Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

yoyo wrote: »
    Cyanogenmod 9, its pretty good. I've been having issues with my Galaxy S lately (possibly Three issues) where people ring me the call dials on their end but I don't see the incoming call. It doesn't always happen, but usually the person ringing it rings until voicemail even though the phone is on, anybody else expierience similar? Also sometimes I do get the incoming call and manage to answer just before it goes to voicemail, but its been ringing for the person on the other end much longer

Nick

yeah, I've had people emailing me saying they called etc but all I get are the voicemails and sometimes not even that. Assumed it was network related: I'm on three.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

yeah, I've had people emailing me saying they called etc but all I get are the voicemails and sometimes not even that. Assumed it was network related: I'm on three.

My uncle and his friend (both 3 with iPhones) are having similar issues he was telling me, although I said I'd throw it out here jic it was a slim possibility the rom was at fault. Its getting a little ridiculous at this stage tbh, will see how long it lasts, luckily on prepay and not locked into a contract

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Got my Galaxy S3 today folks, am just updating the Galaxy S to Slim 4.2 for the Missis. Didn't like the ligtning launcher so I installed Zeam for her. It'll not get many more updates, hopefully this 4.2 is stable and she can stay on it for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Got my Galaxy S3 today folks, am just updating the Galaxy S to Slim 4.2 for the Missis. Didn't like the ligtning launcher so I installed Zeam for her. It'll not get many more updates, hopefully this 4.2 is stable and she can stay on it for a while.

Why not try Apex or Nova, they seem to be launchers of choice for ICS.
    Apex is my cup of tea on my tablet.
    Still using ADW EX on my Galaxy S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

PogMoThoin wrote: »

JB is next on the cards lads, its looking good...

• Advertisement

lewis wrote: »
    JB is next on the cards lads, its looking good...

It'll be a while. I read that JB sources arent coming out for another couple weeks at the earliest. I wouldnt expect that a first release of a JB i9000 rom will be stable.

We will soon be pushing the limit on what this phone can handle. 60fps "butter" stuff may be too far. I just hope for the smaller performance improvements and maybe google Now.

It'll be a while. I read that JB sources arent coming out for another couple weeks at the earliest. I wouldnt expect that a first release of a JB i9000 rom will be stable.

We will soon be pushing the limit on what this phone can handle. 60fps "butter" stuff may be too far. I just hope for the smaller performance improvements and maybe google Now.

I can't see why a full port wouldn't work tbh, reading up on it JB seems to be very close in terms of requirements to ICS, and the GS seems to handle that perfectly :) . The Google now thing would work as well I imagine, the phone has a mic after all :pac: . But it will be a while, I think Cyanogen will only start porting once the full sources are released by Google, which is a while away...

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Just flashed Darkys 11.0 Black Edition 4.0.4 ICS, coming from 2.3.6, have to say it has transformed the phone.
    No issues or problems, seems very reliable and stable, and has all the lovely ICS features.

http://www.darkyrom.com/index.php?threads/darkyrom-v11-0-black-edition-android-4-0-4-ics.7941/

It will keep me going until the upgrade in a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Raoul

Lads,what do you do when you the phone isn't going into mass storage mode. Just happened out of nowhere. Using the right cable and everything. any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭G1032

Raoul wrote: »
    Lads,what do you do when you the phone isn't going into mass storage mode. Just happened out of nowhere. Using the right cable and everything. any ideas?
    Have you checked the settings under Storage and make sure mass storage it selected? Other than that I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

CM10!!!111

Not tried it yet tho. Holding off for a while.

G1032 wrote: »
    Have you checked the settings under Storage and make sure mass storage it selected? Other than that I don't know.

It actually just fixed itself magically. :confused:

Not going to try CM10 for a while. You should try MIUI. It is quite good. Really good interface.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 rommy

Great ics rom here hxxp://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1436854 using it for a while now with no problems at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

I've been in and out of this thread for months trying to work out how to upgrade my version of Android. I still haven't done it. I thought my prayers had been answered with this Wiki, especially with Heimdall Suite. But no, it seems I need Gingerbread installed.

Also, I simply cannot get my Mac to register my phone's existence to flash anything.

Debug mode is on, I thought these programs also rooted phones. No luck, like.

Honestly, all I want to do is install some more recent version so I can use instagram and to have something that's more stable.

Surely it cannot be that difficult?

sarkozy wrote: »
    I've been in and out of this thread for months trying to work out how to upgrade my version of Android. I still haven't done it. I thought my prayers had been answered with this Wiki, especially with Heimdall Suite. But no, it seems I need Gingerbread installed.

Also, I simply cannot get my Mac to register my phone's existence to flash anything.

Debug mode is on, I thought these programs also rooted phones. No luck, like.

Honestly, all I want to do is install some more recent version so I can use instagram and to have something that's more stable.

Surely it cannot be that difficult?

