Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shocking Bible Quotes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Worztron

10 “Therefore I will give their wives to others,
    Their fields to new owners;
    Because from the least even to the greatest
    Everyone is greedy for gain;
    From the prophet even to the priest
    Everyone practices deceit.
    Jeremiah 8:10

9 I will make them eat the flesh of their sons and daughters, and they will eat one another’s flesh because their enemies will press the siege so hard against them to destroy them.’
    Jeremiah 19:9

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

2 Kings 2:23-24 "From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, a gang of youths came out of the town and jeered at him. "Go on up, baldy!" they said. "Go on up, Baldy!" He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the Lord. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the youths."

Actually I like this one.

If we had more bears around today we would have less yobs on the streets.

Gittin 57a. “‘Yashu’ (derogatory for ‘Jesus’) is in Hell being boiled in hot excrement.”

Gittin 69a. To heal his flesh a Jew should take dust that lies within the shadow of an outdoor toilet, mix it with honey and eat it.

Gittin 70a. The Rabbis taught: "On coming from a privy (outdoor toilet) a man should not have sexual intercourse till he has waited long enough to walk half a mile, because the demon of the privy is with him for that time; if he does, his children will be epileptic."

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Worztron wrote: »
    Gittin 57a. “‘Yashu’ (derogatory for ‘Jesus’) is in Hell being boiled in hot excrement.”

Gittin 69a. To heal his flesh a Jew should take dust that lies within the shadow of an outdoor toilet, mix it with honey and eat it.

Gittin 70a. The Rabbis taught: "On coming from a privy (outdoor toilet) a man should not have sexual intercourse till he has waited long enough to walk half a mile, because the demon of the privy is with him for that time; if he does, his children will be epileptic."

epilepsy is caused by sh1t demons. and people wonder why we can't take the bible seriously..

• Registered Users Posts: 30 vale95

Blessed is the one who grabs your little children and smashes them against a rock.
    - God
    Psalm 137:9

This was not said by God but by a psalmist (probably David) out of anger and rage from their enemies treating them wrong.
    Although its written in the bible this is not a command that all Christians should smash young children against rock!!! Also this is not a song but a "prayer" (remember prayer is simply talking to God) that normal human being like me n you prayed to God in his circumstances. Who says that God was pleased with this player?
    Also all the other quotes that you have were said by Moses to the people of Israel. In those times things like having slaves was the norm. this of course later changed. (Also gradually people began adding their own laws to the laws that God gave them).
    It's all about the time in which these people lived and their cultures and customs.
    With that said you should also consider the fact these quotes came from the Old Testament when the rules were quite different.
    Christians now follow the New testament where Jesus came and encouraged them change their ways, and also rebuked them for their unjust laws: Matthew 15:8-9, "These people draw near to Me honoring Me with their lips but
    their hearts are distant from Me. And in vain do they worship Me teaching as doctrine rules made by
    men."

Jesus came to tell us all of the love of God and letting the people know that their laws were not necessary for God to love them but that He loves us unconditionally!
    So yes!! We call him a loving God!!!!!!!

I would encourage you to actually read the new testaments and you will find out how different things became after Jesus came and Christianity was formed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

vale95 wrote: »
    It's all about the time in which these people lived and their cultures and customs.

Cultures and customs supposedly dictated by God. That's a poor excuse and you know it. Jesus himself was supposed to have said the rules will never change.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Blessed is the one who grabs your little children and smashes them against a rock.
    - God
    Psalm 137:9

This was not said by God but by a psalmist (probably David) out of anger and rage from their enemies treating them wrong.
    Although its written in the bible this is not a command that all Christians should smash young children against rock!!! Also this is not a song but a "prayer" (remember prayer is simply talking to God) that normal human being like me n you prayed to God in his circumstances. Who says that God was pleased with this player?
    Also all the other quotes that you have were said by Moses to the people of Israel. In those times things like having slaves was the norm. this of course later changed)
    With that said you should also consider the fact these quotes came from the Old Testament when the rules were quite different.
    Christians now follow the New testament where Jesus came and encouraged them change their ways, and also rebuked them for their unjust laws: Matthew 15:8-9, "These people draw near to Me honoring Me with their lips but
    their hearts are distant from Me. And in vain do they worship Me teaching as doctrine rules made by
    men."

Jesus came to tell us all of the love of God and letting the people know that their laws were not necessary for God to love them but that He loves us unconditionally!
    So yes!! We call him a loving God!!!!!!!

