Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Ireland become Lawless

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

beaner88 wrote: »
    So you think I'm scum then? There are different shades of drink driver. There are people like me who do try to be responsible as possible and minimise the impact of whatever alcohol or drug we're on by being extra vigilant. Driving slowly with care.

Some countries allow drink driving but you will find yourself in far worse trouble if you do cause an incident or a death. If you don't cause any issues then it is not a crime.

I do, yes.

How effective do you think your efforts to be vigilant can be when you're under the influence of an intoxicant?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭CastlebarMan

Everybody Drink Drives in rural Ireland. Fact.
    Everbody bates the crap out of each other in Rural Ireland. Fact.
    Everbody is on Drugs in Rural Ireland. Fact.
    Everbody kills there first daughter in Rural Ireland. Fact.

Oh, that makes it ok so, as does the fact that no-one in Ireland's ever been killed in a fight or a car crash involving a drunk driver.

It's a sad day for a forum when you can't tell if half the posters are trolling or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Everbody is on Drugs in Rural Ireland. Fact.
    Everbody kills there first daughter in Rural Ireland. Fact.

Everyone in Castlebar worships Padraig Flynn ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭CastlebarMan

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Everyone in Castlebar worships Padraig Flynn ;)

You forgot to add the word FACT to that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

The Mayans were wrong. FACT.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Hootanany wrote: »
    I really don't get you
    Criminals are taking over are Country and you are taking up about my spelling and grammar just saying Ireland is getting Lawless that is all I don't have an agenda what's your problem then.

Ireland is not being taken over by vagabonds and brigands but I would agree that your spelling and grammar is most certainly criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

old hippy wrote: »
    Ireland is not being taken over by vagabonds and brigands but I would agree that your spelling and grammar is most certainly criminal.

Bog Orf

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Bog Orf

Wake up

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I am awake.

• Advertisement

Bog Orf

That's your proof that Ireland has been taken over by criminals, is it?

Astounding.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

lol @ your mans comment , country being taken over by criminals.

would you ever get a grip, jesus christ did you just walk out of your house for the first time this week?

Criminals don't fear the Guards anymore Soft Judges Hotel like Prisons,
    I could go on.

I could go on.

Please don't.
    You've contributed nothing of substance to your own thread.

Ally Dick wrote: »
    . Look at the A&E departments with the staff on a passive aggressive go-slow. They want things to come to a head so that Minister Reilly will give in.

This may well be the biggest pile of horse**** I've ever read on boards, and that's saying something.

Please don't.
    You've contributed nothing of substance to your own thread.

I have just asked a question go figure that out Einstien.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

This will end well

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Einstien.
    Einstien? who's that then? i've heard of einstein but never Einstien. tell me more.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

I could go on.

With more poorly conceived cliches with not a shred of evidence to back them up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Hippies!

Nice thread.

• Advertisement

Hippies! wrote: »
    Nice thread.

Do you think it's become lawless? Ireland, that is, not the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Ireland is not lawless, indeed it has a relatively low crime rate by International standards.
    However for those unfortunate enough to be a victim of crime, the above is probably of lttle comfort.

• Site Banned Posts: 28 Judge Weiner

There are feck all guards around these days. You could break the law and face a very good chance of getting away with it. Even if you get caught, the worst you get is a fine which will turn into a few hours in the reception of a massively overcrowded prison.

Crime pays.

Ireland is not lawless, indeed it has a relatively low crime rate by International standards.
    However for those unfortunate enough to be a victim of crime, the above is probably of lttle comfort.

In the 80s & early 90s, I had knives pulled on me several times, been beaten, asked for heroin when I was 14 :eek: and mugged and other criminal happenings. I told this to an ould fella once, who was from Dublin and he said, it reminded him of growing up in the 50s and 60s! I'm pretty sure people were saying much the same thing back then :D

Ireland is not lawless. There does seem to be a lot more paranoid people around these days, mind...

There are feck all guards around these days. You could break the law and face a very good chance of getting away with it. Even if you get caught, the worst you get is a fine which will turn into a few hours in the reception of a massively overcrowded prison.

Crime pays.

Links? Evidence to back up claims? Get caught doing what, exactly?

• Site Banned Posts: 28 Judge Weiner

Links? Evidence to back up claims? Get caught doing what, exactly?
    It is a well documented fact that those who are arrested on foot of penal warrants for non payment of fines only serve hours of their sentences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Hippies!

Do you think it's become lawless? Ireland, that is, not the thread.

Ireland; nope.

Thread; Yes & very enjoyable :pac:

I'm easily entertained.

Piriz wrote: »
    the actual story is he committed tax fraud to the tune of €1.6 million..

And thats fair enough but its not that as such but the blatant inconsistencies in the law. Do judges have a bit too much autonomy for one? I mean you hear of people been thrown into prison for not having dog licences or tv licences when surely a bit of community service would be better. Jail should be the last resort.

On the other hand perhaps judges are influenced to give less harsh sentences for serious crimes because of the cost of keeping prisoners and the fact that the jails are full.

I know its broken record stuff at this stage but tax fraud to the cost of €1.6m in comparison to our friends in 'that bank' (amongst others). I mean there seems to be no legal consistency. If your in the right circle you get away with things and i doubt many are imagining it

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭dar926

Its no more lawless than it ever was.. Paul Williams would like you to believe it is But we are on our 3rd or 4th Heroin epidemic at this stage... We have always had organised crime... be it "Republicans and Loyalists "Liberating Monies for the cause" and planting bombs and shooting people or today's Sunday World crime pin ups... Or the decades of criminal politicians.. We have seen it all before really... Maybe during the 70s and 80s we were hearing more about the war in the north than the heroin problem in Dublin but that doesn't mean it wasn't there...

• Advertisement

And thats fair enough but its not that as such but the blatant inconsistencies in the law. Do judges have a bit too much autonomy for one? I mean you hear of people been thrown into prison for not having dog licences or tv licences when surely a bit of community service would be better. Jail should be the last resort.

On the other hand perhaps judges are influenced to give less harsh sentences for serious crimes because of the cost of keeping prisoners and the fact that the jails are full.

I know its broken record stuff at this stage but tax fraud to the cost of €1.6m in comparison to our friends in 'that bank' (amongst others). I mean there seems to be no legal consistency. If your in the right circle you get away with things and i doubt many are imagining it

^^^
    This
    top post

Advertisement