Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LET IT SNOW AND BE COLD!!!***RAMPING THREAD***Mod Note #1193#2705

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Dead_Rabbits

I have really been enjoying the consistency of the GFS, the consistency of it being WRONG in FI!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

12Z GEM. Excellent.

gem-0-132.png?12

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

12Z GEM. Excellent.

gem-0-132.png?12

Just came on to post that. :D What is the accuracy of the GEM at the 5-6 day time frame compared to the big 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

12Z GEM. Excellent.

gem-0-132.png?12

If you look at their precipitation charts the chart you've posted seems to show all the precipitation next Monday missing almost all bar the South East? I presume you mean it is showing an easterly push on Tuesday?

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    Just came on to post that. :D What is the accuracy of the GEM at the 5-6 day time frame compared to the big 3?

Up and down. It has its moments though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭pad199207

Just watched the BBC forecast and i nearly smashed the tv screen with the charts for Friday!

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

12Z GEM. Excellent.

A fair share of the 00z EC EPS members look similar to the 12z GEM.

If you look at their precipitation charts the chart you've posted seems to show all the precipitation next Monday missing almost all bar the South East? I presume you mean it is showing an easterly push on Tuesday?

Wouldn't be concerned with precip at 132 hours as that will change, it's the bigger picture which is excellent. Sends the low southeast, sets up an easterly, ridging up towards Greenland. If that low south of Greenland at the end took a more westerly route or had a bit less energy that you could imagine that setting up a Greenland high. Fun and games then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Worth noting (for those over the age of 5) that many times in our history the UK has been plastered with snow and Ireland has missed out. So don't be thinking this event is unique because it's not. We are different countries with differing climates - simple as!

Anyways plenty opportunity over the wkd for ourselves and I honestly think that we will all have seen snow by midday Monday!

GFS ensemble mean at 144 is colder than the op run.

gens-21-0-144.png?12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

UK does not get plastered often, you make it sound like Scandinavia ! they get more snowfall than us in Scotland yes but Wicklow mountains for example would get more snow than anywhere else in the UK each year, no doubt about it.

The snow in UK is greatly exaggerated on here, I would agree certain parts get snow more frequently than here but no need for exaggerations. Look around UK at the moment for example, very little snow other than on mountains, it nearly all melted. UK gets more snow showers, correct. It does not get plastered, continental Europe / Scandinavia / Canada get plastered.

I used to work in Scandinavia, it gets plastered ! UK gets a few centimetres from time to time and last winter i seem to recall like ourselves, they got next to nothing. I am just saying that people totally exaggerate amounts of snow over there, simply not true

They do get warmer summers in parts of UK though, that i will agree with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

I am just saying that people totally exaggerate amounts of snow over there, simply not true

I agree, and it is also worth considering that the UK is home to a very excitable media that more often than not blow even the most mundane of weather events out of all proportion, more so when these 'events' affect the south and southeast of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Problem123456

Only in the south..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

UK does not get plastered often, you make it sound like Scandinavia ! they get more snowfall than us in Scotland yes but Wicklow mountains for example would get more snow than anywhere else in the UK each year, no doubt about it.

The snow in UK is greatly exaggerated on here, I would agree certain parts get snow more frequently than here but no need for exaggerations. Look around UK at the moment for example, very little snow other than on mountains, it nearly all melted. UK gets more snow showers, correct. It does not get plastered, continental Europe / Scandinavia / Canada get plastered.

I used to work in Scandinavia, it gets plastered ! UK gets a few centimetres from time to time and last winter i seem to recall like ourselves, they got next to nothing. I am just saying that people totally exaggerate amounts of snow over there, simply not true

I remember when London got a 6 inch snowfall in 2009 (prior to the snow fests of 2010), the big news was that it was the first very significant fall of snow in the UK capital in 18 years (1991). I remember my cousin living in London for 3 years around the early 2000s and he said he did not see one flake of snow the 3 winters he was there so as the poster above said, the UK (at least the majority of it) is not prone to plastering while Ireland gets nothing. Parts of it are certainly more prone (north east/East Anglia/eastern Scotland) but parts of Ireland also have that likelihood (hilly areas of Donegal/Wicklow etc).

I agree, and it is also worth considering that the UK is home to a very excitable media that more often than not blow even the most mundane of weather events out of all proportion, more so when these 'events' affect the south and southeast of the country.

Yep. Daily Express Nov 2011. :rolleyes:

111008exp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Only places that ALWAYS get the heavy snow in Scotland apart from the North of Scotland is Fife and surrounding areas,being from Glasgow and used to work in Fife,it was hellish in the winter,Glasgow gets it a fair whack no doubting that but not the extremes the UK press make out and have made out the past week,example was the weekend of the 28th/29th December gone me and the misses went to Glasgow,it was hyped up back then, hyped to the fact that my misses was worried we wouldnt get back on New Years eve to see the kids due to the deluge of snow:rolleyes: bollocks about 3 flakes of snow and mild as hell,but previously Sky News had it as blizzards and the like...when it does snow for a period of time it fecking doesnt stop though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Snowmaker

UK does not get plastered often...The snow in UK is greatly exaggerated on here

Point well made, but I think it's more of a case that they get some, in certain parts, more often than we get some in most parts... when it does snow a little it's all over the news and that doesn't help.

