Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I finished The Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons the other day, the second book of four in his Hyperion Cantos. It's really good, very very sci-fi and quite complex at times, but a great read.

For a change of pace I started Nicholas Nickleby yesterday, which'll keep my busy for a while, then I'll probably head back to sci-fi territory with Consider Phlebas by Iain M. Banks which I got today, my first Culture novel.

I just finished 'Consider Phlebas' and thought it was really good.

Now reading 'Smile or Die' by Barbara Ehrenreich.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,717 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

2 books at the moment in my Kindle. I am reading Running Blind Lee Childs and listening to a sorm of swords on audio book

• Registered Users Posts: 47 HandsomeJonny

I am reading the aquairiums of pyongyang. About a survivor of a north korean concentration camp. Shocking stuff. Well worth reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes has been sidelined for a while, until I finish "Allen Carr's Easyway How to Quit Smoking"... Not exactly literature, but it certainly seems to be a book that does exactly what it says on the tin!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Podgers

Feel the fear and do it anyway by Susan jeffers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭AnarchistKen

Jackie loves Johnser OK? By Neville Thompson

An oldie but you a goodie Dublin black comedy classic! Have the sequel too for a rainy day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,740 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

A Memory of Light, final book in the wheel of time series

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭BlueJohn

Paved with good intentions by Jared Taylor. Only started it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭rock chic

2 books at the moment in my Kindle. I am reading Running Blind Lee Childs and listening to a sorm of swords on audio book

is running blind a jack reacher story or a stand alone book ?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭rock chic

just finished "die trying " by Lee Child i love the jack Reacher series :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Id give it a 5/10

Not really the style i like to read, really funny in parts though i thought the story was a bit blasé.

Thanks, I'll put it to the back of the queue so. So much other stuff to read anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Smiley Laura

John Green's 'The Fault in our Stars'. It tried very very hard, but I don't think I'd recommend it.

I am reading the aquairiums of pyongyang. About a survivor of a north korean concentration camp. Shocking stuff. Well worth reading.

Seconded. Read it a few years ago & the account of his time in the camp has stayed with me ever since. How on earth you'd be even remotely able to function psychologically after that kind of harrowing experience is beyond me. You really, really, really don't want to p1ss off the NK regime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

World War Z

Absolute dross. I would have written better in 6th class. All the bloody characters have the same voice/tone.

Ars* gravy

• Registered Users Posts: 31,823 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

John Green's 'The Fault in our Stars'. It tried very very hard, but I don't think I'd recommend it.

It spent a whole year in the Times Best Seller charts! Haven't read it myself yet.

I'm reading The Partner by John Grisham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭lil'bug

I just finished The Death Sculptor By Chris Carter, I thought it was very good. If you like crime books you should look up his other 3 books
    Criminal By Karin Slaughter is brilliant as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

The Power Trip by Jackie Collins. Currently 10 chapters in and finding it a bit on the fluffy side, slightly Mills & Boon-ish. Still, I'm told ity has a definative turning point so I'll keep at it. If I get bored, I have "Eat, Consume, Die" by Frankie Boyle to read. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Forest Demon

First Jack Reacher, Killing floor.

Surprised that I am really enjoying it despite the sometimes corny dialogue. Will check out some of the other books in the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭McCloskey_A

I've just finished re-reading a series of books that I last read as a teenager about 15 years ago. The series is called "Jinny at Finmory," it's 12 books about a girl called Jinny and her family who move from the city to the Scottish highlands, where she rescues an Arabian mare and they have all kinds of strange adventures together. Jinny is guided by some mystical force which sets her challenges, such as rescuing an ancient celtic statue before archaeologists get it. There's lots about celtic mythology and mysticism, Jinny is the kind of person who doesn't fit in well in the real world but gets on well with people whom others think of as "weird" and all kinds of strange things happen to her along the way. It's a really good series and I'm enjoying it even more now because as an adult I'm picking up on things I missed when I was younger.

I loved these when I was younger but could never remember the names!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭The_Gatsby

First Jack Reacher, Killing floor.

Surprised that I am really enjoying it despite the sometimes corny dialogue. Will check out some of the other books in the series.

A tagline on the back of one of those books "He's like a condom packed with walnuts"

Anyway, I'm reading Tom Browns School Days and love it so far. Definitely recommend it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭audidiesel

started tim pat coogan's the famine plot. only about a third in, but finding it very interesting so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Great read; not depressing ; funny; poignant; fast; fun. Makes you think ;
    The Forced Redundancy Bookclub
    Brian Finnegan. Picked it up in the Gutter bookshop in Temple bar for myself over C-mas...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Custardpi wrote: »
    Thanks, I'll put it to the back of the queue so. So much other stuff to read anyway.

I've looked at the reviews and 90percent of people gave the book 4 or 5 stars, first time I've read roddy Doyle so if you like his other books then you might like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭stmol32

I've just discovered a well known author called James Ellroy.
    I've been hoovering up every book I can get me hands on but particualry the Underworld USA Trilogy:

American Tabloid
    The Cold Six Thousand
    Blood's a Rover

If you think you've never heard of him then check out his IMDB page and you may think "oh yeah I know that fella"

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭stmol32

I've just discovered a well known author called James Ellroy.
    I've been hoovering up every book I can get me hands on but particualry the Underworld USA Trilogy:

American Tabloid
    The Cold Six Thousand
    Blood's a Rover

If you think you've never heard of him then check out his IMDB page and you may think "oh yeah I know that fella"

• Registered Users Posts: 30,365 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

I've started reading Kathy Reichs new book Code which is co-wrote by Brendan Reichs. Can't believe I'm on to book no.18 belonging to her!

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

This side of Paradise by F. Scott Fitzgerald...lovely stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,312 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Read A Million Little Pieces by James Frey over Xmas and then the follow up My Friend Leonard. Both good reads although the writing style of the first takes a bit of getting used to but eventually flows along.

First book is his story of going into rehab for alcoholism and crack addiction. Reminded me a lot of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

Just did a search there to see if he had any others and discovered the memoirs were made up and he admitted as much on Oprah a few years ago. Kind of a reverse Lance Armstrong moment I suppose.

Probably not as interesting a read now

Almost finished "That They May Face The Rising Sun" by John McGahern. I've been somewhat neglecting Irish authors of late so thought I'd give one his books a lash. It's a fairly slow moving book so something of a challenge at times but McGahern has a great skill for character construction (the figures of John Quinn & Bill Evans are particularly striking, for very different reasons) & is an astute observer of the social structures through which small town life operates, & this amply compensates. Overall a good book but definitely not the most exciting or fast paced thing I've read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,312 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

David Copperfield, my first time reading something by Dickens :o

Any good? I don't even know the storyline. Read Great Expectations when I was about ten or eleven and hated every page but was determined to finish it. I have watched a few movies based on Dickens and enjoyed them but have been put off since then. Maybe it was too advanced for me.

Long story short...would you or anyone recommend reading Dickens to someone who hated it as a kid?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement