Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shocking Bible Quotes

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

You never actually talk with anyone phil. Only ever at them.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

pH wrote: »
    I notice that you still haven't provided the bible quote from Judges that condemns saving yourself by throwing a woman to the crowd to be raped.

Can we hear your response to this please Phil.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

philologos wrote: »
    Prove to me that anything I've quoted on that thread is twisting the passage to say something it isn't and we'll talk :)

That would be impossible as you would be asking me to prove that you posted something that differs to how you interpret that passage. I'm sure another christian sect could "prove" you wrong by offering up their interpretation of the passage.

I could of course go through and find quotes which are followed by nastier verses in the same book and do a reverse of what you are doing to the OP here but I think it better to get back on topic so,
    1 Peter 2

2:17 Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the king.
    2:18 Servants, be subject to your masters with all fear; not only to the good and gentle, but also to the froward.
    2:19 For this is thankworthy, if a man for conscience toward God endure grief, suffering wrongfully.
    2:20 For what glory is it, if, when ye be buffeted for your faults, ye shall take it patiently? but if, when ye do well, and suffer for it, ye take it patiently, this is acceptable with God.

"Fear God". Ok. "Honour the King", lol, I wonder if a certain royalty got their spoke in in the editing room. Finally "Servants, be subject to your masters with all fear; not only to the good and gentle, but also to the froward." Looks like the slave masters got their edit in too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

ShooterSF wrote: »
    That would be impossible as you would be asking me to prove that you posted something that differs to how you interpret that passage. I'm sure another christian sect could "prove" you wrong by offering up their interpretation of the passage.

I could of course go through and find quotes which are followed by nastier verses in the same book and do a reverse of what you are doing to the OP here but I think it better to get back on topic so,

"Fear God". Ok. "Honour the King", lol, I wonder if a certain royalty got their spoke in in the editing room. Finally "Servants, be subject to your masters with all fear; not only to the good and gentle, but also to the froward." Looks like the slave masters got their edit in too.

Perhaps we need a little more context on the Letters of Peter? Do we know who wrote them, when they were written, and why they were written?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

pauldla wrote: »
    Perhaps we need a little more context on the Letters of Peter? Do we know who wrote them, when they were written, and why they were written?

Here's someone else ready to defend it on the basis that because we don't know everything single thing about the 'context', who wrote them, when, and why, that it can't mean what it appears to say.

Amazing how that argument disappears when coming to the supposed non-offensive verses of The Bible. All of a sudden it is the Word of the Lord then, and should context be mentioned, why suddenly the context makes it right!! Amazing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Here's someone else ready to defend it on the basis that because we don't know everything single thing about the 'context', who wrote them, when, and why, that it can't mean what it appears to say.

Amazing how that argument disappears when coming to the supposed non-offensive verses of The Bible. All of a sudden it is the Word of the Lord then, and should context be mentioned, why suddenly the context makes it right!! Amazing!

Who, me?

What am I defending?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Who, me?

What am I defending?

I'm sorry, I thought you were going all Philologos on the context thing, if you were actually getting his context argument in first then ignore that last post.

Happy New Year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I'm sorry, I thought you were going all Philologos on the context thing, if you were actually getting his context argument in first then ignore that last post.

Happy New Year :)
    Were you not reading pauldla's posts in the full context of this thread? :pac:

Also, in the spirit of the Bible Wordcount thread, can I just point out that there are zero instances of the word 'context' in the KJV.

Without Context:
    Genesis 1:27 - So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

With Context:
    Genesis 1:27 - So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

Leviticus 20:13 - If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

John 13:34 - A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

Romans 1:27 - And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

etc

etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Gordon wrote: »
    Were you not reading pauldla's posts in the full context of this thread? :pac:

Also, in the spirit of the Bible Wordcount thread, can I just point out that there are zero instances of the word 'context' in the KJV.

I-See-What-You-Did-There..png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Worztron

Ezekiel 16:17
    You also took the fine jewelry I gave you, the jewelry made of my gold and silver, and you made for yourself male idols and engaged in prostitution with them.