I would encourage you to actually read the new testaments and you will find out how different things became after Jesus came and Christianity was formed.

Exactly, now if more people would just accept the bible has no place in modern society we'll be laughing, you seem to be on the way though, good on ya :)

Do not save Goyim in danger of death. Show no mercy to the Goyim.
    Hilkkoth Akum X1

"The souls of non-Jews come from impure sprits and are called pigs."
    Jalkut Rubeni gadol 12b

"If a Jew has a non-Jewish servant or maid who dies, one should not express sympathy to the Jew. You should tell the Jew: "God will replace 'your loss', just as if one of his oxen or asses had died"."
    Jore dea 377, 1

Kethuboth 11b. "When a grown-up man has intercourse with a little girl it is nothing."

Judges 3:16-23
    16 Now Ehud had made a double-edged sword about a cubit long, which he strapped to his right thigh under his clothing. 17 He presented the tribute to Eglon king of Moab, who was a very fat man. 18 After Ehud had presented the tribute, he sent on their way those who had carried it. 19 But on reaching the stone images near Gilgal he himself went back to Eglon and said, “Your Majesty, I have a secret message for you.”
    The king said to his attendants, “Leave us!” And they all left.
    20 Ehud then approached him while he was sitting alone in the upper room of his palace and said, “I have a message from God for you.” As the king rose from his seat, 21 Ehud reached with his left hand, drew the sword from his right thigh and plunged it into the king’s belly. 22 Even the handle sank in after the blade, and his bowels discharged. Ehud did not pull the sword out, and the fat closed in over it. 23 Then Ehud went out to the porch; he shut the doors of the upper room behind him and locked them.

Judges 15:15-16
    15 Finding a fresh jawbone of a donkey, he grabbed it and struck down a thousand men.
    16 Then Samson said, “With a donkey’s jawbone I have made donkeys of them. With a donkey’s jawbone I have killed a thousand men.”

Sarky wrote: »
    Cultures and customs supposedly dictated by God. That's a poor excuse and you know it. Jesus himself was supposed to have said the rules will never change.

Cultures and customs supposed to be dictated by God but of course people, being people, made up their own things and rebelled against God, thinking that they could do things on their own and that's when things started going wrong!!
    And may I please know where Jesus said that the rules will never change?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

And may I please know where Jesus said that the rules will never change?

Matty 5:17
    Jesus:
    Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven,[...]

Most of these things were food hygiene rules which were quite sensible in the times then (not eating pork etc) but now just serve to segregate the religions.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Matty 5:17

These are the laws that God gave to Moses not the ones that the teachers of the Law and the Pharisees added unto it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

These are the laws that God gave to Moses not the ones that the teachers of the Law and the Pharisees added unto it.

Well which is it?

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Well which is it?

what i'm tying to say is that there were Laws given by God 'the ten commandments' and laws made by the people such as 'the law of Moses' made by Moses which gradually people began to add unto it based on their customs.
    But the ten commandments have not changed and those are the Laws of God that Christians follow

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

what i'm tying to say is that there were Laws given by God 'the ten commandments' and laws made by the people such as 'the law of Moses' made by Moses which gradually people began to add unto it based on their customs.
    But the ten commandments have not changed and those are the Laws of God that Christians follow
    So the add on laws don't matter? There's nothing about gay marriage or contraception or abortion on those tablets is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

OK this is really getting rather silly.

First of all, you might answer one question for me. Which Ten Commandments are you referring to. Is it the one followed by Catholicism in Exodus 20, or the one followed by mainline Protestantism which includes "thou shalt not make any graven images" in Deuteronomy 5. Or maybe its the Ten Commandments in Exodus 34. You know the Ten Commandments that are actually called the Ten Commandments. The ones that include the requirement to observe the feast of the unleavened bread and says do not boil a goat in its own mothers milk. Maybe its those ten commandments.

Secondly, there isn't a break in Exodus 20 when the commandments are laid down. It just keeps going through the commandments about slavery etc. You know, all 613 of them. The 613 of them that Jesus, as a jew, would have observed. The 613 that Jesus refers to when he mentions the commandments in the gospels such as Matthew 19:17.