I'm not sure if Kies works on a Mac (Kies is like iTunes to update the phone, don't use Kies if you want ICS/custom ROM), but to get ICS onto it you should use Windows, certainly for the rooting and flashing CWM. You can follow this guide on how to get Gingerbread on the phone. From there you can root and install CWM, then giving access to custom roms like cyanogenmod. I think Kies has difficulty with Android 2.1 (I had to use Odin to flash 2.3 on for someone using above method) so you may need access to a Windows machine

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

yoyo wrote: »
    I'm not sure if Kies works on a Mac (Kies is like iTunes to update the phone, don't use Kies if you want ICS/custom ROM), but to get ICS onto it you should use Windows, certainly for the rooting and flashing CWM. You can follow this guide on how to get Gingerbread on the phone. From there you can root and install CWM, then giving access to custom roms like cyanogenmod. I think Kies has difficulty with Android 2.1 (I had to use Odin to flash 2.3 on for someone using above method) so you may need access to a Windows machine

Nick
    Thanks.

Remarkably, I installed Kies on the work PC and it updated to something, possibly Gingerbread or ICS (I had to do this twice).

Now the problem is I cannot update or install new programs because it says "Installation error - Insufficient Storage for Apps", even though there's loads.

I've wiped the cache. Still the same problem. And now the i9000 won't connect to Kies, either.

sarkozy wrote: »
    Thanks.

Remarkably, I installed Kies on the work PC and it updated to something, possibly Gingerbread or ICS (I had to do this twice).

Now the problem is I cannot update or install new programs because it says "Installation error - Insufficient Storage for Apps", even though there's loads.

I've wiped the cache. Still the same problem. And now the i9000 won't connect to Kies, either.

It would be Gingerbread, ICS will never officially reach our Galaxy S's unfortunately. Regarding the issue of connecting to Kies, make sure Kies mode is set in Settings>About phone>USB Settings. The app storage issue could be the market app needs its data wiped.Settings>Applications>market/play store and delete data/cache etc. See if that helps

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭sassyj

Hi, I have the Samsung Galaxy S1 about 16 months old. The phone has started hanging/freezing. Some times I have to remove battery to get it to turn back on, sometimes it just reboots itself, any suggestions? Gingerbread firmware.

sassyj wrote: »
    Hi, I have the Samsung Galaxy S1 about 16 months old. The phone has started hanging/freezing. Some times I have to remove battery to get it to turn back on, sometimes it just reboots itself, any suggestions? Gingerbread firmware.

If you're not up for hacking the phone and putting on a custom ROM, I suggest a factory reset. Obviously back up anything important first.

If the problem persists, it might be worth trying a custom ICS rom.

If that doesn't fix it, bring it back to the shop. If they kick up a fuss, say that you paid over €500 for a phone and you expect it to last more than 16months. Reasonably, you'd expect 5 years from something that expensive, under normal conditions.

I think the hacking is too complicated for me :) I see there is a factory reset and a hard reset - what's the diff and what would you recommend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

I've had mine roughly about the same time and have the very same symptoms, never upgraded the phone, running Kernel version 2.6.32.9

I think the hacking is too complicated for me :) I see there is a factory reset and a hard reset - what's the diff and what would you recommend

Hard reset usually refers to pulling the battery to turn off the phone.

Factory reset is what you're looking for. You can also run whatever updates that PoS software Kies tries to install. That should get you to the latest GB release.

It is worth looking into installing Cyanogen Mod 9 (ICS). You'll never look back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Hi,

I'm selling my SGS to someone but its got lots of old videos and what app pics and pics still on it - how do I get all of these saved without doing it thru KIES (god awful)

Also, how to do a full wipe/reset for the new owner please?

Thanks

MidlandsM wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm selling my SGS to someone but its got lots of old videos and what app pics and pics still on it - how do I get all of these saved without doing it thru KIES (god awful)

Also, how to do a full wipe/reset for the new owner please?

Thanks

No need to use Kies, just change USB mode to be mass storage, the phones internal memory and SD will then appear in my computer. Just copy the pictures/videos that way :)

Nick

Hard reset usually refers to pulling the battery to turn off the phone.

Factory reset is what you're looking for. You can also run whatever updates that PoS software Kies tries to install. That should get you to the latest GB release.

It is worth looking into installing Cyanogen Mod 9 (ICS). You'll never look back.

Is there a link to steps to do this, might give it a go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Is there a link to steps to do this, might give it a go

I posted a step by step guide ages ago
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78591599&postcount=4992

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Can any of you guys please let me know what the latest firmware for VF Ireland is on the samfirmware site?

I see a few 2.3.6 firmwares with UK/Ireland as the region, but no indication as to what carrier they are for.

Donating my SGS1 to my mum, its on Darkys, but I'd like to simplify it for her before handing it over.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Anybody try Slimrom's Jelly Bean ROM (Slim Bean 1.0)?

Anybody try Slimrom's Jelly Bean ROM (Slim Bean 1.0)?
    Nope, very tentative about JB for the timebeing. Let me know if you try it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Raoul wrote: »
    Nope, very tentative about JB for the timebeing. Let me know if you try it.

I'm quite tentative as well, I am hoping someone else on here has tried it :D

Advertisement