Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Heya,

I've made a bit of a cock-up upgrading the ROM on my Galaxy S.
    I was upgrading from SlimBean 2.2 to 2.6.
    Something went wrong when I was flashing the new ROM. It now won't boot properly so I can't get back into CWM recovery mode.

I can get it into Download mode so I can use Odin.
    What do I need to do to get the phone back working?

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

If you can get into download mode you should be able to install a custom rom the same way you must have done before?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

Heya,

I've made a bit of a cock-up upgrading the ROM on my Galaxy S.
    I was upgrading from SlimBean 2.2 to 2.6.
    Something went wrong when I was flashing the new ROM. It now won't boot properly so I can't get back into CWM recovery mode.

I can get it into Download mode so I can use Odin.
    What do I need to do to get the phone back working?

Flash the original GB Rom with ODIN. Then root that ROM, as this should put on CWM recovery. I always flashed Team ICS sgs first and from there flashed slim. My way works but if you don't have that Rom and have CM9, use that as I think the Slim instructions use that.

If you can get into download mode you should be able to install a custom rom the same way you must have done before?

The way I did it originally was by following PogMoThoin's instructions in this post.
    Could I just repeat the process?

The way I did it originally was by following PogMoThoin's instructions in this post.
    Yup certainly.

• Advertisement

shizz wrote: »
    Yup certainly.

thanks I'll give it a shot.

Everything went grand when I followed PogMoThoin's instructions (i.e. I got back to running Slim-ICS).

However, something funky is happening though when I try to flash to SlimBean, even when it is a version of SlimBean that I have been on previously (eg. SlimBean 2.2). When I go to flash the new ROM in CWM recovery, it starts installing but then stops and gets stuck on the animation that appears when you turn on your phone.

I'm confused as to why this is happening since I previously had SlimBean 2.2 running on this phone.

Everything went grand when I followed PogMoThoin's instructions (i.e. I got back to running Slim-ICS).

However, something funky is happening though when I try to flash to SlimBean, even when it is a version of SlimBean that I have been on previously (eg. SlimBean 2.2). When I go to flash the new ROM in CWM recovery, it starts installing but then stops and gets stuck on the animation that appears when you turn on your phone.

I'm confused as to why this is happening since I previously had SlimBean 2.2 running on this phone.

Have you been following the instructions properly?

Download device_x.x.zip, Common_x,x.zip.
    Enter CWM, wipe data, format system ( in mounts and storage)
    Flash Device_x.x.zip***, then MUST flash Common_x.x.zip ( other files optional)
    *** - If the flash is too quick ( < 5 seconds or so), reflash device before flashing common or other zip files.

Have you been following the instructions properly?

Download device_x.x.zip, Common_x,x.zip.
    Enter CWM, wipe data, format system ( in mounts and storage)
    Flash Device_x.x.zip***, then MUST flash Common_x.x.zip ( other files optional)
    *** - If the flash is too quick ( < 5 seconds or so), reflash device before flashing common or other zip files.

Yeah. It seems to happen for every version of SlimBean for me for some strange reason. I have just found this post on an xda forum as a solution to the same problem I have. I'll try that tomorrow.
    I encountered the same issue when I came from SlimICS.

Hope you have flashed the GB bootloader. If it is GB boot loader, then: 1. Remove the battery and put it back. 2. Hold volume down and power button. 3. Once it starts and you see the vibrant logo, release power button (keep holding the vol down key) 4. You will enter the recovery, now follow the rom flashing steps again.

For download more. 1. Remove the battery and put it back. 2. Hold volume up and plug in the USB (assuming the other end is inserted into a usb port of the PC).

If you have not flashed GB bootloaders then here are the links http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1117990

Yeah. It seems to happen for every version of SlimBean for me for some strange reason. I have just found this post on an xda forum as a solution to the same problem I have. I'll try that tomorrow.

I'm just about to flash slim bean and I noticed that on the changelog on their website it mentions that for SGS variants, you should flash the device.zip 3 times before flashing the gapps.

• Advertisement

Just to let you know that it also happened to me. I just kept trying to get into recovery by holding down home, vol up and the on key. As soon as I saw the galaxy splash screen I took my finger off of the on key. Eventually, after the semaphore image it went into the recovery. I flashed device once more and then gapps. Bare in mind that the problem arose for me on the second flash of the device.zip, so i flashed it 3 times in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Has there been an offical update of the newest Android OS from Vodafone yet?