For example.. if you were a money-fiend and have 1-cent, and I have 2-Euro... then you could say I'm 200-times richer than you, even though I don't have much I still have a hell of a lot more...

Same goes for the snow-fiend, 2cm of snow is infinitely more than 1mm of sleety-rain :D

First-world problems eh?! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Dead_Rabbits

The snow in UK is greatly exaggerated on here

I really agree with that, the UK media goes into over drive to meet expectation, so it often looks much worse than it is. I would be much happier here once we get the right conditions as we will get the full frontal assault from anything from the West!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Shamrock841

Agree 100%. I lived in "Bournemuff" in Dorset for a year in 09, from may untill october was beautiful, july and august temps regularily hit 30c! Overall the weather was much drier! I do recall my landlord telling me that they got snow in june once over there, 92 I think (I could be wrong)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭fontenoy7

I definitely agree. The Summers in London are generally warmer and sunnier than Dublin and that is for sure. But the snowfall is very erratic and often less than Dublin.

The snowfall in the Dublin Wicklow mountains is often massive and mind boggling were people can snowboard and ski at times. It really is that deep at times. And remember I am talking about altitudes of only 500 metres...
    I met some Polish snow plough operators in Christmas 2010 and even they said that the sheer volume of snow in the Dublin Wicklow mountains was impressive even by their standards and not for the first time.

This November I went walking with transition year students in South Wicklow and you could clearly see LUGNAQUUILLA in the near distance plastered in snow. There was also snow on Monbane and other mountains near by..yet not a mention of it in the Irish Press except for a picture of a horse in a lightly covered field somewhere in the Yorkshire Hills...that is the Irish press for you...the only post colonial complex.

I know I go on a lot about Wicklow but the reality is that it gets a lot of snow being high up, in the East and near the sea..it really is that impressive:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Orchard Rebel

ongarboy wrote: »
    I remember when London got a 6 inch snowfall in 2009 (prior to the snow fests of 2010), the big news was that it was the first very significant fall of snow in the UK capital in 18 years (1991). I remember my cousin living in London for 3 years around the early 2000s and he said he did not see one flake of snow the 3 winters he was there so as the poster above said, the UK (at least the majority of it) is not prone to plastering while Ireland gets nothing. Parts of it are certainly more prone (north east/East Anglia/eastern Scotland) but parts of Ireland also have that likelihood (hilly areas of Donegal/Wicklow etc).

In the last 20 years that's correct. However, in the previous 20 years significant falls were more regular. Growing up in Nottinghamshire I recall events in 1977, 1978, 1982, 1987 and 1990/1991 plus a couple of others I can't place.

Yes, not surprised by that summer temperature, they do occasionally get 30 degrees over there. You wouldnt think it though with Wimbledon rained off every year (thank goodness for the roof on centre court now!!)

When they do get nice weather, it is definitely that bit warmer. Always seems to be about a 5 degree difference between here and London in Summer and then an extra 5 degrees again for Paris. Little difference in the winter though. On the other hand, having spent a lot of time in Scotland, they are one of the few places colder and wetter than us in summer

Anyway back to the snow, where is it ?? :)

Agree 100%. I lived in "Bournemuff" in Dorset for a year in 09, from may untill october was beautiful, july and august temps regularily hit 30c! Overall the weather was much drier! I do recall my landlord telling me that they got snow in june once over there, 92 I think (I could be wrong)

The first and last time I was in Devon, sorry Cornwall, was in the Summer of 2008. Very pretty place but it pissed rain for the week I was there. Very similar in climate to Kerry. 30 degrees??? Once in blue moon!!:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Poxy heavy rain should have been snow:D

Yes, not surprised by that summer temperature, they do occasionally get 30 degrees over there. You wouldnt think it though with Wimbledon rained off every year (thank goodness for the roof on centre court now!!)

When they do get nice weather, it is definitely that bit warmer. Always seems to be about a 5 degree difference between here and London in Summer and then an extra 5 degrees again for Paris. Little difference in the winter though. On the other hand, having spent a lot of time in Scotland, they are one of the few places colder and wetter than us in summer

Anyway back to the snow, where is it ?? :)

You are right there!! I lived in Paris for several years (montparnasse, Saint-Germain des Pres) and the Summers I experienced in the late 80's and 90's were fab. Winters were cool/cold but very little in the way of snow. Much more snow in Lyon or even Lille where my wife is from. I used to be a French translator but now I work in Education.

Scotland has very depressing Summers, worse than ours'. Even Glasgow which is quite far north has very wet winters but surprisingly very little snow given its latitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Have I stumbled on a UK weather forum?? All this talk of the UK you would think I did.

Was there anything the last run to indicate anything, didn't have time to look at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Shamrock841

fontenoy7 wrote: »
    The first and last time I was in Devon, sorry Cornwall, was in the Summer of 2008. Very pretty place but it pissed rain for the week I was there. Very similar in climate to Kerry. 30 degrees??? Once in blue moon!!:mad::mad:

Well maybe not 30, but not far off it, alot warmer than Cork.

http://www.bournemouthweather.co.uk/climate.php

Back to snow hunting for now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭zidewayz

A few snaps from Sally Gap this afternoon. I would expect the Wicklow/Dublin Mountains to have a fair bit of snow by now as it hasn't stopped raining in Dublin all afternoon. Temp 3.5 DP 4.0 Rathcoole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 SnowDancer

Happily came back to some positive news :):):) - what times the next run?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement