Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Having to go to church: Should I stand?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

that'd be the height of ignorance. the reception is for the people who attended the wedding. you either go to the church, or don't go at all.

if you receive a wedding invite, please do not contact the couple to let them know you'll just be attending the reception. it'd be rude and you'd be placing them in an awkward position. just say you can't go.

Thats rubbish. Ive gone to just the reception on 2 occasions in the last year and I didnt draw attention to it in either case. The first was because my husband couldnt get off work in time for the church and the second was because of car trouble.

The reception is not for people who attended the church and you are very naive if you think it is. I advise you to do a head count at the next wedding you go to in the church and again at the meal - plenty of people choose not to go to the church or cant make it to the church.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

Does anybody know how many weight watchers points are in a jesus? I can't seem to find it in the book.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,856 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Thats rubbish. Ive gone to just the reception on 2 occasions in the last year and I didnt draw attention to it in either case. The first was because my husband couldnt get off work in time for the church and the second was because of car trouble.

The reception is not for people who attended the church and you are very naive if you think it is. I advise you to do a head count at the next wedding you go to in the church and again at the meal - plenty of people choose not to go to the church or cant make it to the church.
    if i remember correctly, someone on here who was having a humanist ceremony was contacted by several people to ask was there any need to show up for the ceremony since they obviously reckoned it had no meaning.
    iirc, the general consensus was if you're invited to a wedding, the wedding is the primary event and the reception the secondary one.

i'd certainly consider it rude to ignore the wedding ceremony and turn up for the reception unless the circumstances were unavoidable.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I stand and kneel along with everyone else.
    Yeah, there's a world of difference between choosing not to bother with the church, and not being able to make it.

Turning up only for the free meal because you couldn't be arsed with the ceremony bit is bad form no matter what way you want to paint it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

I stand for the standing and sit for the rest. I'm not doing the obeisance
    gestures

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

lazygal wrote: »
    No, no, no. Jesus was a gluten free miracle. So everyone could enjoy his tasty, tasty flesh.
    Aren't we all gluten free (other than that tasty, tasty cake I just ate)? I'd hardly call him a miracle in that case.

There's a difference between not attending the ceremony because you can't make it, and not attending because you have an issue with the type of ceremony. Sometimes on this forum someone who is planning a non-religious wedding will ask what to do about a relative who doesn't want to come to the ceremony because they don't think it's 'real' if it's not in a church, and they are often told to advise the relative to not bother showing up for the reception in that case. I wouldn't expect anything different from a couple planning a religious wedding: if you can't put aside your hang ups and at least show up at the ceremony, don't bother showing up at the reception.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Sean O Hara

I'm not a sheep, therefore I do not follow the herd.

This is a remembrance mass for your mom’s/dad’s father and yet you have found a way to get the families attention on you.

Grow up and stop making a fool of yourself. Everything in life is not about you or your pathetic attempts at teenage rebellion.

Rgds,
    Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

if i remember correctly, someone on here who was having a humanist ceremony was contacted by several people to ask was there any need to show up for the ceremony since they obviously reckoned it had no meaning.
    iirc, the general consensus was if you're invited to a wedding, the wedding is the primary event and the reception the secondary one.e.
    I think that might have been me? We had a couple of no shows for the wedding ceremony, we've come to terms with the fact some people are pr!cks.

This is a remembrance mass for your mom’s/dad’s father and yet you have found a way to get the families attention on you.

Grow up and stop making a fool of yourself. Everything in life is not about you or your pathetic attempts at teenage rebellion.

Rgds,
    Sean
    Hi Sean!

You should read the thread. People have managed to convey similar opinions, but a little more constructively, and within the charter. Feel free to contribute when you think you can do that.

/Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

I can't believe in a thread full of atheists, in a forum full of even more atheists, and having read through the whole thread so far, nobody picked up on this little langer clanger on the first page-
    J0hnick wrote: »
    What they couldn't stop me from doing though was kneeling in the most unenthusiastic way, throwing my eyes up to heaven, muttering stuff quietly to myself, and shaking my head whenever the priest would quote scripture and claim that it was all gods work that the couple had met and fallen in love ... followed by a hymn about how great god is ... and me face palming (literally) during the readings when they told the story about Eve being a rib lady...

An atheist says where now? :p

But anyway, not to play devil's advocate here, but as a roman catholic myself, and speaking from my albeit limited understanding of what it is to be an atheist- a lack of belief in a deity, why does it actually matter so much to do the catholic pilates (i liked that expression! :D) for the forty minutes if you believe there is no particular signifigance in it? I just can't fathom the depth of abhorrence I guess for something that atheists consider irrelevant? As someone else pointed out earlier in the thread- "When in Rome...".

