Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

You first!

I shouldn't be so hesitant. JB is very close to ICS and Slim doesnt release stuff unless it's ready which is why it has taken much longer than other projects on XDA to reach JB.

I think I'll give it until 1.1 to see how things go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Ghandee wrote: »
    Can any of you guys please let me know what the latest firmware for VF Ireland is on the samfirmware site?

I see a few 2.3.6 firmwares with UK/Ireland as the region, but no indication as to what carrier they are for.

Donating my SGS1 to my mum, its on Darkys, but I'd like to simplify it for her before handing it over.

Regards

Anyone any advise on this?

She's getting eager for the phone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

It didn't matter really. Choosing a Vodafone firmware won't make any difference other than ensuring it's full of bloatware.

http://www.sammobile.com/firmware/?page=3&model=GT-I9000&pcode=XEU&os=1&type=1#

This is an open uk/ireland firmware, it'll do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

I was thinking of getting a Galaxy S Advance. But some of the reviews say the Gingerbread is a bit slow. I see there is a post here to upgrade the OS to ICS (thx!) ... is this worth doing? can the S Advance handle this?

...and as a side question ... how long does a battery charge last on the S Adv? (i know this is very dependant on what its used for...but input is much appreciated)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I was thinking of getting a Galaxy S Advance. But some of the reviews say the Gingerbread is a bit slow. I see there is a post here to upgrade the OS to ICS (thx!) ... is this worth doing? can the S Advance handle this?

...and as a side question ... how long does a battery charge last on the S Adv? (i know this is very dependant on what its used for...but input is much appreciated)

Its worth updating to ICS alright, a build like Cyanogenmod 9 or SlimICS are popular and very stable. I'm not sure if the GS Advance needs a different build (it more than likely does) so check out the XDA forums to see if there is a custom rom available for it.
    You first!

I shouldn't be so hesitant. JB is very close to ICS and Slim doesnt release stuff unless it's ready which is why it has taken much longer than other projects on XDA to reach JB.

I think I'll give it until 1.1 to see how things go.
    Tempted to install Cyanogenmod 10 myself, its meant to be pritty stable but reading over at XDA there are some small issues. I think I'll wait another few weeks and see if it improves. I think the SlimJB uses Cyanogenmod as a base so issues with cyanogen probably occur with slim as well

Nick

• Advertisement

Well folks, decided to take the plunge and update the Galaxy S to Jelly Bean. It actually works very well, and without any major problems so far anyway. The only issue is that when you mount the phone in the machine only the internal storage gets mounted (so your MicroSD won't appear), this is a known bug with this ROM and is seemingly a priority for fixing.
    Theres a few glitches, but nothing to major. Google Now does work but is a bit slow and doesn't return all the data (pictures for e.g are excluded in cards), I also find its a bit hit and miss, although that could be my accent!

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

I installed Slim JB for a while but had a couple issues. The first time round, very few apps (including a few that are vital) weren't compatible so went back to ICS. When I thought that it might be a dconf DPI issue, I reflashed but couldnt get the wifi or data to work.

Gone back to Slim ICS until version 1.1. Also not having microSD could be a tipping point for me.

Seemed pretty awesome, just as fast or faster than ICS when working. Google now looked like it had massive potential but didnt get to use it fully.

I assume things will be like ICS for a while, and JB will eventually become more awesome!

I installed Slim JB for a while but had a couple issues. The first time round, very few apps (including a few that are vital) weren't compatible so went back to ICS. When I thought that it might be a dconf DPI issue, I reflashed but couldnt get the wifi or data to work.

Gone back to Slim ICS until version 1.1. Also not having microSD could be a tipping point for me.

Seemed pretty awesome, just as fast or faster than ICS when working. Google now looked like it had massive potential but didnt get to use it fully.

I assume things will be like ICS for a while, and JB will eventually become more awesome!

