Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I'm still on 3.6, but only because the md5 check for the ROM with the Update Me app keeps failing for 3.7 every time I download. The same is now happening for 3.8. I'm not that bothered, I'm due an upgrade the first week in June, gonna get the S3

This seems to be happening to everyone. I still flashed the base that I downloaded, which failed, by accident but it worked anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

I had huge problems with the phone app on 3.8 when I upgraded.

Downgraded to 3.7 until last night when I found the time to do a full wipe and reinstall. All works fine now.

There was a change in framework going from 3.6 to 3.7.

edit: Oops, still having problems with 3.8 (com,android.phone crashing all the time). Gone back to 3.7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Yeah, think I'll leave it as is until I upgrade, I'll do a full wipe and update to whatever Slim then before I give it to the missis.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

yeah I'm having problems with the upgrade as well. I did a full wipe and installed but it still isn't working properly. Gmail keeps crashing, and I'm getting constant messages saying "unfortunately, the process android.process.media has stopped"

Any ideas?

Any ideas?

Do a full wipe and install it again is only way to fix it.

• Advertisement

I've just done that and it's exactly the same. I head into the recovery, do factory wipe, wipe cache and then wipe dalvik cache. install from zip and it's till the same...

I've just done that and it's exactly the same. I head into the recovery, do factory wipe, wipe cache and then wipe dalvik cache. install from zip and it's till the same...

Time for a full wipe with Odin then so:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78591599&postcount=4992

Replace the Slim versions with 3.8

Time for a full wipe with Odin then so:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78591599&postcount=4992

Replace the Slim versions with 3.8

ok thanks, I'll give that a go now

god damn it, it's boot looping when I put slim on, now I'll have to start again as it won't go into recovery mode:mad:

right I'm back in business but I wiped the internal sd card so I've lost all settings. The new slim 3.8 comes with a lightning launcher which i really don't like, does anyone have any recommendations? I quite like the stock ICS launcher so something pretty close to that would be good.

• Advertisement

right I'm back in business but I wiped the internal sd card so I've lost all settings. The new slim 3.8 comes with a lightning launcher which i really don't like, does anyone have any recommendations? I quite like the stock ICS launcher so something pretty close to that would be good.

You'll get the Nova launcher in the Update Me app

You'll get the Nova launcher in the Update Me app

brilliant! thanks for all the help :)

Sorry, Zeam launcher is what I meant (a few beers on board :))

brilliant! thanks for all the help :)

The default ICS launcher is in the update me thing. Its called launcher2 I think.

shizz wrote: »
    The default ICS launcher is in the update me thing. Its called launcher2 I think.

yeah, that's the one I downloaded and it's working perfectly. I just need to get it properly set up but so far, so good

everything was working perfectly until I tried to call somebody today. I got a com.phone.android force close message. A reboot gives the same...

I'll try flash 3.8 again and see if that sorts it.

everything was working perfectly until I tried to call somebody today. I got a com.phone.android force close message. A reboot gives the same...

I'll try flash 3.8 again and see if that sorts it.

This is a common error. From their website "IMPORTANT NOTE: For all phone except Galaxy Nexus, if phone dialer FC's, d/l Phone app via UpdateME/ apps. Clear phone apk data and try. Problem solved."

shizz wrote: »
    This is a common error. From their website "IMPORTANT NOTE: For all phone except Galaxy Nexus, if phone dialer FC's, d/l Phone app via UpdateME/ apps. Clear phone apk data and try. Problem solved."

well that was about the fastest solution I have ever had, thanks for that :)

3.9 is out. The first few OTA updates were completely hassle free but they are getting a bit annoying now. The new lightning launcher wasn't great in 3.8 guise but it's really horrible now. Very messy looking. Downloading from the "update me" app doesn't seem to be working either.

I'm doing another reboot now and then I'll see if it works. if not I'll be going back to 3.8.

edit - I've just read the changelog...it appears I may be an idiot:rolleyes:

I ordered my new S3 today, should have it next week.

Hopefully I'll see you folks over in the SGS3 thread, my time with this one is coming to an end. It has served me well, it's still a great phone. I'll be wiping it and giving it to the missis with Slim 3.9 (whatever is latest), I'll not be bothering to update it further (unless they add something new), just the odd factory reset to keep it fresh. This way i can reinstall all apps with data everytime in Titanium, nice and quick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

Is anyone else having trouble with the touch version of boards? Some posts are being cut off after the first line.

I just flashed the latest CM9 nightly and I want to check if anyone else is experiencing this before i report it.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭DRose1

Bit of long shot here...

Big fan of the Galaxy S form factor and with Slim ICS installed, I am perfectly happy with its software for the time being. With that said, I wouldn't mind upgrading to the Galaxy S Advance; Hardware upgrade, flash on the camera and a very similar form factor in a nutshell.

The problem: Apart from a couple of guys working very slowly on XDA, there is little or nothing in the way of ROMS for the Advance and hence, you would be stuck with Gingerbread if you were to upgrade - That is not something Id be willing to do given how much I like ICS.

Query: Is it feasible to approach a good ROM developer and offer them X amount to develop say Slim ICS for the Galaxy S Advance in a relatively short space of time? Or would the x amount be too high to even bother exploring it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Some might but most only work on the device is because they have it or feel they benefit from making a rom on a given device.
    Is the source available for the advance ? what hardware is inside ? Is it similar to anything else on the market now ? Is their a recovery available ? I take it Odin etc works on the advance ? All will will devs port something to the advance. Your best beet is to try AOKP or CM before Slim, as without CM, Slim won't make it to a device.

Not due upgrade from Vodafone till 7th july, girl in shop got it wrong :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Not due upgrade from Vodafone till 7th july, girl in shop got it wrong :(

More time for ROMs to be released then.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Simi wrote: »
    Is anyone else having trouble with the touch version of boards? Some posts are being cut off after the first line.

I just flashed the latest CM9 nightly and I want to check if anyone else is experiencing this before i report it.

Not alone here, on the 29/05 nightly and the touch site. Apparently all the June nightlys have wifi activation random rebooting happening, so am staying put on this one for the time being. Also Chrome Beta upgrade last night causes it to crash now on open :( . Dled Dolphin HD browser though and so far so good :)

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    Not alone here, on the 29/05 nightly and the touch site. Apparently all the June nightlys have wifi activation random rebooting happening, so am staying put on this one for the time being. Also Chrome Beta upgrade last night causes it to crash now on open :( . Dled Dolphin HD browser though and so far so good :)

Nick

Dolphin is the mutts nuts. I use it and swear by it, I even pay for the Lastpass and Xmarks addons so I have full password and bookmark (not all, just a mobile set) sync across all browsers on all platforms (including Fedora on my laptop)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Just flashes slim 3.9 and I have to admit I'm very impressed aside from one or two issues. The first is my phone no longer seems to recognise my sim card, and the second and much lesser issue is I can't seem to configure zeam launchers windows.

Just flashes slim 3.9 and I have to admit I'm very impressed aside from one or two issues. The first is my phone no longer seems to recognise my sim card, and the second and much lesser issue is I can't seem to configure zeam launchers windows.

The external sd I'd now mounted as emmc. You configure zeam in zeam preferences , just press menu on homescreen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

The external sd I'd now mounted as emmc. You configure zeam in zeam preferences , just press menu on homescreen

Gah, dunce cap for me, had the sim in backwards. As for the launcher, I just flashed launcher2 from the Update app and there's no preferences option that I can see. When I use menu all I get up is wallpaper, manage apps and system settings.

Advertisement