I mean, if you're really that bent out of shape about participating, then don't, but the whole eye rolling, arm folding, muttering, etc, that's just plain disrespectful, in ANY environment, irrespective of the fact of whether you are scornful of somebody elses beliefs or not. When I go to somebody's house and they ask me to take off my shoes at the door, I think it's a bit silly, and I feel a bit ridiculous, but I would still at the same time do it out of respect as it is their house, not mine, so I abide by their rules. I don't get all bent out of shape about it as I'm usually only there for an hour or so to do a job and then go. If I was that bad about it, I have the choice to turn around and leave and keep my shoes on!

The same is true for atheists- If you do not want to respect the beliefs of those in attendance, nobody has glue on your shoes that you cannot turn around and leave, rather than make a mockery of those who actually want to be there.

Anyway, with all that said, as already mentioned, I'm an RC myself, and growing up I was the black sheep of the family, one could say I was the bane of my fathers existence. So, at his funeral anyway and I was running a bit late for the mass. We had never really seen eye to eye and even though I am catholic, even Jesus had people who p!ssed him off, and lets not go there with the amount of people God had according to the old testament who p!ssed HIM off, so basically myself and my father p!ssed each other off, and we had very little in the way of time for each other.

But I went to his funeral, turned up about ten minutes late, and didn't want to make a scene, seeing as the rest of the family were all up at the front of the church, I felt it would be hypocritical of me to go sit with them and pretend like we were all some close bond family nonsense. I had no respect for the man at this stage anyway having tried and failed numerous times at the tolerance and forgiveness route.

So I was standing at the back of the church with everyone else, when one of the neighbours recognised me and grabbed me by my elbow, "go on up there to the front" he said. I glared at him for being so forceful and said "i'm grand here, thanks!". But he persisted- "go on, go on up there!"... I was rather irate at this stage when I leaned into his ear and whispered "I'm only here because I wanted to be sure for myself this time!" (My father had a quad bypass done two years earlier and when he thought he was on his deathbed before the operation "wanted to make his peace". He came out of it fine and it wasn't long before he was back to his arrogant, indignant self). The neighbour understood the reference and disappeared back into the crowd.

I left after the mass was done and there was no big deal made of anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭xxmeabhxx

Czarcasm wrote: »
    But anyway, not to play devil's advocate here, but as a roman catholic myself, and speaking from my albeit limited understanding of what it is to be an atheist- a lack of belief in a deity, why does it actually matter so much to do the catholic pilates (i liked that expression! :D) for the forty minutes if you believe there is no particular signifigance in it? I just can't fathom the depth of abhorrence I guess for something that atheists consider irrelevant? As someone else pointed out earlier in the thread- "When in Rome...".

I mean, if you're really that bent out of shape about participating, then don't, but the whole eye rolling, arm folding, muttering, etc, that's just plain disrespectful, in ANY environment, irrespective of the fact of whether you are scornful of somebody elses beliefs or not. When I go to somebody's house and they ask me to take off my shoes at the door, I think it's a bit silly, and I feel a bit ridiculous, but I would still at the same time do it out of respect as it is their house, not mine, so I abide by their rules. I don't get all bent out of shape about it as I'm usually only there for an hour or so to do a job and then go. If I was that bad about it, I have the choice to turn around and leave and keep my shoes on!

The same is true for atheists- If you do not want to respect the beliefs of those in attendance, nobody has glue on your shoes that you cannot turn around and leave, rather than make a mockery of those who actually want to be there.

I'd have to agree with you and I'm an atheist. I completely understand how someone could have disrespect for organized religion and dread going to a church for whatever reason but if I do have to go for a family occasion of some sort I think it would be rude to eye roll and mutter. I wouldn't take communion nor would I say prayers but I'd stand and kneel and not bother the people who invited me there.

I think it's just basic politeness and you don't have to compromise your beliefs or views, you don't have to pray or do anything which is Christian but I'd do enough to cooperate and show respect.

I'd do it for any religion, not just Christianity.

Czarcasm, I assume the above was directed at the poster you quoted, as it appears from this thread that a large majority of non-believers do not engage in eye-rolling and muttering, and instead show due respect for the occasion, if not the religion. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Maggie 2

I do the whole shebang... standing, kneeling, praying, communion etc...
    Why didn't you just stay at home? It wouldn't have hurt you to go through the motions of standing and kneeling. It would have been a mark of respect.