Looks like I spoke too soon as well! When listening to mp3s on JB all songs were duplicated in the listings for some reason (not physically as only one of the song existed on storage), the phone seemed to lock up on the alarm this morning (requiring battery pull) and lost the ringtones.
    I went back to ICS as at least its stable, JB is interesting but not fit for daily use yet! :)

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

guys after installing ics and slim etc theres no fm radio.is there any way of getting it back?and i mean normal offline fm radio not internet radio?i already had it and it worked fine.

thanks.

crazygeryy wrote: »
    guys after installing ics and slim etc theres no fm radio.is there any way of getting it back?and i mean normal offline fm radio not internet radio?i already had it and it worked fine.

thanks.

You can use Spirit FM (free one here on XDA), be aware to read the info/warnings regarding speaker damage on that page. In some cases the FM Radio has caused speaker damage to Galaxy S's on ICS, although I'm not to familiar with the whole process there does appear to be risk involved (although reading the warnings should give you the instructions how to play safe)

Nick

• Advertisement

yoyo wrote: »
    You can use Spirit FM (free one here on XDA), be aware to read the info/warnings regarding speaker damage on that page. In some cases the FM Radio has caused speaker damage to Galaxy S's on ICS, although I'm not to familiar with the whole process there does appear to be risk involved (although reading the warnings should give you the instructions how to play safe)

Nick

thanks for the reply.ive read what you showed me.it sounds risky to be honest.are there any roms that there would be a radio on?the ics with slim is brilliant but i did use the radio a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

thanks for the reply.ive read what you showed me.it sounds risky to be honest.are there any roms that there would be a radio on?the ics with slim is brilliant but i did use the radio a lot.

See, Samsung are refusing to release ICS for the Galaxy S, which is why there's only the custom ROM route.

Indeed. FM radio is not included in AOSP Android, from which all ICS (& JB) roms are derived.

The FM radio on the Galaxy S (& any other phones which feature one) is hacked into Android by the manufacturer and cannot be easily replicated on an AOSP derived rom.

Replicating such a complicated feature across a multitude of devices would be a difficult task to say the least & rom developers have stated it's not going to happen anytime soon.

So your only options are roms derived from original Galaxy S firmware or Spirit FM which is dodgy as you already know. I tried it once & and it interfered with phone calls, causing them to drop after 20sec :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

The lack of an FM radio is probably one of the only negative things about using a custom ROM. It's quite annoying for anybody who is a fan of an FM radio on their phone, even the most basic Nokia phones have it!

Simi wrote: »
    Indeed. FM radio is not included in AOSP Android, from which all ICS (& JB) roms are derived.

The FM radio on the Galaxy S (& any other phones which feature one) is hacked into Android by the manufacturer and cannot be easily replicated on an AOSP derived rom.

Replicating such a complicated feature across a multitude of devices would be a difficult task to say the least & rom developers have stated it's not going to happen anytime soon.

So your only options are roms derived from original Galaxy S firmware or Spirit FM which is dodgy as you already know. I tried it once & and it interfered with phone calls, causing them to drop after 20sec :-/

can u name some roms derived from galaxy firm ware. please so i can just have a look anyway.

can u name some roms derived from galaxy firm ware. please so i can just have a look anyway.

Gingerbread ones I think work safer with FM Radio, or even flashing back to stock...

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭nicebutdim

yoyo wrote: »
    Gingerbread ones I think work safer with FM Radio, or even flashing back to stock...

Nick

I'd recommend XXJVU ( 2.3.6 ). Seems pretty popular too

Anything with either JW or JV in the title is derived from a samsung gingerbread firmware e.g. JW6, JVU etc. They should all come with the samsung FM radio app.

