scary stuff .

Many years ago now, I visited my parents, and we say and had a cup of tea, Dad dozed off in his chair (as he often did, after a stroke he had suffered.) The television was on and both myself and my mum were engrossed in a children's show. So engrossed, I was around there to watch each episode with her every week. A kind of shared pleasure, just my mum and me. I am sure she would love to have seen it again.

Anyway, it was leading up to christmas (according to google it was 1984) and it was a wonderful show called The Box Of Delights.

This is the opening sequence to any of you that might remember it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

TV nostilgia threads merged together in a mad fit of housekeeping.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

sat morning tv is not the same these days. Champion the wonder horse , arabian nights, banana splits, Tiswas, skippy, swap shop.

There is one programme that i cant remember the name of and it was a girl being looked after by gypsies and trying to find her mother. All i remember was a electricity pylon at the start and the girl walking in a crowd shouting out to someone who she thought was her mother but it wasnt.
    It was on around 4/5 during the week in the early 70's.

• Registered Users Posts: 59,572 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

Anyone remember 'Dusty's Trail'? It was screened in Ireland early to mid 70's I think (can't remember if it was RTE or one of the UK channels). We used to watch it in my family.

After the success of Cop-in-a-wheelchair Ironside, tv execs decided that having a detective or investigator who was handicapped was now "in".

A Blind P.I? I give you... Longstreet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

cml387 wrote: »
    An episode of a BBC drama series called "Menace" involving a young curate answering an advertisement to visit an elderly priest in Cornwall.

(Elderly priest I have since discovered played by Sir John Gielgud.)

The poor young man is imprisoned by, as it turns out, a deranged old man fearing the end of the world.

I have researched the TX date and it is 1973.

It made a big impression on my brother and I, the sense of helplessness of the young curate and the desperate fears of the old man.

Unfortunately this does not seem to be available in the archives.

One that is on that tube is another BBC gem, the Ghost Story for Christmas series.

These dramas have no Christmas theme, but were mostly adaptations of stories by the master ghost story writer M R James.

I remember being absolutely petrified one Christmas Eve by "The Stalls Of Barchester Cathedral".

The Ghost Stories for Christmas are now out on DVD - single volumes and box due in November.

Menace - just two episodes still exist. Man On A Mission and Killing Time. I have DVD-Rs of both, fourth-generation VHS dubs from the early 1980s.

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    sat morning tv is not the same these days. Champion the wonder horse , arabian nights, banana splits, Tiswas, skippy, swap shop.

There is one programme that i cant remember the name of and it was a girl being looked after by gypsies and trying to find her mother. All i remember was a electricity pylon at the start and the girl walking in a crowd shouting out to someone who she thought was her mother but it wasnt.
    It was on around 4/5 during the week in the early 70's.

Kizzy?

Was shown on RTE during 1977.

Anyone remember 'Dusty's Trail'? It was screened in Ireland early to mid 70's I think (can't remember if it was RTE or one of the UK channels). We used to watch it in my family.

Very funny. Shown on RTE a couple of times - 1977 and early 1980s.

The Owl Service and Children Of The Stones were excellent - spooky and compelling.

Network DVD url]www.networkdvd.net[/url have released loads of quality 1970s and 1980s drama.

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    The Ghost Stories for Christmas are now out on DVD - single volumes and box due in November.

Menace - just two episodes still exist. Man On A Mission and Killing Time. I have DVD-Rs of both, fourth-generation VHS dubs from the early 1980s.

I have "The Signalman" and "A Warning to the Curious" (picked up for a relative song from Vibes and Scribes in Cork).

Lost episodes of Menace I believe are near the top of the list of most wanted in the BBC's hunt for archive stuff.

Anyone remember Brian Clemens' Thriller anthology series?

43 stories - ran for four years. Each tale was about 65 minutes long. Shown on HTV in the 1970s and RTE ran some of them in the early 1980s.

In my opinion - one of the best ever.

• Advertisement

I can't remember when this was on the telly. I am a big fan of John Hurt and loved 'The Storyteller' series.

Advertisement