Now as for this laws added by the Pharisees nonsense, what are you talking about. First of all, the Pharisees were a socio-political group tasked with ensuring obedience to the law. So it wouldn't really make sense for these people to add to the law. Particularly since Deuteronomy 4:2 specifically forbids such an act. Furthermore, why would such a group break the law as outlined in Deuteronomy when a) they are so quick to point out Jesus' disobedience in Mark 2 and b) Jesus comments that they didn't observe all the laws required of them in Matthew 23. Can you point out in the bible where it says that the Pharisees added to the law?

lazygal wrote: »
    So the add on laws don't matter? There's nothing about gay marriage or contraception or abortion on those tablets is there?

personally as a Christians and not a Jew or a follower of Moses, i would only follow the 10 commandments and teachings given to us by Jesus in the new Testament.

personally as a Christians and not a Jew or a follower of Moses, i would only follow the 10 commandments and teachings given to us by Jesus in the new Testament.
    You said Christians follow the ten commandments. What do you mean? What teaching did Jesus have on abortion, gay rights and contraception? Surely you wouldn't be so arrogant to extrapolate extra teaching on topics Jesus had no comment on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I'm pretty sure Jesus only gave people one. And that was pinched from some other philosophy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

That isn't true. The "law" includes the ten commandments, but it also includes the laws of Leviticus and Deuteronomy. Jesus himself references them, such as the law regulating divorce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

Just one more point. The "law of Moses" was not made by Moses but rather according to the bible was written down by Moses having being dictated by God himself. This is mentioned in three different places in the OT: Exodus 24:4, Exodus 34:27 and Leviticus 26:46.

lazygal wrote: »
    You said Christians follow the ten commandments. What do you mean? What teaching did Jesus have on abortion, gay rights and contraception? Surely you wouldn't be so arrogant to extrapolate extra teaching on topics Jesus had no comment on?

as you say they are no comments on these, so every christian has different opinions on these topics.

as you say they are no comments on these, so every christian has different opinions on these topics.
    So how do you know you're following the teachings of Jesus properly. For all you know you're in the wrong church and won't get to heaven? Is it not a bit odd that a man with such an important message could be open to widely differing interpretations? Should he not have been a bit clearer seeing as he's the one offering eternal life to the right followers?

Leviticus 20:9-10
    God commands death for cursing out ones parents and death for adultery. Gee, with these types of laws the population should be almost nil by now.

Leviticus 20:13
    Once again god is a homophobe, or at the very least, a bigot.

Leviticus 21:16-23
    Handicapped people must not approach the altar.

Leviticus 25:44-46
    44 “‘Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. 45 You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. 46 You can bequeath them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Zombrex wrote: »
    That isn't true. The "law" includes the ten commandments, but it also includes the laws of Leviticus and Deuteronomy. Jesus himself references them, such as the law regulating divorce.

In many ways I am very immature, and I take a huge delight in watching Christians being corrected on their own scripture. And a poster who was telling us to read the Bible, too!

:)

2 Kings 2:23-24
    23 From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some boys came out of the town and jeered at him. “Get out of here, baldy!” they said. “Get out of here, baldy!” 24 He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the Lord. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys.

1 Kings 18:24-40
    24 Then you call on the name of your god, and I will call on the name of the Lord. The god who answers by fire—he is God.”
    38 Then the fire of the Lord fell and burned up the sacrifice, the wood, the stones and the soil, and also licked up the water in the trench.
    39 When all the people saw this, they fell prostrate and cried, “The Lord—he is God! The Lord—he is God!”
    40 Then Elijah commanded them, “Seize the prophets of Baal. Don’t let anyone get away!” They seized them, and Elijah had them brought down to the Kishon Valley and slaughtered there.

To communicate anything to a Goy about our religious relations would be equal to the killing of all Jews, for if the Goyim knew what we teach about them, they would kill us openly.
    Libbre David 37

Menahoth 43b-44a. A Jewish man is obligated to say the following prayer every day: Thank you God for not making me a gentile, a woman or a slave.

Jehovah created the non-Jew in human form so that the Jew would not have to be served by beasts. The non-Jew is consequently an animal in human form, and condemned to serve the Jew day and night.
    Midrasch Talpioth, p. 225-L

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Neutronale

fitz0 wrote: »
    You're just taking it out of context! You horrible atheist you!

:pac:

In context: 2 Kings 8:12 "Why is my lord weeping?" asked Hazael. "Because I know the harm you will do to the Israelites," he answered. "You will set fire to their fortified places, kill their young men with the sword, dash their little children to the ground, and rip open their pregnant women."

• Advertisement

Leviticus 18:22
    22 “‘Do not have sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman; that is detestable.

Leviticus 25:44-46
    44 “‘Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. 45 You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. 46 You can bequeath them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly.

Leviticus 26:29
    29 You will eat the flesh of your sons and the flesh of your daughters.

Advertisement