As for which one I'd recommend, I'm afraid I can't really help you. Pretty much all rom development for the SGS has switched to ICS (and JB) now. The last samsung derived rom I used was SURFACE, which has long since been abandoned by it's developer (also left in a fairly buggy state I believe, so I wouldn't recommend it).

listened to internet radio this morning from 8am to 1030.battery started at 83% ended up at 33%.there's no way FM radio would use that much juice that quick. there's still a lot to be said for it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭OldManJenkin

I tried to upgrade a Samsung Galaxy S from stock to CM7 by following
    this link; I managed to root it, install ROM manager and flash Clockworkmod Recovery, but when I put the phone into recovery mode, it still has the standard recovery screen! ROM manager says that it has been flashed successfully, anybody got any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Raoul

I tried to upgrade a Samsung Galaxy S from stock to CM7 by following
    this link; I managed to root it, install ROM manager and flash Clockworkmod Recovery, but when I put the phone into recovery mode, it still has the standard recovery screen! ROM manager says that it has been flashed successfully, anybody got any ideas?

Try and redo it?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭OldManJenkin

I've tried reflashing, reinstalling Rom manager then reflashing and also entering recovery mode via power + home + volume, all with no luck.

I've tried reflashing, reinstalling Rom manager then reflashing and also entering recovery mode via power + home + volume, all with no luck.

ROM Manager from stock doesn't always flash the CWM recovery successfully I think, I've seen this happen with a GS2. Look into using Odin (requires a Windows machine), see here. You will need to ensure you are on XXJW4 firmware doing this, just follow the instructions and you'll be fine. Btw you should try the CM9 ICS nightlys over CM7, it is ICS and very stable on the GS (many more useful features than GB).

Nick

Finally traded in my Galaxy S for an S III on Saturday. Just saying thanks to all that have contributed here. It's been a great source of info and guidance.....

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

nicebutdim wrote: »
    Finally traded in my Galaxy S for an S III on Saturday. Just saying thanks to all that have contributed here. It's been a great source of info and guidance.....

Where can you trade and how much did you get towards the new phone? I know vodafone were taking old phones for money off when upgrading, is that still going on?

Edit: Was looking around there, seems you can trade in Carphone Warehouse. I wondewr how much they give for S1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Where can you trade and how much did you get towards the new phone? I know vodafone were taking old phones for money off when upgrading, is that still going on?

Vodafone shops will only give you about 70-80 quid for it. You'd get more than that on Adverts.ie

Edit: Was looking around there, seems you can trade in Carphone Warehouse. I wondewr how much they give for S1

€ 100 in CPW, I think Meteor were offering € 80

The first "official" Cyanogenmod 10 nightly build for this phone has been released see here. Trying it out again and this time around much smoother, havn't noticed any major issues yet and it runs pritty nippey. Audio doesn't duplicate and both internal sd and external sd mount on mass storage mode.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Hey guys,

I've inherited my dad's Galaxy S, a nice upgrade from my SE X8. I reset it to factory settings and spent a few hours tinkering with it, but then I started having trouble with the WiFi connection. The phone is technically connected to my home network but browsers, apps etc won't connect to the internet. Laptop and my other phone are connected to the WiFi network fine so it's definitely a problem with the Galaxy.

I've deleted and reset the connection, turned the phone on and off, all the usual tricks, to no avail.

If anyone has any idea what's going on, I'd really appreciate any tips.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I've inherited my dad's Galaxy S, a nice upgrade from my SE X8. I reset it to factory settings and spent a few hours tinkering with it, but then I started having trouble with the WiFi connection. The phone is technically connected to my home network but browsers, apps etc won't connect to the internet. Laptop and my other phone are connected to the WiFi network fine so it's definitely a problem with the Galaxy.

I've deleted and reset the connection, turned the phone on and off, all the usual tricks, to no avail.

If anyone has any idea what's going on, I'd really appreciate any tips.

I take your on stock firmware?

Have you tried uninstalling then reinstalling the apps, or clearing there cache/data?

There`s a handy little app called Wifi Analyzer, I had problems when I was on the SGS1 and trying to connect to the wifi, while on stock, this app helped me out.

Advertisement