Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

Am reading the autobiography by Alan Sugars.... What you see is what you get....

Great read and what is more important to me is it is written in the same format that he speaks in so i can totally hear him speaking the words... What an amazing guy.... Am thoroughly enjoying it and would highly recommend it :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/What-You-See-Get-Autobiography/dp/0330520474/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1357643241&sr=1-2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

I've just finished re-reading a series of books that I last read as a teenager about 15 years ago. The series is called "Jinny at Finmory," it's 12 books about a girl called Jinny and her family who move from the city to the Scottish highlands, where she rescues an Arabian mare and they have all kinds of strange adventures together. Jinny is guided by some mystical force which sets her challenges, such as rescuing an ancient celtic statue before archaeologists get it. There's lots about celtic mythology and mysticism, Jinny is the kind of person who doesn't fit in well in the real world but gets on well with people whom others think of as "weird" and all kinds of strange things happen to her along the way. It's a really good series and I'm enjoying it even more now because as an adult I'm picking up on things I missed when I was younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

1984 by George Orwell - About 1/4 the way through and its brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Got a couple for christmas. Read Animal Farm and Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time. Animal Farm was pretty good and I'm a fan of Orwell, I suppose its iconic at this stage. Curious Incident is the easiest book I can remember reading but it was really satisfying for some reason.

Moving on to The Alchemist, it says on the back "One of my favourite books" - Will Smith, which I thought was funny. But I'm in the mood for an uplifting one so hopefully its good.

I'm not sure if you already knew this, but Curious Incident was written as a children's book!
    A Game Of Thrones. It is fantastic! The only problem is that I have watched the TV show, and so far the first series has stayed pretty much completely faithful to the book, and I know exactly what is going to happen when it happens. Still a great read though and I can't wait to get my hands in the other ones.

I started reading them after watching the TV show too. The second book is quite a bit different to the series in parts!
    --Kaiser-- wrote: »
    The series is called A Song of Ice and Fire!
    It annoys me when people refer to the series of books as 'A Game of Thrones'.

But I'm also skeptical that George will finish the series, he's late sixties and doesn't look too healthy

Apparently he's said he doesn't have notes or anything stashed away, and if he dies "tough shit". Although he has also stated that he doesn't want the TV show to catch up on him, so I'd say he's putting himself under a lot more pressure than he has before. But then with the size of him I'd be worried about him putting himself under too much pressure :eek: Catch 22!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

Dune by Frank Herbert. This is the first sci-fi book I have read so well out of my comfort zone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Kevin Myers' Watching the Door. Pompous, arrogant, badly written ****e. Im more just seeing it through to the end to see what ridiculous fantasy he comes up with next. "I banged the wives of the entire IRA army council in a huge orgy held in the UVF headquarters on the Shankill Road."
    Gonna move on to Mark Kermode's The Good, The Bad and the Multiplex next.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Retrovertigo

I've gottten addicted to the Game of Thrones books. I'm on to the last of the current books and am getting twitchy at the thought of there possibly being another 7 or 8 year gap between books:eek:

The next book is due out next year, although it's only a tentative date as he's usually behind schedule. He's already stated that no one else will finish the books for him should anything happen but the producers of the HBO show have the gist of how it will end in case the series catches up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭brimal

Currently reading the 1Q84 trilogy by Murakami. Good read so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I'm not sure if you already knew this, but Curious Incident was written as a children's book!

Oh yea I knew, I guess I meant an easy read that gives quite a deep insight into an illness that I have only ever viewed from the outside (obviously). The effort/reward payoff was ridiculously high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Kevin Myers' Watching the Door. Pompous, arrogant, badly written ****e. Im more just seeing it through to the end to see what ridiculous fantasy he comes up with next. "I banged the wives of the entire IRA army council in a huge orgy held in the UVF headquarters on the Shankill Road."
    Gonna move on to Mark Kermode's The Good, The Bad and the Multiplex next.

Oh, that's a pity.
    In his memoir 'Hitch-22', Christopher Hitchens recommends 'Watching the Door' by Kevin Myres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt.

Fantastic book, some man.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Neuromancer by William Gibson. It's insane to think it was written in 1984 as it basically predicts the course that the internet has taken in the last 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

9959 wrote: »
    Oh, that's a pity.
    In his memoir 'Hitch-22', Christopher Hitchens recommends 'Watching the Door' by Kevin Myres.