Job 31:9-10
    9 “If my heart has been enticed by a woman, or if I have lurked at my neighbor’s door, 10 then may my wife grind another man’s grain, and may other men sleep with her.

Malachi 2:2-3
    2 If you do not listen, and if you do not resolve to honor my name, says the Lord Almighty, I will send a curse on you, and I will curse your blessings. Yes, I have already cursed them, because you have not resolved to honor me.
    3 Because of you I will rebuke your descendants; I will smear on your faces the dung from your festival sacrifices, and you will be carried off with it.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement

Worztron wrote: »

Malachi 2:2-3
    2 If you do not listen, and if you do not resolve to honor my name, says the Lord Almighty, I will send a curse on you, and I will curse your blessings. Yes, I have already cursed them, because you have not resolved to honor me.
    3 Because of you I will rebuke your descendants; I will smear on your faces the dung from your festival sacrifices, and you will be carried off with it.

Ha ha stupid god I got you here. I simply don't have any festival sacrifices so where you goona get the dung? Huh? HUH?

you-mad-bro.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

haha "grind another man's grain"

if-you-know-what-i-mean-420x250.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

^^
    Joker 21:14 - Never rub another man's rhubarb

Joker-41451587797.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

The worst example of quoting the Bible out of context is when it is presented as the Word of God.

Actually I find most affronts to logic and reason happen when Christians attempt to re-interpret passages of the Old Testament "in light" of what they believe Jesus is supposed to have done. normally making a right pigs ear of it in the process.

It is always amusing to see Jews roll their eyes at Christians when they do this.

For example, can any Christian find me anywhere in the Old Testament where a distinction is made between civil, moral and ceremonial law. Anywhere?

Exodus 21:17
    And he that curseth his father, or his mother, shall surely be put to death.

Genesis 6:17
    I am going to bring floodwaters on the earth to destroy all life under the heavens, every creature that has the breath of life in it. Everything on earth will perish.

Leviticus 24:16
    Anyone who blasphemes the name of the Lord is to be put to death. The entire assembly must stone them. Whether foreigner or native-born, when they blaspheme the Name they are to be put to death.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Leviticus 24:16
    Anyone who blasphemes the name of the Lord is to be put to death. The entire assembly must stone them. Whether foreigner or native-born, when they blaspheme the Name they are to be put to death.

Brian+stoning.bmp

1 Corinthians 14:34-35
    34 Women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the law says. 35 If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church.

Deuteronomy 21:18-21
    18 If someone has a stubborn and rebellious son who does not obey his father and mother and will not listen to them when they discipline him, 19 his father and mother shall take hold of him and bring him to the elders at the gate of his town. 20 They shall say to the elders, “This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious. He will not obey us. He is a glutton and a drunkard.” 21 Then all the men of his town are to stone him to death. You must purge the evil from among you. All Israel will hear of it and be afraid.

Deuteronomy 28:53
    Because of the suffering your enemy will inflict on you during the siege, you will eat the fruit of the womb, the flesh of the sons and daughters the Lord your God has given you.

That is very odd! I made another post of 3 quotes yesterday eve (Mon-7th-Jan) and this morning they have vanished!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Deuteronomy 28:53
    Because of the suffering your enemy will inflict on you during the siege, you will eat the fruit of the womb, the flesh of the sons and daughters the Lord your God has given you.

That sounds a lot worse than abortion.

1 Corinthians 14:34-35
    34 Women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the law says. 35 If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church.

If I ever get married (I wont) and it's to a catholic who wants a traditional catholic wedding I'll be relying on this passage. It'd be nice to have her father beside us at the alter answering for her :D

"Do you ShooterSF take hypothetical woman to be your wife?"
    "I do."
    "Does your daughter take ShooterSF to be her husband, Mr hypothetical father?"
    "She does."

Ahh tradition. So beautiful. :pac:

Exodus 12:29-30
    29 At midnight the Lord struck down all the firstborn in Egypt, from the firstborn of Pharaoh, who sat on the throne, to the firstborn of the prisoner, who was in the dungeon, and the firstborn of all the livestock as well. 30 Pharaoh and all his officials and all the Egyptians got up during the night, and there was loud wailing in Egypt, for there was not a house without someone dead.

Exodus 31:15
    15 For six days work is to be done, but the seventh day is a day of sabbath rest, holy to the Lord. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day is to be put to death.

Exodus 35:2
    2 Six days shall work be done, but on the seventh day there shall be to you an holy day, a sabbath of rest to the Lord: whosoever doeth work therein shall be put to death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

That sounds a lot worse than abortion.

It is truly astounding the ignorance being displayed in this thread, wilful or otherwise. I think I've been giving some of you guys WAAYYYY too much credit over the years.

Honestly, if you have any honest interest in the subject matter (other than to rant about it), you should get yourself better informed.

JimiTime wrote: »
    It is truly astounding the ignorance being displayed in this thread, wilful or otherwise. I think I've been giving some of you guys WAAYYYY too much credit over the years.

Honestly, if you have any honest interest in the subject matter (other than to rant about it), you should get yourself better informed.

How about you post up some shocking bible quotes so if we're posting up the wrong ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

JimiTime wrote: »

Does it ever go the other way? You know say.... Biblethicus: 12:3 'And Jesus said love everyone and give each other hugs and don't be a dick' but in context it meant kill black people?

Or is it only the nasty stuff that's out of context?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Does it ever go the other way? You know say.... Biblethicus: 12:3 'And Jesus said love everyone and give each other hugs and don't be a dick' but in context it meant kill black people?

Or is it only the nasty stuff that's out of context?

If any Scripture was quoted dishonestly for example to claim universalism, namely that nobody actually needs to repent and believe to be let into heaven, or that man hasn't really sinned at all, or that Jesus never died in our place on the cross, all relatively common heresies in Scripture that are clearly false teaching, and all "nice sounding" heresies I'd still correct people on it.

Dishonestly presenting Scripture from any perspective is wrong.

However, I think it is spectacular how obstinate and stubborn some of the atheists on this forum are to correction when they are clearly wrong on something.

philologos wrote: »
    However, I think it is spectacular how obstinate and stubborn some of the atheists on this forum are to correction when they are clearly wrong on something.

Annoying ain't it..

Next thing you know we'll be wandering into threads to evangelise our non-belief, pretending to ignore anyone who asks awkward questions on the flimsy transparent excuse that it's rude, and disappearing when the going gets tough until we think everyone's forgotten about us before dishonestly doing it all over again.

Oh those atheists, eh?

17 You also took the fine jewelry I gave you, the jewelry made of my gold and silver, and you made for yourself male idols and engaged in prostitution with them.

Ezekiel 23:8
    8 She did not give up the prostitution she began in Egypt, when during her youth men slept with her, caressed her virgin bosom and poured out their lust on her.

Ezekiel 23:19-21
    19 Yet she became more and more promiscuous as she recalled the days of her youth, when she was a prostitute in Egypt. 20 There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses. 21 So you longed for the lewdness of your youth, when in Egypt your bosom was caressed and your young breasts fondled.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Sarky wrote: »
    Next thing you know we'll be wandering into threads to evangelise our non-belief, pretending to ignore anyone who asks awkward questions on the flimsy transparent excuse that it's rude, and disappearing when the going gets tough until we think everyone's forgotten about us before dishonestly doing it all over again.

Oh those atheists, eh?
    And of course we'll be relying on a 2,000 year old book of questionable origin to back up our claims.

lazygal wrote: »
    And of course we'll be relying on a 2,000 year old book of questionable origin to back up our claims.

Ah now. That would be silly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

ShooterSF wrote: »
    How about you post up some shocking bible quotes so if we're posting up the wrong ones?

Because none of you have shown either the capacity, integrity, or desire that would be required to have such an open and honest discussion. I'm not easily shocked, and seeing a lot of the tasteless language about my Lord and King that goes on around these parts at times, I wouldn't want to be. However, the awful level of 'discussion' and insight, and honesty on display here has truly astounded me. I cannot believe you guys aren't embarrassed by it, and I don't say that to inflame, it is truly shocking.

Advertisement