Dades wrote: »
    Czarcasm, I assume the above was directed at the poster you quoted, as it appears from this thread that a large majority of non-believers do not engage in eye-rolling and muttering, and instead show due respect for the occasion, if not the religion. :)

Yes Dades, sorry about that, it wasn't meant as taking a broad sweep at all the posters in here or their points of view. Another thing that struck me though was the whole objection to kneeling thing as if it made posters feel subservient to the church or god, I think it was yourself even posted the Zod video, but WHY it struck me was that posters felt that way for something they had no belief in anyway so why does it matter just to go through the motions? Hmm, I'm trying to think how can I explain that one better or think of an example to illustrate a similar position. It's a hard one because some atheists have much more of an intolerance of others beliefs than other atheists who really couldn't give a fiddlers. I think that's it-

If you don't believe in a deity, then why give it any signifigance at all by making a point of not kneeling, standing, etc. I go to mass every sunday and nobody eyeballs me for not kneeling (I simply can't because I have arthritis in my knees!), but then I don't make a point of it myself either.

I think SOME posters on this thread almost want to make a POINT of the fact that they are atheists and get noticed for it (not ALL posters!), and I imagine are almost disappointed when nobody takes any notice of them!

I guess I'm just surprised by the amount of atheist posters who lament the "old catholic ireland traditions", yet toe the line for religious ceremonies to keep the peace within the family. If you believe in the lack of a deity (speaking generally to all atheists Dades, not any poster specifically), then have the courage at least to stand by your principles and don't p!ss and moan about having to participate in religious ceremonies when really, you don't actually HAVE to as nobody is actually twisting your elbow to be there!

EDIT: Sorry, I meant to add too for the poster now I think of it that wasn't too sure where to put their hands when standing- I usually place my hands on the back of the pew in front of me to support myself as standing for me too can be a bit problematic and a pain in the... knees! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭car.kar

I do the whole shebang... standing, kneeling, praying, communion etc...
    Ah here, just stand up.

If it was your friend's funeral and they were an atheist, and you knew that your friend wanted all of their family and friends to just talk about his life and remember the good times, and someone started singing hymns and prayers about god, you'd be annoyed on behalf of your mate. Because its disrespectful to their beliefs.

Your granddad was obviously religious and wanted his funeral in a church. You didn't have to sing, you didn't have to pray, you didn't have to take communion or anything of the sort, but if you went to the effort of even attending the mass, you might aswell just stand up. Otherwise you should have just worn your "I'm an atheist" jumper. You're in a church - do what church people do. If you were having an atheist funeral, you'd be annoyed if the christians attending to kneel down and start praying for the deceased person's soul.

I stand and kneel in church because following the rules is the polite thing to do when you're in someone else's 'house' as such, regardless of what you believe - just don't pray or sing hymns.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Rgds,
    Sean
    Although I'd tend to agree in principle Sean, 'pathetic attempts at teenage rebellion' may be a little harsh. Principles are important at that age. The bigger picture sometimes escaped me from time to time as a young fella. As I'm sure it did every cynical adult reading this?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,365 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

endacl wrote: »
    Principles are important at that age.

Unfortunately too many people 'learn' as they grow older to discard principle for pragmatism.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

ninja900 wrote: »

Unfortunately too many people 'learn' as they grow older to discard principle for pragmatism.
    Otherwise known as choosing your battles? Family occasions have never tended to make ideal battlegrounds...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭swampgas

Are you not disrespecting the Church and/or believers by just 'playing along with the routine'?

More importantly, IMO, aren't you also disrespecting yourself?

that'd be the height of ignorance. the reception is for the people who attended the wedding. you either go to the church, or don't go at all.

Nonsense. Every wedding I've ever been to has had people at the reception who were not at the ceremony - often a substantial number. The couple would rather they attended the reception only (for whatever reason) than not at all. I've never received a wedding invitation that said 'you better turn up for the church, or else pizz off'
    if you receive a wedding invite, please do not contact the couple to let them know you'll just be attending the reception. it'd be rude and you'd be placing them in an awkward position. just say you can't go.

More nonsense. There are all sorts of reasons why people only attend wedding receptions. Yet they are made feel welcome.
    I could invent a credible childcare excuse if it'd make them feel better.
    But if they really are such self-important prigs to demand compliance with the entire programme, or not at all, then I'd be more than happy to forgo the whole thing. Thankfully I don't know anyone who behaves like that.

In fairness until humanist ceremonies are legally binding here then they could have a point :pac: If I'd had objections from devout Christians to attending my civil wedding ceremony I'd have been happy to accommodate that.

As far as I'm aware though, there is no humanist control of 93% of schools ramming atheism down the throats of the kids of believers, they are not on hospital ethics committees forcing doctors to carry out abortions, they are not telling Christians they will suffer in eternity, they are not part of a worldwide conspiracy to facilitate and cover up the rape of children on a massive scale. There are plenty of valid reasons why many poeple like me find the Roman Catholic Church and everything to do with it reprehensible.
    iirc, the general consensus was if you're invited to a wedding, the wedding is the primary event and the reception the secondary one.

Not in Ireland. The church is just to show off (almost always) and in any case the real event is the reception.
    I know couples who've never been in church since they left school, either of them, yet not doing the church wedding thing was unthinkable. If that's what they want (or are willing to go along with due to family pressure) then fine - but they know and I know that the church ceremony is only for the relatives and means nothing to these couples. They don't care if an athiest friend turns up at the church bit or not, precisely because the church ceremony means nothing to them, it's just to be seen to be doing the done thing for the relatives.
    i'd certainly consider it rude to ignore the wedding ceremony and turn up for the reception unless the circumstances were unavoidable.

Plenty of people did that at my (civil) wedding, I didn't ask them to provide a doctor's note or anything, I was glad that they were able to make the reception part rather than not turn up at all.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

endacl wrote: »
    Otherwise known as choosing your battles? Family occasions have never tended to make ideal battlegrounds...

Battleground is the wrong attitude to take.
    Your family should accept you as you are, gay or straight, believer or atheist, whatever.
    If they can't accept that, that doesn't mean you should go along with being something that you're not. That never leads to a good place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

I stand, but don't kneel.
    This seems like a silly, morbid question but what do athiests do here for funerals? At home we have funeral homes where you can have either a denominational or non religious service. Church funerals are rare, most people choose the funeral homes. It seems that here everyone has their funeral in a church.

There's a bunch of threads to found about atheist funerals with the search function. Let's try and keep at least one thread on topic this month. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,856 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Nonsense. Every wedding I've ever been to has had people at the reception who were not at the ceremony - often a substantial number.
    i can honestly say that i can't remember an occasion where a friend had failed to turn up for the ceremony but turned up for the reception.

looks like we'll have to agree to disagree anyway - it's one thing to miss the ceremony because you're late or cannot make it for legitimate reasons, and another thing entirely to miss the ceremony out of choice but still turn up for the meal. i think the latter is extremely rude.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

I stand, but don't kneel.
    There's a bunch of threads to found about atheist funerals with the search function. Let's try and keep at least one thread on topic this month. :)

Sorry. Appear to be bad at that! :)

You are by no means alone!

Your family should accept you as you are, gay or straight, believer or atheist, whatever.
    If they can't accept that, that doesn't mean you should go along with being something that you're not. That never leads to a good place.

After having thought about this thread for the last while, I often think of things later that I could have mentioned earlier, and I was reminded of my brother's wedding. He and his wife are RC, as is most of my family, except for my sister, who is actually muslim (she converted, actually now I think of it, I don't think her husband was at the wedding ceremony, but he and their children were at the reception!).

My sister was able to observe the catholic pilates (I'm loving that phrase! :D), but the reason most people will remember the ceremony, is for the woman that was sitting beside my sister in the front row, who decided to "fall asleep" and snore rather loudly, and when my sister nudged her to wake her up, she sniggered and snorted through the rest of the mass. Thanks mum! She made a complete tit of herself for god only knows why because she didn't possess the decorum to act in an appropriate and respectful manner.

This is why some of the posts in the thread annoy me, It's not the fact that people are atheists at all, it's the fact that some posters lack the decorum to act in an appropriate and respectful manner as if they purposely have to go in and act in such a juvenile fashion simply "to prove a point". Most people there really couldn't give a fiddlers, and the only one the atheist person is truly embarrassing, is themselves.

As I read through more and more threads in the forum too, it seems to bear out my initial thoughts that most atheists are what I call natural atheists- they have no grievance with religion, they just don't believe in a deity, and then there are a small minority who are what I call rebellious atheists- those who have become atheist purely because of their various issues with religion. The rebellious atheists are the type that I find annoying because they seem to go out of their way to make a statement of their rebellion.

In my opinion, this only does a dis-service to atheism, because people would see them as a bit, well, "unhinged" and irrational, the very thing these rebellious atheists seem to want to dismiss people who believe in a deity for!

