Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Ireland become Lawless

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Certain sections of Irish society have no regard for the law of the country.

Of course they do & they think they're being smart with it.

We all know who they are anyway.

This lot, when they have kids. usually loads.

They almost always condem those kids into being thought of as the dregs of society.

They're not as smart as they think they are really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

im wondering would the scotman that said that to you, was he on about the nutters in belfast rioting over the removal of the british flag from belfast city hall and specifically refering to them rioting

He was a Irishman living in Scotland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭An Coilean

Hootanany wrote: »
    Was over in Scotland recently Old Boy from Ireland says we have become Lawless.
    I kind of agree..

Lawless? Crime rates may be up slightly, but I don't know they could just as easily be down. There certainly has been no explosion in crime in recent times.
    People hear about crime a lot more, media is much more available, and crime has been sensationalised to ever greater extents.

Crime is still an exceptionally rare occurance in the ordinary persons life though.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,873 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

An Coilean wrote: »
    Lawless? Crime rates may be up slightly, but I don't know they could just as easily be down. There certainly has been no explosion in crime in recent times.
    People hear about crime a lot more, media is much more available, and crime has been sensationalised to ever greater extents.

Crime is still an exceptionally rare occurance in the ordinary persons life though.

I know

You would swear that cime rates had rocketed and there was no police in the country at all.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

I know

You would swear that cime rates had rocketed and there was no police in the country at all.

Are you for real this country is rife with crime.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

gbee wrote: »
    You are right, we should all disobey the law equally, don't pay park parking fines, court fines, TV licences, car tax, insurance and throw the penalty points back at the judge.

One is ruled by fear, lose that fear an one cannya be ruled.

These are all things* that at one or more times I haven't paid. :D

Bar the parking fine as I'v never got one but when I do I'll play dumb..:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 eth3

Has Ireland become Lawless

Christ almighty and the four Saints what's this? The last bastion of hope for law-abiding drysh1tes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Hootanany wrote: »
    Are you for real this country is rife with crime.

Yet another thread from Hootanany where he simply repeats the same line over and over again without any facts or evidence to back his claims up. It's like arguing with a dog except the dog makes different sounds every now and again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Yet another thread from Hootanany where he simply repeats the same line over and over again without any facts or evidence to back his claims up. It's like arguing with a dog except the dog makes different sounds every now and again

I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭CastlebarMan

My crimes since xmas:
    Drink Driving
    Driving without Tax
    Drug buying and selling.
    One fight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 eth3

My crimes since xmas:
    Drink Driving
    Driving without Tax
    Drug buying and selling.
    One fight.

Keep up the good work. The black economy is the best economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

My crimes since xmas:
    Drink Driving
    Driving without Tax
    Drug buying and selling.
    One fight.

Expected in the Wild West!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭LiffeyValleyB

My crimes since xmas:
    Drink Driving
    Driving without Tax
    Drug buying and selling.
    One fight.
    Fighting isn't a crime... Neither is drug selling IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

I have always found Ireland to be a very safe place.

Its at its most dangerous on a night out when its real busy - like a bank holiday. Always lots of fights and people getting attacked.(where i live anyway) I would say that if you took the alcohol out of Ireland then there would be very little violence or at least it would be significantly reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

My crimes since xmas:
    Drink Driving
    Driving without Tax
    Drug buying and selling.
    One fight.

You sound like great fun. I hope to never find myself near you while you're driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭LiffeyValleyB

You sound like great fun. I hope to never find myself near you while you're driving.
    Is that in case he tries to sell you some drugs?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Is that in case he tries to sell you some drugs?

Car fight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Furious_George

My crimes since xmas:
    Drink Driving
    Driving without Tax
    Drug buying and selling.
    One fight.

I dont like you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭pabloh999

Is Ireland lawless?
    No, no it isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 154 ✭✭beaner88

I dont like you very much.

All victimless crimes.

If somebody is arrested for drunk driving who does the Garda mention as "injured party"?

If two guys have a fight, who is put down as injured party?

beaner88 wrote: »
    If somebody is arrested for drunk driving who does the Garda mention as "injured party"?

If two guys have a fight, who is put down as injured party?

The same answer for both questions: the dead one.

I sincerely hope you're a troll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I don't know if I'd say 'lawless', but if I were going to be a criminal, I'd be happy enough to do it in Ireland.

I really feel like the laws here are very forgiving...and lots of things that are illegal aren't enforced.

I'm actually giving serious consideration to just not paying my rent. Not because I have any good reason not to pay; but because of the stories I've heard about how the eviction process works. Who wouldn't benefit from six months of no rent?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Are u for real wake up I agree.

The same answer for both questions: the dead one.

I sincerely hope you're a troll.

Oh did the guy who originally brought this up kill two people? No. Victimless crimes so he is hardly scum of the century.

Oh did the guy who originally brought this up kill two people? No. Victimless crimes so he is hardly scum of the century.

How do you know? It's quite easy to die in a streetfight (impact from hitting the ground, for example) and alcohol is believed to be a contributing factor in 1/3 of fatal road collisions in Ireland.

How someone could claim that such crimes are universally victimless is genuinely mystifying.

And I personally consider anyone who drink drives, regardless of whether they cause an accident, as scum.

How do you know? It's quite easy to die in a streetfight (impact from hitting the ground, for example) and alcohol is believed to be a contributing factor in 1/3 of fatal road collisions in Ireland.

How someone could claim that such crimes are universally victimless is genuinely mystifying.

And I personally consider anyone who drink drives, regardless of whether they cause an accident, as scum.

So you think I'm scum then? There are different shades of drink driver. There are people like me who do try to be responsible as possible and minimise the impact of whatever alcohol or drug we're on by being extra vigilant. Driving slowly with care.

Some countries allow drink driving but you will find yourself in far worse trouble if you do cause an incident or a death. If you don't cause any issues then it is not a crime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Some countries allow drink driving but you will find yourself in far worse trouble if you do cause an incident or a death. If you don't cause any issues then it is not a crime.

It's a real shame that the bad drink drivers had to ruin it for the rest of us.

Wait.. Hang on..

Advertisement