I'm on Android version 4.0.4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Has there been an offical update of the newest Android OS from Vodafone yet?

I'm on Android version 4.0.4

It's not getting ICS or JB, that is the latest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭splashthecash

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    It's not getting ICS or JB, that is the latest

So what do I have currently or can you tell from the version above? I dont know where I am here...:D...coming from iOS....people are talking about roots and kernals and gods knows what else.

Am I missing much in terms of the new version and is there anyway I get it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Are you sure it's a Galaxy S you are using and it has the stock ROM? You have a device with ICS on it. Only way to get that on the Galaxy S is with a custom ROM.

Are you sure it's a Galaxy S you are using and it has the stock ROM? You have a device with ICS on it. Only way to get that on the Galaxy S is with a custom ROM.

Ill hazard a guess he has an s3

Just to let you know that it also happened to me. I just kept trying to get into recovery by holding down home, vol up and the on key. As soon as I saw the galaxy splash screen I took my finger off of the on key. Eventually, after the semaphore image it went into the recovery. I flashed device once more and then gapps. Bare in mind that the problem arose for me on the second flash of the device.zip, so i flashed it 3 times in total.

Ah right! I'll try that so! Thanks!

Just flashed my wifes phone to SlimBean. It really is difficult to get back into CWM for that 3rd flash, just keep with it and give it time as it seems to take forever to boot beyond the Semaphore logo.

Thanks Shizz, I got my phone sorted last night. I didn't know there was a 3-button combo to get into CWM, so once I knew that I was sorted.
    Thanks again!

I can't for the life of me find where to change the resolution in SlimBean, the 182dpi default is a little too small, 200 is what she's been using. Anyone know where it is?

• Advertisement

I can't for the life of me find where to change the resolution in SlimBean, the 182dpi default is a little too small, 200 is what she's been using. Anyone know where it is?

You have to change the value in build.prop and then reboot and clear market data.

Taken from their FAQ on the website
    Use build.prop Editor and change ro.sf.lcd_density to the desired density. Once changed reboot device and clear market data. Remember Stock density for all devices except Gnex 240, Galaxy Nexus 320.

Its actually fairly simple. Its in the system folder. Just use a rooted file manager and edit it on your Phone.

You have to change the value in build.prop and then reboot and clear market data.

Taken from their FAQ on the website

Its actually fairly simple. Its in the system folder. Just use a rooted file manager and edit it on your Phone.

Thanks, I'll sort that later

System Settings > Developer Options > LCD density.

I never spotted this? I wonder why they don't tell you its there on the FAQ. Have you used it?

I never spotted this? I wonder why they don't tell you its there on the FAQ. Have you used it?

Yeah, it's odd that they tell you a different way to do it.
    I changed the density to 200, did a reboot and cleared play store data and it's worked grand.

Yeah, it's odd that they tell you a different way to do it.
    I changed the density to 200, did a reboot and cleared play store data and it's worked grand.

Thanks for that. much nicer way of doing it.

Ok so guys I asked on XDA a while ago and never really heard much back. I'll ask again but I thought it would be worth while posting here.

Have any of you guys noticed something wrong with your phone's music playback? I think this only occurs to me on a custom ROM but I've yet to test it on the stock ROM but for me the levels in most songs I play seem all over the place. A lot of phasing and low vocals, just generally like it was mixed horrendously and never mastered.

I've tested it on my girlfriends SGS which is also running a custom ROM and she has the same problems.

The ROM's I've noticed this on have all been ICS. Haven't listened to music on it yet on JB.

So anyone else have this problem?

PS. Voodoo sound helps slightly but in no way does it solve the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Raoul

Anyone like me still using the SGS?

Raoul wrote: »
    Anyone like me still using the SGS?

Yep, it's over 2 years old now and still going strong.
    I'm running SlimBean 3.0 (based on Android 4.1.2). It works better than it ever did, apart from the battery which is fairly wrecked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Raoul

Yep, it's over 2 years old now and still going strong.
    I'm running SlimBean 3.0 (based on Android 4.1.2). It works better than it ever did, apart from the battery which is fairly wrecked.

My battery is great at the moment. :confused: Lasting about two days with Wifi and data on.

I just updated to Android 4.2. Running smoothly at the moment. :)

Advertisement