As one poster mentioned earlier- you really DO have to pick your battles, and I understand they didn't mean battles in the aggressive sense of the word, but in the way that if you come across to people as a confrontational and arrogant person, they aren't going to give you much time, and so your message is lost, but if you talk to people, you have a much better chance of getting your message across than behaving like a juvenille and stroppy rebellious teenager with no regard for anybody but yourself.

Can we not show some Christian* decency to a new arrival to our forum, and at that, a foreigner?

I know love bombing is a well known cultish tactic, but could we at least neutral-bomb :pac:

* yes, yes, I know

Czarcasm wrote: »
    This is why some of the posts in the thread annoy me, It's not the fact that people are atheists at all, it's the fact that some posters lack the decorum to act in an appropriate and respectful manner as if they purposely have to go in and act in such a juvenile fashion simply "to prove a point". Most people there really couldn't give a fiddlers, and the only one the atheist person is truly embarrassing, is themselves.

You'll find many posts from atheists here advocating NOT acting in a disrespectful fashion.
    Choosing not to take part in a religious ceremony you do not believe in is not disrespectful.
    As I pointed out earlier, taking part in a ceremony in which you do not believe may be regarded as disrespectful. If you don't believe in it it's meaningless at best, so why do it if you do not believe in it?
    As I read through more and more threads in the forum too, it seems to bear out my initial thoughts that most atheists are what I call natural atheists- they have no grievance with religion, they just don't believe in a deity, and then there are a small minority who are what I call rebellious atheists- those who have become atheist purely because of their various issues with religion. The rebellious atheists are the type that I find annoying because they seem to go out of their way to make a statement of their rebellion.

I think you'll find a lot of rebellious atheists here (and thank you for the description.) We were brought up in the Irish=RCC hegemony and don't want our kids' brains to be filled with the same nonsense.

Even if the indescribably horrid child rape never happened, I'd feel exactly the same about RCC control of education. It's wrong to have religion of any kind force-fed along with education. Even if it's not a religion that facilitates and excuses child rape.

This objection to the RCC is well founded, it is not being 'annoying'. Your 'natural atheist' thing is crap, any atheist would be appalled at the control of civil society the RCC has, and object strongly, whatever their own upbringing was. It's not 'anti-catholic' to object to RCC control, it's 'pro-secular' which is a noble goal and benefits those of all religions and no religion.
    In my opinion, this only does a dis-service to atheism, because people would see them as a bit, well, "unhinged" and irrational, the very thing these rebellious atheists seem to want to dismiss people who believe in a deity for!

It's belief in an invisible, untouchable, non-detectable by any sense or science, being which is truly irrational. Sorry, I'm not in a mood to sugar coat it for you.
    As one poster mentioned earlier- you really DO have to pick your battles, and I understand they didn't mean battles in the aggressive sense of the word, but in the way that if you come across to people as a confrontational and arrogant person, they aren't going to give you much time, and so your message is lost, but if you talk to people, you have a much better chance of getting your message across than behaving like a juvenille and stroppy rebellious teenager with no regard for anybody but yourself.

Mmm. You can't really get more arrogant than 'have you been saved'? 'Unbelievers are going to hell' and that sort of thing.

• Advertisement

I agree entirely. That's why I'd advise the OP not to take such a confrontational stance with his family.

Absolutely. And that respect should be reciprocated. The OP is not being asked to believe. Just to sit in a church with his family, remembering and commemorating a (presumed) loved one. What harm?

There's no suggestion his beliefs (or lack of) is not being respected. He certainly could be perceived as disrespectful in stubbornly refusing to participate in the catholic calisthenics.

There's no harm in it. If I go to a friend or family member's wedding or funeral, my mind will be on the friend or family member in question. The occasion. Not the ritual.

My sister got married a couple of years ago, and a very good friend of theirs is an Indian Hindu. He got involved in the hoppin' and jumpin'. Didn't take communion. Same as meself. Neither believed in the supernatural elements of the ceremony, but we were both fully involved in sharing the happy couples big day.

As an aside, my sister honoured me by asking me to give her away on the day. Should I have refused? Because it was in a church? Or would that have been daft? I'll be godfather to her second child in a couple of weeks. I agreed immediately when asked. To refuse wouldn't have been 'standing on principle'. It would have been 'being an arse'.

I don't believe for a second in the holygod elements of the christening. Neither does my sis, as it happens. That's her business. Nor does her daughter who'll be having her head splashed, but she'll be free to join this forum in her own good time. ;) But I'm happy to commit to taking a special interest in her daughter as long as we're both alive. Does this make me a hypocrite. I don't care. I'll respect all assembled there present and hope that respect would be returned. If its not, no skin off my nose.

Advertisement