That's settled then. I'd take the word of the Hitch over some random Boardsie

That's settled then. I'd take the word of the Hitch over some random Boardsie

I'm sure you'll agree with me that it doesn't invalidate the opinion of 'Crooked Jack'.

I haven't read the Myres book, but was thinking of 'taking a dip' following Hitchens' recommendation.

Kaiser and 9959 - sure give it a go, you might like it. there's certainly some value to his first hand experiences of events but anything of merit is soon drowned out by his endless self-aggrandising stories of dodging bullets and banging bitches. you're both welcome to my copy. How shall we decide who gets it? A good old fashioned fight to the death or shall we go the other direction and award the book to whoever can make the other person cum first?

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭md23040

The latest extract in the life and times of Ross O Carroll Kelly - The Shelbourne Ultimatum. A masochistic, egotistical, depraved, self-absorbed and arrogant South Dublin rich twat, who can constantly generate a belly full of laughs.

Great medicine during the January blues.

Kaiser and 9959 - sure give it a go, you might like it. there's certainly some value to his first hand experiences of events but anything of merit is soon drowned out by his endless self-aggrandising stories of dodging bullets and banging bitches. you're both welcome to my copy. How shall we decide who gets it? A good old fashioned fight to the death or shall we go the other direction and award the book to whoever can make the other person cum first?

Steady Jack, your final sentence leads me to believe that you might be 'overheating', perhaps our Kevin's feats of derring-do, including his 'banging of bitches', may have affected you more than you'd care to admit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Just finished the girl who kicked the hornets nest, great 3 books though the last one was a tad predictable.

Now reading roddy Doyles a star called Henry.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭missmaw

You didn't happen to be reading The 100 Year Old Man on a train to Dublin recently?

Nope that wasn't me. I tend to keep my reading out of the public eye due to my tendency for crying or laughing too much when I am reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

md23040 wrote: »
    The latest extract in the life and times of Ross O Carroll Kelly - The Shelbourne Ultimatum. A masochistic, egotistical, depraved, self-absorbed and arrogant South Dublin rich twat, who can constantly generate a belly full of laughs.

Great medicine during the January blues.
    Is it any good? Nama Mia was sort of meh, apart from a few good bits. The series has gone a bit down lately. I didn't rush to buy Shelbourne Ultimatum when it came out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Oranage2 wrote: »

Now reading roddy Doyles a star called Henry.

Let us know what you think of it. It's been on my "really must read at some stage" list for a good while but haven't got round to it yet. The basic idea sounds very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Well I never!
    I expected this type of depravity in After Hours but not in a literary thread. Good day to you sir! <replaces monocle>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Tom Wolfe's, Back To Blood enjoyed the start thouroughly but it's running out of steam half way, hopefully it will pick up.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

Apanachi wrote: »
    Me too, currently reading "Der Erlöser" (Savior) can't wait to get my hands on the next one "Schneemann" (Not sure of the English name for it - Snowman???)
    Done with "Der Erlöser" ("The Redeemer"), finsihed Snowman too, now halfway through "The Leopard", time to go out and buy "The Phantom" methinks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

David Copperfield, my first time reading something by Dickens :o

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Barna77 wrote: »
    Is it any good? Nama Mia was sort of meh, apart from a few good bits. The series has gone a bit down lately. I didn't rush to buy Shelbourne Ultimatum when it came out.

I didn't think it was great. The series has gone up and down for me. I actually enjoyed Nama Mia but the laughs are few and far between with Shelbourne Ultimatum. I'll still always keep reading them though, easy reading and get through them within a couple of days!

Well I never!
    I expected this type of depravity in After Hours but not in a literary thread. Good day to you sir! <replaces monocle>

I assume you're referring to my shameless use of "whoever" when it clearly should have been "whomever."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Stranded by Emily Barr

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭princess3901

I just finished reading The Charm Bracelet by Melissa Hill. I'm not normallly into her stuff but I loved this book and Something From Tiffanys was very good also.
    Starting to read Recipe For Love by Sasha Wagstaff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Custardpi wrote: »
    Let us know what you think of it. It's been on my "really must read at some stage" list for a good while but haven't got round to it yet. The basic idea sounds very good.

Id give it a 5/10

Not really the style i like to read, really funny in parts though i thought the story was a bit blasé.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement