Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shocking Bible Quotes

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

(Genesis verses 3:25–27)
    25. And the Lord spake unto the Angel that guarded the eastern gate, saying Where is the flaming sword which was given unto thee?
    26. And the Angel said, I had it here only a moment ago, I must have put it down some where, forget my own head next.
    27. And the Lord did not ask him again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭Worztron

Exodus 14:16
    Raise your staff and stretch out your hand over the sea to divide the water so that the Israelites can go through the sea on dry ground.

Exodus 14:21-22
    21 Then Moses stretched out his hand over the sea, and all that night the Lord drove the sea back with a strong east wind and turned it into dry land. The waters were divided, 22 and the Israelites went through the sea on dry ground, with a wall of water on their right and on their left.

238706.jpg

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Worztron, that's not a *shocking* bible quote... it's just a bible quote.

Perhaps this is a sign that this thread has run it's course?

Dades wrote: »

Perhaps this is a sign that this thread has run it's course?

Wouldn't you be shocked if you saw an old man parting a sea using magic? There is a thin line between 'shocking' and plain ridiculous but I can hardly setup another thread titled 'ridiculous bible quotes' -- although perhaps I should have titled it as that initially.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

It's pretty much a given that Moses' Red Sea story is up there with Adam & Eve and Noah's Ark, not to mention some of Jesus' antics as makey-uppy stories.

I just don't see the need for point and scoff posts that haven't been prompted by some poster claiming their veracity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,167 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

You must understand that Worztron’s threshhold for shock is remarkably low. Perhaps, as a child, he saw something nasty in the woodshed. Be that as it may, it seems that all genres of literature which are not straightforward journalistic reportage shock him to his very core.

It's pretty much a given that Moses' Red Sea story is up there with Adam & Eve and Noah's Ark, not to mention some of Jesus' antics as makey-uppy stories.

I just don't see the need for point and scoff posts that haven't been prompted by some poster claiming their veracity.

Look in the highly restrictive Christianity section for the prompts. I am not scoffing, I just don't like to let religious nuts off the hook with their horror-fairytales.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    You must understand that Worztron’s threshhold for shock is remarkably low. Perhaps, as a child, he saw something nasty in the woodshed. Be that as it may, it seems that all genres of literature which are not straightforward journalistic reportage shock him to his very core.

We must understand that Peregrinus ASSumes everything.

Exodus 3 (New International Version)
    Moses and the Burning Bush
    3 Now Moses was tending the flock of Jethro his father-in-law, the priest of Midian, and he led the flock to the far side of the wilderness and came to Horeb, the mountain of God. 2 There the angel of the Lord appeared to him in flames of fire from within a bush. Moses saw that though the bush was on fire it did not burn up. 3 So Moses thought, “I will go over and see this strange sight—why the bush does not burn up.”
    4 When the Lord saw that he had gone over to look, God called to him from within the bush, “Moses! Moses!”
    And Moses said, “Here I am.”

Worztron wrote: »
    We must understand that Peregrinus ASSumes everything.
    Well, you've posted an awful lot of not-very-shocking bible quotes in a thread entitled "shocking bible quotes". You can hardly be surprised if both Dades and myself understand you to be claiming to be shocked by stuff that is not very shocking.

• Advertisement

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Well, you've posted an awful lot of not-very-shocking bible quotes in a thread entitled "shocking bible quotes". You can hardly be surprised if both Dades and myself understand you to be claiming to be shocked by stuff that is not very shocking.

As I posted in a previous post -- There is a thin line between 'shocking' and plain ridiculous but I can hardly setup another thread titled 'ridiculous bible quotes' -- although perhaps I should have titled it as that initially.

They are not supposed to be shocking merely to me (they are more amusing if anything to me) but it is shocking to know that people in the 21st century still brainwash children with this tripe.

Here's a radical idea:

If what you want to discuss is the way scripture is interpreted/applied/used, why not open a thread for that purpose?

Advertisement