Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭Nollog

How's the battery life on the controller?

Played trine 2 exclusively on it two nights ago for 4-5 hours and it was just flashing red at that stage.
    flashing red means very close to dead.
    So 4-5 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Wont be long before a third party brings out a lovely (or not) battery pack/cover/case etc. How long does it take to charge from dead as a door nail by the way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Has anyone game froze on them by any chance ?

i was playing sonic all star racing transformed and about 5 races my console just locks and froze , had to unplug the plug from the wall to get it working again.
    Thank god nothing was corrupted.

it seems i am not the only one though , i seen a thread on ign people games locking up on them playing nsmb and nintendoland aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 impalingnubs

i gave up on the nintendo wii long ago. don't think the Wii U will change things for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

bazzz wrote: »
    You mean this ;)
    Spoiler Alert : For those of you who want to experience it firsthand....

fracking superb! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Been playing Mario mostly so far. Tried a bit of COD BLOPS 2, as well. Mario has been excellent as usual.

The console has its issues, with the menus taking ages to load sometimes. Hopefully, some of this stuff is fixed in a future update.

Oh and my Nintendo id is weseire, same as my xbox one. Feel free to add me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/44466/uk-charts-nintendo-land-is-the-best-selling-wii-u-game/

Nintendo Land is top selling WiiU game in the UK, getting to No. 11 in the charts. Mario was 2nd (14) and ZombiU (17) was 3rd. Kind of as expected, I suppose.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Opened it yesterday just to check that everything is there as it shoukld be for Christmas (Zombi U edition). Beautifully crafted controllers :)

Will pick up NSMBWU between now and Christmas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I popped open the box on Friday just enough to lift the manual and see that the game was in the box. The itch to hook it up is almost unbearable!

It's like "The Telltale Heart"...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 237 ✭✭andre2010

Picked mine up on Friday morning in HMV at 8am. I didn’t pre book but they had 2 spare, I was very lucky.

Got Premium Pack
    NSMBWiiu
    Black Ops 2
    Nintendoland.

You can use away no bother without the firmware update. Just Wii U stuff. The main menu dramatically changes after the firmware update though.

I have noticed that loading back to the menu, or even loading the game ( just initially) takes about 10 seconds. A bit annoying.

The firmware update took me about 2 hours. But that could have been because everyone was doing it at the same time.

Mario is fantastic, as usual.
    Nintendoland is great fun with mates.
    Black ops blew me away on the gamepad, so crisp and colourful.

Ive used Netflix, it works flawlessly. Movies load instantaneously back and forth between the tv or the gamepad.

Battery lasts about 4-5 hours, and takes about 2 to fully charge from nothing, but the wire you get to charge is particularly long so playing while charging isn’t an issue either. Only gripe. Why does nintendo give you a lovely sexy black slick machine and gamepad, but stick you with a horrible grey matt finish AC Adaptor and HDMI cable? its really odd looking and cheap.

Youtube app sucks, cant figure it out and cant get the videos to play on the gamepad just the tv. The gamepad is used to select a video.

Ive had no issues with it at all. I live in an apartment, ground floor and have no issues playing in my bedroom on the gamepad and my wii u consoles is at the opposite end of my apartment. Not sure of the distance, but its not a small apartment by any means.

Any questions you have, give me a shout on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

andre2010 wrote: »
    Youtube app sucks, cant figure it out and cant get the videos to play on the gamepad just the tv. The gamepad is used to select a video.

Don't bother with the Youtube app, the browser can do HTML 5 video, and is much better than the Youtube app. Don't even know why they bothered with it, when the browser can handle Youtube video just fine. You can play video from the browser on either the tv or the game pad as well using the browser.

wes wrote: »
    Don't bother with the Youtube app, the browser can do HTML 5 video, and is much better than the Youtube app. Don't even know why they bothered with it, when the browser can handle Youtube video just fine. You can play video from the browser on either the tv or the game pad as well using the browser.

Ahh brilliant, thanks for the tip mate, i didnt realize this. Apparently if you also put your computers IP address into the browser, you can stream any MP4 video you have on your pc through the Wii u, on the tv or the gamepad, pretty cool

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sparkthatbled

Anyone else notice how slow the menus are to load? It's a bit annoying, surely it should be pretty much instant, at least less than 5 seconds. Anyone any idea why they are like this? Seems like a pretty big oversight to me, maybe they were just in such a hurry to get them built and on the market before xmas, but very unlike Nintendo to release a console thats not completely polished...

Hope it doesn't herald Nintendo joining Sony and Microsoft in their apparent policy of letting those who buy launch consoles weed out the bugs for them instead of employing beta testers...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-12-03-amazon-replacing-missing-nintendo-land-games-with-download-codes

Amazon is replacing the missing Nintendo Land from the Premium bundles with a download code for it instead. Not sure if everone will be happy with that as it's not really what they ordered.

Amazon are sending out physical copies to anyone who requests one!.

Yeah the Load times are ridiculous between some menus, but id imagine thats just something to be ironed out in a future update. Its not that bad, its not commadore 64 load times we are talking here, just a few seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Yep. The YouTube app is horrendous.

I want to see the latest videos from the channels I'm subscribed to but instead it shows me all their activity such as liking other videos.

YouTube works brilliantly in the browser though. You can watch a video on the TV while using the gamepad to search for another video or to read comments. (although reading comments on youtube is only for masochists)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,888 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

andre2010 wrote: »
    Amazon are sending out physical copies to anyone who requests one!.

Yeah the Load times are ridiculous between some menus, but id imagine thats just something to be ironed out in a future update. Its not that bad, its not commadore 64 load times we are talking here, just a few seconds.

Now I want someone to hack the Wii U just so can get the flashing lines and loading sound when a game's loading up.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Guys can someone please list the prices of the basic, premium and the zombi u versions ASAP please :-)

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Guys can someone please list the prices of the basic, premium and the zombi u versions ASAP please :-)

Smyths/Gamestop:
    Basic €319.99
    Premium €379.99
    ZombiU €419.99

HMV:
    Basic €314.99
    Premium €374.99
    ZombiU €414.99

Argos:
    Basic €339.99
    Premium €379.99
    ZombiU €459.99

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Can anyone tell me if fifa 13 is playable on the gamepad only????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Can anyone tell me if fifa 13 is playable on the gamepad only????

Yes it is, and thoroughly enjoyable too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

How glitchy are the likes of AC3 and FIFA 13 compared to other platforms?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Can you control the Mii Hub on the tv with the Gamepad? or do you always get the menu on the Gamepad/Mii Hub on tv and vice versa. I thought I've done this already but not sure.

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/44503/best-wii-u-games-for-2013-to-be-showcased-in-new-nintendo-direct/

There's a Nintendo Direct on at 5pm tomorrow showing off 2013's Wii U (and 3ds) games. Hopefully something new might be announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Anyone think Dead Space 3 and Bioshock 3 will be on the WiiU?

Corholio wrote: »
    Can you control the Mii Hub on the tv with the Gamepad? or do you always get the menu on the Gamepad/Mii Hub on tv and vice versa. I thought I've done this already but not sure.

This can be controlled on both gamepad and tv, there is a button on the top right corner of the gamepad that will allow you to switch this between tv and gamepad depending on your preference.

GTR63 wrote: »
    How glitchy are the likes of AC3 and FIFA 13 compared to other platforms?

I cannot comment on AC3, but can say that Fifa 2013 works perfectly, although its not Fifa 2013 in reality, its 2012 with a few tweaks, no idea why EA did that, but if your looking for 2013 replicated on the wii u, you will be disappointed. But its still a good footie game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Anyone think Dead Space 3 and Bioshock 3 will be on the WiiU?

Dead space 3 maybe but im ruling out bioshock infinite all together

tbh games like dead space 3 and bioshock that have being worked on xbox and ps3 is going to suffer on wii u if its a straight port.

looking at the likes of batman, assassin creed and few other games all suffered in frame rate issues , that's not necessarily the wii u fault but just developers taken a code and bringing it over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Crud, better hang onto my 360 for a year longer so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

I can eventually say I have one, fecking couriers.

Setup wasn't exactly a quick process though, its done now, but would not like to be doing that Xmas day with kids watching.

Only played NSMB for about an hour and a half, good fun. Still getting used to the screen on the gamepad, would sometimes find myself looking at that and forgetting it was also on the large TV in front of me :-/

Advertisement